Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by ImNotNorm
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231122_165103.jpg
    20231122_165057~2.jpg
    20231122_165110~2.jpg
    Mermaid topper (1) (resized).jpeg
    Mermaid topper (2) (resized).jpeg
    Mermaid topper (resized).jpeg
    Williams San Francisco 1964 custom topper (resized).jpg
    goal-goals (resized).png
    Draft Design San Francisco Topper 250923 (resized).JPG
    73FD1684-B4CA-49FB-89E3-D20C012DF497 (resized).png
    45DAC8AC-4578-4AF3-8DC8-D5014E6FB5B6 (resized).png
    0A76F69C-53CE-46DB-A24E-DCFA28CEBE86 (resized).jpeg
    gotsignf (resized).jpg
    canon02052018 011 (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

Was wondering if anyone has made there own toppers for their EMs ? I have an Olympic hockey that is getting a repaint and repro backglass , plastics etc . It will be very nice when finished . Anyone ever make a topper for one ? Or any other EM ? I have a few ideas but wanted to see what others have come up with it !

#2 4 years ago

I think if tastefully done there are tons of EM's that would look great with toppers. People will shit on your idea and say it wasn't meant to have a topper, but fuck em.

A few pins that come to mind and an (idea for their topper):

Space Mission - (Shuttle Launch)
    Fireball - (3-D LED lamp with same image as pop bumper cap)
    4 Million BC - (Kick ass Dinosaur)
    Flipper Pool - (Wooden Pool rack)

Thanks
    Blake

#3 4 years ago

Not sure that this approach constitutes toppers but I have chosen to mount flyers within frames in the form and colours of the machine backbox. For Midway Raceway I have included x2 Dinky racing cars similar to those included within the backbox animation.

canon02052018 011 (resized).JPGcanon02052018 011 (resized).JPG

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Not sure that this approach constitutes toppers but I have chosen to mount flyers within frames in the form and colours of the machine backbox.

I did this in my em room too!

#5 4 years ago

Gottlieb made a topper way back when.

gotsignf (resized).jpggotsignf (resized).jpg
    #6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

I think if tastefully done there are tons of EM's that would look great with toppers. People will shit on your idea and say it wasn't meant to have a topper, but fuck em.
    A few pins that come to mind and an (idea for their topper):
    Space Mission - (Shuttle Launch)
    Fireball - (3-D LED lamp with same image as pop bumper cap)
    4 Million BC - (Kick ass Dinosaur)
    Flipper Pool - (Wooden Pool rack)
    Thanks
    Blake

I like the way you think ! That’s kind of what I’m looking to do . Something with maybe some hockey action figures , or perhaps a smaller scale hockey stick . I had a hot shot that I put a big magic 8 ball on top of that looked really cool .

#7 4 years ago

I Definitely plan on doing one my self but are there any companies or people in pi side who do this for EMs already ?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

Gottlieb made a topper way back when.[quoted image]

I wonder if these are still findable ? Kinda cool

#9 4 years ago

I once put a cheap little ship in a bottle on top of my Argosy, and stuck a couple GI lights behind it. Looked pretty cool.

Didn't survive the many moves it's had since then. Current topper for the game is a bunch of baseball caps.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from EMpins16:

I wonder if these are still findable ? Kinda cool

These are available (Repros) from Pinball Resource. Your post got me to thinking about picking one up.

#11 4 years ago

Some sort of hockey memorabilia might be cool . Now I want to find some sort of old toy plane for my super flite !

#12 4 years ago

http://www.pbresource.com/stuff.html

0A76F69C-53CE-46DB-A24E-DCFA28CEBE86 (resized).jpeg0A76F69C-53CE-46DB-A24E-DCFA28CEBE86 (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #13 4 years ago

Maybe I’ll design a topper for my Hi-Lo Ace. Could use some of the art from backglass and rearrange. Great idea.

#14 4 years ago

Found this inside my GTB North Star. I assume it was previous owner's topper.

45DAC8AC-4578-4AF3-8DC8-D5014E6FB5B6 (resized).png45DAC8AC-4578-4AF3-8DC8-D5014E6FB5B6 (resized).png
    #15 4 years ago

Obviously this isn’t a “make your own” option, but your post made me remember something I saw a while back.

If you’re on Facebook take a look at what this gentleman was selling. Not sure if he’s still making them but you could check.

He made one for Olympic Hockey.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1515859252011820/permalink/1988206194777121?sale_post_id=1988206194777121&sfns=mo

73FD1684-B4CA-49FB-89E3-D20C012DF497 (resized).png73FD1684-B4CA-49FB-89E3-D20C012DF497 (resized).png
    3 years later
    #16 6 months ago

I've just asked the local signmaker to make this "topper". I'll confirm in a few week's when it's ready if it actually fits. I'm sure it will need some fettling. The red circles just indicate that the automatic material cutter can't cut these square so they will have to be manually finished. Material is polycarb. Machine is clearly a Williams San Francisco 1964 with the graphic taken from the original backglass and sized to look proportionate. Time will tell if it just ends up in the bin!

Draft Design San Francisco Topper 250923 (resized).JPGDraft Design San Francisco Topper 250923 (resized).JPG

#17 6 months ago

I have one on my Old Chicago that came with the CPR plastics. I put it up there but wouldn't really go out of my way for any more.

#18 6 months ago
    Quoted from Nazumpan:

Obviously this isn’t a “make your own” option, but your post made me remember something I saw a while back.
    If you’re on Facebook take a look at what this gentleman was selling. Not sure if he’s still making them but you could check.
    He made one for Olympic Hockey.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1515859252011820/permalink/1988206194777121?sale_post_id=1988206194777121&sfns=mo[quoted image]

The only time I've thought about an EM topper is for an Olympic Hockey. Just an old style industrial cage over the glass and red bulb.
    goal-goals (resized).pnggoal-goals (resized).png

2 weeks later
    #19 6 months ago

Love it or hate it, here it is. Drops in to the two slots in the top of the back box so no modifications to the machine. Unexpected bonus is that where the tabs drop in from the topper, they keep the backglass from falling back when you have the back box mechanism open and leaning back to change bulbs. Whilst discussing this, what are those two slots in the top of the back box meant to be used for? I can't find anything on the site

Williams San Francisco 1964 custom topper (resized).jpgWilliams San Francisco 1964 custom topper (resized).jpg
    #20 6 months ago

I just got a skyjump. Thinking of putting my old skydiving helmet on top of the head as a topper. Lol

#21 6 months ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I just got a skyjump. Thinking of putting my old skydiving helmet on top of the head as a topper. Lol

I think that could look brilliant. I know some people don't like these things but great to see people trying things

#22 6 months ago

Hi,
    A shout out to Herb Silvers who made a custom Mermaid topper for my game. Beautiful graphics on sturdy acrylic, it's an excellent specimen, but personally I choose to have it displayed directly atop one of his Mermaid repro glasses, so both can be appreciated easily.

Joel

Mermaid topper (resized).jpegMermaid topper (resized).jpegMermaid topper (1) (resized).jpegMermaid topper (1) (resized).jpegMermaid topper (2) (resized).jpegMermaid topper (2) (resized).jpeg
    #23 6 months ago
    Quoted from TheRealMartin:

Whilst discussing this, what are those two slots in the top of the back box meant to be used for?

Heat ventilation

1 month later
    #24 4 months ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Quoted from TheRealMartin:

I think that could look brilliant. I know some people don't like these things but great to see people trying things

Decided to go a different route. Found a skydiving GI JOE for $25. Decided to hang it from the ceiling above the head with some fishing line. Making it look like he's in a free fall dive. (These are my test pictures)

It's not actually touching the head though. Does that disqualify it as a topper? Maybe it falls into a whole new category.......floater?
    20231122_165057~2.jpg20231122_165057~2.jpg20231122_165103.jpg20231122_165103.jpg20231122_165110~2.jpg20231122_165110~2.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-your-own-em-topper- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.