132135393_3618703148206427_8800067857665574212_n (resized).jpg
1152181 (resized).jpg
FE172DCC-5B46-4E60-B0F2-4EAC2B9DD13B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Starship-Boca-Chica-120320-Richard-Angle-SN8-pad-build-site-overview-sunset-1-crop-1-c-c-2048x738 (resized).jpg
There are 606 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I haven’t seen 6 yet - it was good? I just read this blistering review “this show is about nothing, no character development, he just shoots things...” but it seemed sort of forced (no pun intended!)

Yeah there is that...
Character development of a character that has no face ... a bit tricky. We are getting bits of his back story but nothing real substantial. So far we only really know that he cares for the kid... and this is clearly because of the trauma he suffered as a kid.

So yeah lots of shooting. However 6 was well done from that point.

#252 4 years ago

Think about it...these bounty hunters are kind of quiet by nature and most of the other characters so far are a bunch of derelicts.

Boba Fett never said much nor did any of the others in that circle from the original trilogy.

Enjoy the show and let’s see where it takes us, episode 6 may have been my favorite so far but I have enjoyed them all for various reasons.

This was about the perfect length episode as well at 43 minutes.

Edit...interesting thing I’m noticing is more of a focus on people trying to get his helmet off either voluntarily or by force. Is this a subplot developing along side baby yoda?

Are we all going to shit ourselves when he turns out to be someone from earlier in the Star Wars world?

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I haven’t seen 6 yet - it was good? I just read this blistering review “this show is about nothing, no character development, he just shoots things...” but it seemed sort of forced (no pun intended!)

Ep. 6 had more of the Mandalorian badassery we all love to see. Excellent. Maybe the best yet.

#254 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Ep. 6 had more of the Mandalorian badassery we all love to see. Excellent. Maybe the best yet.

Watching tonight with my wife.Im glad it's getting back to good because the last two were week!
Also glad they are longer episodes.Just finished Castlerock season 2 Anni Wilkes from Misery fame.
Better then season one by far

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Castlerock season 2 Anni Wilkes from Misery fame.
Better then season one by far

That is one f**Ked up lady!

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

That is one f**Ked up lady!

I’ve read so much Stephen King shit that she seemed alittle messed up.I know this is a Mandolorian thread but if you liked the Shining you’ll like Dr Sleep

#257 4 years ago

I am looking forward to dr sleep.
As far as chapter 6 of mandolorian I thought it was X cellent.

#258 4 years ago

I'm really liking the show but Bill Burr as the badass leader of a band of mercenaries? Who's under the Mandolorians helmet, Jerry Seinfeld?

#259 4 years ago

Yeah, Bill Burr seemed a bit too wacky, out of place, and that Twilek lady might have well been out of Natural Born Killers. The Devilguy was at least Clancy Brown, but otherwise could they write anymore stereotype goofy characters? Richard Ayoade was nice casting though for sure!

Who was the grey hairded old fat dude? Seemed like he came straight from a Ribfest Rock Fest somewhere. Was he a gueststar too?

This seems like a modern Love Boat. All guest stars, and all appetizing, but nutrition free gunk.

Another fine episode, but also fairly forgettable. Seems to be the name of this show, really.

I have a box set of all four seasons of the Wild, Wild West. Probably could watch that, and get more creativity out of it.

People seem to give this show a bit, well a lot, of a free pass. For the budget, the lore, and all of the creative talent out there, this might as well be Magnum P.I. (The original of course!)
Minus the killer mustache and style.

It's incredibly okay, but man...for the pedigree and cash, it's entirely not....okay.

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Watched it last night. That was definitely a fun episode -

I realized what it is that connects about this show, vs say the prequels - the Jedi are BORING. Lol! I mean that’s basically it - this show is back to the rebellion feel, the grungy underworld. The whole show is like the cantina scene in the first movie. Great to see all of Rick Baker’s designs on display as real characters now.

I absolutely LOVE how they are casting so many voice actors from Rebels and Clone Wars. Clancy Brown has been in other things onscreen obviously, but he is on both cartoons as well, and previous episodes included other actors from the show. The one human guard on the prison ship is the voice of Anakin on Clone Wars. His name is Matt Lanter. Also Richard Ayoade! LOL

#261 4 years ago

I am very much enjoying this show. At 49 years old, it really takes me back to growing up on the sci fi wonderment of the 70’s.
The nostalgia items are such a welcome element, especially after that train wreck the Last Jedi.
Sorry some of you guys aren't enjoying it. You have valid criticisms. I just like the escapism and how they are trying to honor our classic trilogy. Also really enjoying how the mandalorian has flaws and yet demonstrates enough skill to solve problems. This compared to the absurd character of Rey who exhausts me.
Hopefully the Disney folks see how this is how Stat Wars should be done, instead of political agenda Kathleen Kennedy wars.

#262 4 years ago

huh i am having trouble getting into this series. thought chapter 6 was worst yet.. just can't pinpoint why. for someone with a reputation he does, he sure seems like a softy. not just baby yoda, but how quickly he settles down in the village, how he doesn't want to kill anyone, even though they tried to kill him.. i.e., in chapter 6 .. they even led you to believe he killed a few people and then they do a cut shot at the end that makes sure you know they were ok.

maybe i have been enjoying the darker/gritty Marvel shows on Netflix / MCU and this kind of Disney-fied G rating show is not for me.

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

huh i am having trouble getting into this series. thought chapter 6 was worst yet.. just can't pinpoint why. for someone with a reputation he does, he sure seems like a softy. not just baby yoda, but how quickly he settles down in the village, how he doesn't want to kill anyone, even though they tried to kill him.. i.e., in chapter 6 .. they even led you to believe he killed a few people and then they do a cut shot at the end that makes sure you know they were ok.
maybe i have been enjoying the darker/gritty Marvel shows on Netflix / MCU and this kind of Disney-fied G rating show is not for me.

What I’m getting from this is that he IS getting soft, possibly because of Yoda, possibly because he’s seeing all these opportunities he is unable to have while he wears the armor. It is REALLY obvious he will eventually take off the helmet, and he would need to be ok with renouncing “The Way” at that point - the most likely way to get there is to have him want deep down to have a family, since his was taken away from him. All that subtext is there, they are just treating the audience like adults and not ramming it down your face

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What I’m getting from this is that he IS getting soft, possibly because of Yoda, possibly because he’s seeing all these opportunities he is unable to have while he wears the armor. It is REALLY obvious he will eventually take off the helmet, and he would need to be ok with renouncing “The Way” at that point - the most likely way to get there is to have him want deep down to have a family, since his was taken away from him. All that subtext is there, they are just treating the audience like adults and not ramming it down your face

That would be "fine" as the plot trajectory, if they actually showed him for the first few episodes, or at all, as a lethal, heartless killer. He kinda hasn't really been that all that much.

You're suggesting they shouldn't ram their plot intentions down the audiences throat, thus treating them like adults, but they could also maybe allow character development to occur over a season or so, and actually show brutality as brutality. The bounty hunter with a smile, in his voice anyway, and no blood inside his potential victims, it seems.

This show made a super quick turnaround for what we assume his character to be. That's not exactly treating an audience, or your main character, with respect. This dude has developed into a sweetheart almost within the time it takes for a commercial break during a football game. Really less, like the time it took for a baby to giggle.

Side point, why does he never call his Mando buddies? Do they text, send audio files, flash gang signs via the stars? Not much unity in that group, for all the circle jerking chants they got into.

#265 4 years ago

I guess I’m leaning too heavily on the established history for the Mandalorians - which, you are right, they have not delved too far into on the show. There is history where they talk about how much of a badass he is/was; the gang from ep 6, all his fight scenes where he wipes out multiple enemies, (stormtroopers don’t count haha), the scenes early on in the Mandalorian hideout. But you’re right - none of it has been actually *seen* on the show

#266 4 years ago

I liked Bill Burr in there. He had a lot of character. The woman character was awful. Aside from that the episode was enjoyable.

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I liked Bill Burr in there. He had a lot of character. The woman character was awful. Aside from that the episode was enjoyable.

That and her prosthetics just looked...off to me.

I’ve said it before, but in general the show looks beautiful. Set design, costume design, you name it and I am impressed. That woman though.. looked like she just had two tubes of spray painted foam/rubber hanging off the back of her head. Like the masks you get for $20 on clearance the day after Halloween.

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah, Bill Burr seemed a bit too wacky, out of place, and that Twilek lady might have well been out of Natural Born Killers. The Devilguy was at least Clancy Brown, but otherwise could they write anymore stereotype goofy characters? Richard Ayoade was nice casting though for sure!
Who was the grey hairded old fat dude? Seemed like he came straight from a Ribfest Rock Fest somewhere. Was he a gueststar too?
This seems like a modern Love Boat. All guest stars, and all appetizing, but nutrition free gunk.
Another fine episode, but also fairly forgettable. Seems to be the name of this show, really.
I have a box set of all four seasons of the Wild, Wild West. Probably could watch that, and get more creativity out of it.
People seem to give this show a bit, well a lot, of a free pass. For the budget, the lore, and all of the creative talent out there, this might as well be Magnum P.I. (The original of course!)
Minus the killer mustache and style.
It's incredibly okay, but man...for the pedigree and cash, it's entirely not....okay.

The gray long haired guy is from sons of anarchy. My wife noticed him right away and I was still thinking.

Bill burr! Ha he reminded me of the bad guy in the matrix that turns on the crew.

Loved episode 6

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ha he reminded me of the bad guy in the matrix that turns on the crew.

That's Joe Pantoliano, who played Cypher.

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

That and her prosthetics just looked...off to me.
I’ve said it before, but in general the show looks beautiful. Set design, costume design, you name it and I am impressed. That woman though.. looked like she just had two tubes of spray painted foam/rubber hanging off the back of her head. Like the masks you get for $20 on clearance the day after Halloween.

1) A LOT of money is being spent on episodes.

2) The female character was channeling a lot of Harley Quin, a deliberate choice I suspect considering the HQ movie coming out.

3) I like Bill Burr time to time, was the wrong guy for that roll. Again, another jarring character who was "out of place"

4) They should have dropped the jail cell scene at the end and left their fate ambiguous. The first episode he cuts a random thug in half with a door but on episode six, people who actively double crossed him are left in a cell? Rubbish.

#271 4 years ago

Agree, this show hasnt been much since episode 2. My wife thinks its been ok, I think its been in decline. Is it the directors or the story or the casting? Im not sure yet.

Last night was pretty terrible. Im not a fan of bill burr and I dont think acting is when you just act like yourself the whole time. Terrible casting.

It felt very video game like when they all split up and fought mando 1 v 1.

Why do they all call him “mando” if he wasnt always a mandalorian? They imply these people met him before. “Hey Mando!” Lol...w t f

I was really hoping Lando calling him Mando was just a play on his name. Guess not, running gag now?

#272 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Im not a fan of bill burr and I dont think acting is when you just act like yourself the whole time.

It can work, this wasn't the role for Barr.

Quoted from Chitownpinball:

It felt very video game like when they all split up and fought mando 1 v 1.

It is a weak spot but just plausible. One would have thought they would have gone 2 on 2 after seeing Mando in action against a the droids.

Formidable, particularly so since you crossed him.

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

It can work, this wasn't the role for Barr.

It is a weak spot but just plausible. One would have thought they would have gone 2 on 2 after seeing Mando in action against a the droids.
Formidable, particularly so since you crossed him.

Disagree with the 2 vs 2 theory.

From the moment they all first met they thought he was small, weak and inferior so in their minds they could all take him in a conflict.

The only one that had the goods on him was the chick, her brother and the dude that gave him the job and none of them spoke up about his capabilities.

I also think keeping them in jail at the end and not killing them has more to do with with the mandolorian code and guild. Kind of an eye for an eye tooth for a tooth thing, they didn’t use deadly force on him nor did he. Simply returned the favor of being locked up.

#274 4 years ago

My favorite thing about Mando?

Baby Yoda digs him...

Seriously, that's not a compliment. This character has had about 3.5 hours of screentime, maybe more than Luke even, and he's a DULL, BLANK, slate. Weeee.....

Just like last week's episode, this episode was boring. Why? Because it was safe and predictable, again. Were any of us surprised he survived this double cross? No.

Rather, he should have been trapped, turned into carbonite, then cliffhanger till next week. Then new friends, or old, could have rescued him, or other things.

Having never seen Rick and Morty prior to a week or so ago, man that show has more playful twists in one episode than this has had in six. The biggest twist they had was a baby puppet, that they milk and milk. Well, not literally....thankfully.

#275 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Disagree with the 2 vs 2 theory.
From the moment they all first met they thought he was small, weak and inferior so in their minds they could all take him in a conflict.
The only one that had the goods on him was the chick, her brother and the dude that gave him the job and none of them spoke up about his capabilities.
I also think keeping them in jail at the end and not killing them has more to do with with the mandolorian code and guild. Kind of an eye for an eye tooth for a tooth thing, they didn’t use deadly force on him nor did he. Simply returned the favor of being locked up.

They saw him in action before double crossing him, 1 on 1 makes sense only before that point.

All of them used deadly force against Mando unless you were watching a different show than I was.

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

They saw him in action before double crossing him, 1 on 1 makes sense only before that point. All of them used deadly force against unless you were watching a different show than I was.

Read the Madolorian Code, I think he followed it.

#277 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

My favorite thing about Mando?
Baby Yoda digs him...
Seriously, that's not a compliment. This character has had about 3.5 hours of screentime, maybe more than Luke even, and he's a DULL, BLANK, slate. Weeee.....
Just like last week's episode, this episode was boring. Why? Because it was safe and predictable, again. Were any of us surprised he survived this double cross? No.
Rather, he should have been trapped, turned into carbonite, then cliffhanger till next week. Then new friends, or old, could have rescued him, or other things.
Having never seen Rick and Morty prior to a week or so ago, man that show has more playful twists in one episode than this has had in six. The biggest twist they had was a baby puppet, that they milk and milk. Well, not literally....thankfully.

For how shitty it is you all keep watching it and that’s all that matters to Disney.

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Read the Madolorian Code, I think he followed it.

Like he followed bounty hunter guild rules?

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

For how shitty it is you all keep watching it and that’s all that matters to Disney.

Ironically, I have heard overwhelmingly positive reviews from friends, family, and the media. The only place I have seen much negativity about it has been here on pinside.

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Never said once it was shitty. Just....fine.

It's not a bad thing to be critical, as well as praising, and I think my criticisms are valid, no? If you feel differently, by all means, that's the point of posting on here.

Disney has finally done something entirely okay with the property. People are watching due to the property, and most times in spite of Disney. Like my ass this Thursday. I'm going to get it over with, would rather see the dumbness firsthand versus read about it all over the net, and see this series limp off dead. This series, anyhow.

Even that, due to Disney, was a last minute decision a few weeks ago. I wasn't getting tickets the second they came up, like most of the prior films, and the prequels, standing in line. I literally got the last two seats together, in the very front row, on the end, for a 5PM viewing. Ugh.....

Quoted from gdonovan:

Like he followed bounty hunter guild rules?

Yeah, pretty sure he said F those rules, a few times already. Like almost every minute of every episode so far. Plus, they can probably just rewrite those stupid rules whenever they want to, as in Disney, I mean.

#281 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Ironically, I have heard overwhelmingly positive reviews from friends, family, and the media. The only place I have seen much negativity about it has been here on pinside.

Criticism isn't bad. And most people love what they've done with Marvel. I also disdain xmas, and all that jazz. It's okay for people to like these things, and dislike them. Doesn't invalidate my opinion or theirs, because of like or dislike.

For me, that also is competent, but actually far worse than this. Those movies are awful. I'm even tired of GOTG, at this point. And kill and let Spidey stay dead, please....

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

SHOCKER!!!

#283 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Well, I’ve been saying good things !

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

You seemed distressed that people should disagree with your worldview and tastes, welcome to the real world.

I don't like the Beatles, that doesn't mean people who DO like the Beatles are wrong, they just have different tastes than I.

The show has flaws and is uneven, I'm glad that you find it enjoyable. I look at it from a writers point of view and from that point of view it has several flaws. From what I have been reading, it was originally intended to be a movie and got cut up to fit the TV format which would explain why the last few episodes do nothing to move the story arc along, they are fillers till the next act takes off..

Act I has established the Manodlorian character and motivations to some degree, the Mcguffin has been introduced (The Child) and the dilemma.. From there the story arc has effectively stalled and turned into adventure of the week. I suspect things will pick up at some point when Act III starts rolling towards the end of the season.

#285 4 years ago

End of Season 1 is on Dec 27th isn’t it? I’m expecting something big to happen in the next to episodes before the last episode.

Anyone know when Season 2 is slated to begin? We aren’t waiting until Nov 2020 are we?

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

End of Season 1 is on Dec 27th isn’t it? I’m expecting something big to happen in the next to episodes before the last episode.
Anyone know when Season 2 is slated to begin? We aren’t waiting until Nov 2020 are we?

Lots of speculation that something occurs in the Friday episode which coincides with the release of the next film (what is it called? Rise of Skywalker?), which would be really bad ass, and would explain a bit why it may have felt like they were padding things out

#287 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Lots of speculation that something occurs in the Friday episode which coincides with the release of the next film (what is it called? Rise of Skywalker?), which would be really bad ass, and would explain a bit why it may have felt like they were padding things out

I think this weeks episode is on the one the 18th isn’t it?

18th and 27th

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Since you mentioned Rise of Skywalker, any theories on the title?

Luke resurrected from the dead or his Spirit? Does Rey turn out to be his offspring or some other love child from Luke where the name carries on?

#289 4 years ago

Baby Yoda is cute but the babysitter plot is the worst.

The best part of the show is the theme music.

#290 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I think this weeks episode is on the one the 18th isn’t it?
18th and 27th

#291 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I believe next episode drops tomorrow, 17th.
And yes, we have to wait till next Nov for season 2.

Was next November announced? That sucks if true.

Something big has to happen in the last two episodes to really engage viewers to be eager to wait a year.

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Something big has to happen in the last two episodes to really engage viewers to be eager to wait a year.

Maybe a Daddy Daycare cross-over?

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

We get Obi One as a filler next summer.

#294 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Since you mentioned Rise of Skywalker, any theories on the title?
Luke resurrected from the dead or his Spirit? Does Rey turn out to be his offspring or some other love child from Luke where the name carries on?

I really hope it’s Luke coming back, maybe even as more than a Force ghost. That last movie.. god, that can not be his legacy.

I think Kylo Ren turns good, goes against the emperor, Rey probably doesn’t turn evil - I am thinking that one scene from the trailer (where she has the red saber) might be a vision from the testing cave (a la Empire).

I doubt Rey is related to Luke; seems like no real reason to do that. But it does piss me off they teased she might have a destiny (“your parents left you on jakku”) and then just threw it away in TLJ. I was fairly sure she was Kylo Ren’s sister at first but now I don’t know

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I really hope it’s Luke coming back, maybe even as more than a Force ghost. That last movie.. god, that can not be his legacy.
I think Kylo Ren turns good, goes against the emperor, Rey probably doesn’t turn evil - I am thinking that one scene from the trailer (where she has the red saber) might be a vision from the testing cave (a la Empire).
I doubt Rey is related to Luke; seems like no real reason to do that. But it does piss me off they teased she might have a destiny (“your parents left you on jakku”) and then just threw it away in TLJ. I was fairly sure she was Kylo Ren’s sister at first but now I don’t know

Rey’s parents is a major unknown component as she didn’t just stumble upon possessing the force by accident.

She could be Qui-Gon Ginn’s daughter, Obi’s kid or really any Jedi’s kid for that matter from roughly that timeline. Maybe we find out with Rise of Skywalker.

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Act I has established the Manodlorian character and motivations to some degree, the Mcguffin has been introduced (The Child) and the dilemma.. From there the story arc has effectively stalled and turned into adventure of the week.

I agree--there was the goal of rescuing the the child, getting away, and then the main plot kind of stopped developing there. The child mainly turned into a side curiosity after that the other characters occasionally encountered.

I was hoping to see some more development since it started as the big plot point.

Even with the adventure of the week, I would have liked to see something worked in where the Mandalorian needed to get something or go somewhere to move the plot forward. Right now, it's just aimless wandering.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Rey’s parents is a major unknown component as she didn’t just stumble upon possessing the force by accident.
She could be Qui-Gon Ginn’s daughter, Obi’s kid or really any Jedi’s kid for that matter from roughly that timeline. Maybe we find out with Rise of Skywalker.

I dunno.. one of the main takeaways from TLJ was that anybody could use the force, just some people are stronger in it than others. I mean the stupid Midichlorians are still technically a thing...

#299 4 years ago

Episode 7 was VERY good. One of the best endings of any of them so far. Well done!

#300 4 years ago

This is the best part of the Mandolorian:

There are 606 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mandolorian-by-disney-thoughts-discussions/page/6?hl=jtm3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.