• Latest reply 10 years ago by Iamdarras
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fff.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I guess it is possible but what is required?
eg; Moulds- Where to get
- How to make
- From what
What sort of plastic to use.
What else is required. Heating process etc.
Cant find plastics for blackwater 100 anywhere so looking to make them

#2 10 years ago

Google. Plastic, injection molding.

Find a company to make mold ( lots of $$$$ ) find a company to mold the ramp ( lots of $$$$ ).

Then need 300 or more to sell to break even. Sell 50. Store the rest. ( lots of $$$$ ).

Things like that.

LTG : )™

#3 10 years ago

Isn't most ramp construction vacuum forming rather than injection molding, though?

Everything else still applies of course.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Isn't most ramp construction vacuum forming rather than injection molding, though?

I believe you are right.

So at least you wouldn't need a big machine to melt the plastic beads. Just a big sheet of hot plastic and a huge vacuum.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yes , but the best ramps are made of metal .
OP , you will spend less money finding someone that has a spare set that they will sell you at an overpriced price .

#6 10 years ago

OP , you will spend less money finding someone that has a spare set that they will sell you at an overpriced price quote>

Yes but ramps for Blackwater are a bit like rocking horse shit

#7 10 years ago

I didn't say it would be easy , I said you would spend less money and I stand by that statement .

#8 10 years ago

Another option is if your ramps are just cracked find someone with a nitrogen plastic welder ( and who is skilled at using it ) to repair them for you .How bad are your ramps ?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Another option is if your ramps are just cracked find someone with a nitrogen plastic welder ( and who is skilled at using it ) to repair them for you .How bad are your ramps ?

One machine I have, they are badly warped with some broken. Other machine has few broken pieces missing. All of these machines(any that I have seen) break on the bottom right side of the uphill ramp.

1 week later
#10 10 years ago

You could try making your own out of something different. Being visually identical is nice but being functionally identical is the real requirement.

#11 10 years ago

How are your papier mâché skills?

#12 10 years ago

nice ascii!

#13 10 years ago

Blackwater's ramps are really unique. I'm wondering if you could make some out of thin metal and then coat with some sort of hard plastic dip.

#14 10 years ago

Thanks. You're cute too Doc!

fff.jpgfff.jpg

#15 10 years ago

if you have the broken ramp, use bondo or some sort of putty to make a "positive" mold from it, then you need a vacuum box, a shop vac for suction and some sheets of plastic specifically made for vacuum moulding (like PETG, etc)

You heat the plastic sheet in your oven until it reaches a certain temp and starts to dip, you pull it out and place it on the vacuum box over the positive mould, turn on the shop vac which sucks it over the mould. wait for it cure/dry.. pop it out. cut away the excess plastic, drill mounting holes, etc etc.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-good,-cheap,-upgradeable-sheet-plastic-vacu/

it is by no means easy, but if you need a ramp and have no other option (and have some time to dink around with this) it could be interesting.

#16 10 years ago

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-good,-cheap,-upgradeable-sheet-plastic-vacu/
Very informative video.Makes it look easy. Hardest bit will be to make the moulds. Will see what I can come up with. When I get some time that is.
Cheers. Dave

#17 10 years ago

I made my own vacuum form and was tempted to make some of the easier stuff like maybe my Robocop ramp that has a crack in it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-ramps-is-it-possible and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.