(Topic ID: 48335)

Man Avengers Sucks Soooo Bad. What Happened?

By mickthepin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is Avengers to the standard that we would like from stern”

• Yes 17 votes
    11%
  • No 102 votes
    69%
  • No, but L.E And if you can afford all the extras it's a great game 27 votes
    18%
  • Yes it is the best game. I have a mint MM will trade 2 votes
    1%

(148 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
images-4.jpeg
61156_10151304868305645_1017543692_n.jpg
1270.gif
1270.gif
swansonpenis.gif
pool_fart.gif
DSC_0471.jpg
The_Avengers.jpg
images.jpeg
BBats_003.jpg
chulk.jpg
nomore.JPG
RoppLonnie.jpg
Avengers_Mods_012.JPG
There are 510 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.
#500 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

That's a seriously erroneous statement. Sorry, but my World Cup Soccer is fun but not better. Had some friends over last night and we had a great time playing AVLE Blue. I have it set on easy. Everyone likes the Hulk call outs and they get the idea of the rules of the game pretty quickly. Everyone got Hulk multiball and a vs. mode and had fun playing it. Despite the tight shots, setup right, it's a great game for casual players. Most folks have seen at least one of the Marvel movies so the theme works well.

Yes.

#501 10 years ago

Double post.

8 months later
#503 10 years ago

Late to the party here, but got a Avengers Pro NIB a couple of months ago and am seeing a number of these "Avengers sucks!!!" posts online. I understand people have different preferences and tastes and whatnot, but there appears to be some real vitriol for the Avengers pin, which baffles me a bit. It's almost as if people are personally offended by AVG, that it's not just that they don't like it but that the machine SUCKS SOOOO BAD. Oookay.

My family and I have now played somewhere around a couple hundred games on our Avengers Pro, and we like the pin very much, an opinion I personally grew into. When I first started playing, I thought the play was okay but wasn't overly thrilled about it - I had the same opinion as some in this thread, where it didn't feel like it had any flow and the rules weren't particularly novel or interesting. But as I got more and more games under my belt, I started to appreciate the difficulty of the shots, which require skill but not ridiculous amounts thereof to make. It's the difficulty of the shots which makes them all the more satisfying to hit and chain together as you ramp up your skills. I also began to understand the depth of the playfield and the strategy required for setting up various heroes, the versus modes, and the multiballs. Once you get into the groove with hitting the hero shots, and understanding how various shots set up modes and multipliers, Avengers becomes an incredible thrill, and that's when your score progresses exponentially. If you don't put much time into the game, I can understand why you would be underwhelmed, but you'd be selling the game short to think that that's all there was to it.

I can understand why people would have preferred the original voice actors provide voice samples for the game, but it doesn't bother me, personally - I thought the actors did a fine job voicing their respective characters, and the Hulk, who does the vast majority of the talking in the game, anyway, is hilarious. I also like the music and how each character has their own theme which comes to the fore when you active their mini-game.

As for build quality, I haven't had any complaints, perhaps because mine is a later model where Stern presumably has already worked out some hardware and software kinks. I have no problems with my Black Widow ramp, haven't had any parts break or show undue wear in the admittedly short amount of time I've owned it, etc. The tesseract plate did get a bit loose over the first 20 games, such that the plate would sometimes tilt under the ball's weight, trapping the ball, but I tightened up the post attaching the cube to the base plate, and it's been fine since. Oh, and I did install the Pinball Refinery's tesseract mod recently, because, well, the lighted cube is terribly cool.

Anyway, I just wanted to put my thoughts out there, since the loudest people commenting on the Avengers pin seem to be those who want to crucify the game, and I don't want people coming in fresh to think that's it's some kind of open and shut case. There are people who don't like the Avengers, which is their prerogative, but there are also people out there, like myself, who really like the game and think it's a solid pin and great fun to play.

#504 10 years ago

Most of the vitriol comes from people that couldn't decipher between their anus and a hole in the ground. Or a hole in their head.

#505 10 years ago
Quoted from billin:

Late to the party here, but got a Avengers Pro NIB a couple of months ago and am seeing a number of these "Avengers sucks!!!" posts online. I understand people have different preferences and tastes and whatnot, but there appears to be some real vitriol for the Avengers pin, which baffles me a bit. It's almost as if people are personally offended by AVG, that it's not just that they don't like it but that the machine SUCKS SOOOO BAD. Oookay.
My family and I have now played somewhere around a couple hundred games on our Avengers Pro, and we like the pin very much, an opinion I personally grew into. When I first started playing, I thought the play was okay but wasn't overly thrilled about it - I had the same opinion as some in this thread, where it didn't feel like it had any flow and the rules weren't particularly novel or interesting. But as I got more and more games under my belt, I started to appreciate the difficulty of the shots, which require skill but not ridiculous amounts thereof to make. It's the difficulty of the shots which makes them all the more satisfying to hit and chain together as you ramp up your skills. I also began to understand the depth of the playfield and the strategy required for setting up various heroes, the versus modes, and the multiballs. Once you get into the groove with hitting the hero shots, and understanding how various shots set up modes and multipliers, Avengers becomes an incredible thrill, and that's when your score progresses exponentially. If you don't put much time into the game, I can understand why you would be underwhelmed, but you'd be selling the game short to think that that's all there was to it.
I can understand why people would have preferred the original voice actors provide voice samples for the game, but it doesn't bother me, personally - I thought the actors did a fine job voicing their respective characters, and the Hulk, who does the vast majority of the talking in the game, anyway, is hilarious. I also like the music and how each character has their own theme which comes to the fore when you active their mini-game.
As for build quality, I haven't had any complaints, perhaps because mine is a later model where Stern presumably has already worked out some hardware and software kinks. I have no problems with my Black Widow ramp, haven't had any parts break or show undue wear in the admittedly short amount of time I've owned it, etc. The tesseract plate did get a bit loose over the first 20 games, such that the plate would sometimes tilt under the ball's weight, trapping the ball, but I tightened up the post attaching the cube to the base plate, and it's been fine since. Oh, and I did install the Pinball Refinery's tesseract mod recently, because, well, the lighted cube is terribly cool.
Anyway, I just wanted to put my thoughts out there, since the loudest people commenting on the Avengers pin seem to be those who want to crucify the game, and I don't want people coming in fresh to think that's it's some kind of open and shut case. There are people who don't like the Avengers, which is their prerogative, but there are also people out there, like myself, who really like the game and think it's a solid pin and great fun to play.

I love Avengers and don't enjoy AC/DC. Go figure.

#506 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Jackbot?
Cough cough
rd.

Wait, you don't like Jackbot? I've never heard of anybody not liking that game...

#507 10 years ago

Wow talk about bringing back a dead thread. Love the game and if you don't play something else.

#508 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Wait, you don't like Jackbot? I've never heard of anybody not liking that game...

Jackpot is *ok*. I didn't really like jackpot either until I started playing it for what it is as opposed to wishing it was something else. The game isn't more fun than Pinbot and is not as interesting as bop, so should probably sell for around a thousand bucks, so the fact that people selling think its worth $1,500 - $2,000 probably draws attention to its shortcomings.

#509 10 years ago

The game definitely gets a much better flow, and ends up being a lot of fun, once you have some time on it and can put some shots together. We enjoy ours also. Great light show with the Terreract mod.

#510 10 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I love Avengers and don't enjoy AC/DC. Go figure.

Me, too. I had an AC/DC Premium at my house for a month or so. Picked it up for a friend. It's a decent game and I'll play it on location or at a friend's house, but I prefer Avengers LE. Really couldn't get into AC/DC. Each to his own. Personally, I think some is a great time to buy an Avengers LE or Tranformers LE for that matter. Both are getting a very bad and undeserved bad rap. Folks will wake up eventually and I think prices will go up on these titles.

Cheers,
Duane

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 510 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/man-avengers-sucks-soooo-bad-what-happened/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.