(Topic ID: 324193)

Stern Mandolorian Topper Released! Video Inside! MSRP $1999?

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9364FBFB-6B92-44DA-B12D-26F308C4085B (resized).jpeg
14BEE7E9-AF84-461A-A936-1B3859E5D9D8.gif
20221122_122715 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20221123_090639_Chrome (resized).jpg
jump the shark (resized).jpg
F4A03351-B95D-433C-B0BA-703CAE586301.gif
2539433-2642583531-24674.gif
C84A3FBE-0A1C-433A-8298-76FDB9431EEB.gif
6097F62A-FDAA-41D8-9CD1-F49F1E35ED94.gif
tenor(2).gif
D59A30F2-DB31-4A3F-9439-81222B30C128.gif
Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 10.38.36 PM (resized).png
C44D19ED-9F3A-4D4D-B239-7E9B5A94C693 (resized).jpeg
4886EC39-C4B4-4135-AF47-8425EC3525C9 (resized).jpeg
16687382733412315382291474799562 (resized).jpg
Nog (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingvidiot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#331 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Exactly this. I do not want to feel like I have to buy a $2,000 topper to complete the home owner experience. I currently feel that way. It absolutely cheapens the experience of owning the just the game.
I wonder why Stern made the decision to have the least numerous of the three models be the one that color matched.

FOMO is a hellavu drug, folks.

#332 1 year ago

These threads are always the same. I saw this same crybaby spoiled child shit with the stranger things uv kit.

“Waaahhhh, it shoulda been included, waahhhhhh”

I’ve been into video games for almost 40 years now, same crap there. “Wahhh, I want more for free, waahhh”

Is the base video game worth $60? Yes? Then DLC is extra shit you’re not entitled to. If it isn’t, then why did you buy it in the first place?

Is the base Mandolorean game worth $7k-9k? Yes? Then topper modes are fluff, and if the base game they advertised wasn’t worth it…. Why did you buy it?

Like it says in the Bible “spare the LE shooter rod, spoil the pinsider”

#353 1 year ago
8EDC2896-E000-4E44-BF7F-6280EF6CEB3D (resized).jpeg8EDC2896-E000-4E44-BF7F-6280EF6CEB3D (resized).jpeg
#395 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

You appear to be easily amused LMAO. Flashing led light, and a ship projected from an LCD onto a screen with no real showing of what anything does. But here we go, Must have EVEN IF IT'S $2K!!!
I'd bet you're a JJP trasher too, that would round it out. But you embody where everything is right now with accepting the ridiculous.
I hope each and every person that validates Sterns $2K price on this eats it BIG TIME. Because like everyone buying it is claiming NOW, it's worth it!!! Let's see how those buying view it if they indeed are not making money on the topper like they think they will be. Let's see if those are really being honest on not caring about the price... when the value drops out afterwards.
I mean, Mando Premiums sit as low as you can get on the market for any Stern Premium over the past several years so... the topper has a lot of work to "make the game" or take it to it's potential.

You appear to be easily amused LMAO. Metal balls, flippers, Flashers, lcd screen, which barely shows the score. But here we go, Must have EVEN IF IT’S $9K!!!

I hope each and every person that validates Stern’s/JJP/Spooky’s/etc. $7-9k price on this eats it BIG TIME.

See? The entire hobby falls apart once you realize these are 5-10k toys…. But don’t you dare spend another $2k on accessories for your toys, because THATS WHATS RUINING THE HOBBY!!!

#396 1 year ago
81A88E31-47FC-4D88-B503-8E3295ABCDCE (resized).jpeg81A88E31-47FC-4D88-B503-8E3295ABCDCE (resized).jpeg
#442 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I am easily amused, but what I pay for said amusement gives me an expectation of value.. I can't just pay anything "just to be amused".
If I watch a free movie on a plane and it entertains me, I can live with the fact it was a bad movie and move on. If I was forced to pay $2000 for the movie and it was the only way they would let me have the flight and the normal price of that flight was $500 on previous flights, I'd be upset. See how that works?

Yeah, it’s all relative there buddy. Some people will pay way over $2k for film prints, for example. Worth it to you or me? Nope. Worth it to someone who really REALLY loves the movie and has a 35mm projector? Yup.

And all of this says nothing about your income. $2000 to you and me is like $20,000 or $2 to some people. That’s life.

#443 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I am easily amused, but what I pay for said amusement gives me an expectation of value.. I can't just pay anything "just to be amused".
If I watch a free movie on a plane and it entertains me, I can live with the fact it was a bad movie and move on. If I was forced to pay $2000 for the movie and it was the only way they would let me have the flight and the normal price of that flight was $500 on previous flights, I'd be upset. See how that works?

So I confess I didn’t really read your response, and now that I did, it makes no sense at all. Forced to buy a $2000 movie… what are you rambling about here exactly? Is Stern forcing you to buy this topper?

Nah, the better analogy is this:

Movie store: Movie for sale $2000
You: no thanks

See how that works?

#476 1 year ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Here's another scenario.
Stern Pros jack up in price, selling for $12,000 bucks. LE's and Premiums are now only sold to rich basketball players. In order to even think about getting one you hope to get drafted in the top 3 picks. JJP follows notice and their machines are now double that price, with you having to play like Bo Jackson and do (2) sports in order to put a deposit down on a machine.
People get tired of spending wads of money on basically toys and quits buying pinball machine and it's useless "additions" to it.
Stern's sales go down, the market crashes and Stern has to lay off people and close their business. The other companies follow suit and now we have no more pinball machines to buy.
Pinsiders get tired of playing the same games over and over, causing some to turn over the tables and look back on the old threads of pinside deciding to get a gang together to put flaming bags of feces on their front porch of other pinsiders, ringing the doorbell and screaming as they're running away "that's what you get for over-paying for things I told you not to buy".
The world spirals out of control. Dogs and chickens begin to live with each other and reproduce. The rooster now wakes me up every morning at 4:00 am barking like a dog.
I lay awake at night thinking about this, wondering what time that damn rooster is going to wake me up. I now spend my hard earned money on the robotic hawk that shoots lasers out of his eye to kill that damn rooster and for my therapist (she doesn't know I'm on here, so please don't say nothing)

And to think, this nightmarish dystopian future could have been avoided if only Stern had priced their toppers reasonably

#518 1 year ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Am bummed that the topper seems to be gatekeeping some gameplay features to topper owners only.

And I’m bummed the price of an indoor pool is gatekeeping me from swimming inside my house.

#526 1 year ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Funny—but that’s always been the case for indoor pools. It’s a new(ish) concept for pinball code, which is why it’s ‘frustrating.’ The status quo for code updates has largely been “everyone gets them,” and now that seems to be changing.
Again, you don’t see me screaming that I “deserve” a topper. I’m just *frustrated* that we now seem to be crossing a “paid content” threshold.
Note: Would have been nice if the feature matrix at launch communicated that there would be content that required a topper to access, then there wouldn’t be this perception of content being withheld.

It’s a topper with extra modes. This is the value proposition.

It’s the idea that Stern is somehow withholding content that seems to be at the root of your concern. Code updates are literally better than they’ve ever been. Code is deeper, updated more frequently, and easier to roll out than its ever been. So yes, it is changing - we’re getting more than we used to.

“Paid content” is food, housing, healthcare, cars, clothes, and yes… that evil word… DLC!!!

It’s the same dumb shit I read on video game message boards. Is the video game worth $60? Cool, then DLC is extra and you’re not entitled to it. No? Then don’t buy the $60 game.

Imagine going to the theater and complaining about cut scenes behind behind a “paid content threshold” on the dvd. “Greedy $ony picture$ are purposely withholding extras!” The value proposition is the movie itself, like the pinball machine. You’re a super fan of the movie? Then buy the posters and DVDs and box sets. Fan of the pinball machine? Get the toppers and shooter rods and art blades.

#534 1 year ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Agree. I am making the point that this is an emerging trend that is upsetting (sorry to keep using the phrase) the status quo.

I personally agree that the code is great, but would add that Stern has established this cadence of release and code updates that (maybe informally or unofficially) tells their buyers that they can expect a few code updates after release. These tend to fix bugs and balance gameplay, but they also sometimes complete features that were not completed. In some cases things are added that were not specified in a feature matrix or even identified on a playfield insert. Quick example since my collection is small and Mando is my only NIB purchase: Dank Farrik Multiball.
Again, this is an unwritten, undocumented, and unprotected expectation held by many Stern buyers. I think Stern is partially responsible for creating that expectation, and buyers (as Chuck pointed out) are also taking on some risk by thinking that's guaranteed in some way (it isn't). I'm not saying Stern owes anyone the code updates or content additions, I'm making the point that topper-locked content was *bound* to irk people by upsetting the status quo. When you add on the ~2x or so price increase on the topper, that only raises the tension and frustration.
I guess a point I'm trying to make is that 1) Stern should have seen this coming (and maybe they did, I'm sure they had some internal discussions about this before they reached the decision to do what they did) and 2) This is a deviation from the norm w.r.t. game code, and in my opinion a rightful cause for debate. I don't think it's reasonable to tell people to "quit their whining" because I think this is a legit reasonable concern (more so than the price of the topper, imo).

Kinda rude, man.

I see the point you're trying to make with the video game comparison, but I still argue that that's not what THIS industry is like. Video games don't regularly get released with 60-70% code and then gradually updated over the next 6 months to reach what the software lead considers (informally) to be "feature complete." I don't think this analogy captures the nuance of this industry, like someone pointed out a few pages back.
At what point does Stern potentially realize that any game content not on the instruction card could be monetized and packaged with a high dollar accessory? A year ago I would have said "no way," but now I'm less sure.

Again, I don't think this analogy is very effective (and I'm not one of the people saying Stern is "greedy", either). When you go to see a movie they're not releasing new cuts of the movie every couple months for the next several months. You don't get to an action scene and see a placeholder card that says "Coming in a future release."

Actually, a lot of video games take years to complete these days. No Man’s Sky, Fallout 76, Destiny, etc. most games ship ~ 98% finished these days, but there are plenty of examples like I pointed to. Early Access video games probably account for multiple times the combined pinball sales in any given year.

The problem with pinball is exactly what we love about it - it’s a physical machine. With video games, you can send out alpha builds to teams across the world… not so easy with a pinball machine. The current business model of shipping a machine with a ~ year roadmap to completion obviously isn’t perfect, but it’s the best solution we have currently, in terms of fleshing out a balanced and robust set of rules that is thoroughly tested.

But back to the topper debate.

A topper is an accessory. Sorry for additional rudeness, but I see this same entitled opinion in the music industry where I work “ugh I can’t believe this band is charging $80 for a hoodie”. Yeah, god forbid a musician 1. Has the desire to make something cool and not a shitty Gildan pullover (or shitty unlicensed 3D printed crap to use the pinside analogy), and 2. Actually make a little money. Lord knows bands are just raking in the cash.

Pinball, despite its current growth trend, is still tiny. Pinball could use some extra $ in my opinion. I’m all for this 500 LE James Bond pin. Sell em for $50k each, so that Stern has some fuck around money to experiment with. Make some $10k toppers.

Look at Fortnite. One of the biggest video games of all time, and it’s free because of whales who essentially buy digital toppers. Obviously Stern will never give away pinball machines, but a healthy industry often depends on the support of whales….

… speaking of whales, I got a great idea for a pinball machine.

#579 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So, long story short, it's gonna be another bullshit mode or two that nobody needs but it comes with topper and the DLC freakout brigade gets to circle jerk about it.
It's like nobody remembers "Goat Mode" with the JP Topper.
Seems like Stern is never gonna bother investing the resources or time needed to make a "topper mode" that anybody is truly gonna give a shit about so I'd stop worrying about it folks.
It's a $2,000 topper. Buy it or don't. There is no apocalypse, slap in the face, or destruction of hobby.

It’s funny, the people who cry the loudest about “outrage culture” are the first ones to cry rivers about Starbucks cups and toy toppers being too expensive

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 495.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Cheap Drainz Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Northfield, MN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,900 (Firm)
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 22.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1,999.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Maine Home Recreation

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingvidiot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mandolorian-topper-released-video-inside?tu=kingvidiot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.