3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by azpinguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you make pins available at parties?”

• Yes! They are meant to be played! 117 votes
      90%
    • Adults only please 9 votes
      7%
    • No! They are mine and mine only, go get your own! 4 votes
      3%

(130 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Chimper_(resized).jpg
    022_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    MILESLIAM_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    _20160208_101218_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I know we all spend a lot of money and time with our collections making them just right. My question is do you make them available for parties? We just had a Superbowl party and mine were available to play.

I truly do enjoy when adults come and play and have a great time. it's "some peoples kids" that make me want to stroke out with the constant flipping of the flippers, starting 4 player games, leaving in the middle of a game, etc etc. I very nicely explained to several that "look use one flipper at a time to hit the ball, it's easier and more fun"

I know I am over reacting, use curious as to others thoughts....poll added

#2 3 years ago

What is the point of having machines if you don't let people play them?

I doubt a lifetime of home use (even with constant parties) would ever come close to the abuse most of these machines had seen in a week on location. They we built to be used and abused not to sit and look pretty.

#3 3 years ago

I always have mine available for everyone to play. Yes, kids starting 4 player games and walking away is frustrating, the constant flipping is too... but it's part of pin ownership. I just run around every few minutes and reset the machine. The biggest downside is my number of plays per machine is really more inflated than it should be.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from thall17:

I know we all spend a lot of money and time with our collections making them just right. My question is do you make them available for parties? We just had a Superbowl party and mine were available to play.
    I truly do enjoy when adults come and play and have a great time. it's "some peoples kids" that make me want to stroke out with the constant flipping of the flippers, starting 4 player games, leaving in the middle of a game, etc etc. I very nicely explained to several that "look use one flipper at a time to hit the ball, it's easier and more fun"
    I know I am over reacting, use curious as to others thoughts....poll added

i know plenty of adults who can't follow those instructions either. Both flippers all the time.

#5 3 years ago

Nobody wants to be the guy who says that children aren't allowed to play with his toys (unless your toys are firearms, motor vehicles, power tools, or $15k+ musical instruments). I can tell from your post you don't want to be that guy, either.

So try to get over it. If it means one extra flipper rebuild over the life of the machine (and it likely won't), who really cares?

I remember gritting my teeth a little the first time I saw my nieces hammering the flipper buttons. After I realized whatever little harm they can cause to machine is inconsequential, I decided I wouldn't worry about it.

#6 3 years ago

Sometimes, I get more joy seeing other people enjoy my pinball machines than I do when I play them or while fixing them. There's that sense of pride, seeing others play your brought-back-from-the-dead games and really enjoying it.

I actually get more annoyed when I'm hosting a party and no one bothers to go to the game room to play them.

Funny story: I hosted a cocktail party for my buddies wedding at my house, had around 70 people in the house (my house is not terribly big), and the sheer volume of people FORCED them into the game room just to spread out. The pinball machines were so popular, there were lines to play some of them. The last time they probably have even seen half that action was when they were in the arcade. Because of all this action, my firepower developed a loose flipper assembly, and my whirlwind knocked out its flipper coil stop (they both were due for a rebuild, but I hadn't had the time to do it). Luckily, I was able to patch them with some duct tape and chewing gum to keep them going, but seeing all the people start up mini tournaments and playing competitively was something to behold. The pinball machines saved that party from being too cramped. It was glorious.

#7 3 years ago

Yes, I definitely don't want to be that guy...you all are correct, they would take far more abuse on location...Game Room Open !

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from thall17:

They are not going to break it...

#9 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#10 3 years ago

I like when guests play my games; that's part of the joy of having them.

The only rules are: no food or drink near the machines (I make exceptions for close friends with beer, just not actually on the game; I should really get some of those beer caddies) and no actual abuse: really rough nudging or shaking or hitting/kicking the games.

If kids or adults chimp-flip, I try to educate them on good play techniques.

RussM

#11 3 years ago

I had 14 kids (all under 10) playing 5 pins and a multicade last night and it was total chaos. Double flip, double flip, double flip, bash, bash, bash. 4 players going and flashing on all pins. Roadshow left plunger knob shattered.

They had tons of fun. It was great.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

really rough nudging or shaking or hitting/kicking the games.

I used to be like this, especially with my older games, but I've since really lightened up on my rules. I figure that these are industrial machines specifically designed to withstand abuse--and no amount of abuse in the home will even come close to what they'd get unsupervised in an arcade. I let my guests really dig in to the games now. Granted, few (if any) of my games are really collectors quality, so I'm not terribly concerned with that aspect; and as far as drinks go, I double seal my lockdown bar on my games. Its a little hard to enforce a no drinks rule when I have a beer meister in the same room

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

They are not going to break it...

I don't worry about kids breaking anything, but I do watch them like a hawk.

If they have stickers, gum, twigs, kitchen utensils, markers, food, any type of liquid, etc., and you don't pat them down. You're going to have a bad time.

It's also probably a known rule that I had to learn the hard way.

I mainly play alone, or with one or two adults, so It's never been a big deal.

But, if you're going to have a lot of folks over, and kids will be in the mix. Pull them keys out of the coin door son!!

I love my niece, and nephew......But, they just love shoving a thing into another thing. And stickers....... They are banned from my house.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mottwally:

But, if you're going to have a lot of folks over, and kids will be in the mix. Pull them keys out of the coin door son!!

I learned this the hard way. I had an autistic guest over one afternoon who loves all things buttons. He opened up that coin door and reset EVERYTHING on my earthshaker. Super lame, considering I'm the kind of person who really likes to finely tune the game rules. At the end of the day though, it was worth it to see him having so much fun.

#15 3 years ago

Always available all the time. The more people exposed to pinball the better. It's a party, the machines are a fun part of the party, so I encourage everyone to partake in a few games. Flip on!!!

#16 3 years ago

get em young...

#17 3 years ago

Admittedly I love it when kids come to play. I don't care that they slap the buttons too hard, get fingerprints on the glass, or leave the 4 player games going. They're getting exposed to something they've never seen before, and as long as they have a good time i'm fine with it. By the time they leave, even without help most of the kids that come out to play generally stop slapping the buttons by the time they leave once they realize how to play a pinball machine. I'm just happy they get to experience pinball, it's rare around here that they'd see one otherwise. I can fix anything they can possibly break.

#18 3 years ago

Small gathering, available for play, and I either enjoy watching or playing too. Large party in the summer, theyre on coin play to urge people to go out and be social, but if they wanna pop in a couple quarters they're available.

#19 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#20 3 years ago

Only reason to have these is to share the fun.

MILESLIAM_(resized).JPG

#21 3 years ago

My daughters arms aren't long enough yet to get to both flipper buttons but grandma is teaching her how to play Metallica. Now if I can only teach her grandma to not double flip.....lol

image_(resized).jpeg

#22 3 years ago

Let the kids chimp flip away.

It won't hurt the games one bit.

They will get bored in a few minutes and fall asleep with the dog somewhere.

022_(resized).jpg

#23 3 years ago

Sure, I just can't play myself when 8 machines are being hammered on at once since I have to run around being the repairman. My machines usually play perfect when I play them, but as soon as someone comes along to miss shots in creative ways, they find all the most unique ball traps or some important feature decides to break.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Let the kids chimp flip away.
    It won't hurt the games one bit.
    They will get bored in a few minutes and fall asleep with the dog somewhere.

022_(resized).jpg

Has anyone made a "no chimp flipping" sign?

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from mittens:

Yes, kids starting 4 player games and walking away is frustrating, the constant flipping is too... but it's part of pin ownership. I just run around every few minutes and reset the machine.

Hint: Set the coin door slam switch to sensitive. When you see a game sitting there with 4 players (or one player and no person standing) you just thunk the coin door with the side of your closed fist. Poof instant non-electrically stressful reset

#26 3 years ago

I don't see the harm in starting a four player game or leaving in the middle of a game. It's tough to watch little kids who have no idea what they are doing just beat on the flippers. However, I don't want to be the cranky get off my lawn guy. Beat away. I don't exactly baby my machines when I play them either. It's great when kids get excited seeing my pins. Sad thing is few really seem to get into it. Maybe I need more pins. lol

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Has anyone made a "no chimp flipping" sign?

Chimper_(resized).jpg

#28 3 years ago

I turn them on, walk away, and head upstairs. The kids don't want me downstairs with them. I tell them if something breaks, turn the machine off. No big deal. I'll fix it tomorrow.

#29 3 years ago

I get more satisfaction having my games played and enjoyed by family/friends when they are over than playing or fixing them myself.

If something happens to go wrong while they are being played I don't worry about it. Usually it's a quick fix and it's back in business.

I'd like to have more pin parties and hope to host a night for the league I play in too.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from thall17:

starting 4 player games, leaving in the middle of a game, etc etc

I had a bunch of guests over last night for the Superbowl, all grown ups. At one point I took a head count and everyone was down stairs watching the game right after kickoff, yet I could vaguely hear TWD music. I have that music on my phone as a ring tone, so after checking for missed calls a couple of times I figured I should check out the pin. Sure enough, I found several pins with balls ready to launch about two-thirds of the way through a two or three player game. People without any real exposure to pinball think the games will automatically shut off. They almost always start multiple player games too, which I think confuses them more on game rules and scoring, and also tends to cut the fun factor down a bit. I'm used to it now though so after each event I go through the sequence of clearing the pins, and also finding the inevitable stuck ball which never seems to happen when I play alone. Still, it's worth it just for the fun of sharing the hobby.

#31 3 years ago

Let them play! Really, nobody is going to damage anything by flipping like crazy, and if they do, then the game was so close to needing a rebuild that it would have happened in a few games anyways.

Before the party, check the games. Just make sure they are working as well as they can.

After the party, check the games. A couple of my old SS games always lose some lights from a hard night of action (usually a pop bumper light or two). A quick check and play will find these. Get them all replaced quickly, and it is back to normal until the next party.

#32 3 years ago

I'm usually protective of all my stuff, but for some reason, I don't mind how people play my machine. I figured if it survived years in a public space without any supervision over the 100's of people that have played it, I can let some kids play how they want to.

#33 3 years ago

I love it when my three year old plays my games! He gets soo excited when hes able to hit a ramp or something. Makes me feel like a good dad. And hes gonna win me some tourneys by the time hes 8.

#34 3 years ago

At my place, every party or gathering lately turns into a pinball party. It is really satisfying to see the games being played and enjoyed, and seeing people who haven't played in 20 years if ever asking me about how to lock balls and commenting on how hard a particular ramp is or whatever.

All the kids like to play too. Sure, many of them will just start a 4-player games and then walk away after 2 balls, and flip like monkeys on speed, but whatever. they're not hurting anything. Plus there's always one or two that actually stick with it and puzzle out how to get a multiball going and start to really get it.

#35 3 years ago

Mine are always available for play. That's part of the fun of having them!

Coin play solves the 4-player problem. I keep a central container of quarters.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from kyle5574:

Mine are always available for play. That's part of the fun of having them!
    Coin play solves the 4-player problem. I keep a central container of quarters.

I have thought about this avenue. How many quarters come up missing? Do you bother/keep count/care?

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from davjoszie:

How many quarters come up missing?

None if you have a change machine.

#38 3 years ago

This works on newer pins-
    I set the auto-plunge time to 25 seconds. If someone starts a game and walks away, the pin will finish on its own.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from davjoszie:

How many quarters come up missing? Do you bother/keep count/care?

Nah, I don't really care. Friends and family only. I did have some family once tell me they'd reimburse me for the quarters they used in the machines...they might have been drunk at the time.

I'd have some tokens minted for fun if I could come up with a good design. With friends and family though, cool custom tokens might be more prone to disappearing than quarters!

#40 3 years ago

I don't like most people's kids and knew by the age of 21 that I never wanted any of my own. The only kids to play my games have been my two nieces when my sister and her family would visit from Colorado once a year, but even then they mostly liked racing against each other on my two linked Cruis'n Exoticas and rarely tried my pinball machines. For a while there were a few friends with whom I would often get together, but then they started having their own kids. And as their kids grew up their lives revolved mainly around their kids activities and their own "free time" became nonexistent. We hardly ever have any visitors to our house. My best friend moved to Omaha years ago when he remarried after his first wife died. Another good friend came over once in 2013 to see my Camaro ZL1 when I got it and once in 2014 to help me unpack and set up my Stern Mustang Boss premium. Other than on Pinside very few people even know I have a game room.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

At my place, every party or gathering lately turns into a pinball party. It is really satisfying to see the games being played and enjoyed

I agree 100%! However, once in a while I like to have people over to watch movies or play poker and within 15 minutes everyone is playing Pinball and I have to throw my hands up in the air and join in! Just once in a while I'd like to have company and not have it just be a pin party...

All my freinds are playing pins and I want to talk they're looking down at my playfield but hey... my eyes are up here folks!!!

#42 3 years ago

Usually the double flippers get tired of playing pretty quick, my 11 year old and I laughed at a teenager that never played pinball before at the arcade whaling away on the flipper buttons so hard I thought they were going to push right thru the cabinet on a wizard of oz, if it were at my house I would have politely showed him how it works, but because we were at the arcade we just laughed at him, wish I had my phone, I would of took a video.

#43 3 years ago

When I saw the topic I thought you meant hiring them out to parties! I don't even hesitate when people come over here they are always on and people know where to find them or follow the noise and find them.

#44 3 years ago

my machines are definitely available for our parties.

They are toys meant to be played;

I'm not running a museum.

#45 3 years ago

The more people that come over the more opportunity to see these games used for what they were meant for. Money making amusement coin op machines.

#46 3 years ago

I get a kick out of watching guests play, adults or kids. I sometimes sit back or just look over their shoulders drinking a brew at the parties, while maybe giving a pointer or two. Sometimes it feels good to just say, "I play these all the time, you can go ahead and play it by yourself so you can really get into the game without waiting for turns"

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I don't like most people's kids and knew by the age of 21 that I never wanted any of my own. The only kids to play my games have been my two nieces when my sister and her family would visit from Colorado once a year, but even then they mostly liked racing against each other on my two linked Cruis'n Exoticas and rarely tried my pinball machines. For a while there were a few friends with whom I would often get together, but then they started having their own kids. And as their kids grew up their lives revolved mainly around their kids activities and their own "free time" became nonexistent. We hardly ever have any visitors to our house. My best friend moved to Omaha years ago when he remarried after his first wife died. Another good friend came over once in 2013 to see my Camaro ZL1 when I got it and once in 2014 to help me unpack and set up my Stern Mustang Boss premium. Other than on Pinside very few people even know I have a game room.

That sounds... sad?

#48 3 years ago

Likewise, anyone who visits can play any of my games. I've had pizza delivery guys, couriers, the window cleaner say they haven't seen a machine in years, at which point I turn them on and say help your self.
    When we have guests around I normally don't join in, purely as there's nothing more boring to a newbie than waiting for a good player to finish their ball before lasting 3 seconds on their own. Let them play, you can play once they've gone.

#49 3 years ago

My wife and I have friends and family over almost every weekend to play. We don't have kids, nor do most of our friends, so it's normally just an adult party. I love seeing all my games going at the same time with a full room. It's about as much fun to just watch and socialize than it is to play. I normally only play a game that isn't being played. I don't want to hold up the wagon by playing with other people. It can get frustrating when they have a 10 second ball and I'm going on my second crank it up.

#50 3 years ago

I love seeing other people enjoy playing my machines. Take some time to explain a few of the basics to the adults and they can in turn pass that on to the kids. You can supplement by floating around the game room to provide a small amount of instruction and demonstrating is even more useful. Keep it to just the most basic of basics (how to start a single game, how to launch the ball, how and when to press a flipper button, etc.). If someone catches on (perhaps over time), then show them some techniques. One of my thoughts is that some of the people you introduce in your home to pinball may be people that end up enjoying the game (even if not as much as you) and they are much more likely to put some coin in machines on location or even buy a machine of their own some day. Even if that doesn't happen, you helped them have a great time while in your home - what might be a routine evening for you may just be a special memory for them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 14.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Displays
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 1,000.00
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside