Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 153 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dmacy
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    20210704_094638 (resized).jpg
    Old Hurst shifter (resized).jpg
    autox (resized).png
    1987-mazda-rx-7-rx7-turbo-ii-coupe-for-sale-classifieds-1-1024x685 (resized).jpg
    20170529_194319 (resized).jpg
    DSCN1722 (resized).JPG
    celica_ranier (resized).jpg
    celica3 (resized).jpg
    20230129_170428 (resized).jpg
    20230129_165117 (resized).jpg
    F3993E8D-CCEE-4346-87B5-65B7F42E044E (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#126 1 year ago

Great thread!

When I got my license, I basically inherited my dad's '72 Bronco with the famed 3 on the tree. That always confused my friends. After that it was only and ever manual transmissions for me and my eventual wife for nearly 30 years. I was a big fan of the late 80's and early 90's WRC homologation models (like the 323 GTX, Galant VR4, Isuzu Impulse RS, etc) In college I bought an '88 Toyota Celica All-Trac Turbo (GT4 to the rest of the world). A few years later I replaced it with a '91 All-Trac Turbo. Both of these were great fun for bombing up to the ski hill sideways. After that it was all manual Subarus for a few different models, including two we still own; '00 Impreza RS, '05 Legacy GT Wagon (rare in 5MT form). Both we purchased new. The final manual left in my current fleet is an '88 Toyota MR Supercharged.

As an aside, I never thought I could hate a MT in a car, but there was one exception; the Gen4 Outback with the 6MT. Subaru was lazy and just plopped the same transmission from the Turbo Legacy. The end result was a terrible match of gear ratios to an under powered 2.5L 4cyl. Loaded down and traveling over mountain passes was pure agony. I really think I would have preferred the AT or CVT in that thing. OOF!

I am proud to say both my kids learned how to drive stick. My daughter never grew an interest beyond maybe the novelty. But after a couple of years, my 19 year old son finally get's why it's a magical thing. I seriously doubt he has even met anybody in his peer group that could drive one. It's too bad.

Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Anyone else have a right hand drive manual?

Don't own, but renting one was a highlight on a trip to the UK. It took me a while to get used to extending my left arm fully out for the 1-2 gate. Shortly after picking up the car I meant to shift down to 2nd to squirt through a roundabout, only to find out I was in 4th and almost got rear-ended. That was a Nissan Juke Sport I think they called it; turbo diesel with a 6MT. Super fun.

Anyway, thanks for the non-pinball diversion.
    celica3 (resized).jpgcelica3 (resized).jpgcelica_ranier (resized).jpgcelica_ranier (resized).jpgDSCN1722 (resized).JPGDSCN1722 (resized).JPG20170529_194319 (resized).jpg20170529_194319 (resized).jpg

#140 1 year ago

Hooray for the new models added in 2023 that are available with MT! According to this article the total is now 38.

https://gearjunkie.com/motors/manual-transmission-cars

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/manual-transmission-fan-club-3-pedals-required?tu=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.