Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Skypilot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hello, I love this site, but like most of the internet it has it's share of annoying and obnoxious users. These users can dominate conversations and shift the whole mood of a discussion. I do not like engaging in these types of chats and will first scroll past their messages but eventually the annoying user gets blocked.

Unfortunately on rare occasion some of these opinion spamming and obnoxious users will actually share useful answers to a persons questions. The current state of the ignore feature doesn't allow you to peek at the post or who posted it. Being able to click through an ignored message would make the feature more powerful and useful to more users. Instead of 100% filtration of content it gives the end user the flexibility to filter out obnoxious banter while occasionally digesting some useful info or popcorn drama from the trolls.

If such a feature could be easily and readily added to the website that would be awesome. If not, life goes on.

#2 6 years ago

So,you ignore them.
    Not/ Then ignore them again.

#3 6 years ago

There is actually a reason we did not do this (because it can be done quite easily): it proofed to be too tempting to have an "unhide" button for ignored posts. Curiosity would get the best of people and (in a Gandalf voice) "posts that should have remained hidden, became visible to the very people who shouldn't be reading them". And that defeats the purpose. After all, the main reason for the ignore feature is to try and keep the forums free of the same people bickering in each and every thread because they don't like each other. I hope I'm making sense.

#4 6 years ago

I just sign out and sign back in after.

#5 6 years ago

** ignored user post. **

#6 6 years ago

I'd still like to see ignore scorch even more earth and add the option to ignore any posts that have an ignored user in the quote. So the response to them is also excised. That may help derailed threads become readable again.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I just sign out and sign back in after.

You can also do this, to view anything as guest:
    - copy post link (right click the # icon above a post)
    - open up an an "incognito" or "private" window in your browser. Often this is done with Shift-Control-N or Shift-Command-N
    - paste the URL

Quoted from frolic:

I'd still like to see ignore scorch even more earth and add the option to ignore any posts that have an ignored user in the quote. So the response to them is also excised. That may help derailed threads become readable again.

Great idea and maybe it's doable, I'll have to dive in.

Another option is threaded posting. But that's a whole different ballpark

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Hello, I love this site, but like most of the internet it has it's share of annoying and obnoxious users. These users can dominate conversations and shift the whole mood of a discussion. I do not like engaging in these types of chats and will first scroll past their messages but eventually the annoying user gets blocked.
    Unfortunately on rare occasion some of these opinion spamming and obnoxious users will actually share useful answers to a persons questions. The current state of the ignore feature doesn't allow you to peek at the post or who posted it. Being able to click through an ignored message would make the feature more powerful and useful to more users. Instead of 100% filtration of content it gives the end user the flexibility to filter out obnoxious banter while occasionally digesting some useful info or popcorn drama from the trolls.
    If such a feature could be easily and readily added to the website that would be awesome. If not, life goes on.

I'm sure I'm one of those you're talking about...minus the helpful part.

In reality, you should've seen the site a few years ago...it was much worse. Robin and his team have gone a long way towards cleaning the neighborhood up. For an A/B comparison, pop on over to RGP and see what a train wreck that is.

#10 6 years ago

Can the ignore feature be programmed to give the offending party a small electrical shock?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

There is actually a reason we did not do this (because it can be done quite easily):
    ... I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks for your reasoning, makes perfect sense. I prefer to not block anyone because opposing opinions are great, however the most obnoxious or blatant trolls really ruin the atmosphere.

And no Beelze, you aren't blocked... yet

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

** ignored user post. **

What did you say

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-the-ignore-feature-more-useful?hl=markp99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.