• I can live with them 24 votes
    25%

(97 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
giphy (2).gif

#1 7 years ago

Just wondering what people think of the new magna slings? I have yet to play them but am very curios. I know there can't be a lot of people that have had the chance but wondering what your opinions yet

#2 7 years ago

How would Japanese comic books be useful as slingshots?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

How would Japanese comic books be useful as slingshots?

Magna, not manga.

#4 7 years ago

This might shock everyone...but I find them to be pretty stupid.

They make the game easier...unless they are actually on, in which case they just add to the "cheap drain" fun of a regular, non $8000 Ghostbusters.

This game is like a bad idea stew, and they just keep adding more rancid ingredients.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They make the game easier...unless they are actually on, in which case they just add to the "cheap drain" fun of a regular, non $8000 Ghostbusters.
This game is like a bad idea stew, and they just keep adding more rancid ingredients.

No that doesn't shock anyone at all Levi that you would say that. Everyone (even to my surprise) says the magna slings are awesome except you. Hows does it feel to live your life with your glass half empty all the time?

#6 7 years ago

They are cool.

They do not act like regular slings, you know, because they are not regular slings.

#7 7 years ago

I actually like them a lot. The SDTM drops are a little cheap, and I wonder if there's a way that could be prevented, but when they grab your ball and loop it around, it's really super fun. I'd love to see them used as ball locks - two balls rotating in opposite directions, and you have to shoot through them to hit the multiball start, at which point they fling the balls up onto the playfield.

#8 7 years ago

They're pretty awesome. Less cheap drains than standard slings and there's a certain element about them that just adds to the overall game/theme.

#9 7 years ago

I think they would be cool to grab and lock the ball with a slimer animation on the DMD taunting you as they fling back and forth before the start of Slimer multiball that people want.

#10 7 years ago

Not a fan. I've had more than a few magna looping balls whip SDTM. Levi's right, this game didn't need more cheap drains. Between that and airballs launching off the too-steep left ramp, I prefer the pro.

#11 7 years ago

Totally Awesome! Nothing like them

#12 7 years ago

I don't mind them when im playing for fun but in a competition they stink

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I actually like them a lot. The SDTM drops are a little cheap, and I wonder if there's a way that could be prevented

Code update will help.... stay tuned!!

#14 7 years ago

I like them. After all, sling shots are meant to aid in loss of ball control. Magna-Slings do just that, just differently.

It kinda reminds me of "The Power" in TAF, just more obvious. I like how Stern took that risk in their design, and innovated upon something that largely hasn't changed since it's conception.

#15 7 years ago

It's the really nifty, not-random action that I love the most, when it feels like the magnaslings are really doing something to the ball. The Power has its charms but seeing the ball loop-the-loop on GB is such a thrill. Definitely hoping for more from them in future code updates, it could definitely become GB's defining toy.

#16 7 years ago

I keep wanting to say in a Dr. Evil voice, "Liquid Hot Magna".

giphy (2).gifgiphy (2).gif

#17 7 years ago

For home use I love them and are so much fun to watch all the crazy things they can do along with great sound effects

#18 7 years ago

Love em! The sounds, lights and motion of the ball are incredible and the action will keep you on your toes. The game wouldn't be the same without them

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No that doesn't shock anyone at all Levi that you would say that. Everyone (even to my surprise) says the magna slings are awesome except you. Hows does it feel to live your life with your glass half empty all the time?

I only live my life with a glass half empty when playing ghostbusters. The game required so many brutal death saves to play that my bourbon would spill otherwise.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I am shocked! (Not)

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#21 7 years ago

Once I turned them up w little a have to say I love them.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am shocked! (Not)

Ok, I gotta comment on this...

Isn't it time we retire "not!"

I mean, do you also go around saying "as if" and talking about monkeys flying out of your butt?

George h bush ain't in the White House, milli vanilli ain't on the charts, and Wayne's world most certainly ain't in the movie theaters.

"not" had a good run, but it's time to say goodbye.

#23 7 years ago

...and retire ain't!

I know you play well, but the GB you play must have a grand canyon gap!

I would imagine if you played WOZ in a tournament, you wouldn't ask them to remove the center post? Right?
Why not add one to GB and enjoy?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#24 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Isn't it time we retire "not!"

Not

#25 7 years ago

Magna-Slings are really cool and set the standard for slings moving forward.

#27 7 years ago

Tony said when you go to Pinball Expo this year, to say you really like the magna slings, not manga slings.

#28 7 years ago

They are like an off-speed pitch in baseball.

#29 7 years ago

The more games you play, the further you
get, some crazy ass ball tricks will surprise you, and bring a huge smile!

2 months into playing, and I am still seeing
New tricks!

This feature alone, works phenomenal with
title, and makes a game that keeps you on your
toes, and translates into 100% fun!

#30 7 years ago

Your posts are like the
Japanese style of poem
Known as the "haiku"

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The more games you play, the further you
get, some crazy ass ball tricks will surprise you, and bring a huge smile!
2 months into playing, and I am still seeing
New tricks!
This feature alone, works phenomenal with
title, and makes a game that keeps you on your
toes, and translates into 100% fun!

Do you think the magna slings are actually behaving differently or just that the more you play you see the ball react to them in other random ways? In other words is it the deeper you get into the game that unleashes code written in that makes them behave differently?

#32 7 years ago

I think they actually do more stuff the further in you get. Maybe it's as you acquire more ghosts? I've noticed at the start of a game they're very quiet and only sometimes throw the ball back and forth like normal magnaslings, you don't get any of the crazy looping until later on, but that might just be coincidence.

#33 7 years ago

Yeah, I felt more action the further I progressed in the game.

#34 7 years ago

The slings triangles stay lit.
I still don't know what trips them on.

But when both are lit, and more than 100 gbosts, they play catch, dead stop and drop, stop and fling.
When this happens in multi ball it's madness
and a center post bounce back can be caught,
and thrown almost anywhere, and even up PKE or orbits. I had an air ball, about 1/2 inch looking like it was going to fly over the flipper,
Get stopped mid air to playfield frozen, or 3 to 4 balls frozen like xmen, released and thrown around.
It can be so random, yet not overdone.

#35 7 years ago

Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

#36 7 years ago

Is there a way to adjust them, to get more action?

Im set up with max at 60, sensitive contacts, but none of this drop dead frozen hold and catch stuff, yet..

They work as slings, but I really want to get some WoW out of them

#37 7 years ago

The leaf switches need to be REALLY sensitive. Took me about 30 minutes adjusting them to get them just right but it was time well spent.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Is there a way to adjust them, to get more action?
Im set up with max at 60, sensitive contacts, but none of this drop dead frozen hold and catch stuff, yet..
They work as slings, but I really want to get some WoW out of them

Have you gone past mass hysteria and had them lit?

Ive seen catch maybe 3 or 4 times. and a ball grab/freeze, maybe a dozen time, on almost 300 plays.

#39 7 years ago

Adjusted to super sensitive, they work more actively together now.

After about 25 games like this, I would say no to them, the gimmick is nice, but its wearing thin quickly with them slinging whatever direction , a lot times stdm or the sides. Might switch back to before.

Current games are mostly : clean into the ballroom on ball one, lose control on my PKE shot , Slings terminate ball 1, ball 2, ball 3.. Under 20 Ghosts usually. One time in 500 I got the WCWS , GB, a tough sucker for sure!

#40 7 years ago

Why not make normal sling with a magnet flinging feature built in? Best of both.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

Why not make normal sling with a magnet flinging feature built in? Best of both.

I agree, that would have been best. Unfortunately, I don't think there was room for both a traditional sling mech and the magnet.

#42 7 years ago

For all those getting Premiums now, and feeling out the Slings, yes, it will shock, amaze, and even irritate you
in the beginning.
Some might like, others may not.

But, they grow on you, and you welcome the sound bite, and begin to sense some of whats predictable.
The "did you just see what the ball did?" gets used to, for most of the game play.

For me, as more games start going into Lit Magna Slings, further progression, it adds to the play in a unique way. Love it when they take out Scoleri for me. Curse it, when it causes a drain, and smile when the tricks are preformed.

If done anywhere else in the game.....magnets...its less of an effect on your flipper play.

Here, its in your face, and taunting you, just like the Scoleri targets, when its at its peak.

#43 7 years ago

How do you adjust them to be more sensitive?

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

How do you adjust them to be more sensitive?

You need to adjust the leafs so that they are closer together but still not touching. The best way to do this is with a leaf adjustment tool such as this ...

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518

#45 7 years ago

Frankie Stein, the answer is a resounding YES on the magna slings. Adjust them to your liking. Perfect for this pin.

#46 7 years ago

Magna slings are really cool and fit the GB theme well. I also find they get more 'active' as you progress further into the game. Agreed with Ice- just adjust them to the strength you prefer. Such a great addition to this game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/manga-slings-yes-or-no and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.