132135393_3618703148206427_8800067857665574212_n (resized).jpg
1152181 (resized).jpg
FE172DCC-5B46-4E60-B0F2-4EAC2B9DD13B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Starship-Boca-Chica-120320-Richard-Angle-SN8-pad-build-site-overview-sunset-1-crop-1-c-c-2048x738 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

As a casual SW fan I enjoyed it. It's basically a Western set in SW universe which is a nice change from the movies that just keep rehashing the Empire vs Rebels motif.
Thought it did an excellent job making the characters immediately likeable though I was sad to see the Droid die.
Thought - the early scene where he won't take a shiny Droid vehicle and instead wants a human driving a POS - was that an Uber vs Cabs reference I wonder?

It was ok. Agree with the Western motif, although it was interesting how the payment was a actually a metal to be used as part of his uniform. It did feel a bit rushed and low on charter build up, but it's only 37 minutes long, not much you can do with that. In the fold films when they show real X-wings or Empire Transports in a bay, it's always cool. With these new shows, they are all just another ship that's flying around. The sense of wonder has long disappeared.

#48 4 years ago

I actually like what the series has going for it. It's a bit slow, but that's ok at this point. No goofy cgi effects, no aggressive SJW characters (yet), and the effects are actually minimized and revolving around the story, instead of the effects as the story itself with what happened in the prequels.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

There have been several large beasties front and center, and at least two "leads" that have been cg, as well as lots of ships, some sets, etc.
I don't know what story there is so far. It's pretty basic, which isn't bad necessarily, but I don't know how much character development has been established to this point.
I feel the lead seems maybe slightly diminutive. His walk doesn't seem terribly tough/masculine. Mind you, I'm not looking for something akin to the Rock, or well....Linda Hamilton, but he seems a bit slight for a physical dude. His voice feels slightly not aggressive enough either, it's somewhat soft. Again, if things were pronounced more in the other direction, it might be more offputting.
I do agree the effects are more buffering, than anything, but the show definitely couldn't exist without cg work or the Star Wars brand.....so far.

When I say excessie CGI, I mean like most of the prequel work. I don't mind CGI if it's used as a tool rather than the end product itself.

#52 4 years ago

Was the Jawas sand traveler a full sized prop or was that all CGI?

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

They already did the childhood flashbacks though. Too late!
Man, I still haven't made it through Stallone Dredd after all these years. Karl Urban though, man what a movie! But not taking his helmet off was fine, that movie seemed to take place in a short timeframe, from what I recall.

Urban's Dredd was a fantastic film, and of course they never did another. Guess it shows how skewed my opinions are compared to the masses.

Two other things in the Mandalorian that I'm liking...the old school serial cut scenes, and the scope of the scenery at certain times. I just hope the charcterziation doesn't go to shite too soon.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm not saying I hate him in the role, or love him in it. Like I said, having a buffed Arnie type would be incredibly awkward, but he does seem slight and not terribly masculine.
And Eastwood has a gangly, well had, effeminate build himself, now that you mention it. And besides, Leone's "best" western didn't have Clint in it. Which might possibly be one aspect of it being his best. Eastwood is marvelous in that trilogy, but he's not at all subtle. He was never the best at understated, environmental acting, letting a scene develop emotionally. From what I recall anyway.
Speaking of Dredd..!
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1196097915942387712?s=09
I haven't seen Narcos, saw there's a game coming out that looks cool! And I'd been meaning to watch Urban in the Boys.

I can't believe this thread has deteriorated to dissing The Man with No Name Trilogy.

And what was Leone's best? I hope you don't say Once Upon a Time in the West.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Lordy, I haven't ever approached his memoir, haha! If I did, along with Kinski's notorious one, I think my head would explode.
Herzog has always been a sensationalist circus rung announcer of sorts. How else does one get in cahoots for multiple projects with Kinski? I'm sure you've seen this clip from the documentary on Fitzcarraldo, Burden of Dreams.

And I love Herzog, don't get me wrong. He's just an outright, winking at the camera, madman. It's his schtick, god bless him!

Unfortunately, Herzog hasn't done anything near the quality of his work with Kinski. Kinski was literally a madman, but they were able to produce some excellent cinema.

And you couldn't pay me to read Kinski's biography.

#132 4 years ago

"Abrams’ response echoes that of Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy who offered her response to Lucas’ disappointment, saying it must be “difficult letting go and watching” something they created to become something different."

Something different? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Is that any good? I haven't seen it and all I know is a) they tried to incorporate the first-ever movie hologram (impossible) and b) huge flop.

It's very good, although it's missing anything to do with Disney, completely unlike anything they ever did, and it didn't do too well when released. It's almost like a Bakshi film of that era. The next film they made after it was The Little Mermaid, if that gives you an idea how much damage it did in regards to the time between the films.

Disney's best films were ones that didn't do well at the box office, which started all the way back with Fantasia.

1 year later
#429 3 years ago

Still iffy on the introduction of the old character, but I have to admit it was great seeing Slave 1 flying again. One of the best designed ships of the OT.

#460 3 years ago
Quoted from Flowst:

Couldn't agree with you anymore I certainly want our heroes to win, but can't the stormtroopers present a little challenge? How could the empire have gained any control of the galaxy at all if their troops were all this incompetent?
Love the show, so no worries folks Even jokingly call one of my ferrets "Grogu the Blerg"

They killed all of the rebels in the opening scenes of A New Hope...just saying.

1 week later
#490 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

TPS reports? Really?

I hate this type of shit.

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I still think contemporary references have no place in star wars. It's like breaking the 4th wall. It just doesn't work for the material.

Exactly, feels like it's a Hope/Crosby Road Picture. It worked then, doesn't for Star Wars.

#513 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Very little CG, too. NO monsters are CG that I can remember (except the Krayt dragon obviously). Still managed to make that a good episode by not going TOO crazy overdoing it with the CG and violating physics left and right.

I don't know, having the she warriors all march Rambo style straight down a hall without any over, and without getting hit once seems like it's violating physics a bit....just sayin. But overall, you're dead on.

#526 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I laughed when someone said it was played by Hamill, it clearly WAS NOT.
Hamill is rather portly at this stage of his life, as am I.

That just ruins it for me. It's like cartoon, but if it works for the other 5 billion on the planet, who cares right?

#537 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Actors are replaced all the time for various reasons, pretending otherwise doesn't change the fact. Disney isn't going to put up with someone having an ego fit on the set with their successful series they desperately need on Disney streaming.

Partially true, but a character as beloved as Skywalker, it does matter.

1 month later
#578 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Had it out for her... how much crazy shit does Disney have to put up with?! When you just refuse to stop posting Nazi shit on your social media don't be surprised when Disney doesn't feel your the right fit. They gave her an insane amount of white Karen privilege.

Bullshit. She was just on the wrong side of the fence. If only she would have praised the CCP thugs like Yifei Liu did, everything would be ok.

#581 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Yes. And when she went on to say that people being mean to her about her dumbass tweets was indistinguishable from Nazis beating Jews in the streets, Disney decided they didn’t want to be in business with her anymore.

So fucking what? Shall we start the list of dumb shit actors have said over the years...even Disney actors? Do we really want to talk about Disney's blind eye to Communist China and the concentration camps in Xinjiang, where crimes against humanity occurred only miles from where they filmed? Hell, they ever THANKED the leaders of Xinjiang in the credits.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mandolorian-by-disney-thoughts-discussions?tu=Methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.