IMG_3358 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3357 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3356 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3544 (resized).jpeg
IMG20230816193336 (resized).jpg
IMG20230816193415 (resized).jpg
IMG_2906 (resized).jpeg
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 63 days ago

Maybe I misunderstood...the eddy sensor has to sense beyond the subway to the playfield topside...if that's the case - no way....7mm is the range...8mm at best...playfield thickness alone is 13mm...this is why the pins in the 90s had MRS' in routed pockets underneath because of the sensitivity limtation...

#202 63 days ago

No the subway is just for the subway .... Mrs is great but not two inches great

#203 63 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

No the subway is just for the subway .... Mrs is great but not two inches great

Ahh good...yep MRS is perfect for the subway...we have them in subways' in many, many pins...

Matt

#204 63 days ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Ahh good...yep MRS is perfect for the subway...we have them in subways' in many, many pins...
Matt

Ok then yeah it's all good. Just wanted to make sure a MRS didn't have a sensing range of like 4 inches and was going to be detecting balls in play topside. Sounds like I can go snug to the underside of the subway.

#205 63 days ago

For multiple reasons, we tune the sensitivity of each switch but it won't be near 4 inches! This is actually a really good spot for an MRS.

#206 62 days ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Nice project!
Atari did something similar in 1976 in their The Atarians with "Magnetic Sensor Switches" as they called them. We restored 2 The Atarians games 1 year ago and made a Rontgen photo of one of these switches on which you can see a reed switch and a carefully placed permanent magnet. It was a nice solution back then.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

This is fascinating to us - we didn't know this type of sensor were used in 70's era pins....is this normally open or normally closed...I don't see a diode....assume the magnet is the disc on top....I'm not sure they are true MRS'...they look inductive - like hall sensors...

#207 62 days ago
Quoted from Sonic:

This is fascinating to us - we didn't know this type of sensor were used in 70's era pins....is this normally open or normally closed...I don't see a diode....assume the magnet is the disc on top....I'm not sure they are true MRS'...they look inductive - like hall sensors...

They are normally open. The magnet is indeed a circular one on top with a small hole in it, actually a ring shaped one. You can recognize the glass body of the reed switch inside. Atari Gen 1 games didn't have a switch matrix. One side of the switches were all commonly connected to 1 buffer connected to 1 bit from the databus. The other side of the switches were "selected" by a bunch of TTL decoders, one at the time. So they are passive. We wondered ourselves how they are working so I took one to work where we have some rontgen equipment.

Atari only used them at The Atarians and used leaf switches in later games. I think the reason was they could be manipulated externally with strong magnets. Therefor, in Atarians, each "Magnetic Sensor Switch" is surrounded by another Magnetic Sensor switch hooked to the Tilt Input. If someone tried to manipulate the switches by a strong magnet (in order to earn credits) the game Tilted. From the around 20 Magnetic switches in Atarians, half the amount is used as a Tilt/Tamper switch. In our games we had a few defective ones (stuck). We removed all the magnetic switches used as Tilt switches and use these as spares.

#208 62 days ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

They are normally open. The magnet is indeed a circular one on top with a small hole in it, actually a ring shaped one. You can recognize the glass body of the reed switch inside. Atari Gen 1 games didn't have a switch matrix. One side of the switches were all commonly connected to 1 buffer connected to 1 bit from the databus. The other side of the switches were "selected" by a bunch of TTL decoders, one at the time. So they are passive. We wondered ourselves how they are working so I took one to work where we have some rontgen equipment.
Atari only used them at The Atarians and used leaf switches in later games. I think the reason was they could be manipulated externally with strong magnets. Therefor, in Atarians, each "Magnetic Sensor Switch" is surrounded by another Magnetic Sensor switch hooked to the Tilt Input. If someone tried to manipulate the switches by a strong magnet (in order to earn credits) the game Tilted. From the around 20 Magnetic switches in Atarians, half the amount is used as a Tilt/Tamper switch. In our games we had a few defective ones (stuck). We removed all the magnetic switches used as Tilt switches and use these as spares.

Ah....that makes more sense in how they were used....fascinating....I get it now..

Matt

#209 62 days ago

I’m building a homebrew, and I will need a few rollover mrs in the shooter lane, I plan to cut in switch slots to fit in mrs, can you please provide the dimensions of the oblong hole that I need to cut to fit the switch slot designed Mrs?

Also, is there a ball speed limitation to the mrs detection ?

#210 62 days ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I’m building a homebrew, and I will need a few rollover mrs in the shooter lane, I plan to cut in switch slots to fit in mrs, can you please provide the dimensions of the oblong hole that I need to cut to fit the switch slot designed Mrs?
Also, is there a ball speed limitation to the mrs detection ?

Left you a vmail Ben...

#211 62 days ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Left you a vmail Ben...

Thank you! Phone tag

Since I’m able to create this playfield from scratch, I think the question is if I route under the playfield for switches, how deep should the route go, and what shape so I can mount the Mrs properly??

There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.