(Topic ID: 188193)

Pin2DMD color release for Street Fighter II!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
7CD72FE5-3199-45CD-9AF2-99A292121FA3 (resized).jpeg
CA6C86A6-8E1D-4635-B0C3-81EAAB887B16 (resized).jpeg
85da50d69340e39338ae1f6c578abc4832b1869a (resized).jpg
20200222_105408 (resized).jpg
20200222_105631 (resized).jpg
20200222_105335 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
AA83C207-0525-4591-A03D-F95499424483 (resized).jpeg
3CAAB96B-BBC3-494A-9416-130891238456 (resized).jpeg
32085FD3-EDAA-4C94-AF6C-D554E625AFC5 (resized).jpeg
20190718_210007_1.gif
ginger (resized).jpg
sf2_multiball red (resized).jpg
sf2_guile_instru2 (resized).jpg
sf2 guile instrution1 (resized).jpg
There are 651 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 14.
#401 6 years ago

What's the best way about update the ROM set?

#402 6 years ago

If there's still demand i could initiate another groupbuy.
please send me an email to info@germangamingsupplies , subject SF.

Shipping worldwide at very reasonable shipping rates incl. tracking

#403 6 years ago

WOW that mario redraw looks freaking KILLER. It only mario wasnt so expensive....

#404 6 years ago

Anyone getting a random old animation (in black and white) from time to time?

Seems to happen to me once a game. Could it be that the files need to be re-installed on the micro SD card?

#405 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Anyone getting a random old animation (in black and white) from time to time?
Seems to happen to me once a game. Could it be that the files need to be re-installed on the micro SD card?

Most likely a missing keyframe which starts the animation. Needs to be added to the project.
Could also be a incompatibility to the ROM version used in the machine.

#406 6 years ago

So do a recording of the animation that isnt triggering for you and send it to malenko at gmail dot com I'll add the recording to my source and check the keyframes. very rarely I'll get E Honda in grey scale but Ive triggered that animation in every recording I have and it still happens on occasion.

#407 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

So do a recording of the animation that isnt triggering for you and send it to malenko at gmail dot com I'll add the recording to my source and check the keyframes. very rarely I'll get E Honda in grey scale but Ive triggered that animation in every recording I have and it still happens on occasion.

The odd part is that it doesn't happen every game and it isn't consistent. Sometimes it's E.Honda...other times it's Ryu/Blanka/Dhalsim.

The last recording I posted in this thread.....E.Honda was the first kill and it triggered the grey scale animation.

I'm not trying to complain or anything....it's something I can easily live with. I was just mostly wondering if this was only happening to me.

#408 6 years ago

Is there a race condition that is causing the frame to be drawn before the hash generation/check? Is it possible to debug this in real time?

#409 6 years ago

I'm getting grey Ryu and honda I think. Plus no "EXTRA BALL" but I'm sure thats my weird german roms.

#410 6 years ago

That is absolutely possible.

I have noticed that on different ROMs animations look slightly different. This causes the system to not trigger correctly.
If different dumpfiles are available to work with, the creator of the colorization can fix it.

That's also the point why for example Colordmd suggest to use the latest/actual ROM.
This is the same for pin2dmd, but with option to add things later.

#411 6 years ago

Got to play more tonight and all my animations worked except Blanka shocking the car was strange (and still no extra ball).
Just need to dig the burner out but, well, you know :/

#412 6 years ago

Since many Gottlieb machines share a lot of features, would it be possible to make many different short videos about how different animations were colorized. SF2 has the "TORPEDO" ani which is very similar to the "GOPHER" and "SKINS" ani on my Tee'd Off. Unfortunately, I am finding the learning curve of the editor to be very steep and any help is appreciated.

#413 6 years ago

How does one go about updating their ROM(s) if they don't have access to a burner?
Thanks!

#414 6 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

How does one go about updating their ROM(s) if they don't have access to a burner?
Thanks!

Im sure someone are selling street fighter 2 eproms with newest software online?

#415 6 years ago

Better question - How does one go about getting said highly guarded Gottlieb software if they do have an EPROM burner?

When I bought mine, my sound was one thing not working through 17 years of home use/no maintenance... After inspection, I saw some dummy installed one of the sound EPROMs upside down... Removing that got me half of my sound back, but the one that was upside down was, of course, totally shot. However, much like Pinball Resource is the only place to go for most Gottlieb parts, John's Jukes is the owner of all things Gottlieb software... That EPROM cost me $25 + $8 to ship it from Canada. (for reference, EPROMs are... oh... $2.50-ish)

#416 6 years ago

statictrance I could ship you my ROMs , then you could dump them for everyone and burn yourself a set.

Or would the ROMs you download for pinMAME work?

#419 6 years ago

So updating the ROMs will eliminate the grey scale animations?

#420 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

statictrance I could ship you my ROMs , then you could dump them for everyone and burn yourself a set.

What Rom version are you running? Does your setup ever miss a keyframe (grey scale)?

#421 6 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

What Rom version are you running? Does your setup ever miss a keyframe (grey scale)?

GPROM checksum is A094 but I have no idea if thats the rom version nothing is labeled on my boards. As for missing a keyframe:

Quoted from Malenko:

very rarely I'll get E Honda in grey scale but Ive triggered that animation in every recording I have and it still happens on occasion.

Im 99.9999% sure its the way gottlieb handles DMDs

#422 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Check what version you have on boot up and I'll check mine when I get home. We may already be running the same versions. I don't think it's listed on the chips (mine just say AROM1, PROM2, etc), but there might be a way to determine it, but I'm not sure offhand (not at home now). I believe my check sum is the same as yours. if memory serves.

With Gottlieb software only licensed to be available from one source - that's the huge problem. There's the obvious (pricing), but also I have no idea how that works with pinMAME and the roms they utilize. I would be surprised if they are like the originals. I do admit to haven't having touched PinMAME since like 2002, so I could be dead wrong.

Another problem with these Gottliebs is the version history is pretty poorly documented. Like, What versions were made, what is the latest, (are there any bugs in the latest a la Getaway 2 that's a known documented issue)... All of that knowledge is kind of a big black hole right now with them because of the way things are.

#423 6 years ago

Confirmed - my checksum is A094 as well. I wasn't able to dig into it any further last night though.

#424 6 years ago

A-094 here as well

1 week later
#425 6 years ago

Hey guys, I finally managed to fix my machine. Was waiting for some fuses to arrive and it was indeed the U8-G chip from the display board that had to be replaced.

So my game is fully working right now using the regular DMD. However I still cant get the color DMD to work.
I inserted the SD card, configured the color DMD to gottlieb v2 while not connecting to the pinball.
Turn off the game, disconnect the original display, hook up the ribbon to the color DMD. Turn the game back on.

I see the Pin2dmd, then it does show Gottlieb v2. However nothing happens on the DMD, i can play the game entirely and nothing happens on the display.

Any idea what could be the issue? thanks

IMG_8265 (resized).JPGIMG_8265 (resized).JPG

#426 6 years ago

Did you check the orientation of the ribbon cable ?

#427 6 years ago

psychopat what kind of car do you have in there? It looks like it would come with an interesting backstory.

#428 6 years ago
Quoted from ZeldaOoT:

psychopat what kind of car do you have in there? It looks like it would come with an interesting backstory.

It was like that when I bought it. I think the red one was missing or broken and they retro fitted something else. Would love to put a new one, saw the thread with the red sports car in there, looks terrific!

#429 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Did you check the orientation of the ribbon cable ?

Pretty sure it can only be plugged-in one way, since it has a tab on the connector. Is that it?

IMG_8275 (resized).JPGIMG_8275 (resized).JPG

#430 6 years ago

The red strand should direct to the opposite side...
It always indicates the pin1 on these cables, but here it is on pin14. If you turn the other end around, it might work.

#431 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

The red strand should direct to the opposite side...
It always indicates the pin1 on these cables, but here it is on pin14. If you turn the other end around, it might work.

This would require to "shave off" the tab that is on the connector. Is that right? everyone had to do this? I am unable to flip the connector otherwise.

If I try to invert it on the board, the connector also has that tab and doesnt insert properly the other way (goes in but not all the way)

tab (resized).PNGtab (resized).PNG

#432 6 years ago

You should only be able to plug it in one way. Don't shave the tab.....

#433 6 years ago

Could you provide a picture of the other end of your cable and the connector of your display driver board?

#434 6 years ago

If you wait till I get home I can snap pix.

If you dont want to wait, flip the cable that goes into pin since you cant flip the cable going into the Pin2DMD

#435 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Could you provide a picture of the other end of your cable and the connector of your display driver board?

here's the pictures, the way it is on my display board right now is how its working with the original DMD. Did any one else has to flip the cable at the board from the original DMD setup?

IMG_8278 (resized).JPGIMG_8278 (resized).JPG

IMG_8277 (resized).JPGIMG_8277 (resized).JPG

IMG_8279 (resized).JPGIMG_8279 (resized).JPG

#436 6 years ago

Both sides seem to be inverted, so should be O.K.
What is the status of the LEDs on the discovery board when the machine is on . Could you make a video or pictures

#437 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Both sides seem to be inverted, so should be O.K.
What is the status of the LEDs on the discovery board when the machine is on . Could you make a video or pictures

here's 2 videos, all the machine boards and also the boards at the back of the color display

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06np3gvlo6idxjp/IMG_8312.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl543u2q3wwx2pl/IMG_8313.MOV?dl=0

#438 6 years ago

The CLK signal seems to be missing. Maybe the Jumper beneath the discovery board isn´t set correctly.
Should be on 2-3 . Please also make a picture when the board is removed. You can just pull it off gently.
No tools needed

#439 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

The CLK signal seems to be missing. Maybe the Jumper beneath the discovery board isn´t set correctly.
Should be on 2-3 . Please also make a picture when the board is removed.

It appears like its already set to jumper 2-3. Here's some pictures

IMG_8314 (resized).JPGIMG_8314 (resized).JPG

IMG_8315 (resized).JPGIMG_8315 (resized).JPG

#440 6 years ago

Could you please test if it works with jumper on 1-2. This bypasses the LS123

#441 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Could you please test if it works with jumper on 1-2. This bypasses the LS123

The game now loads and the display shows something, however the colors are off. See the video here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccevdhkia5egzhy/IMG_8318.MOV?dl=0

Any idea what could be the problems? feels like im getting closer at least.

#442 6 years ago

Seems like it's not using the palettes provided by malenko.

The files in this post will help you:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again#post-3749469

Copy both pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq to your micro-sd card. These 2 files do the "magic"!

#443 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Seems like it's not using the palettes provided by malenko.
The files in this post will help you:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again#post-3749469
Copy both pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq to your micro-sd card. These 2 files do the "magic"!

I did all that, unfortunately its not the problem. The colors are still off.

Here's the download from Malenko Google Drive.
sources (resized).PNGsources (resized).PNG

From the source files folder, I copied both the pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq in the root of the sdcard.
files (resized).PNGfiles (resized).PNG

This is how my sd card file structure looks like.
folder (resized).PNGfolder (resized).PNG

#444 6 years ago
Quoted from psychopat:

It was like that when I bought it. I think the red one was missing or broken and they retro fitted something else. Would love to put a new one, saw the thread with the red sports car in there, looks terrific!

Gunmetal gray 4-door luxury sedan is the way to go

#445 6 years ago

Try the 2 files from "real pinball" you dont need the rest.

#446 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Try the 2 files from "real pinball" you dont need the rest.

Just tried that, the colors are still looking exactly the same as the video.

#447 6 years ago

What version of the firmware are you running?

#448 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

What version of the firmware are you running?

whatever was on it, how can I find out?

#449 6 years ago
Quoted from psychopat:

The game now loads and the display shows something, however the colors are off. See the video here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccevdhkia5egzhy/IMG_8318.MOV?dl=0
Any idea what could be the problems? feels like im getting closer at least.

O.K. So it either seem to be a problem with your LS123 circuit or a false setting.
Please put the jumper back to 2-3 and go into the onscreen menu by holding the menu button during power up.
Then navigate to enhancer setting and try both on and off with saving the settings.
Version is shown on the boot splash and should be 2.41 or up.

#450 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

O.K. So it either seem to be a problem with your LS123 circuit or a false setting.
Please put the jumper back to 2-3 and go into the onscreen menu by holding the menu button during power up.
Then navigate to enhancer setting and try both on and off with saving the settings.
Version is shown on the boot splash and should be 2.41 or up.

ok thanks, I put the jumper back to 2-3. Then I tried both with the enhancer setting on and off (saving and restarting the game etc.) It still only shows the Gottlieb V2 screen at all times.
screen (resized).JPGscreen (resized).JPG

Yes my firmware is V2.41. Everything works perfectly when using the original DMD, so I am really not sure what can be the problem here.
firmware (resized).JPGfirmware (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 651 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again/page/9?hl=smitherssp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.