Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by koji
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I have a Williams Triple Action single player game. I want to make it a 2 player game. Is this possible? Has anyone ever tried this for any game?

#2 1 year ago

Even though it looks like the game has no ball-to-ball carryover features, it sounds like a *MAJOR* project. Taking the multi-player related guts out of another machine, adding the second set of reels, getting a lot of that to fit in the existing head, working all that into the existing circuitry etc. etc. Especially when the alternative is to simply let two players take turns playing their 5 balls and see who wins in the end. Just doesn't sound like it's worth the effort to me. Would be a bitch even if there was a 2 or 4 player offshoot of Triple Action, which I don't believe there was.

#3 1 year ago

Just about impossible... if there were only someone who would prove that it could be done! (Looks at original poster...)

This isn't quite as big a project as building a pinball from scratch, but it's along the same lines. Heroic dedication required, with the result being something that you'll never get your money out of.

You could fix lots of EM pinballs, enjoy them for a while and offer them for sale and make money in the same time you would devote to this extremely ambitious project... But if you love the machine, and NEED it to be two player on a very personal level, I'd say follow your obsession.

(shakes his head) It's a big job.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

of Triple Action, which I don't believe there was.

Williams 1974 "Star Pool" is a four-player game which is very similar to "Triple Action".

#5 1 year ago

I was thinking of doing the opposite. I was entertaining the idea of making a single player wedgehead version of "Pleasure Isle". I think that would be easier.

#6 1 year ago

I agree that converting a single player game to a two player game would be pretty tricky if you were going to try to keep it all electromechanical. However, if you were instead going to convert the control circuitry to solid state with an arduino or similar microcontroller the problem would probably be more straightforward. The inputs would be the playfield and cabinet switches while the outputs would be the score reels and non GI lights. You'd have to find a bulb to distinguish player 1 from player 2 (or use the credit wheel to indicate the player up), but you could share the score reels between players by restoring the appropriate score when the ball drains.

Then you'd have a game where you wouldn't need most of the relays or score motor.

/Mark

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Williams 1974 "Star Pool" is a four-player game which is very similar to "Triple Action".

Yeah I didn't see it because IPDB didn't mention it within the single player descriptions, only the other way around. Still some differences in the bonus multiplier and a few other little things.

Imagine a 2 player conversion of a 1P that DID have carryover features like a game-length sequence kept track of by a big relay bank. Then you'd HAVE to do it with solid state stuff.

#8 1 year ago

The Retro Pinball version of King of Diamonds is the most concrete example of taking an EM 1-player and making it into an electronic 4-player, and it can even be set in Add-A-Ball mode!
    .................David Marston

#9 1 year ago

Williams 8-ball (1966) and Gotllieb Scuba had a split bank carry over feature. So certain achievements scored by each player were "saved" and applied when it changed players.

#10 1 year ago

I converted a 2 player Continental Cafe to a single player when I made my Whoa Nellie. It would just be the opposite process for you.
    Install an alternating relay and an extra set of score reels. Build a new head or get everything to fit in your existing head. Build a lamp panel from scratch. Source a new backglass.
    Technically very easy, but a massive pain in the ass.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mundy53:

I converted a 2 player Continental Cafe to a single player when I made my Whoa Nellie. It would just be the opposite process for you.
    Install an alternating relay and an extra set of score reels. Build a new head or get everything to fit in your existing head. Build a lamp panel from scratch. Source a new backglass.
    Technically very easy, but a massive pain in the ass.

Ball count unit is going to add some complexity.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Ball count unit is going to add some complexity.

Ball count isn’t an issue on a two player. It becomes a problem with a 4 player since that would require the addition of a stepper unit.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I was thinking of doing the opposite. I was entertaining the idea of making a single player wedgehead version of "Pleasure Isle". I think that would be easier.

Quoted from jrpinball:

This sounds smart. Yeah, basically find the guts for a 4-player WMS (I'm not sure if you could fit all the score reels in the single player head.., it's possible you could reposition some other head mechanics underneath which would be extra cool ), and then use that Star pool schematic to shoehorn everything together. I really don't see this approach being that difficult... most of the effort might be in the aforementioned work around the head etc.

Perhaps with the extra relays you could add some features. I really love these sorts of EM projects. If you have the will, there is most definitely a way.. and when you get in the EM mindset, it's a ton of fun!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-a-2-player-game-from-a-1-player-game-?hl=mundy53 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.