Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1497.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG
#1 11 years ago

So check this out.

I have done everything to my LOTR over the years and added PBLife upgraded flipper coils, new cabinet switches, new transistors on the main driver board and I still seemed to have a problem consistently hitting the ring shot...

I never really looked closely at other people's LOTR's and figured that my spinner was just "weighted" on one side e.t.c. I tried adjusting (bending) it several times and It helped a little but not much.

I finally realized the spinner would always sit at an angle rather than verticle and it was getting POUNDED and slowing the ball from entering the ring.

Check out the pic of my newly installed spinner (it works buttery smooth!), but more importantly look at how MANGLED my other spinner was! It was/is WRECKED!

IMG_1491.JPGIMG_1491.JPG IMG_1495.JPGIMG_1495.JPG IMG_1497.JPGIMG_1497.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Jesus man. Thats crazy! I should show you the giant divit on the left side entrance of my gold middle ramp some time. Found it after I replaced my posts. Took a beating and its mushroomed out just like your spinner.

#3 11 years ago

Look at the 2 endpoints of the center ramp, they appear to have burred up quite a bit? I just filed mine down to a nice smooth feel.

#4 11 years ago

Holy crap lol. Never seen a spinner that beat and I re-decaled the one out of my Space Shuttle that was original and still kickin...

#5 11 years ago

Common on LOTR.

Pinball Life has new spinners, make your own decal for on it.

LTG

#6 11 years ago

When you put decals on it, you can protect it with clear heat shrink tubing (or even Mylar if that's all you have in house).

#7 11 years ago

Pinballlife has the spinner with decals:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1357

#8 11 years ago

Guys...

He already said he replaced it.

#9 11 years ago

^It helps others for future reference. If people use the search engine they can find the answers without starting a new thread. The new google based search function works great, unlike the old non-google version.

Edit: I did not mean to sound like this thread was not worthwhile. This is the first time many of us have seen a spinner that looks like it has been damaged in a fire so I think most here would agree that it was definitely worth the thread. Thanks for posting. I had been thinking of ordering a back-up spinner and you have convinced me to do so.

#10 11 years ago

Fair enough.

#11 11 years ago

Thanks Guys. Runs like BUTTER now

It's like a new game!

6 months later
#12 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

So check this out.
I have done everything to my LOTR over the years and added PBLife upgraded flipper coils, new cabinet switches, new transistors on the main driver board and I still seemed to have a problem consistently hitting the ring shot...
I never really looked closely at other people's LOTR's and figured that my spinner was just "weighted" on one side e.t.c. I tried adjusting (bending) it several times and It helped a little but not much.
I finally realized the spinner would always sit at an angle rather than verticle and it was getting POUNDED and slowing the ball from entering the ring.
Check out the pic of my newly installed spinner (it works buttery smooth!), but more importantly look at how MANGLED my other spinner was! It was/is WRECKED!

Bump.

Just did a search on this issue, because seemingly out of the blue, I was repeatedly bricking the Ring shot. Started to look at the spinner, and I was literally being rejected fairly regularly. I mean sometimes the spinner would just reject the ball outright, not just slow it down. The spinner suddenly looks tweaked, not quite as bad as the one shown here though.

Funny thing is that I didn't notice it until after I just finished a mini shop job (replaced every rubber) and a few other things (like dead foam in the tower saucer, and new coil sleeves and stops). I was looking forward to seeing how smooth the pin would play now, and BAM!

Guess it's time to order a new spinner from PBL.

Quoted from DCFAN:

^It helps others for future reference. If people use the search engine they can find the answers without starting a new thread. The new google based search function works great, unlike the old non-google version.
Edit: I did not mean to sound like this thread was not worthwhile. This is the first time many of us have seen a spinner that looks like it has been damaged in a fire so I think most here would agree that it was definitely worth the thread. Thanks for posting. I had been thinking of ordering a back-up spinner and you have convinced me to do so.

Indeed! It just helped me. I mean, I figured I probably needed a new spinner, but wasn't sure whether it could just be tweaked back into place. I tried doing that. No dice.

#13 11 years ago

Nice Rob! Enjoy the ridiculously awesome new rate at which you nail the ring shot

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

dead foam in the tower saucer

No wonder I'm having trouble making this shot during War of the Ents. I have no foam on my tower. Ball bounces off the tower and back to the flippers 50% of the time.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Nice Rob! Enjoy the ridiculously awesome new rate at which you nail the ring shot

Funny, I got the new spinner from PBL yesterday (thanks for the FAST shipping Terry!), put it on, and holy moly, what a difference! I think my spinner was having a negative impact on the Ring shot even before I realized it, because the difference was amazing. My flippers seem stronger now!

Before putting the new spinner on, I lubed it with powdered graphite and man that sucker spins!

Quoted from S37VEN:

No wonder I'm having trouble making this shot during War of the Ents. I have no foam on my tower. Ball bounces off the tower and back to the flippers 50% of the time.

War of the Ents shouldn't be affected by the tower saucer (I'm referring to the tower in the far upper right of the PF where you collect Gifts of the Elves etc.). War of the Ents relies on the diverter working properly. This is a common problem. Try adding a cut off rubber post (or Cliffy post) to the top of the diverter post. This will help prevent the ball from travelling past the diverter post when it is in the up position.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

and holy moly, what a difference

Told Ya
(I had tried everything before replacing that spinner. Then, after I replaced it, the very first game I got to TABA which was a first for me!)

Quoted from RobT:

War of the Ents shouldn't be affected by the tower saucer (I'm referring to the tower in the far upper right of the PF where you collect Gifts of the Elves etc.). War of the Ents relies on the diverter working properly. This is a common problem. Try adding a cut off rubber post (or Cliffy post) to the top of the diverter post. This will help prevent the ball from travelling past the diverter post when it is in the up position.

Along those same lines, you can add a small washer under one of the screws holding the up-post assembly to kind of angle the post forward a bit more so it has a better chance of catching/stopping the ball

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Along those same lines, you can add a small washer under one of the screws holding the up-post assembly to kind of angle the post forward a bit more so it has a better chance of catching/stopping the ball

Correct, and in fact I find that I am going to have to use a combination of these methods to make it work 100% of the time. The rubber post on top of the diverter rod works about 85% of the time, but the ball occasionally still makes its way past the diverter.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Look at the 2 endpoints of the center ramp, they appear to have burred up quite a bit? I just filed mine down to a nice smooth feel.

I also did this and it helped my ring shot big time. I think it definitely needs to be repeated.

6 months later
#19 10 years ago

Bumping an old thread, but I have a similar issue. I'm ordering a new spinner, but wonder is there supposed to be a bushing that rides in the ramp hole between the spinner rod and the ramp? The spinner has a lot of play in the hole.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Bumping an old thread, but I have a similar issue. I'm ordering a new spinner, but wonder is there supposed to be a bushing that rides in the ramp hole between the spinner rod and the ramp? The spinner has a lot of play in the hole.

As far as I can tell no. I hit mine with a small dab of 3-in-1 oil as well. Spins like a champ!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

As far as I can tell no.

No there is not... if you do what centerflank and fattrain suggest you will be good to go!

3 months later
#22 10 years ago

Wow. Now wonder it took me forever!!!!!!! to destroy the ring for the first time.

My spinner just busted too. Time for a new one. I hope that is indeed my problem... or maybe I just suck.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

Wow. Now wonder it took me forever!!!!!!! to destroy the ring for the first time.
My spinner just busted too. Time for a new one. I hope that is indeed my problem... or maybe I just suck.

Naw, it's your spinner. It will play like a new game.

5 years later
#24 4 years ago

So I know this is an old thread, but to be clear, you need to buy a new spinner to fix the issue of it settling incorrectly? You can't just adjust it or the switch to get it to hang down correctly? My league just got a LotR and it has this issue.

1 year later
#25 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

So I know this is an old thread, but to be clear, you need to buy a new spinner to fix the issue of it settling incorrectly? You can't just adjust it or the switch to get it to hang down correctly? My league just got a LotR and it has this issue.

It's pretty common the spinner gets stuck up a little and then gets mushroomed. Once this has happened you just have to replace it as it just doesn't spin right. It's worth the $15 to buy a new one.

https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-spinner-with-decals.html

4 months later
#26 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Bump.
Indeed! It just helped me.

And me. It never even occurred to me that a borked spinner could be the reason I can no longer make ramp shots (despite rebuilding the flippers).

1 month later
#27 3 years ago

How the hell do you get the spinner on? Trying to replace mine currently

#28 3 years ago

Bump. Still can't get it

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Bump. Still can't get it

It's usually best to include pictures to show where you are getting hung up. But with most spinners, it is just a matter of jamming them in. They will usually take a bit of bending to do it, which you then straighten so the spinner hangs correctly. So send along a pic of what you're stuck on and I'll try to help. I don't have LOTR anymore, but as I recall from replacing my spinner in it, it was pretty straightforward.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 7.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mangled-lotr-spinner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.