New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 277234)

manually activating credit and player units?

By aobrien5

47 days ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 days ago by aobrien5
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2020-09-1216.14.593800226989776508626.jpg
20200912_112514.jpg
20200912_112539.jpg

#1 47 days ago

I'm trying to revive a formerly mouse infested Grand Prix, and I have some questions about the player and credit units.

I have torn down, cleaned and rebuilt both units, including replacing springs. Unfortunately, not all springs were available from PBR so I used the closest I could find at the hardware store. Now, since this is my first EM, I'm not entirely sure how the units should act when manually activating the coils.

When activating the step up cool, it seems the spring isn't strong enough to pull the gear all the way around and reset the plunger properly.

For the credit unit, the reset cool seems to allow well more than 1 credit to come off.

Please correct my terminology if I'm getting names wrong.

Thank you!

20200912_112514.jpg20200912_112539.jpg
#2 47 days ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

When activating the step up cool, it seems the spring isn't strong enough to pull the gear all the way around and reset the plunger properly.

Unhook the spring on end by the pole it hooks onto and turn it a full turn and hook it on again so it's stronger.

Quoted from aobrien5:

For the credit unit, the reset cool seems to allow well more than 1 credit to come off.

Teeth worn ? Spring too weak ? Or too strong ? That one you'll have to play with.

LTG : )

#3 47 days ago

When you push the step up plunger all the way in, then release it, the unit should step up one step on its own. This can be a bit tricky by hand though, you need to remove your finger very quickly. If you do it slowly, you'll be fighting the springs for a bit, and lose momentum. Often I'll have units that struggle a bit by hand, but work fine with the fast action in game. (although the best logic is, if it works fine by hand, it'll work *really* good in game)

The ratchets should prevent more than one step of motion on the replay unit. Just push down on the plunger, and let go, and it should move one step.

But, to confirm. By the 'credit' unit, do you mean the credit counter in the back box, or the stepper in the base of the game? The stepper that counts credits with the number wheel attached is called the Replay Unit, not the Credit Unit. It should step up and down one step. The Credit Unit (located in the bottom next to the ball count unit) counts how many players have been added to the current game. It should step up one step, and always do a full reset.

#4 47 days ago

They may need cleaning as that can affect their up and down movement. Read more here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

#5 47 days ago

I would try holding the various stops open on the cog wheel and then turn it to its max and release to see if it snaps back nicely.( I'm assuming it's still in its ex-factory setting) It should travel back smartly. If its sluggish, could well be that the shaft is gummed up with old grease so you would have to dismantle and clean it and put just a drop of light oil on the spindle so it rotates smoothly. Reassemble and check again. Dont be tempted to just over wind the spindle spring or lubricating everything in sight or you are just masking the underlying problem and it will just come back later.

#6 47 days ago

The replay unit (thanks for the correction) works much better when I "flick" the coils rather than pressing them more firmly.

If I'm understanding the player unit, it just has 4 positions, then the reset opens it up to completely reset? The sprocket moves pretty easily by hand but activating the coil just kind of locks in. I have to pull the plunger out again to get it to step up.

The pic shows it in this state. Reset cool activates to reset, then one pulse of step coil.

2020-09-1216.14.593800226989776508626.jpg
#7 47 days ago

Four positions and full reset, correct

#8 46 days ago
Quoted from currieddog:

They may need cleaning as that can affect their up and down movement. Read more here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

I wish I'd found this before I did all the cleaning! Good tricks in there.

#9 45 days ago

Any tips for the player unit?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 29.95
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store
$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside