Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

slip_roll.jpg
    CAM00079[1].jpg
    CAM00074.jpg
    screen-capture-6.png
    Ball Guide Post Base.jpg
    Ball Guide Post 2.jpg
    Ball Guide Post.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bonnevil69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Hey all. I recently came across this interesting topic from 2 years ago regarding metal fabrication, which I know very little about.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fabricating-sheet-metal-pinball-parts-type-of-metal-to-use
    I figured starting a new topic because I'm looking about specifically making/cutting ball guides with both straight and curved patterns. I have a pin design I'm tinkering with and I've been using old ball guides from parted games. I picked up a sheet of 8" x 24" Hillman brand 16 gauge sheet metal from Lowe's. It appears to be the same thickness as standard ball guides. Not sure if it's stainless steel.
    I'll check on nearby metal shops for info, but what is the best, simplest, least-messiest, least-dangerous way of doing it at home?
    -What are the best jigsaw blades to cleanly cut with no/minimal jagged edges?
    -Are cut off wheels better? I've got an angle grinder and dremel for large/small pieces.
    -Best tools for deburring?
    -Are Beverly shears strong enough? Can they cut clean curves as well as straight lines?
    -As for drilling holes, I read that a squeeze punch (eg: Roper Whitney) or cobalt bits & cutting oil are the way to go. Anybody have experience with these?
    Appreciate any help!

If its from lowes Its not stainless

If you look at the back of the jig saw packages it tells you what is the best blade for different thickness and speeds

Cut off wheels are good for short cuts or for notching a little to make a very tight bend in 16 gauge

for deburring i usually use a bench mounted belt sander does it fast and smooth with little sparks
    if it needs alot of shaping then i use a flap disc on an angle grinder

I dont recommend using shears to cut 16 gauge it bends the metal which means more finishing work

i use cobalt or titanium bits on a drill press at a low speed for drilling out the holes for the rivets

Hope this helps you out
    Matt

#20 9 years ago

If you clamp it in a vice with some smooth steel plates to protect the piece from damage you can hammer it to the angle you need it with minimal distortion. Nice job by the way.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bonnevil69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/makingcutting-your-own-metal-guides?tu=Bonnevil69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.