132135393_3618703148206427_8800067857665574212_n (resized).jpg
1152181 (resized).jpg
FE172DCC-5B46-4E60-B0F2-4EAC2B9DD13B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Starship-Boca-Chica-120320-Richard-Angle-SN8-pad-build-site-overview-sunset-1-crop-1-c-c-2048x738 (resized).jpg
There are 606 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.
#401 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I took my wife to see the Clone Wars movies for our 4th date when it came out... Surprised I got another one after that! It was wired because there were 2 families with little kids in there, and maybe 20 single super nerdy guys in the back, then me and my date. It was pretty obvious it was designed for little kids but we were so starved for new content at the time. I find myself paying attention to it when my kids are watching it but have not set down through he whole series.
Luckily my wife turned out to be a super nerd, like reading Star Trek novels and doing Harry Potter lego sets with me super nerd so it turned out all right.

LOL you are lucky you got another date! I tried to watch that Clone Wars movie on Disney+ recently. I was absolutely DONE with Star Wars after The last Jedi and the one after that. It was just so not for me any more... and also not for my kid, who hated the last one just as much (his mom took him, I had nothing to do with it!) But Clone Wars has turned out to be pretty darn good, and Mandalorian completely rekindled my Star Wars interest. That show *feels* like Star Wars. It doesn't have the deep Kurosawa references like the first film, but at least it LOOKS like the same universe. Those later movies, just.. they feel wrong.

Anyhow, not sure where I'm going with this. Mandalorian is great, sounds like your wife is a catch!

#402 3 years ago

Is there some kind of award for perfect casting? Because they should win that award for casting Rosario Dawson.

I think the Clone Wars series is some of the best of Star Wars, and Ahsoka is my daughter's favorite character. She and my wife were very concerned about her being portrayed in live action by a different actress, but they were sold pretty much immediately. Dawson definitely did her homework.

Also, my wife's favorite SW character is a certain high-ranking bad guy whose name I won't drop in case someone hasn't watched the episode yet, so you can imagine her reaction during THAT scene.

#403 3 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Is there some kind of award for perfect casting? Because they should win that award for casting Rosario Dawson.
I think the Clone Wars series is some of the best of Star Wars, and Ahsoka is my daughter's favorite character. She and my wife were very concerned about her being portrayed in live action by a different actress, but they were sold pretty much immediately. Dawson definitely did her homework.
Also, my wife's favorite SW character is a certain high-ranking bad guy whose name I won't drop in case someone hasn't watched the episode yet, so you can imagine her reaction during THAT scene.

*********Spoiler**********

Lord Voldemort

#404 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

*********Spoiler**********
Lord Voldemort

Well at least *I* didn't spoil it.

#405 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Mandalorian completely rekindled my Star Wars interest. That show *feels* like Star Wars.

Couldn't agree with you more!

My kids and I loved Clone Wars and my daughter's favourite (and possibly mine) was Ahsoka too! Think I need to watch the latest episode - thanks for the spoil alert and I was luckily able to avert my eyes on the next post. Note to self - must watch latest episode before catching up on this thread LOL

#406 3 years ago

Well at least *I* didn't spoil it.

I blame Capt. Picard

#407 3 years ago

Hey stern , how soon can we get one released!
I mean wow a mirrored backglass with mando an Ahsoko would look awesome! Ok we can have the kid on it too .

#408 3 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I mean wow a mirrored backglass with mando an Ahsoko would look awesome! Ok we can have the kid on it too .

+1 This is the way

#409 3 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

...about 6 years after the show ends, and it will be based on cartoon series that never existed.

#410 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

...about 6 years after the show ends, and it will be based on cartoon series that never existed.

On the contrair I believe it will before six years

#411 3 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

On the contrair I believe it will before six years

Seriously though, might be a tough project. There is scant dialog to use, most of it coming from the guest stars each week. I guess if they somehow had access to all of it might work. There are only so many times the game can say "This is the way"...

#412 3 years ago

So how’s today’s episode without spoiling?

#413 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

So how’s today’s episode without spoiling?

Fantastic!

#414 3 years ago

Ohhhh man I can’t wait. I feel like the last episode was super good!

#418 3 years ago

Loved the new episode, only bad thing was, without going into to much detail was the Iron Man vibe!

#419 3 years ago

Tonight’s episode was my favorite so far!!

#420 3 years ago

Was super pleased to see who directed this one!!

Wow, another good one.

#421 3 years ago

This whole season has been incredible, wish the episodes were a little longer maybe 45 minutes in length.

#422 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

This whole season has been incredible, wish the episodes were a little longer maybe 45 minutes in length.

...but then it probably wouldn't be as incredible.

#423 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

"That's what she said!" and "Always leave them wanting more..."

#424 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

"That's what she said!" and "Always leave them wanting more..."

Lol

#425 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

Loved the new episode, only bad thing was, without going into to much detail was the Iron Man vibe!

Been reading today and didn't realize dark troopers were already a part of the Star Wars world, when I saw them my first thought is this some leftover idea Jon Favreau had from Iron Man! But now knowing they existed in the expanded universe changes my opinion! Excellent episode and can only get better from here!

With that being said, didn't I read somewhere that the Razor Crest was in the Rise of Skywalker in the scene with all the ships at the end? If it was destroyed in the latest chapter how could it be in the Rise of Skywalker???

#426 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

Been reading today and didn't realize dark troopers were already a part of the Star Wars world, when I saw them my first thought is this some leftover idea Jon Favreau had from Iron Man! But now knowing they existed in the expanded universe changes my opinion! Excellent episode and can only get better from here!
With that being said, didn't I read somewhere that the Razor Crest was in the Rise of Skywalker in the scene with all the ships at the end? If it was destroyed in the latest chapter how could it be in the Rise of Skywalker???

He buys the same model ship from a seedy used ship dealer that's missing its shifter knob. Works out perfectly.

#427 3 years ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

He buys the same model ship from a seedy used ship dealer that's missing its shifter knob. Works out perfectly.

LOL

#428 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

dark troopers were already a part of the Star Wars world

I can’t be the only one here who played Dark Forces on pc back in 1995, can I?

It’s on steam if you want to check it out. It was really fun then and I would imagine still pretty cool.

#429 3 years ago

Still iffy on the introduction of the old character, but I have to admit it was great seeing Slave 1 flying again. One of the best designed ships of the OT.

#430 3 years ago
Quoted from JimFNB:

It’s on steam if you want to check it out. It was really fun then and I would imagine still pretty cool.

I still have the cdrom, played the hell out of it.

#431 3 years ago
Quoted from JimFNB:

I played all the NES, Super NES and 64 games, then stated on the Xbox games, but never played the PC games. I apparently miss out on some cool stuff!

#432 3 years ago

Great episode for sure. The tie ins to other series and old material is amazing.

#433 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Still iffy on the introduction of the old character, but I have to admit it was great seeing Slave 1 flying again. One of the best designed ships of the OT.

I warmed up to it by the end. Hated Temura Morrison as Jango in the prequels but I think he did a great job here. Have to blame his performance on the stink of the prequels themselves I guess. Here’s to hoping they go more into the Dark Saber lore

#434 3 years ago

After being randomly knocked to his possible doom by a blind man a certain Star Wars fan favorite decided to gain 50 lbs, 5“ of height and become a bad ass warrior.

It makes sense to bring back prequel actors because appx the same amount of time has passed IRL as it has in that universe with Mando set after ROTJ. Well, at least much closer than Force Awakens which had to jump 35 year to explain an ancient Han Solo.

#435 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

After being randomly knocked to his possible doom by a blind man a certain Star Wars fan favorite decided to gain 50 lbs, 5“ of height and become a bad ass warrior.
It makes sense to bring back prequel actors because appx the same amount of time has passed IRL as it has in that universe with Mando set after ROTJ. Well, at least much closer than Force Awakens which had to jump 35 year to explain an ancient Han Solo.

I’m kind of hoping that 35 year jump means we will NEVER have to revisit those stories. Terrible mess they made, introducing Rey and Finn so brilliantly, and then Disney just letting them piss all over their own characters.

#436 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m kind of hoping that 35 year jump means we will NEVER have to revisit those stories. Terrible mess they made, introducing Rey and Finn so brilliantly, and then Disney just letting them piss all over their own characters.

I’m always confused by this type of comment. I’m not sure if I’m in the silent majority or the minority but I loved episode 9. Characters were great. Literally thought the last trilogy was very good. Tlj was kinda meh, but middle acts are tough.

#437 3 years ago

Not sure Moff Gideon will be "removed" by the end of this season, but I am really hoping that Thrawn is the big bad for the next season.

#438 3 years ago

Loved Thrawn in rebels. I agree.

#439 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Loved Thrawn in rebels. I agree.

The books are really great too. I am in the first of this new early Thrawn trilogy. Really enjoying it.

#440 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

The books are really great too. I am in the first of this new early Thrawn trilogy. Really enjoying it.

I read the old (decanonized) books after rotj. Haven’t tried the new ones. What timeframe are they set in? (Like rebels, etc?)

#441 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I read the old (decanonized) books after rotj. Haven’t tried the new ones. What timeframe are they set in? (Like rebels, etc?)

The first new trilogy is set during the empire. The first death star being built is discussed a few times. Tarkin, Vader, Palpatine are all mixed in throughout. The latest is while Thrawn is still in the Ascendancy. Its basically his origin story. Book one is out and it will be trilogy also. Highly recommend.

#442 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m always confused by this type of comment. I’m not sure if I’m in the silent majority or the minority but I loved episode 9. Characters were great. Literally thought the last trilogy was very good. Tlj was kinda meh, but middle acts are tough.

REALLY liked TFA. A lot. Then TLJ and the next one just didn't follow ANY of the story I was hoping for and I totally lost interest. Thought Finn would be a great unfound jedi. Nope. Instead we got Grampa Clone Palpatine and just a ton of crap we'd seen before (after TFA I figured they would try to be more original). Dont think I ever got over how they just totally blew it with Luke either.

#443 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

REALLY liked TFA. A lot. Then TLJ and the next one just didn't follow ANY of the story I was hoping for and I totally lost interest. Thought Finn would be a great unfound jedi. Nope. Instead we got Grampa Clone Palpatine and just a ton of crap we'd seen before (after TFA I figured they would try to be more original). Dont think I ever got over how they just totally blew it with Luke either.

I think Rogue One was the only new film that had any sort of coherent story. The others were a mess and just basically made up things on the fly. There were some good visuals and interesting sequences, but those don't really seem to make up for all the other problems.

I've enjoyed the mandalorian so far, but my only minor criticism from this latest episode was that the stormtroopers basically acted like untrained circus clowns. I would have expected them to display a bit more tactical awareness, even if they can't hit the broad side of a barn door. I'm guessing that stormtroopers who survived the fall of the empire probably didn't make it out of that without some skills to show for it.

#444 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think Rogue One was the only new film that had any sort of coherent story. The others were a mess and just basically made up things on the fly. There were some good visuals and interesting sequences, but those don't really seem to make up for all the other problems.
I've enjoyed the mandalorian so far, but my only minor criticism from this latest episode was that the stormtroopers basically acted like untrained circus clowns. I would have expected them to display a bit more tactical awareness, even if they can't hit the broad side of a barn door. I'm guessing that stormtroopers who survived the fall of the empire probably didn't make it out of that without some skills to show for it.

The Stormtroopers are a running gag in this series, I love it. One shouldn't take their Star Wars too seriously, it's not Star Trek!

#445 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

They have good and bad moments really. Think to the end of season one. A lot of mandolorians were in that fight with those storm troopers with losses on each side.

#446 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Generally agree. That one was also the last movie that actually felt like "star wars", vs a mess of CGI. Again, I liked TFA but it's hard to argue it wasn't a lot of well-worn story. Rogue One was a little messy itself, but as a standalone story it worked pretty well. They MOSTLY kept to established rules/story/what have you

#447 3 years ago

Mando's new ship!

Starship-Boca-Chica-120320-Richard-Angle-SN8-pad-build-site-overview-sunset-1-crop-1-c-c-2048x738 (resized).jpgStarship-Boca-Chica-120320-Richard-Angle-SN8-pad-build-site-overview-sunset-1-crop-1-c-c-2048x738 (resized).jpg
#448 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I thought you could chop half the story out and no one would even notice, there were plot holes you could drive a bus through.

Sad when the Clone Wars cartoon had better writing than the last three tentpole movies.

#449 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I thought you could chop half the story out and no one would even notice, there were plot holes you could drive a bus through.

There were certainly a lot of problems with it, but far less than the other films. When it first came out, I didn't like it a whole lot, but then when placed against the other films, I liked it a bit more since the others were so bad.

One thing about the new films is that I cringe every time there is a contemporary reference or use of a contemporary word/phrase in a star wars movie. They just sound so jarring and out of place in that universe.

That's not a problem with the Mandalorian--there's hardly any lines, lol

#450 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There were certainly a lot of problems with it, but far less than the other films. When it first came out, I didn't like it a whole lot, but then when placed against the other films, I liked it a bit more since the others were so bad.
One thing about the new films is that I cringe every time there is a contemporary reference or use of a contemporary word/phrase in a star wars movie. They just sound so jarring and out of place in that universe.
That's not a problem with the Mandalorian--there's hardly any lines, lol

You’ve pointed out how thorough Lucas was when writing his crazy dialogue. TONS of “exotic”’ references. “Blasters” instead of guns, “Light Saber” instead of I dunno, “laser sword” (although I laughed when they said that in Mandalorian), and all the other languages and phrases which made the world feel so complete.

“Pull the ears off a gundark”. I mean what does that even mean! But it feels like it’s from another galaxy.

One other thing I didn’t realize until recently is the “long time ago in a galaxy..” is outright telling you the whole thing is a legend or maybe even a myth - but contemporary writing styles, references, and attitudes just destroy it.

Maybe that’s a sign of the pervasiveness of Star Wars; it’s become so commonplace even the writers, companies behind it just take that mythological thing for granted. Except Favreau apparently.

I watched the behind the scenes thing about Mandalorian and you can tell Favreau is a MEGA fan. He gets so psyched just talking about getting the 70s look and the “worn future” aesthetic right. Him and Filoni are a great team. I have so much more respect for those guys protecting this like Lucas would.

There are 606 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mandolorian-by-disney-thoughts-discussions/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.