132135393_3618703148206427_8800067857665574212_n (resized).jpg
1152181 (resized).jpg
FE172DCC-5B46-4E60-B0F2-4EAC2B9DD13B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Starship-Boca-Chica-120320-Richard-Angle-SN8-pad-build-site-overview-sunset-1-crop-1-c-c-2048x738 (resized).jpg

There are 606 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
#1 4 years ago

I know there is a Disney + topic, why not one just for memorable moments in this new series?

I thought there were some great homages to other 'episodes' and overall was really impressed.

What say you?

#2 4 years ago

Ig-11 was awesome. I hope they find a way to keep him on the show

#3 4 years ago

For a "television" series this is perfect in my opinion. I didn't feel it was so greasy with fan-service trying to cash in on nostalgia credits. I very much enjoyed it (more than I thought I would) and its got me interested in what comes next for sure. I'd say Star Wars done right.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

For a "television" series this is perfect in my opinion.

Right, my kid kept saying how impressed he was with the 'quality' of it. While the yoda type character seems to have stolen the show, as someone mentioned in the Disney+ topic, we died laughing seeing the Kowakian monkey-lizard git pit roasted while another one watched!

#5 4 years ago

I haven't evacuated since the solstice.

Great show. I wasn't expecting the amount of humor, but I enjoy it greatly.

DO NOT SELF DESTRUCT!
DO NOT SELF DESTRUCT!

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I wasn't expecting the amount of humor, but I enjoy it greatly.

DO NOT SELF DESTRUCT!

I have spoken!

#7 4 years ago

I'm molting!

I can already see me and my buddies will be quoting just this single episode for the rest of our lives. LOL

#8 4 years ago

Was that baby yoda? It was 50 years old but when yoda died he was like 800 correct?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Was that baby yoda? It was 50 years old but when yoda died he was like 800 correct?

Not Yoda (this is set after Return of the Jedi), but definitely same species and probably his offspring - either, er..."naturally", or cloned.

Well...unless he pulled off some serious force wackiness to get himself reborn...

#10 4 years ago

That one episode blew away the entire new Trilogy!! Great pacing, special effects & most importantly great characters!! It's very refreshing a grungy Sci-Fi western with humor, cool environments & great action sequences!! Very happy with the direction so far...

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

That one episode blew away the entire new Trilogy!

Agreed, my son and I both talked about episodes 4-6 vs the others and then THIS. Very well done in our opinion.

We are hooked.

#12 4 years ago

What do I need to do to get the Star Wars stuff on my TV?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

What do I need to do to get the Star Wars stuff on my TV?

If you have a PS4 you can stream via Disney +

#14 4 years ago

Have not seen it. Do not plan on getting Disney+ . I did see the preview on MNFootball halftime, plus about another dozen commercials or promos for it on TV. Having said that it looks to be pretty awesome especially if you are a Star Wars geek, which I am not, but if it was on free TV, I would probably watch it or at least give it a try.

#15 4 years ago

The beginning reminded me of the opening sequence of Berserk . Almost a rip off of sorts, but I liked it as I liked Berserk ..

#16 4 years ago

Enjoyed seeing the different land speeders we did, think that was a great way to expand on that conveyance method I do.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

If you have a PS4 you can stream via Disney +

I do not. I have Fios though....

#18 4 years ago

There's no poll option for "I have no idea what this is".

What are we talking about?

#19 4 years ago

As a casual SW fan I enjoyed it. It's basically a Western set in SW universe which is a nice change from the movies that just keep rehashing the Empire vs Rebels motif.

Thought it did an excellent job making the characters immediately likeable though I was sad to see the Droid die.

Thought - the early scene where he won't take a shiny Droid vehicle and instead wants a human driving a POS - was that an Uber vs Cabs reference I wonder?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

There's no poll option for "I have no idea what this is".

Sorry mate, don't see an EDIT button for the poll.
I'll manually tally your vote!

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I was sad to see the Droid die.

+1

I remarked to my son how cool it was watching it work!

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

As a casual SW fan I enjoyed it. It's basically a Western set in SW universe which is a nice change from the movies that just keep rehashing the Empire vs Rebels motif.
Thought it did an excellent job making the characters immediately likeable though I was sad to see the Droid die.
Thought - the early scene where he won't take a shiny Droid vehicle and instead wants a human driving a POS - was that an Uber vs Cabs reference I wonder?

It was ok. Agree with the Western motif, although it was interesting how the payment was a actually a metal to be used as part of his uniform. It did feel a bit rushed and low on charter build up, but it's only 37 minutes long, not much you can do with that. In the fold films when they show real X-wings or Empire Transports in a bay, it's always cool. With these new shows, they are all just another ship that's flying around. The sense of wonder has long disappeared.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

It was ok. Agree with the Western motif, although it was interesting how the payment was a actually a metal to be used as part of his uniform

Beskar ore (an indestructible iron ore) was famous for being used in Mandalorian armor, and the only place it came from was the Mandalorian homeworld. Mandalore was occupied by the Empire for many years, and after the Empire fell, Beskar became very valuable to the Mandalorians as they started to rebuild. The old Imperial who hired the bounty hunter in the show probably obtained a stockpile of it sometime during the occupation, and/or after the Empire fell.

Quoted from benheck:

I thought it was pretty cool to see an IG droid in action, after only seeing it briefly in ESB and a few comic book panels.

Quoted from benheck:

Mandalorians didn't have a cultural aversion to droids from what I recall. However, from a practical standpoint, droids can be reprogrammed and hijacked. A real pilot can be leveraged/threatened if they're compromised to act against their passenger.

#24 4 years ago

I went into the show with low expectation, and honestly I was pleasantly surprised. I felt like a lot of the episode was devoted to world building. There was enough humor written into the story that it balanced well with the main character. I loved the scene with the old imperial commander who hired him to track down the 'asset'. I got the impression those imperials were shell shocked over the fall of the empire, and were just trying to keep up appearances. The ending was perfect for a series, and I will definitely be waiting for the next episode to hit the net.

#25 4 years ago

Really enjoyed it. The battle seasons seemed very well done, both effects and acting.
Found it cool to see so many characters from the movies placed throughout the movie. The Ig droid was a favorite as kid from ESB, was glad they showed more of what he could do.
We will keep watching for sure

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

That one episode blew away the entire new Trilogy!! Great pacing, special effects & most importantly great characters!! It's very refreshing a grungy Sci-Fi western with humor, cool environments & great action sequences!! Very happy with the direction so far...

it's not hard to blow away the new trilogy considering EP8 is one of the worst movies ever made. The new episode of SPongebob blew away EP8.

#27 4 years ago

I’ve had as much Star Wars as I can take. Bring back Firefly,

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

I’ve had as much Star Wars as I can take.

Bad star wars, you mean?

Quoted from Pinmeister:

Bring back Firefly,

That would be great

Probably impossible at this point, though. Everybody is on other projects. Incidently, The Rookie has been pretty good so far.

#29 4 years ago

Get ready for the Mouse and force is female to plot twist it to be a girl...

#30 4 years ago

I was very confused if this was meant to be a comedy or some type of half Japanese half Star Wars spaghetti western. It felt so bad it was good to me, like the A Team or Knight Rider. Glorious when your 10 years old but pretty dreadful in 2019. The scene that he tames his CGI tadpole that was as terrible as the added content to Star Wars had me literally laughing out loud. I also burst out laughing at the green baby at the end. Its not my Star Wars but I intend to watch every episode baked with my buddies and laugh my ass off.

I wish they went full Space Balls and kicked in the Bon Jovi any one else notice the ship design felt like homage to this.

spaceballswinnebago (resized).jpgspaceballswinnebago (resized).jpg
#31 4 years ago

Hey OP, consider adding [SPOILERS] tag to the thread title. Should be obvious, but inevitably someone who hasn't seen it yet will stumble in here and catch some key plot points.

That said, I thought the first episode was pretty fun, if not particularly great. I think it's a challenge to have a lead actor who wears a mask the whole time and has very little dialog, but I'm sure we'll get more of Pedro as the weeks go by (he's fantastic in Narcos and was good in Game of Thrones too). I loved the Werner Herzog cameo, and thought the second half of the show was stronger than the first. I'm not sure where we're going with baby yoda, historically kids in the SW universe tend to drag things down quickly. But the Mandalorian doing a little cootchie-coo finger waiving as we faded to credits was very funny.

Now, who wants to bet which episode we'll see lil' yoda on the Mandalorian's back in a baby carrier, "training" him by hitting him on the helmet with his rattle?

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Get ready for the Mouse and force is female to plot twist it to be a girl...

Wouldn't be the first time. Remember ... Yaddle? (Seriously, George Lucas deserves so many nut punches for the prequels).
YaddleYaddle

#33 4 years ago

Put me in the couldn’t possibly be more sick of Star Wars camp. But glad to see you guys like it. A lot more fun than the endless bitching after last Jedi.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Put me in the couldn’t possibly be more sick of Star Wars camp. But glad to see you guys like it. A lot more fun than the endless bitching after last Jedi.

There's a new one coming out next month, so plenty more to bitch about!

#36 4 years ago

Sweet, I thought I would have to wait a full week for the next episode. I know what I'm doing tomorrow!
Thanks @forceflow

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Wouldn't be the first time. Remember ... Yaddle? (Seriously, George Lucas deserves so many nut punches for the prequels).
[quoted image]

#38 4 years ago

It was fine. I'll continue to download it each Friday. Hope they show more IG88 droids, I enjoyed how it was depicted.

#39 4 years ago

Well,its obvious Disney will be part of our lives now forever!! I was 5 when Disneyland opened in L.A.and MM was my hero! Now,it seems Yoda has taken his place in the minds of the millennials!! Kinda sad to see your world change in ways U never dreamed of!!I wonder what your world will be like 50 yrs from now??

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Best Star Wars since the original trilogy, period.

#41 4 years ago

Any one catch today's episode yet?

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Any one catch today's episode yet?

Waiting for the 1080p version to be posted instead of grabbing the 720p one that's already available.

#43 4 years ago

I am very impressed with The Mandalorian, both in the form and content. Visually it's stunning, Disney put a lot of care (and money) to make the tv show look like a movie, I don't think I've ever seen this level of refinment on a series.

Content wise, I think it's the perfect format to go back to the spirit of Lucas, and put more depth into the characters without being too annoyed with the visual and action requirements in modern movies such as the ones seen in the new movies where there isn't much going on in the end outside of the cool action scenes.

And finally, the choice of a weekly release is definitely the right one, it would have been a total waste to binge watch that show.

Kudos to Disney, there might be hope after so much waste of the license.

#44 4 years ago

star wars will never end now.. Disney will make side stories about all the characters that are interesting. Don't get me wrong I aint complaining. If done as well as mandalorian I
will pony the cash up for more,,

#45 4 years ago

Chapter 2 while still decent I feel missed the "great" mark, also a little disappointed in its length.
Eager to see if 3 will be redeeming.

#46 4 years ago

I actually enjoyed Episode 2 a bit more than Episode 1 -- wasn't at all sure how the Baby Yoda thing was going to play out, but so far so good IMO. And I'm always down for some Jawas. Definitely psyched for next week's episode.

I wonder if ~30 mins will be the normal for these going forward, or if each has it's own length b/w 30 and 60 mins? I'm a fan of the later approach, they can give each chapter the time they feel it needs and not have to needlessly rush some episodes and pad out others.

#47 4 years ago

Yeah that 32 min runtime surprised me. Def dug the revisiting of the Jawas and seeing them in action.

#48 4 years ago

I actually like what the series has going for it. It's a bit slow, but that's ok at this point. No goofy cgi effects, no aggressive SJW characters (yet), and the effects are actually minimized and revolving around the story, instead of the effects as the story itself with what happened in the prequels.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I actually like what the series has going for it. It's a bit slow, but that's ok at this point. No goofy cgi effects, no aggressive SJW characters (yet), and the effects are actually minimized and revolving around the story, instead of the effects as the story itself with what happened in the prequels.

There have been several large beasties front and center, and at least two "leads" that have been cg, as well as lots of ships, some sets, etc.

I don't know what story there is so far. It's pretty basic, which isn't bad necessarily, but I don't know how much character development has been established to this point.

I feel the lead seems maybe slightly diminutive. His walk doesn't seem terribly tough/masculine. Mind you, I'm not looking for something akin to the Rock, or well....Linda Hamilton, but he seems a bit slight for a physical dude. His voice feels slightly not aggressive enough either, it's somewhat soft. Again, if things were pronounced more in the other direction, it might be more offputting.

I do agree the effects are more buffering, than anything, but the show definitely couldn't exist without cg work or the Star Wars brand.....so far.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

There have been several large beasties front and center, and at least two "leads" that have been cg, as well as lots of ships, some sets, etc.
I don't know what story there is so far. It's pretty basic, which isn't bad necessarily, but I don't know how much character development has been established to this point.
I feel the lead seems maybe slightly diminutive. His walk doesn't seem terribly tough/masculine. Mind you, I'm not looking for something akin to the Rock, or well....Linda Hamilton, but he seems a bit slight for a physical dude. His voice feels slightly not aggressive enough either, it's somewhat soft. Again, if things were pronounced more in the other direction, it might be more offputting.
I do agree the effects are more buffering, than anything, but the show definitely couldn't exist without cg work or the Star Wars brand.....so far.

When I say excessie CGI, I mean like most of the prequel work. I don't mind CGI if it's used as a tool rather than the end product itself.

There are 606 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mandolorian-by-disney-thoughts-discussions/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.