Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

K.jpg
    J.jpg
    I.jpg
    H.jpg
    G.jpg
    F.jpg
    E.jpg
    D.jpg
    C.jpg
    B.jpg
    A.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Well, I just got hit with a problem doing my NOS Bounty Hunter playfield swap. I found that one of my ball guide rails was broken at the stamped area. I've seen many broken rails at that same area through the years. Usually, PBR comes through with a new part, not this time. So I was stuck trying to find a good replacement for this part. I looked at stainless steel rod ... too flimsy. I looked at steel rod, strong but it needs to be chrome which makes it expensive for just one. Just as I was feeling a little dejected, it hit me. Use a longer rail guide that I have here that's broken (since I never throw anything out) and bend it to shape. The problem is that without this stamped area, the rail works it's way back out of the playfield, sometimes causing damage. This is my attempt at making a tool to stamp the end so it'll stay in place on the playfield, hopefully someone will like it.

Original stamped area, the break usually happens just above the stamped area
    A.jpgA.jpg
    The parts I used to make my stamp tool
    B.jpgB.jpg
    Grinding the ends of the 3/4" #8 hardness bolts
    C.jpgC.jpg
    Drilling a small hole in the splice nut
    D.jpgD.jpg
    I'm missing a pic of the drilling of the bolts once they center to the hole but I have a couple of pics of the small center drill and the larger drill (size of the rail) done from each end. Once the ends are drilled, the splice nut has to be drilled even larger so the stamped area can freely slip out.
    E.jpgE.jpg
    F.jpgF.jpg
    Shorter bolt mig welded (poorly) to the splice nut.
    G.jpgG.jpg
    Threads grinded off the longer bolt so it slides freely to bottom out.
    H.jpgH.jpg
    Trying it out on a broken rail end to see if it was a waste of my time.
    I.jpgI.jpg
    Smacking it hard once with a hammer.
    J.jpgJ.jpg
    End results, it worked!
    K.jpgK.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Nice tool, and great idea !

Wear face shield if you are going to keep using a claw hammer - it's hardened face is going to chip.

#4 10 years ago

Ball Peen hammer is best. A big one.

#5 10 years ago

Fantastic idea! Well thought out.

#6 10 years ago

I likey this!

#7 10 years ago

Thanks guys, it was fun to figure out. I like making those odd type tools, this is one that I'll rarely use but will definitely come in handy when I (or friends) need it.

Steve

#8 10 years ago

Awesome!

#9 10 years ago

Impressed...

#10 10 years ago

awesome tool ...well done that man

#11 10 years ago

Awesome work!
    Thanks for sharing.

#12 10 years ago

Crazy. How's the EM to SS or vice versa coming along?

#13 10 years ago

Hey Izzy, very slow, I have too many things in the fire at the moment and they all demand a lot of time. I was lucky to find the time to bang out this stamp (although I needed it for a playfield swap I'm doing).

Steve

#14 10 years ago

Great post blownfuse

#15 10 years ago

Steve, Maybe by PAGG? Probably not. Looking forward to seeing you and whatever you bring.
    Izzy

#16 10 years ago

Right now, it looks like possibly I'll be bringing my Bounty Hunter & Spirit. Not sure what else I'll bring yet.

Steve

#17 10 years ago

Cool. I keep hearing about Spirit. It will be nice to see one.
    Izzy

#18 10 years ago

Wow that's great! Good work and thanks for posting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-a-tool-for-gottlieb-ball-guide-rails and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.