132135393_3618703148206427_8800067857665574212_n (resized).jpg
1152181 (resized).jpg
FE172DCC-5B46-4E60-B0F2-4EAC2B9DD13B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Starship-Boca-Chica-120320-Richard-Angle-SN8-pad-build-site-overview-sunset-1-crop-1-c-c-2048x738 (resized).jpg
There are 606 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

This is the best part of the Mandolorian:

lol . there's more words spoken here then in all the episodes to date combined (havent seen this weeks though)

#302 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

This is the best part of the Mandolorian:

hahhahahah. That is funny. reminds me of my kid.

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Merchandising was a pretty new concept back then. That's why when Fox funded the movie, they weren't interested in merchandising and instead went for the distribution rights of the movie.
Today, merchandising is a huge piece of the pie.

No one wanted to put out stuff for the movie.. toy companies all turned them down. Kenner took the deal, but was so late in the process that toys weren't ready for launch.

Lucas was the prophet in the mix.. but had to give away sweatheart deals to get anyone to trust the concept before the movie actually hit.

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Edit...interesting thing I’m noticing is more of a focus on people trying to get his helmet off either voluntarily or by force. Is this a subplot developing along side baby yoda?

It's because of the mystic around the Mandalorians... Something completely unique that everyone struggles to see how it really could be true. And the lore is taking their helmet off results in their humiliation and their forced removal, etc.

#305 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Why do they all call him “mando” if he wasnt always a mandalorian? They imply these people met him before. “Hey Mando!” Lol...w t f

They call him Mando because he's a faceless, nameless Mandalorian. It's a generic thing... except most people have never known one, let alone multiple.. so it's fine to refer to him that way.

Having met him before or not does not change that.

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

From there the story arc has effectively stalled and turned into adventure of the week.

That's the format of the show... It's not a 3hr movie cut into 6 episodes which has become popular of late. It's short format was picked for this reason as well. We will have elements exposed at different points, and character exposes in different episodes.. but it's not one story with detours. It's a universe where we are following one character.. and learning more about him through the adventures he takes.

#307 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They call him Mando because he's a faceless, nameless Mandalorian. It's a generic thing... except most people have never known one, let alone multiple.. so it's fine to refer to him that way.
Having met him before or not does not change that.

So I know Boba Fett doesn’t follow “the Way” in ROTJ but we don’t really know if he was EVER a Mandalorian, do we? The conventional wisdom was that he had stolen from or killed the previous wearer of his armor

#308 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So I know Boba Fett doesn’t follow “the Way” in ROTJ but we don’t really know if he was EVER a Mandalorian, do we? The conventional wisdom was that he had stolen from or killed the previous wearer of his armor

Well... I see it alot like 'practicing catholics..' etc The idea of this 'religion' and its rituals may not be explictly followed by all. We know Jengo Fett was raised by Mandalorians... but clearly wasn't following this 'tradition' in the prequels.. and Boba Fett is his clone. Boba Fett clearly was aware of Jengo's armor, etc.

But this whole lore/traditional/ritual we are seeing in this show is pretty new turf in star wars canon AFAIK. For instance, the Mandalorians in the Clone Wars cartoons did not follow this ritual either.

So is the label more about those that follow the faith and culture? Or is it a label for those from the planet? Or both

#309 4 years ago

Was this the show’s first cliffhanger ? And death of a returning character ?

Can’t wait for next week !

#310 4 years ago

Oh so good! I had heard there was something to see after the credits, was that just the new movie preview??

#311 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Well... I see it alot like 'practicing catholics..' etc The idea of this 'religion' and its rituals may not be explictly followed by all. We know Jengo Fett was raised by Mandalorians... but clearly wasn't following this 'tradition' in the prequels.. and Boba Fett is his clone. Boba Fett clearly was aware of Jengo's armor, etc.
But this whole lore/traditional/ritual we are seeing in this show is pretty new turf in star wars canon AFAIK. For instance, the Mandalorians in the Clone Wars cartoons did not follow this ritual either.
So is the label more about those that follow the faith and culture? Or is it a label for those from the planet? Or both

My buddy who is really into mandalorians said the show is taking %50 lore from the books and making up %50 as they go, or about. I figured why not use the books but we’ll it’s Disney...

Episode 7 was pretty good. The acting from the shock trooper is still terrible but should make a good build up to the end of the season.

#312 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Episode 7 was pretty good. The acting from the shock trooper is still terrible but should make a good build up to the end of the season.

Agreed, last episode was fairly tight. Nice to see the final act in motion.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

My buddy who is really into mandalorians said the show is taking %50 lore from the books and making up %50 as they go, or about. I figured why not use the books but we’ll it’s Disney...

Haha I was remarking last night that Gina Carano is really learning how to act; I thought she made some unique character choices in episode 7

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Haha I was remarking last night that Gina Carano is really learning how to act; I thought she made some unique character choices in episode 7

Man for the cost of each episode you think they'd give her some acting lessons quickly. She fits the roll very well but the acting is sub par of the CW's :/

#315 4 years ago

Well Chapter 7 had some interesting twists.
Quite the cliffhanger episode, bring on Chapter 8!!

#316 4 years ago

Minor spoiler for episode 7 of the Mandolorian which apparently impacts Rise of Skywalker:
The force power that baby Yoda displays in Ep 7 is the first time this has been shown and is also used in ROS, which apparently is upsetting some fans, but this appearance serves as precedent.

#317 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Man for the cost of each episode you think they'd give her some acting lessons quickly. She fits the roll very well but the acting is sub par of the CW's :/

You can’t learn acting that quick - some people get it immediately, but the vast majority of people need years of practice to get out of their own head in order to act like someone else. I’m not finding her acting distracting, but there’s definitely a high bar on that show. Hello, Nick Nolte!

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You can’t learn acting that quick - some people get it immediately, but the vast majority of people need years of practice to get out of their own head in order to act like someone else. I’m not finding her acting distracting, but there’s definitely a high bar on that show. Hello, Nick Nolte!

Well if you want to get into acting you’d think you’d get some practice and lessons etc. other movies that wanted a particular person had that actor take lessons etc. at $1mill an episode you’d think they’d put some effort/pick some people that could pull it off. People need to start somewhere but I expect that from the CW not a full blown Disney production.

#319 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The character Nick Nolte is playing is the best.Its weird because before I looked it up the character
seemed familiar.The baby Yodi chortling and cooing is ridiculously Disney.Disney will ruin Star Wars!

#320 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That's the format of the show... It's not a 3hr movie cut into 6 episodes which has become popular of late. It's short format was picked for this reason as well. We will have elements exposed at different points, and character exposes in different episodes.. but it's not one story with detours. It's a universe where we are following one character.. and learning more about him through the adventures he takes.

Supposedly this was initially a film project, which seems entirely why there are random filler episodes like the Seven Samurai homage.

This last episode was one of the first to really use the momentum the show had built very slowly to a dramatic effect! And also doing so with almost no "hey, it's Star Wars!!!" cameos or cues. Awesome!!

#321 4 years ago

Spotted this morning, thought I'd share.

38ebe85208f14838 (resized).jpeg38ebe85208f14838 (resized).jpeg
#322 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Spotted this morning, thought I'd share.[quoted image]

That is F-ing hilarious

#323 4 years ago

“Adventures in Baby Sitting”. I literally spit coffee all over the table. Best laugh I have had in a while

#324 4 years ago

Just finished Ep 8 and thought it was very good. I wasn’t sure at first, but Gus Fring from breaking bad as an imperial bad guy is cool too.

#325 4 years ago

I didn't like that they took his helmet off. I liked not seeing his face.

#326 4 years ago

All in all, I really liked the show. Unlike the relentless action and multiple epic ongoing threads we are used to in the Star Wars movies, we get to relax a bit and concentrate on one story line. And I still say this show is a remake of the old Kung Fu show from the early 70s.

#327 4 years ago

Loved chapter 8. It's been said before, but I wished these guys would have done episode 7,8&9 movies.

#328 4 years ago

Very exciting conclusion and was nice to see a modern serial TV season end with the characters in a good place, instead of endless cliffhanger misery.

Mandalorian isn't perfect but it's light years (phrase intentional) beyond the recent movies.

#329 4 years ago

Loved the show, wife loved the show, both young daughters loved the show, brothers loved the show, my father loved the show.

Haven’t seen too much do that recently

#330 4 years ago

I thought IG8 saving the day on multiple fronts was also a very cool surprise. Nothing like a robot with a baby riding through town on a space bike shooting up the bad guys with 100% kill ratio. Not bad for a nurse droid lol

#331 4 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

I thought IG8 saving the day on multiple fronts was also a very cool surprise

Yeah it kind of sucks that he self destructed. Hopefully this will pave the way to Mando trusting/partnering with another droid next season. Those droids are cool as hell and make funny characters too.

#332 4 years ago

Man, this would be a good theme for pinball. Just make a bunch of different “bounty modes” with a few good fight scenes and presto.
Good episode last night, lots of humor and Easter eggs

#333 4 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

I thought IG8 saving the day on multiple fronts was also a very cool surprise. Nothing like a robot with a baby riding through town on a space bike shooting up the bad guys with 100% kill ratio. Not bad for a nurse droid lol

Well in the previous episode they had that big flashback with Hairy Guy fixing up the droid. That was the setup, and episode 8 was the payoff.

It's almost as if Mandolarian follows classic story structure and isn't a giant mess like the films!

#334 4 years ago

Episode 8 was friggin awesome, can’t wait for season 2!

#335 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

All in all, I really liked the show. Unlike the relentless action and multiple epic ongoing threads we are used to in the Star Wars movies, we get to relax a bit and concentrate on one story line. And I still say this show is a remake of the old Kung Fu show from the early 70s.

Ahh grasshopper you remember the great Kwai Chang Caine!
Love the series only lasted three years.Also liked him in Kill Bill 1&2

#336 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Well in the previous episode they had that big flashback with Hairy Guy fixing up the droid. That was the setup, and episode 8 was the payoff.
It's almost as if Mandolarian follows classic story structure and isn't a giant mess like the films!

I agree. It's a totally different vibe than most modern serial series. I'd call it, "enjoyably relaxing". Sure, the plot-lines are simple and you can predict most of what's going to happen if you're so inclined, but it's well executed and a nice change from the more high-intesity stuff that is typical these days. And also agree it's nice to have a happy ending for a change.

Favourite part in Ep 8 was when the two speedbike troopers were killing time trying to hit the can with their blasters, and both miss every time. Nice little play on Stormtrooper shooting prowess, or lack thereof.

#337 4 years ago

Man, I wish Favreau had worked on the Witcher. That show is a nightmare mess, storyline, timeline, character motive, CG renders, etc.

Really impressed with the cohesive, logical, and fun choices they made on this show!

#338 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Man, I wish Favreau had worked on the Witcher. That show is a nightmare mess, storyline, timeline, character motive, CG renders, etc.
Really impressed with the cohesive, logical, and fun choices they made on this show!

Hmm, I love the Witcher. The timeline is messed up until the end of S1 so they can get you enough back story for each character. Maybe not the best way but probably done for speed and action.

#339 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yes, agree and thought it was well done.

Also thought it very cool that he finally gets a jetpack like the other Mandelorians. I was kinda wondering why that was missing.

And wasn't that a darksaber that Gus Fring uses to cut himself out of the tie fighter, which is an ancient mandelorian weapon?

#340 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Hmm, I love the Witcher. The timeline is messed up until the end of S1 so they can get you enough back story for each character. Maybe not the best way but probably done for speed and action.

Did you read any of the books/games?

#341 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Did you read any of the books/games?

Nope. However now it makes me interested in reading the books, starting with the short stories

#342 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Nope. However now it makes me interested in reading the books, starting with the short stories

The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny are the first two, the short story books. Definitely start there. Good, quick reads.

The Witcher 3 is the game of this generation for me. Bought it on PS4, PC and Switch. Fabulously immersive, immense game, and balances the characters from all the nations very, very smoothly.

#343 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny are the first two, the short story books. Definitely start there. Good, quick reads.
The Witcher 3 is the game of this generation for me. Bought it on PS4, PC and Switch. Fabulously immersive, immense game, and balances the characters from all the nations very, very smoothly.

Do you feel the books are worth the purchase? Just got a kindle and was looking for some books just want to make sure they were worth the read. Some reviews liked them and some didnt

#344 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I liked the Witcher. Thought the timeline jumps throughout the story kept it interesting and made you think bout what was going on...

#345 4 years ago

Easily the best star wars product since Rogue One.
I do agree I didn't like seeing his face. It doesn't look as tough as his voice sounds

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Do you feel the books are worth the purchase? Just got a kindle and was looking for some books just want to make sure they were worth the read. Some reviews liked them and some didnt

The first two books of short stories are really good. The 5 after that are a big story arc. They weren't nearly as good with the last 2 books being a mess. It contained 40 pages about a battle that had no bearing on the story whatsoever

#347 4 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Easily the best star wars product since Rogue One.
I do agree I didn't like seeing his face. It doesn't look as tough as his voice sounds

Yaaaaa I really didn’t like it either. They should of cut the camera to a diff scene but let the robot take the helmet off

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

The first two books of short stories are really good. The 5 after that are a big story arc. They weren't nearly as good with the last 2 books being a mess. It contained 40 pages about a battle that had no bearing on the story whatsoever

I heard the English translations sucked so that could of made some bad reading :/ too bad I can read polish.

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

First two for sure! Like captainadam_21 mentioned, the last books are composed of a larger story. I'd try The Last Wish, and move forward if you dig it.

I'd also make a point of giving Witcher 3 a go. I have a feeling CDPR used the kernel of the Witcher better than Sapkowski himself, as well as Lauren Hisrich.

Quoted from Zdoor:

I liked the Witcher. Thought the timeline jumps throughout the story kept it interesting and made you think bout what was going on...

Sure, but also confused. How many times can you see a dead character resurrected, and in different timelines within one large battle?

They could have used the same story procedure, and used captions to detail where and when things were occurring. This isn't exactly Inception or Irreversible, two movies which played timelines to their strength, as a core of how the film worked, versus incidentally or just poor planning ala the Witcher.

Back to the Mandalorian...

4 months later
There are 606 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mandolorian-by-disney-thoughts-discussions/page/7?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.