(Topic ID: 48335)

Man Avengers Sucks Soooo Bad. What Happened?

By mickthepin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is Avengers to the standard that we would like from stern”

• Yes 17 votes
    11%
  • No 102 votes
    69%
  • No, but L.E And if you can afford all the extras it's a great game 27 votes
    18%
  • Yes it is the best game. I have a mint MM will trade 2 votes
    1%

(148 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
images-4.jpeg
61156_10151304868305645_1017543692_n.jpg
1270.gif
1270.gif
swansonpenis.gif
pool_fart.gif
DSC_0471.jpg
The_Avengers.jpg
images.jpeg
BBats_003.jpg
chulk.jpg
nomore.JPG
RoppLonnie.jpg
Avengers_Mods_012.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballcorpse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 10 years ago

I read these Avengers threads (and all new games for that matter) looking to see what is going on with the game. I don't have constant access to one and maybe have 30 plays on it (Some pro, some LE) so granted I am somewhat ignorant of the Avengers game. Almost every time I have had access, it has been a multiplayer experience. (Not the best way to get to know a game IMO)

When it, like any pin, first came out of course it was interesting to me since it was new. We were playing in groups, nobody has any real idea what to shoot for, everything is bright and shiny, new sounds are heard, effects etc. My goal was to strafe all the shots to see what each thing does. And of course I wanted to see HULK and Loki multiballs.

But the more I play this game, I keep trying to figure out what is the appeal. When I watch tourney players, the goal seems to be Loki. Period. That is the repeatable shot to go for. I think the LE's crossover ramp helps prevent the left ramp rape-to an extent. Now I think it is fair to point out that in tourneys, better players look for the safe strategies and do not explore the pin.

I understand the build-up hero concept in the game, but it feels like an inordinate (and non-fun) amount of work to hit the same shots over and over and over. Isn't that one of the complaints players have about games in general hit this shot X times and then Y more times for the award?

Again, I should repeat I am not knowledgeable about the Avengers pin to say it is bad, good or otherwise, but I can accurately say it is currently not grabbing me the more I play it.

Maybe if/when I get some more solo time on it, I'll understand it.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

How many of you realize that you can change which ramp the ball rolls down to (control a diverter at the top) on the LEs?It's that sort of thing that adds to the overall long term fun factor in my opinion.It's NOT something people understand from only 1 game.This is just one example. I'm not expecting to change anyone's opinion of the game with this simple example.

Is that controlled diverter idea a new feature? I don't recall that on the LE when I tried it. That being said, if the diverter can feed the ball to the right flipper over and over, doesn't that allow Loki to be accessed over and over much easier like in the pro?

#218 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

This thread is funny in that all the TAV owners are using the exact same arguments the XMLE owners were using: the game is fun, IF you're good enough to make the tight shots! Yeah, yeah, we've heard that before! It's just funny to watch the TAV owners squirm under scrutiny when so many of the new owners piled onto XMLE when it was down and out.
In all seriousness, I enjoy playing TAV at my friend's house whenever I can. It's a fun shooting layout, and those VS modes come out of nowhere to save you when you really need it, and I enjoy piggybacking those onto Hulk/Loki. I wouldn't rule out owning one in the future. The Ropp Repetition isn't a glaring problem because of the way the modes stay lit, and the way you can start the VS modes, so you aren't stuck shooting the same thing... until you need just one last hero to start Helicarrier or whatever. I enjoy the game a lot, and while the layout is not without flaws I still think the Hulk SJP is one of the better SJP's in pinball. Needing to cradle two balls, for a 1-2 punch, with great accuracy and timing, is just a killer shot. Best thing about the game, to me.

The argument that a game is fun if one can make tight shots is a not a good defense for a game.

No game is fun if a player can't make the shots or feel like they are making progression towards SOMETHING.

Look at AC/DC. (I'll get back on topic shortly) One big appeal has to be that even flailing or random shots HELP the player. All target banks help toward Album mb, all ramp shots help toward Jam mb or maybe even loads the cannon, random orbit shots help toward Tour mb. Random shots up the middle ring the bell etc. In the Premium, a player can stumble into playing in Hell. Something is always happening to the player's benefit even if the ball is doing its own thing. (Clearly the better player one is, even more fun is derived)

In X-Men and Avengers much more precision shooting is required. So unless the player is content bashing on Wolverine or HULK all day, accurate shooting is real important, maybe too important. Translation-the game may be too demanding for the average player to have fun.

X-men has some very challenging shots. Storm is way more difficult than its mirror friend in TRON. (The geometry sacrifice was that Rogue is better than GEM). Xavier gives people fits. Beast requires a threaded shot, Iceman looks like it should be an easy ramp, but... and so on. All of these shots are required for various modes to progress towards Danger Room and Dark Phoenix. At least with Villain progression one is not doomed when playing the Villains. But still, the player is constantly trying to make tight shots, and if they miss, recover and hit those shots again. Does it make it a bad game-No, but it knocks the fun factor down several notches when the player is missing.

So now let's look at Avengers. (I am not a rule expert on this pin, but I have played it more than 3 times ). Black Widow is satisfying-when it is made. I see lots of bricked shots on this ramp (others and me included) and it takes a lot of shots to get things going. It is not backhand friendly (can be done here and there, but don't count on it).

That saucer in the upper left part of the playfield is either hit and hope or again hit a tight shot on the Black Widow ramp. Loki/Hawkeye is tight as well, but very makeable. (As I mentioned earlier this is probably the safest shot on the game and the employed strategy for many). The Iron Man and Captain America shots are also tight. Yes they can all be made, but that is not the point.

In X-Men and Avengers there is not much for casual players to stumble into-certainly not a casual player/owner of a 6-7K pin. (Disclosure: I own X-MenLE and I personally enjoy it, but IMO it really is not new/casual player friendly). That is a key area where games like X-Men and Avengers struggle IMO. (Another quick aside: I love TFLE and it suffers some of this as well-either a player is hitting things dead on or they are in trouble).

So to sum up: To make the argument that a game is good only when a player shoots well is a bit of a slap in the face to the average player-which most people are-that is the definition of average.

Good games give players front end candy, middle level objectives and deeper goals. The rewards are commensurate with one's skill level. To say a player needs laser precision to appreciate a game is making an excuse for a game's shortcomings.

#223 10 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Hulk and Loki multiball are relatively easy to get. To me this negates and does make it fun for the average user.

That's correct. HULK is supposed to be relatively easy and that is what I meant by bashing Wolverine and HULK all day. These are the "hey hit me" shots. But X Men is more than Wolverine mb and Avengers is more than HULK mb

#255 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

PinballCorpse: every shot on Avengers pretty much contributes to your overall mission as well. No character shots are "wasted" unless sometimes if they occur during Loki MB or a "Vs." Mode. I'm pretty sure of that. And for the most part you can keep track of how every shot is contributing to your mission. ACDC can feel alot more random. And I wish I could slow down the way ACDC shows your points/bonus at the end of each ball. ACDC much more of a free for all, which I think can turn off an inexperienced player.

My general statement was meant to convey that for any game that has difficult shots it can alienate and frustrate casual players who would eventually like to see something other than the game's bash toy.

I have no agenda or personal objection to X Men or Avengers but can appreciate people disliking the games because of the shot difficulty.

Lastly, can people still appreciate the games and have fun? Of course! It is not all or nothing where a game must be either awesome or terrible by consensus. I am just offering observations, not the solution to a mathematical equation

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballcorpse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/man-avengers-sucks-soooo-bad-what-happened?tu=pinballcorpse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.