IMG_8160 (resized).JPG
IMG_8159 (resized).JPG
IMG_8158 (resized).JPG
IMG_8155 (resized).JPG
IMG_8154 (resized).JPG
IMG_8153 (resized).JPG
IMG_1986 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get a manual for United's Brazil? Nothing happens when I turn it on, I don't even know where the fuses are or if there is an attract mode or anything about it.

#3 7 years ago

Brazil does not have an attract mode. When you turn it on, it should throw to tilt.

To start the game, flick the coin switch - several motors should turn and a ball should lift to the playfield (if all 8 balls are installed).

From there, for each coin switch flick, something may or may not happen. Odds may jump, feature may be awarded.

Brazil is a unique game. It is the only game that allows you to select a line. I'm working through every bingo and have not been into Brazil yet. So I'm not sure how this feature works, exactly.

But, that's the basics. By default, five balls will be lifted. The last three can be earned if you press the right front button and strum the coin switch. You have to press the right button each time to keep it in extra ball mode. If you just strum the switch it will start a new game.

Hope that helps!

Fuses are in the back of the head, IIRC.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. I found the fuses in the bottom of the base behind the side door. All look ok, coins flow ok and trip the contact but nothing happens. Will try and trace it out a bit.

This thing looks brand new inside. No corrosion at all, it's probably something obvious
Mark

#6 7 years ago

Send some pictures if you can......sounds like its in nice condition.

#7 7 years ago

If you can't fix it and would interested in selling send me a PM

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from BingoButch:

If you can't fix it and would interested in selling send me a PM

Butch. Are you not getting my e-mails or phone calls? What's up?

#9 7 years ago

Dennis,

My son just told me that you emailed can not thank you enough !! Will be sending you something in the mail today or tomorrow.
I was in Saint Louis twice the past month in a half felt like swinging by and just loading up that Rodeo

#10 7 years ago

Glad to hear you are OK Butch. No need to send anything. Glad to help out. I was just worrying that you did not receive the package.
Give me a call next time you are in town.
Would be tough for me to give up the Rodeo at this time. Maybe in the future. Your United collection would be the obvious place for it. As far as I know, yours is probably the most complete.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Send some pictures if you can......sounds like its in nice condition.

Here is the backglass, sorry about the yellow color - poor light. Its missing some paint obviously but I think its mostly in blank areas: IMG_1986 (resized).JPGIMG_1986 (resized).JPG

The playfield, which looks pretty good: IMG_8153 (resized).JPGIMG_8153 (resized).JPGIMG_8154 (resized).JPGIMG_8154 (resized).JPG

and the internals, which look pretty clean: IMG_8160 (resized).JPGIMG_8160 (resized).JPGIMG_8159 (resized).JPGIMG_8159 (resized).JPGIMG_8158 (resized).JPGIMG_8158 (resized).JPGIMG_8155 (resized).JPGIMG_8155 (resized).JPG

#12 7 years ago

thanks for all the emails guys. I may sell it at some point but I will let you know if I do, for now I am working on getting it going.
Mark

2 weeks later
#13 7 years ago

I am struggling to understand the schematic. I figured the 1st thing to check was the fuses (all good) and the 2nd thing to check was the power transformer.

However, it is really confusing. The schematic shows 6 connections (including the low/high) schematic (resized).jpgschematic (resized).jpg

but the actual transformer has 8 spots where wires connect to it. 5 on the front:front (resized).JPGfront (resized).JPG

and 3 on the back:backside (resized).JPGbackside (resized).JPG

I have just started tracing wires and trying to match them to the schematic, but how to I match them up?

#14 7 years ago

The transformer is actually labeled on the front: c for common, 6v, 17v and 50v. Your schematic snippet shows all three.

The primary side is on the left 120v, the rest are on the side with the fuses, right side on the schematic. You can see the taps coming off for each voltage.

1 month later
#15 7 years ago

even with the labels, there's some oddness. It looks like the fuses are in the common side of the circuit - except the 17V.

How the transformer is physically constructed/wired is different from bally...they tied the transformer commons together, where united kept them separated.

it also makes a little more sense if the rest of the transformer is in the picture, so below shows everything with some over-annotation.

united (resized).pngunited (resized).png

#16 7 years ago

OK, I must have a fundamental misunderstanding of the power distribution there... (wouldn't be the first time)

In that diagram, where's the hot side of the 50V? Both the hot and common lug of the 50V winding are fused in the above drawing.

The hot must feed the 17V winding (through the intertial tilt, which would cut power to 50V and 17V immediately).

So the 50V hot must be the 17V common, since they are connected in the drawing above.

Which means that the 50V hot and 17V hot are fused, correct?

So the only 'true' common that is fused is the 6V ... in two sets of circuits tied together at the fuses (service and 'other')

Or am I completely wrong?

A/C is fun.

#17 7 years ago

the 17V hot is wire 90. The 6V and 50V hots are both wire 30.

the picture doesn't show one piece of the physical reality ... extend the 4 black bars that represent the stator (transformer metal the wires are wrapped around) up so they reach past the 17V winding. Then the 120V primary at least looks like it's independently inducing current in the 17V winding....i.e. the 50V fuse is not really in the 17V circuit path.

Although the current flow is really back and forth, you can imagine it like a clockwise flow in the 17V and 6V circuits, and a counter-clockwise flow in the 50V circuit. i.e.:
17V: wire 90 to wire 80
50V: wire 30 to wire 80
6V: wire 30 to wire 50

why the transformer has two commons I don't know. I assume it has something to do with circuit isolation, efficiency or load handling/wire sizing, but I kinda skipped that class in school.

why the 17V fuse is on the hot side and the others are in the common....I guess if the fuse was also in the common, and you shorted the hot 17V to the hot 50V/6V, there'd be no fuse in the path.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

the picture doesn't show one piece of the physical reality ... extend the 4 black bars that represent the stator (transformer metal the wires are wrapped around) up so they reach past the 17V winding. Then the 120V primary at least looks like it's independently inducing current in the 17V winding....i.e. the 50V fuse is not really in the 17V circuit path.

That's exactly what I was missing.

Quoted from baldtwit:

I assume it has something to do with circuit isolation, efficiency or load handling/wire sizing,

Since Brazil was so near to the end, perhaps it had more to do with the circuit isolation/load handing/etc. of bowlers? Can't imagine that they made separate transformers for each since they run on the same voltages. But then again, I've never worked on a United bowler, so I dunno. Just guessing.

#19 7 years ago

THanks for the info! I need to get back in there and check voltages. Like I EVER would have known that the 17v coil on the schematic is on the same transformer as the rest.. talk about non-intuitive!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/manual-for-uniteds-brazil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.