(Topic ID: 188193)

Pin2DMD color release for Street Fighter II!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
7CD72FE5-3199-45CD-9AF2-99A292121FA3 (resized).jpeg
CA6C86A6-8E1D-4635-B0C3-81EAAB887B16 (resized).jpeg
85da50d69340e39338ae1f6c578abc4832b1869a (resized).jpg
20200222_105408 (resized).jpg
20200222_105631 (resized).jpg
20200222_105335 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
AA83C207-0525-4591-A03D-F95499424483 (resized).jpeg
3CAAB96B-BBC3-494A-9416-130891238456 (resized).jpeg
32085FD3-EDAA-4C94-AF6C-D554E625AFC5 (resized).jpeg
20190718_210007_1.gif
ginger (resized).jpg
sf2_multiball red (resized).jpg
sf2_guile_instru2 (resized).jpg
sf2 guile instrution1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timboch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I took the pix but didnt upload them yesterday, so here they are now.
PS and power cord:

front wiring of PS:

Full body shot :p

Bonus Ken!

he just sits there, occasionally the "chun li return" will nudge his hand. If I ever sell the machine I'll keep him.

This looks like an easy way to get power set up as I have a spare power supply I never used for a blue elf multiboard. I just need to get a power cord without an end. Could you show a better picture of how the power cord wires hooked into the power supply? Also, I am assuming that the red wire at the top is the power wire for the DMD, but what is the white wire? I am also assuming that there is a black ground wire of the DMD that you connected to a ground port on the cabinet.

Looks like mine should arrive just in time for me to head out of town on my next trip. Guess I can watch all the videos a few times to try and better learn what I need to do to have the only color DMD Tee'd Off machine

Thanks for your time and help.

Tim

#280 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I didnt use best practices and the white is the ground, it splices into the black wire from the pin2DMD it'll get replaced eventually.
The power cord for the arcade power supply is just a PC power cord with the end lopped off.
Green is the Earth Ground
Black is the hot
White is the neutral
If you happen to cut a power cord and it has international coloring for the wires (like mine)
Green w Yellow Stripe is ground
Brown is hot
Blue is neutral.

That clears up a lot. I think I'll just go buy a power cord without an end from Menards today and hook it up to my unused power supply.

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/electrical-cords-cord-management/specialty-cords/smart-electrician-reg-16-3-3-indoor-power-supply-cord/p-1470660795788-c-13965.htm?tid=3767307231995737652&ipos=2

But am I correct that you needed to splice some wires to make the DMD wires reach the power supply?

Thanks again for the information.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#298 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Depends on where you put the power supply. You could probably lay it flat in the back of the cab and it'd reach. I put mine where I did because it was the easiest and I didnt have to worry about hitting it with the playfield.
EDIT: and yeah, that cord is perfect for powering the switching power supply.

One more question. Here is my unused power supply. The power cord connection looks to be straight forward. I bought a 6 foot cord so it could reach all the way to the back of the cabinet.
I noticed that you connected your DMD power (red wire) to a 5V 15A connection, I have a 5V 16A option, would that be sufficient? Or would the 12V 4A option at the top be better. Also, I expect that I can just connect the DMD ground to either the ground in the back cabinet, which is only a foot away, or connect it to the ground on the power supply.

Thanks again for all the help.

Tim

#302 6 years ago

Power supply is wired and plugged in. Putting out a little over 12V. Getting excited as I think it should arrive today.

#312 6 years ago

It arrived this afternoon. Though I didn't have the little box on top that you received. What was in it? Is it something I was supposed to get also? All that was in the box was the DMD and a small bag with what looks like an SD card adapter and 2 wire clips. Oh and enough foam peanuts to keep mine safe. I see the power and ground wires have male connectors on them. I will need to find some wire and attach female connectors that I could then connect to the power supply. Any idea what gage wire I would need to use?
I won't get to do any more until I come back from my trip on Monday, so I guess I'll be reading up on the installation while I am gone. Sure am anxious to get it running to start colorizing Tee'd Off.

Thanks again for all the help.

Tim

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I didnt use best practices and the white is the ground, it splices into the black wire from the pin2DMD it'll get replaced eventually.
The power cord for the arcade power supply is just a PC power cord with the end lopped off.
Green is the Earth Ground
Black is the hot
White is the neutral
If you happen to cut a power cord and it has international coloring for the wires (like mine)
Green w Yellow Stripe is ground
Brown is hot
Blue is neutral.

Hello Malenko,
I hope to finally get my DMD powered up today. The power and ground wires are too short to make it to my power supply, so I thought I would just get some wire and put a female end to connect to the male end of the DMD wires. The DMD power and ground wires seem to be of a heavier gage than most of the other wiring in the machine, but the wires you show hooked to your power supply don't look much different than normal arcade wiring. I don't want to burn out my new DMD by using something that is incorrect. So I am looking for help about what kind of wire you used to connect the DMD to your power supply.

Thanks for all the help you have given.

Tim

#334 6 years ago

Got it all wired up and installed. The youtube video was a bit different than what I needed to do to make my basic settings for a Gottlieb Tee'd Off, but finally figure out how to get into the Config Menu and set it to my version. It is a nice bright white now. There are some "psychedelic" colorings in the animantions, but this is showing a lot of promise and I look forward to working and helping in any way to colorize. I was trying to figure out where to attach the mini USB to the DMD but my cord doesn't fit any way I try. Is there a different version of mini USB this needs to connect. Sure would like to get a dump of the files to get things going for everyone.

Thanks again for all the help and patience.

Tim

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I'm going to need to lengthen the red and black wires from the DMD so they can reach my power source.
Any recommendations or suggestions on what to get/use to get that done?

I stopped by my local Ace Hardware and got 8 feet of red and 8 feet of black 16 gauge wire. Put a male end on one end and a U connector on the other. Seems to be working just fine.

#340 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

You need to connect to the micro USB to get a dump. Mini USB is only for firmware upgrade.
Could you upload a video in landscape and with higher resolution ?

Pardon my ignorance and possibly incorrect terminology. Basically I need to know what kind of USB cord is needed to connect and where does it connect to. Pictures would be very helpful for me to better understand as I am eager to create the dump file to assist in colorizing.

Thanks again for the help.

IMG_0022 (resized).PNGIMG_0022 (resized).PNG

7CC05E99-CB2A-4EB7-A505-CF439DAEF93A-1562-0000032780F02987 (resized).jpeg7CC05E99-CB2A-4EB7-A505-CF439DAEF93A-1562-0000032780F02987 (resized).jpeg

#342 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Micro USB here:

Found that this morning. Didn't even see it yesterday. Kept trying to fit the round peg in the square hole.

Thanks for the verification as I also found a mini USB cable that would have fit into the square hole and who knows what might have happened.

The version of pin2dmd.exe is a little different than the documentation. I am assuming that the Create Dump checkbox remains red until the dump is completed. Mine has been making a dump for about 20 minutes and is about 90mb so far. How big is a dump file and how long do they usually take to make?

Thnaks again for all help.

pin2dmd dump (resized).jpgpin2dmd dump (resized).jpg

#344 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

one you GZ compresses the dump its 1/10th the size. it'll keep recording as long as that check mark is checked. it stops when you uncheck it.
Mini USB is used for updating the firmware.

So there is no indication when the dump is done? Mine is up to about 300mb after an hour. I guess I am trying to make sure I gather the data that is needed and don't want it to be incomplete.

#346 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

all the dump is doing is recording all the frames that play on the DMD. Its not dumping rom info from the machine or anything. You can always add more recording to a project file if you missed something. If you look at my SF files, there's multiple recordings.

So I should play some games to get different scenes recorded. That helps a lot as my 400mb file showed very little since it was just recording the intro screens. Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I want to make sure I get what would be needed.

Thanks again.

#351 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Just to confirm....because....I'm an idiot
1- install dmd in place
2 - run red and black wires from dmd into the Lower cabinet under the playfield
3 - solder together female connectors to the additonal 16 gage red and black wire. (To reach power source)
4 - solder together U connectors to the additional 16 gage red and black wire ( so it can be soldered to power source)
5 - connect females with dmd's corresponding black and red wire
6 - solder U connectors to power source (red) and to ground (black)
7 - solder outlet cable to power source
8- plug in and play
The only question(s) I have is....
Does this power source looks right? (PSF100-12 model)
And where do I solder the red wire (dmd power) and black (ground) into the power source? (V, V+ or the other one)
Thanks so much and hopefully I'm done pestering everyone after the installation

Hopefully these pictures are worth a thousand words.
Since the dmd already had male ends, in crimped female ends to my black and red wire extensions. I then crimped U connectors to the other ends and connected them as shown.

Hope this helps.

20170816_135842 (resized).jpg20170816_135842 (resized).jpg

20170816_135922 (resized).jpg20170816_135922 (resized).jpg

20170816_135929 (resized).jpg20170816_135929 (resized).jpg

#353 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

You need to connect to the micro USB to get a dump. Mini USB is only for firmware upgrade.
Could you upload a video in landscape and with higher resolution ?

Hello Lucky1,
Thanks for all the great work you have done to make pin2dmd. I got the USB thing figure out and have made many dumps of different modes of play. I have saved these into an .xml file. What kind of video were you asking me to make? One of the dmd during gameplay or of how I got things working?

Would you like to take a look and use my .xml file? I'll try and help anyway I can.

Thanks again.

Tim

#361 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

You actually don´t save the dumps in the project XML file, you only reference them. Please make sure that you zip the XML, ANI and dump files when you share your project with others. So far I did not colorize anything, I only fixed some problems in the different projects of pin2dmd users. The video you uploaded had a very poor resolution. I just wanted a better video for verification.

Now I understand what you meant. That video was just a post showing that I had got it installed and running. Not for trying to make a colorization. I plan to watch your videos many more times before I'd attempt to colorize. I think Dom had requested me to make some dump files though and colorization could be done by someone else.
Would a video be helpful for that if it was better quality?

Thanks again for all your help as I am still a long way from understanding even the basics. But the pin2dmd is working very well in my Tee'd Off machine.

#375 6 years ago
Quoted from psychopat:

I tried that, is it supposed to reboot the display and show gottlieb v2? it's always returning to Virtual Pinball
So just to make sure, you left the SD card in when receiving it. Configured it as gottlieb v2, then saving. Then plugging the data cable and powering up the pin? Mine doesnt seem to save the settings properly for some reasons.
My led on the board shows as red, how does yours look like? It appears to be blue when working (from the stargate video).

This is where the Stargate video is different than our current pin2dmd. I too had a hard time trying to get into Config Mode. I believe I finally got it to enter Config Mode by holding both the Option and Menu buttons until Config Menu was displayed. You then can press Option (or maybe it was Menu) until you find the correct setting for your machine (gottlieb2 for my Tee'd Off). You can also select different color schemes and dmd display settings. The 2 taller buttons in the middle of the board you saw used in the Stargate video, only seemed to restart my dmd. I could be wrong about this as I didn't take any notes, but after 5 minutes of trial and error, I believe it was holding the Option and Menu buttons that got me into Config Menu.

#385 6 years ago

Since there are so many more people now involved with the PIN2DMD experience, wouldn't it be better for a specific thread to help people with setup and colorization. I feel I have kind of hijacked Malenko's thread for SF2.

#388 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I am absolutely loving this colorization. Malenko single handedly upped the value of all Street Fighter II pins.
Three cheers for malenko!!!
» YouTube video

I see many similar screen styles between SF2 and Tee'd Off. I wonder how long it would take to colorize my Tee'd Off.

#391 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I could probably get it done in about 20 hours.

Thanks Malenko
Too bad I won't have a car while I am in DC Saturday through Tuesday or I would drive up and have you teach me. If you would like to look at the editor file I have from the 8 or so dumps I have made, let me know how I can get it to you.

#399 6 years ago

Malenko
You are everywhere. I was looking into replacements for an arcade monitor and found you discussing it with my friend Greg. Small world.

1 week later
#412 6 years ago

Since many Gottlieb machines share a lot of features, would it be possible to make many different short videos about how different animations were colorized. SF2 has the "TORPEDO" ani which is very similar to the "GOPHER" and "SKINS" ani on my Tee'd Off. Unfortunately, I am finding the learning curve of the editor to be very steep and any help is appreciated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timboch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again?tu=timboch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.