(Topic ID: 182511)

Making a Collapsible PVC Paint Booth

By SteveinTexas

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC05598 (resized).JPG
    DSC05594 (resized).JPG
    oops (resized).JPG
    webbing 3 (resized).JPG
    roof fix (resized).JPG
    DSC05581 (resized).JPG
    8 (resized).JPG
    7 (resized).JPG
    6 (resized).JPG
    5 (resized).JPG
    4 (resized).JPG
    3 (resized).JPG
    2 (resized).JPG
    1 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I needed a new outside spray booth as my last one was damaged beyond repair by strong winds. I decided after review of other people’s ideas to make a collapsible PVC paint booth following a YouTube video.
    The link is;

I made mine larger than the person in the video about 9” square X 7’-6” high. The 4 sides are not glued together and all come apart. It took a day to build with my wife helping me. It cost me at Lowes close to $200 in parts.

Parts Included;

• 24 lengths of 1’ pipe 10’ long
    • 21 90 ° elbows.
    • 40 Equal tee’s
    • 2 X 24” HVAC Filters
    • 1 X 20” HVAC Filter
    • 3 packs of 3 mil thick 10” X 25 “ PVC sheet
    • Bunch of Zip Ties
    • PVC glue I can (no purple prep stuff needed)
    • Box Fan (already had one)

Texas weather is quite forgivable for painting outside and I have cleared two play-fields in the drive way about 3 to 4 months ago. However, this cannot be my way to do things for cabinets as the auto paint is way too expensive to be lost in the wind. I need another paint booth.

Sides with door/ fan for outlet filters
    1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG
    To get accurate fit up you need to cut similar length pipe fit up nipples. I glued each side PVC pipe assembly length that had the elbows and tees together. The adjoining pipe is a loose fit for later possible collapsing if needed.

Pipe 90° elbow, tee and nipples all glued
    2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG
    The four pipe assembly’s held together with this minimum gluing concept and were further kept in place by the plastic sheet and zip ties.

Each side had its own 3 mil thick PVC sheet cover made on the ground. I connected with duct tape then immediately cut a hole and zip tied. It has up held well. To collapse further than to 4 sides you will need to cut the zip ties on two of the pipe assembly’s.

One of two sides between the door/fan inlet side and filter side.
    3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG
    I pushed the 4 sides together and added the roof and floor plastic and held with Velcro dots. The sides are not glued to each other just pushed in as we need to take apart. The roof and floor plastic is removed by unclipping the Velcro dots.

View from inside of the door/fan Side 1.
    4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG
    The two PVC horizontal poles are to brace the filters as they are pushed out by the fan.

Rear Side 2 with the outlet filters cut in.
    5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG
    Notice the connecting tee locations. We filled the corners from the inside as this is a positive pressure booth with a strip of plastic connected by more Velcro dots.

View of side 3. (View of side 4 opposite is the same only reversed….duh!)
    6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG
    I did not follow the position of the fan in the video however as it created a negative pressure that sucked in the sides and pushed the paint through the fan motor. I made mine a positive pressure booth with the fan protected by a filter pushing air into the booth and two filters in the opposite wall to get an air cross flow effect over the work. This had a few positive effects;

• The paint does not pass through the fan motor therefore it is safer
    • The booth sides are blowing out not pulling in reducing my work space.
    • My neighbors are protected, not like before from errant paint overspray.
    • It’s not happening in my garage.

My fan is not one of the square fans but one that I had that is a lot more powerful. It all worked out and I had little overspray on the work and a lot of room. The paint booth is also heavy enough that the wind did not move it around. I think this was a success.

Booth in Operation

I primed the parts first with cheap auto primer (cans) this time. Last time I used more expensive auto paint primer but I think it’s a waste for pinball cabinets unless we are going to leave them outside which we are not. So when in doubt I cheap out! This did open some more small splits in the thin front face veneer. A little more fill, sanding and priming and they seem OK. I have read in a thread by Ken ‘Pinhead 52’ that sometimes it may be simpler to remake this front fascia. That occurred to me but it looks perfect currently but time will tell.

First up Priming
    8 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG

3 medium coats of auto paint mixed to an appropriate color and this part is done.

Below is the lower cabinet. Even though the booth is 9’ square there is not really room to spray all together properly so after just a few minutes the paint is very dry and out it can go.
    7 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG

Webbing next. Then cut the stencils for the stripes.

#2 7 years ago

Excellent! I planned on doing something similar in my work shop by draping the plastic sheeting over the rails that the garage door runs on. I'm tired of getting over spray on everything.

Thanks for the tip on positive pressure vs negative, and not having combustible vapors traveling through a running motor. I'll have to keep all that in mind when I set mine up.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from browne92:

Excellent! I planned on doing something similar in my work shop by draping the plastic sheeting over the rails that the garage door runs on. I'm tired of getting over spray on everything.
    Thanks for the tip on positive pressure vs negative, and not having combustible vapors traveling through a running motor. I'll have to keep all that in mind when I set mine up.

I think you may still get some over-spray in your garage. Make sure if you do it that it can't escape except through the filters and to the outside, easier to say than do. The worst for over-spray is clear. Honestly it gets everywhere somehow. For that reason I came out of my garage and made the outside booth set up.

#4 7 years ago

Spray Booth Update;

Well we had some rain and strong winds Monday and Tuesday. The booth is up for more work this coming weekend. The spray booth took a bit of a battering. The rain did not get in until the roof pulled off and the booth moved about three feet up against the garage door.

Seems that additional Velcro dots are needed on all sides to hold down the roof PVC sheet. The fact that it got pushed maybe due to the roof opening and the winds getting under the remaining roof and assisted lifting the booth.

Easy to fix and keep using. Teething problems.

#5 7 years ago

Collapsible Spray booth Update 2

More windy today. Blew it apart. Crap.

Can be put together but no good for windy days.

DSC05581 (resized).JPGDSC05581 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

It would suck to have a nice clearcoat on a playfield and have that happen....DOH !!

#7 7 years ago

I like this idea. I'm feeling pretty bad lately about tying up the workshop when I spray outside and then it has to go in there to finish drying. I have come home and opened the door for the last few days. It would be nice to have a place to spray and then I could just leave it there for a few days. Hmmm.

#8 7 years ago

Just teething problems. But lesson is no spraying on windy days period.

#9 7 years ago

Still windy this weekend and needed to stop the collapsible spray booth from collapsing without my help.

Turned out by using a bunch of industrial strength Velcro the roof plastic was unmovable in the wind. The complete booth still walked away down the drive at one point when the door was open but it would not fall apart.
    roof fix (resized).JPGroof fix (resized).JPG
    Further when some weight was added and the fan was running it has perfect thru this weekend although the weather wasn't.

Was able to base coat, add webbing, artwork and clear in the booth. Groovy!

webbing 3 (resized).JPGwebbing 3 (resized).JPG

I had a blip can you guys see below what it was?

oops (resized).JPGoops (resized).JPG

Corrected the blip.
    DSC05594 (resized).JPGDSC05594 (resized).JPG

DSC05598 (resized).JPGDSC05598 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-a-collapsible-pvc-paint-booth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.