(Topic ID: 324193)

Stern Mandolorian Topper Released! Video Inside! MSRP $1999?

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9364FBFB-6B92-44DA-B12D-26F308C4085B (resized).jpeg
14BEE7E9-AF84-461A-A936-1B3859E5D9D8.gif
20221122_122715 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20221123_090639_Chrome (resized).jpg
jump the shark (resized).jpg
F4A03351-B95D-433C-B0BA-703CAE586301.gif
2539433-2642583531-24674.gif
C84A3FBE-0A1C-433A-8298-76FDB9431EEB.gif
6097F62A-FDAA-41D8-9CD1-F49F1E35ED94.gif
tenor(2).gif
D59A30F2-DB31-4A3F-9439-81222B30C128.gif
Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 10.38.36 PM (resized).png
C44D19ED-9F3A-4D4D-B239-7E9B5A94C693 (resized).jpeg
4886EC39-C4B4-4135-AF47-8425EC3525C9 (resized).jpeg
16687382733412315382291474799562 (resized).jpg
Nog (resized).jpg
There are 823 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 17.
#101 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

I guess I am a idiot! Ha ha :-p

Well, I mean, your $100K collection IS a fraction of 1% of your net worth, so who can blame you????

#102 1 year ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Wow....That's the most downvotes on a post I've gotten in years!
Just got back from a run, got some oxygen to my brain and I decided to pass and put the 2k towards a new pin.

Proof that exercise helps your (mental) health!

#103 1 year ago

There's more ingenuity in the topper than they put in the entire game itself!! Think about it- a big magnet that does NOTHING exciting for one of THE biggest characters in pop culture right now (baby yoda) and just a tilting playfield... but guess what, if you want a cool, complete game, now pay $2K for a topper! Stern is laughing at it's customers!

Now if you go buy a NIB Mando at Stern's new prices it's $9600, plus tax ($672), plus shipping ($400).. plus topper $2000, plus tax on that topper ($140), plus shipping ($70)... so you, the Pinball enthusiest, can have a Mando premium with topper for the one-time, low price of...

$12,882.00!! Might as well make it $13,000.

So who REALLY is doing this to the hobby? Us, the consumers that are hungry for pinball... or the manufactures who keep milking us? I know you can say that we did this... but I'M NOT THE ONE PAYING THESE PRICES.

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

For $2,000 I'd expect something more like this.

When I see that video and what he did, and what stern did for $2k, it makes me think:

"tony stark was able to build this in a cave!"

So some dude on his own was able to build a better topper in his free time, and people think the Stern topper is worth $2k?

#105 1 year ago

these 2k toppers subsidize sub 7k pros

buy 'em up, imho

#106 1 year ago

Distributors are going to be able to offload their Mandalorian Inventory by pairing them with the topper...what a great idea!

#107 1 year ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

People need to quit entertaining these prices

Stern has figured out they don't need their old audience anymore. Simple as that. They've moved on to the greener pastures of people with more disposable income to provide larger margins.

The people left behind haven't figured out they aren't part of the club anymore. It's brutal, but that's what it is.
Some will say no more, some will shift finances to compensate, some will struggle to stay part of the group for awhile, and some have the money and don't care one way or the other. Stern cares about the last group of people, the others are going to fall off sooner or later anyway. The only group that matters is the group which gives you money on a regular basis reliably and indefinitely.

It's a smart move. Those who can't afford will want their products even more than before, and those who can afford will think even more of themselves as part of a club others can't be in.

It only backfires if later down the road Stern needs those left behind customers again...... and if those customers tell Stern to pound sand or not.

#108 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Distributors are going to be able to offload their Mandalorian Inventory by pairing them with the topper...what a great idea!

Distros can't move the NIB mando's because people can't sell the used Premiums at $7500 on the market LMAO.. I guess if they build in enough profit in the topper... you know, $1500 profit

#109 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Distros can't move the NIB mando's because people can't sell the used Premiums at $7500 on the market LMAO.. I guess if they build in enough profit in the topper... you know, $1500 profit

$7500 for a nib Mando premium?

#111 1 year ago

Was so excited about this until I saw the pricetag. Hard pass for me.

#112 1 year ago

Went back, answered my own question.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/r2d2-topper-is-out#post-4748018

Can I buy a $500 R2D2 topper now please?

#113 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

To each their own. I’m sure it will be listed for 3k on the 2nd hand market. Raw material costs on this are below $50 I’m sure.

Stern will see them sell for $3,000 on the second hand market and then they will feel comfortable asking 2700 for the Godzilla topper.

We’re shooting ourselves in the foot here. I’m not a flipper this is business equipment for me i get frustrated as all this is doing is hurting my ability to expand my business.

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

I think it’s a short sited cash grab for stern….a really cool topper at a reasonable price, 1k, would drive new sales of this game (and it seems like there’s a lot of stock out there). I could see doing 2k for Godzilla since they cant make enough of those. But bigger picture I’d think it’s a smarter strategy to use toppers to help drive new sales, doubt that happens at 2k for a non mechanical topper.

Absolutely agree with your insight.

#115 1 year ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

People need to quit entertaining these prices

Most already did, the problem is few but enough ppl still do

#116 1 year ago

Do the three extra modes add a lot to game play ?

Could the topper have been cheaper without them ?

LTG : )

#117 1 year ago

The best deal in pinball. No not this topper. Lol Cactus Canyon LE a game that if JJP or Stern released would have cost north of 13k and for sure they would have tried to get you for at least another 2k on that topper. Just wanted to take this time to say thank you to CGC for not loosing your mind like the other manufacturers. As the market slows and the economy gets weaker people like CGC will be in a much better position to sell there future titles. Market correction is happening and the manufacturers greed is accelerating the process. So many people are getting disappointed on the way this hobby is going. This is NOT the way.

#118 1 year ago

Same, apparently other people should decide how I spend my money.
If I only cared about making smart decisions I wouldn't own 15 pinball machines. Y'all let folks be happy with things that make them happy. No one needs a topper and most of pinside craps on Mando anyway. I love the game, the theme, and although I don't love the price, I'll find a way to make it work.

Quoted from PismoArcade:

Wow....That's the most downvotes on a post I've gotten in years!
Just got back from a run, got some oxygen to my brain and I decided to pass and put the 2k towards a new pin.

#119 1 year ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

The best deal in pinball. No not this topper. Lol Cactus Canyon LE a game that if JJP or Stern released would have cost north of 13k and for sure they would have tried to get you for at least another 2k on that topper. Just wanted to take this time to say thank you to CGC for not loosing your mind like the other manufacturers. As the market slows and the economy gets weaker people like CGC will be in a much better position to sell there future titles. Market correction is happening and the manufacturers greed is accelerating the process. So many people are getting disappointed on the way this hobby is going. This is NOT the way.

Agree, I look back at what I paid for my AFM LE with one of the best toppers around!
If the big boys sold that today with topper it would be twice the price

#120 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Nah it's prolly only .2% of your wealth right?

#121 1 year ago
ab8 (resized).jpgab8 (resized).jpg
#122 1 year ago

2K for a topper??

WOW

#123 1 year ago

Build it and us nerds will spend for it. We are the problem not Stern. Look what is happening with JJP Toy Story. Don’t Buy!!! Speak with your money. Stern knows many can not resist and will spend for it. This pricing is getting out of control. $2000 not from my wallet.

#124 1 year ago

Guys,

We can't have/don't need everything every pinball manufacturer releases. If you are looking at this and cringing at the high prices, that's fine. Let someone else buy it. Expensive high market items like this keep the line going, and allow Stern to make profits here so they can keep the price of other things (like Pros) down (relatively). The Mando Topper, the Elvira 40th, the Bond 60th. All are freaking awesome in that they keep the doors open so we can get our (relatively) cheap pros.

More power to Stern.

#125 1 year ago

Guys,
We can't have/don't need everything every pinball manufacturer releases. If you are looking at this and cringing at the high prices, that's fine. Let someone else buy it. Expensive high market items like this keep the line going, and allow Stern to make profits here so they can keep the price of other things (like Pros) down (relatively). The Mando Topper, the Elvira 40th, the Bond 60th. All are freaking awesome in that they keep the doors open so we can get our (relatively) cheap pros.
More power to Stern.

Keep the prices of pros down? Where you been that last couple of years? LOL

#126 1 year ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Could always be worse. Look at JJp.

#127 1 year ago

Almost half the price of a pro model a few years ago.

#128 1 year ago

If I had a Mandalorian machine, I might consider it, only because I have no more space. Gotta build up and not out.

#129 1 year ago

My $4500 JDJP sure looks like some awesome value right now

#130 1 year ago

Doesn't look that good to me. The LCD screen on the backbox is all I need. I don't like screens on playfields and putting one on a topper seems silly.

#131 1 year ago

...............and up for sale the mandalorians go !!!!!!

#132 1 year ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Brand new 007 Pro is 7k... Stranger Things was 6100 in 2019, Star Wars Pro was 6200 MSRP back in 2017. Pro prices have gone up less than inflation.

Operators should probably be charging >$1 a play though cause the actual problem is how long playing these modern games are (but that's just my own theory, I've never had enough games on location to see if average game length has any relation to # of plays).

#133 1 year ago

I can see how it makes sense from Stern's perspective as they can't seem to build enough to satisfy demand at a lower price point so they get no benefit from pricing it lower. They'd sell more toppers in theory with a lower price but in actuality they will sell the same amount as I'm guessing there will be enough demand for this to cover all that they can make (how many do they usually make, a dozen?). Can you imagine how much they will make on the Godzilla topper if it's cool? People are so in love with that game that I doubt owners will have the necessary restraint to resist overspending.

From my perspective, though, providing significantly more modes in a game at a 2K cost is the final straw for participating in the NIB market. I'm not saying it's right or wrong overall, just for me I feel like I'm paying enough money for these machines that I shouldn't feel like I'm getting less of a game because I don't care about toppers. Honestly, I was probably out anyway at these prices, but it makes me feel better about pulling back.

Wow, it's crazy to me that I got a ST Pro for basically the cost of two of these toppers less than two years ago. I was about to put in on the market for 4K, but I'm thinking it might be worth more than 2 toppers.

#134 1 year ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

I can see how it makes sense from Stern's perspective as they can't seem to build enough to satisfy demand at a lower price point so they get no benefit from pricing it lower. They'd sell more toppers in theory with a lower price but in actuality they will sell the same amount as I'm guessing there will be enough demand for this to cover all that they can make (how many do they usually make, a dozen?). Can you imagine how much they will make on the Godzilla topper if it's cool? People are so in love with that game that I doubt owners will have the necessary restraint to resist overspending.
From my perspective, though, providing significantly more modes in a game at a 2K cost is the final straw for participating in the NIB market. I'm not saying it's right or wrong overall, just for me I feel like I'm paying enough money for these machines that I shouldn't feel like I'm getting less of a game because I don't care about toppers. Honestly, I was probably out anyway at these prices, but it makes me feel better about pulling back.
Wow, it's crazy to me that I got a ST Pro for basically the cost of two of these toppers less than two years ago. I was about to put in on the market for 4K, but I'm thinking it might be worth more than 2 toppers.

st pro is easily worth 5-5500

#135 1 year ago

We make the hologram toppers and have them for over 40 games. Stern contacted me a couple years ago about doing product placement for a hologram topper, so I knew it was coming.

#136 1 year ago

Gary in his backyard watching people spend $2,000 on a plastic topper.

Does it at least come with a "Limited Edition" plaque on the backside of it?

2539433-2642583531-24674.gif2539433-2642583531-24674.gif

#137 1 year ago

Guys,
More power to Stern.

VERY interesting take on this! Pay ridiculous prices to..... keep prices down elsewhere at the same business. Like Stern is sucking wind on profits right now and it's just the right thing to do.

THIS is why Stern is sticking it to us...

#138 1 year ago

Guys,
More power to Stern.

Screenshot 2022-10-19 164907 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-10-19 164907 (resized).jpg

#139 1 year ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

We make the hologram toppers and have them for over 40 games. Stern contacted me a couple years ago about doing product placement for a hologram topper, so I knew it was coming.

They put a fan in this? I thought it was a screen?

#140 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They put a fan in this? I thought it was a screen?

It's a screen... Pepper's ghost. You can see it in the video.

#141 1 year ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

I've never had enough games on location to see if average game length has any relation to # of plays.

It does. Games with higher game length have less plays

#142 1 year ago

Wonder how many people here complaining about the price of the topper have pin-stadiums in their games? Nothing like spending several hundred bucks for 5 bucks worth of LEDs, plastic channels, and a few magnets.

#143 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Wonder how many people here complaining about the price of the topper have pin-stadiums in their games? Nothing like spending several hundred bucks for 5 bucks worth of LEDs, plastic channels, and a few magnets.

I’d like to see that budget connect to the games lightening behavior too. Dimming and all. Gotta spend a bit more to get that feature.

#144 1 year ago

Has anybody in this thread yet done a venn diagram of all the people that pissed and moaned about a $9k TNA CE and the people who are going to cheerfully pay $2k for a topper?

#145 1 year ago

I'm wondering how much the Godzilla topper will be now. $2500? Can't leave all that money on the table, y0.

#146 1 year ago

Wasn't so long ago when toppers were supplied for free.

hpt1 (resized).jpghpt1 (resized).jpg
hpt2 (resized).jpghpt2 (resized).jpg

#147 1 year ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

Wasn't so long ago when toppers were supplied for free.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Spooky started doing that too. Not to mention weird Al if you bought the limited. And JJP CE’s

#148 1 year ago

That’s more like $10 now due to inflation. Keep up!

#149 1 year ago

Spooky started doing that too. Not to mention weird Al if you bought the limited. And JJP CE’s

My Dumbass has a weird al LE on order. The upgrade to the LE package including the physically animated Squeeze Box topper was less than this.

#150 1 year ago

Sadly though this is what a lot of us will do. If we keep buying them or paying the scalper prices it’s never going to change.

88B841A5-BABD-4109-9574-7E6C6A64C212.gif88B841A5-BABD-4109-9574-7E6C6A64C212.gif
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brookings, OR
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Northfield, MN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
9,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 19.95
$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 823 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mandolorian-topper-released-video-inside/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.