3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by azpinguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you make pins available at parties?”

• Yes! They are meant to be played! 117 votes
      90%
    • Adults only please 9 votes
      7%
    • No! They are mine and mine only, go get your own! 4 votes
      3%

(130 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Chimper_(resized).jpg
    022_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    MILESLIAM_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    _20160208_101218_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago

Prepping my machines for my first get together since November. My problem is that once I have all of them working I end up trading most of them. To date I've never held two get togethers with the same lineup. Everyone tends to be pretty chill. I love to open my doors to let others play. Bigger difference is I won't take mine to an expo or tournament. I have seen way too many temper tantrums where someone kicked the coin door when losing a ball.

#52 3 years ago

In full disclosure, I do usually have to fix at least a couple things after every party though...

#53 3 years ago

I love taking my games to Expo.

People appreciate playing a properly set up game where everything works.

I've never seen anyone kick in a coindoor at any show.

Some occasional glass slapping, but that never hurts anything.

#54 3 years ago

Get off my lawn...

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mottwally:

But, if you're going to have a lot of folks over, and kids will be in the mix. Pull them keys out of the coin door son!!

I learned this lesson the hard way. We had some friends over and their kids wanted to play. I turned on the games and let them play. The adults stayed upstairs while the kids played in the basement. My teenage son was down there so I wasn't worried.

After everyone left I went downstairs to turn the games off and noticed that all of my keys were gone from each game. I freaked out as the keys in the doors were the only keys I had to the games. I asked my son if he knew what happened to the keys and he said "no idea, I was just playing video games".

After looking around the room for a bit I noticed that the keys were in my drink holders on the side of the games. Of course, none of the keys to the games were actually in the corresponding drink holder. I had to find the right key for each game.

Since that time I now have a key locker in a separate room. I know that I could key all of the locks the same but if the original lock and key is with the game, I leave it.

Anyway, nothing wrong with letting people play, including kids. I find that most people are pretty good about taking pointers on how to play, including using one flipper at a time.

Dave

#56 3 years ago

Kids lol, most of the younger generation have an attention span of an insects so they only play a few balls and then off to the ps4.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ball_Shine:

Kids lol, most of the younger generation have an attention span of an insects so they only play a few balls and then off to the ps4.

I couldn't even finish reading this post

#58 3 years ago

My games are always on at parties or if guests come over. Chimping bothers me, not because of any potential damage, but only because of the constant chatter. It is annoying. I try to teach the kids to wait to hit the buttons when the ball is near the flippers but some get it, some don't. I don't even bother with such high skill tasks as using one flipper until they stop chimping.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ball_Shine:

But then they'll play the ps4 for hours. There is nothing wrong with "kids today" just because they aren't interested in the same thing you are. I bet when you weren't yet an obsolete old fogey you laughed at the old folks saying the exact same thing about you.

#60 3 years ago

Yep them darn kids get tired of playing kick the can outside and go inside to play them darn fool peen-ball machines for hours...

1 month later
    #61 3 years ago

I know this is an older topic but I thought I would add my opinion. I have a 15 year old daughter who used to like to play a few games of pinball when she was younger. Now she is looking at her phone every waking moment... Her friends are sometimes interested in the pinballs. I let them get started. I try to play the first game with them. Explaining how to start a game one or two player games. Then I tell them that pinball is like riding a bike. You have to do it for a while to get good at it. I tell them that flipping when the ball is no where near the flippers doesn't help, and that to get any power from the flipper the ball needs to rest on it when it is down. Flipping constantly doesn't work...
    That usually helps some...

I politely remind them when again they start chimping. If they don't like my reminder, and they say they don't want to play anymore that is fine with me. It is about respecting other peoples stuff. My collection costs more than most peoples cars... So I feel I have the right to require "normal" pinball play. *yes normal as defined by me* if they want to do it there way, they can buy there own games.

I have had all the keys removed and left in the bucket with tokens. Why? I don't know. I have had some a-hole kids come over. I saw one kid sticking token in his pocket and they were bulging... I asked what he was going to do with all the tokens. He said his dad would need them the next time they go to the car wash... WTF? I said no those are mine, your dad can buy his own...

The other thing that made me PO'd for a while was when my ex-girlfriends sister came over with her two pre-school kids. They were on vacation and I had to work... So I have a HUO TSPP that I purchased brand new in like 2004. It had like 400 games on it (or so). This was 8 years ago... When I came home I hear squealing and the three year old is standing on a chair in front of the TSPP (four player game going) plunging balls like a wild animal and not even trying to flip... His parents are in the other room watching TV. I was like what is he doing? They said "Oh he likes to see the ball and hear the noises..." I asked and he had been doing that -all day--- 300 or so more games! I was a pretty mad. I do have like 10 other games they could have had him play, obviously my fault as I didn't tell them not to play that one with 30-45 second games for 4-5 hours...
    just my $.25...
    -Shawn

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 27.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 21.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball-Mods.com
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside