(Topic ID: 324193)

Stern Mandolorian Topper Released! Video Inside! MSRP $1999?

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9364FBFB-6B92-44DA-B12D-26F308C4085B (resized).jpeg
14BEE7E9-AF84-461A-A936-1B3859E5D9D8.gif
20221122_122715 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20221123_090639_Chrome (resized).jpg
jump the shark (resized).jpg
F4A03351-B95D-433C-B0BA-703CAE586301.gif
2539433-2642583531-24674.gif
C84A3FBE-0A1C-433A-8298-76FDB9431EEB.gif
6097F62A-FDAA-41D8-9CD1-F49F1E35ED94.gif
tenor(2).gif
D59A30F2-DB31-4A3F-9439-81222B30C128.gif
Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 10.38.36 PM (resized).png
C44D19ED-9F3A-4D4D-B239-7E9B5A94C693 (resized).jpeg
4886EC39-C4B4-4135-AF47-8425EC3525C9 (resized).jpeg
16687382733412315382291474799562 (resized).jpg
Nog (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cobray.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#103 1 year ago

There's more ingenuity in the topper than they put in the entire game itself!! Think about it- a big magnet that does NOTHING exciting for one of THE biggest characters in pop culture right now (baby yoda) and just a tilting playfield... but guess what, if you want a cool, complete game, now pay $2K for a topper! Stern is laughing at it's customers!

Now if you go buy a NIB Mando at Stern's new prices it's $9600, plus tax ($672), plus shipping ($400).. plus topper $2000, plus tax on that topper ($140), plus shipping ($70)... so you, the Pinball enthusiest, can have a Mando premium with topper for the one-time, low price of...

$12,882.00!! Might as well make it $13,000.

So who REALLY is doing this to the hobby? Us, the consumers that are hungry for pinball... or the manufactures who keep milking us? I know you can say that we did this... but I'M NOT THE ONE PAYING THESE PRICES.

#108 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Distributors are going to be able to offload their Mandalorian Inventory by pairing them with the topper...what a great idea!

Distros can't move the NIB mando's because people can't sell the used Premiums at $7500 on the market LMAO.. I guess if they build in enough profit in the topper... you know, $1500 profit

#137 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Guys,
We can't have/don't need everything every pinball manufacturer releases. If you are looking at this and cringing at the high prices, that's fine. Let someone else buy it. Expensive high market items like this keep the line going, and allow Stern to make profits here so they can keep the price of other things (like Pros) down (relatively). The Mando Topper, the Elvira 40th, the Bond 60th. All are freaking awesome in that they keep the doors open so we can get our (relatively) cheap pros.
More power to Stern.

VERY interesting take on this! Pay ridiculous prices to..... keep prices down elsewhere at the same business. Like Stern is sucking wind on profits right now and it's just the right thing to do.

THIS is why Stern is sticking it to us...

#201 1 year ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here is cointaker.
First run sold out.
[quoted image]

dontbelievethehype (resized).jpegdontbelievethehype (resized).jpeg
#219 1 year ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I can afford a new Z06.
I don’t see the value in owning a corvette at $150,000.

A flat plane crank Z06 can be had for $107K, THAT is where the value is. Certainly those that view $2K toppers as "gotta have's", the Z is a no-brainer.

#239 1 year ago

You'd think for $2000 we could get it's own release and some REAL video of this in action

#300 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Hate to imagine what people will be asking for them a year from now.
LTG : )

I REALLY think Stern could have gone out of it's way to actually reward it's customers instead of sticking it to them ($2000). How? Make the buyers of the topper prove they are an original owner of a NIB Mando! Reward those that bought a game from them and cut out all the flippers and speculators! But I am convinced that Stern only cares about the money, and not the customer. That can be a bad thing long term (I guess we'll see). I already know a lot of scorned pinball enthusiasts that are no longer Stern fans.

As far as price in the future going up, I am not convinced- the difference is on this one, in my humble opinion of course, is-

A) the pinflation is built in to the topper already
B) While I love my Mando and the theme, most don't as reflected by the resale market. I've seen Mando Premiums sitting at $7500 (home use only/low plays/mint). I've also seen Stern distributors trying to combo sell a Mando with another game to move it. Would you buy a $2K topper for a game that's not well received?

As a big fan of my Mando, it sucks they have priced me out of getting one by making it ridiculous (and NOT WORTH IT).

#335 1 year ago

Someone posted this on facebook and it made me laugh, even though I knew it. They have a flat piece of plastic with a STICKER to simulate LED lights to the side of the display screen. And all the topper does around the $50 video screen is flash. That's it. For $2K, they could have spent another $30 putting in LED's.. but decided it wasn't worth their time to do even the simplest thing.

Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 11.58.17 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-10-22 at 11.58.17 AM (resized).png
#343 1 year ago
Quoted from hank527:

I heard it’s sold out. Guess 2k is the new price point going forward and I thought $1k was high for HOH.

I hope 1/2 of the buyers are flippers who end up taking a $500+ hit when they try to flip it.

#373 1 year ago

Why no video of this in action anywhere? Isn't it on display and installed on a game at expo? You mean to tell me there's a $2,000 add-on to a game and it's so hot that the first run sold out in minutes but no one gives a shit to actually made a video of this absolutely killer $2K topper???

#375 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

IMG_7599.mov
Sorry not downloading

LMAO. You're the perfect Stern customer.

#387 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Topper looks amazing! A must have, even though I don’t like the price, but love the gameplay of Mando. Fun machine!

You appear to be easily amused LMAO. Flashing led light, and a ship projected from an LCD onto a screen with no real showing of what anything does. But here we go, Must have EVEN IF IT'S $2K!!!

I'd bet you're a JJP trasher too, that would round it out. But you embody where everything is right now with accepting the ridiculous.

I hope each and every person that validates Sterns $2K price on this eats it BIG TIME. Because like everyone buying it is claiming NOW, it's worth it!!! Let's see how those buying view it if they indeed are not making money on the topper like they think they will be. Let's see if those are really being honest on not caring about the price... when the value drops out afterwards.

I mean, Mando Premiums sit as low as you can get on the market for any Stern Premium over the past several years so... the topper has a lot of work to "make the game" or take it to it's potential.

#397 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

I hope you EAT IT BIG TIME. Meanie. I come to pinball for fun. People like you suck the fun out like a vacuum whore

Ahhh yes, this is the world today. HOW DARE YOU CALL OUT A RIDICULOUS OVERPRICED $2K TOPPER!! You're not allowed! YOU'RE A VACCUM WHORE!!

You're "just having fun" with your $2K topper and defend it like the $9K Pinball machine wouldn't be fun without it... think about that for a minute.

#399 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

You appear to be easily amused LMAO. Metal balls, flippers, Flashers, lcd screen, which barely shows the score. But here we go, Must have EVEN IF IT’S $9K!!!
I hope each and every person that validates Stern’s/JJP/Spooky’s/etc. $7-9k price on this eats it BIG TIME.
See? The entire hobby falls apart once you realize these are 5-10k toys…. But don’t you dare spend another $2k on accessories for your toys, because THATS WHATS RUINING THE HOBBY!!!

I am easily amused, but what I pay for said amusement gives me an expectation of value.. I can't just pay anything "just to be amused".

If I watch a free movie on a plane and it entertains me, I can live with the fact it was a bad movie and move on. If I was forced to pay $2000 for the movie and it was the only way they would let me have the flight and the normal price of that flight was $500 on previous flights, I'd be upset. See how that works?

#422 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

It's amazing so many of you seem to think this is personal... It's not, it's business. Stern has a crushing demand problem, an absolutely crushing one... It's making it difficult to build games and accessories fast enough to keep impatient customers happy and they're failing to do that pretty regularly as of right now. So again, back to econ 101 for most of you... If you have crushing demand that's impacting the perception of your product and your ability to deliver it, your only option is to raise the price and keep raising it until you've impacted demand to the point where you didn't kill it but you did soften it enough to catch up. There's no glorified conspiracy going on here, Stern isn't going "well they got away with X price so we should try it". I mean come on people... But no, this is pinside where people must align in their camps and bitch accordingly. I don't know what's worse, the people who are complaining about how much it is or those who think it's okay to mock people because they like the product and want to buy it. Both groups are equally stupid and comical but again, welcome to pinside...
It's okay to not want to buy a topper, it really is. It's also okay to buy one as well. Neither of which should take 9 pages of a thread to sort out... Guess what people? Until demand is softened the prices are going to continue to increase so when the next game/accessory/topper comes out can we please avoid doing this again? LOL... Who am I kidding, of course not...

Poor Stern!! A crushing demand problem!!

AND RECORD PROFITS.

How is that conveyed to it's most loyal fans, buyers, and the pinball community (the one that held it together when pinball almost failed?) RIDICULOUS, IN YOUR FACE OVERPRICING. And buyers saying they don't care, they just want the topper. All for a game they could have done so much with in the first place (the magnet in front of Grogur is one of THE worst jokes LOL). Code could be sooo much better... so guess what? You want a better game, pay them the $2K!!!

I think the main thing is this- we all fell like we are a community here and unlike other businesses, we connect with the company at a more personal level than just about any other hobby- that's part of what makes pinball special. Most of us collectors know all the other private collectors locally, for example. That local stern dealer that we've bought all our games from knows us well, too.

So while it's "Business", it's "familiar customer business" to me.

I know I have said a lot about this topper, but the bottom line is I am done supporting Stern and their price increases and ridiculous, overpriced offerings. And yep, I don't take it personal but I am sure hate the way the direction of this hobby has gone...

#435 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Good lord... Apparently you fail to understand the most basic concept of economics... Supply and demand...

LMAO. They are deliberately under-producing this item and over charging. That's market manipulation, not basic supply and demand. And guess who they are taking advantage of? You and me (albeit, willingly, no one needs this but we want it). Would you say that Stern has a monopoly of some sort on mass produced pinball and our hobby? No one else can produce like they can.

Stern is a MANUFACTURING company, right? They could pump thousands out and make a good profit. Instead, limited availability and offer high prices on a topper because their fans are enthusiastic (and apparently, rich). There is NOTHING on this topper that would create a supply issue, either. That screen and many other screens that could be used on this and basic printed plastics with LED's are plentiful in todays market.. This is not a "supply chain" issue.

The bottom line is I see what they are doing and am on the side of calling it out.. you can be on the side of "a $2K Topper is OK" and I'm ok with your position too. But let's not pretend this cheap topper is not a fleecing of your wallet.

#454 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

So I confess I didn’t really read your response, and now that I did, it makes no sense at all. Forced to buy a $2000 movie… what are you rambling about here exactly? Is Stern forcing you to buy this topper?
Nah, the better analogy is this:
Movie store: Movie for sale $2000
You: no thanks
See how that works?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ok to sum up this dumb thread, and every single other thread that is about pricing in the hobby:
People would like to pay less money for stuff. Some people will buy it even though they’d like to pay less.
Also there are planes that charge you $2000 but a movie you didn’t really want to watch is included.
Now we all see how it works.

I shouldn't post after heavy drinking on a Sunday football day LMAO. I'm done talking about the topper for now, can't wait to see it in person and laugh at the guys that paid $2K for it.

#528 1 year ago

How would people feel if Stern started charging $1,000 for a shaker motor with extra code? And made it so only an official Stern Shaker would work with the game? Would that be OK with the same people that are OK with the $2K price tag on the topper??

2 weeks later
#662 1 year ago

Seems more like this topper is more of a money flex than anything else at this point... the absolute cheap, uninspired build with crappy stickers honestly should ward off anyone that's not just looking to throw money away (my opinion)

Looks like Stern may have finally made a topper that loses value after selling it, good for them for finding that niche!

#664 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For reference, what is the gold standard for Topper hype?
Which topper has maintained its hype for a prolonged period of time?

If we're talking about Stern I think the Black Knight Topper is one of the best... but the AFM LE topper kills them all...

And look at the MMr Royale topper that they sold separately for what, $500? Absolutely amazing detail and art!

Just can't get over the crappy plastic and stickers Stern put together and slapped a $2K price tag on LMAO

#666 1 year ago

Well, how about the flat plastic printed art for JP, I guess that's more uninspiring and perhaps a bigger joke but at least they didn't price it at $2K...

s-l500 (resized).jpgs-l500 (resized).jpg
#709 1 year ago

I'm hoping someone will make a replica topper with a screen that connects into boards just like the official Topper...at these prices, it seems like a very worthy hack...

#733 1 year ago
Quoted from Groo:

Just got mine installed and the holograms have a cool effect that doesn't seem to stand out on the other videos. I was surprised to see the beskar at zero as well, I'll turn off and on and see if it resets. One issue is the mirror is crooked. Looks like they didn't tighten the lock screws down tight so is slid down and it's slightly crooked. Can't tell if the image is crooked or if it's my brain. Either way I'll probably have to get in there and fix it. (queue the torches and pitchforks) I don't know that the wedge was necessary on mine though, I'll have some shorter people than me weigh in. The light show in there seems better than previous videos as well. Can't wait for the crew to come over and critique it.

Well, for $1999 you can only do so much to tighten screws.. what do you expect, Stern to up the cost of the topper to $3K and actually have the person making the topper take an extra 20 seconds to make sure the screws are tight? Just be happy you got a topper, bud.

#744 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Yeah man...I have never had to tighten one screw on any game or accessory I have owned in my entire lifetime.

Hopefully those games are far more complex then a molded plastic topper with stickers, glass window, LCD, and a few blinking LED's... oh wait, that's close to about what's in a modern Stern, just spread out more

#754 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

So what’s a realistic run rate for this topper?
If it’s <1000 pcs then that price may barely cover total development and tooling etc. cost.

Agree. Maybe they should have taken the stickers off the top of the topper to cut costs and increase profits. Plus, the expense of 2 led's that blink (after all, they are 3-color) in the background is too premium for this. God only knows how lucky we are to have that LCD screen in there to simulate a hologram (reflect video of a hologram, that is). We are spoiled.

I sure hope Stern doesn't go under making this topper, we are so lucky to be able to buy it!

Pic because I saw tatman had Family guy next to Mando and I love Family Guy...

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 10.38.36 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-11-17 at 10.38.36 PM (resized).png

#770 1 year ago

I confirmed that the node boards used in this topper are the same used by Lockheed in the F117 Stealth Fighter and by NASA. You could pull the board out and help launch the space shuttle, FWIW. You shouldn't always complain about price when it comes to high quality Stern products.

We are blessed to have this amazing, rare, and over the top engineered product for the low price of $1999 plus tax and shipping.

#775 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Gary's having another bonfire watching all the folks dropping $2k on this thing. Hell they might as well charge $2,500 for the upcoming Godzilla topper at this point.
[quoted image]

Strong rumor that the GZ Topper will be $3K. And people will snap it up fast and ask Stern for more...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 19.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Northfield, MN
Machine - For Sale
Washington, VA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 22.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brookings, OR
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,999.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cobray.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mandolorian-topper-released-video-inside?tu=cobray and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.