(Topic ID: 146506)

Making pinball wheelchair accessible - ideas?

By EvanDickson

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DCRand
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
    #1 8 years ago

I thought of this last night. I was at the pub where I op a couple games, and my friend's dad came in. I was talking with him and he mentioned how he really did love pinball back in the day. Back in the summer he had a very serious accident which left him paralyzed from the chest down. He can't leave his wheelchair, as he doesn't have control of enough of his core to stabilize himself on a tall stool, he would just fall off.

Has anyone ever thought about slick ways to make pinball wheelchair accessible? Short of building staging around one and having a wheelchair ramp, I can't think of how it would be done.

#3 8 years ago

Could you take the legs off and affix the pin to a lift table? Then it could be raised or lowered as needed.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/powerfist-660-lb-hydraulic-lift-table-cart/A-p8143307e

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#4 8 years ago

Instead of moving the machine and screwing with the level wouldn't a fold out ramp make more sense?

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Instead of moving the machine and screwing with the level wouldn't a fold out ramp make more sense?

good idea. then the ramp could be used for every game instead of having to modify every game.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

good idea. then the ramp could be used for every game instead of having to modify every game.

The problem with a ramp is that the size would be huge. The incline can only be a couple of degrees to roll up it. I'd be afraid that the ramp would need to be more then 6' long to get enough height, and then you have the risk of rolling off. Sounds like a safety hazard.

#7 8 years ago

A platform that is an electric lift with a back plate that folds up when you first start the lift. Then back plate acts as a small ramp to get up and stops rolling backward when raised. Up / down buttons on a cable on the leg bolt / cup caddy. This allows different heights and when you lower the back plate folds down last.

#8 8 years ago

Robert Gagno's mom, Kathy shared this with me just a few minutes ago. I had seen it before and couldn't find it when I searched youtube initially.

As it turns out this was discussed on pinside before with this very video.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/assistance-needed-wheelchair-accessible-pins

And then there was this fundraiser for a different idea.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wheelchair-accessible-pinball#/

#9 8 years ago

I'm no expert, but I do see that high end wheel chairs have different axle holes to make the chair taller.

How much taller does the chair need to be?

#10 8 years ago

This game was cut under to not just make it accessible, but comfortable.

#12 8 years ago

Hmm. I was wondering if there were any easy / inexpensive ways to do this and make it portable. Looks like most solutions are complicated, expensive, and better suited to home use only.

#14 8 years ago

There was a group at Replayfx that had solutions for all levels of need. Let me sift through my pictures..

#15 8 years ago

Those are server rack rails and a wiring plate. Readily available and inexpensive.

#16 8 years ago

We need Ben Heck on this...I wonder if he has any ideas ...

#17 8 years ago

It seems like there are two primary ways to focus on a solution.

1) Modifying a machine for wheelchair based play (examples above)
    - reducing the height by having shorter legs or having the machine on a lift system
    - modifying the front of cabinet so a wheelchair can fit underneath comfortably
    - possibly modifying the game so that alternate buttons can be used to flip

2) Providing tools or accessories or methods for a person in a wheelchair to play a "standard" pinball machine at any location. Issues needing resolution for this include getting the player to an appropriate
    - height
    - viewing angle
    - position for using the flipper buttons (if possible)
    or
    - having some accessory to attach to the machine so the play can use "add-on" flipper buttons?
    - and above all, maintaining safety while doing the above

My estimate from the OPs original post is that since his friend's dad is paralyzed from the waist down that if he could be "positioned" correctly and safely he'd be able to activate the standard flipper buttons... this makes me think something like a standing wheelchair could be used. [Though it may not make financial sense?]

See http://www.levo.ch/en/gallery/levo-lcev.html for an example of a "simple" version or search the rest of that site for other options.

#18 8 years ago

I like that standing wheelchair.. seems like a great thing for those that can use that type of chair. Not just for pinball mind you..... But HOLY COW the costs... $4500-$14k

3 years later
    #19 5 years ago

Bumping this old thread for a next level question. Have a friend in a powered wheelchair. Ideas?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-pinball-wheelchair-accessible-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.