(Topic ID: 188193)

Pin2DMD color release for Street Fighter II!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
7CD72FE5-3199-45CD-9AF2-99A292121FA3 (resized).jpeg
CA6C86A6-8E1D-4635-B0C3-81EAAB887B16 (resized).jpeg
85da50d69340e39338ae1f6c578abc4832b1869a (resized).jpg
20200222_105408 (resized).jpg
20200222_105631 (resized).jpg
20200222_105335 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
AA83C207-0525-4591-A03D-F95499424483 (resized).jpeg
3CAAB96B-BBC3-494A-9416-130891238456 (resized).jpeg
32085FD3-EDAA-4C94-AF6C-D554E625AFC5 (resized).jpeg
20190718_210007_1.gif
ginger (resized).jpg
sf2_multiball red (resized).jpg
sf2_guile_instru2 (resized).jpg
sf2 guile instrution1 (resized).jpg
There are 651 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 14.
#301 6 years ago

Im with smithers. You could tie the ground off in the head but in my opinion its better to tie it off to the power supply ground (GND not FG)

#302 6 years ago

Power supply is wired and plugged in. Putting out a little over 12V. Getting excited as I think it should arrive today.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#303 6 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

Power supply is wired and plugged in. Putting out a little over 12V. Getting excited as I think it should arrive today.

I'm in the same boat. Arrived in the city yesterday, but yet still not out for delivery.... Can't wait to get rid of the ColorDMD Sigma and get a display that actually works on a Gottlieb

screenshot.269 (resized).jpgscreenshot.269 (resized).jpg

#304 6 years ago

welp...guess all I had to do was post about it and BAM is shows up.

But the arcylic frame is pretty shattered BUGGER . I'll see what I can do before reaching out to rappelbox

screenshot.270 (resized).jpgscreenshot.270 (resized).jpg
screenshot.271 (resized).jpgscreenshot.271 (resized).jpg
screenshot.272 (resized).jpgscreenshot.272 (resized).jpg

screenshot.273 (resized).jpgscreenshot.273 (resized).jpg

#305 6 years ago

I'd check to see if the packages were insured. If so file a claim with the post service and use those pics. Hopefully you can get an entire replacement panel out of the deal. That really sucks. Do you think you can epoxy it back together to make it semi functional until a replacement frame can arrive?

#306 6 years ago

too many small pieces/slivers to really glue back together. I think I'll be okay though. Gonna use some spare acrylic I have on hand and just router and drill one out

#307 6 years ago

That parcel looks like it was handled by United Airlines baggage handlers. :S

I'm nervous about mine arriving

#308 6 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Gonna use some spare acrylic I have on hand and just router and drill one out

Well I'm impressed!

#309 6 years ago

New acrylic frame made (material I had was too thick, but a little belt sanding and viola), and smoke test complete Will get some good quality time on it this weekend to finish the install up and start grabbing some captures.

screenshot.175 (resized).jpgscreenshot.175 (resized).jpg

screenshot.177 (resized).jpgscreenshot.177 (resized).jpg

screenshot.176 (resized).jpgscreenshot.176 (resized).jpg

screenshot.178 (resized).jpgscreenshot.178 (resized).jpg

#310 6 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

New acrylic frame made (material I had was too thick, but a little belt sanding and viola), and smoke test complete Will get some good quality time on it this weekend to finish the install up and start grabbing some captures.

Recording Mario Bros for me?

#311 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Recording Mario Bros for me?

You betcha!! Gonna be a bit of a learning curve for me, but its gonna be fun

#312 6 years ago

It arrived this afternoon. Though I didn't have the little box on top that you received. What was in it? Is it something I was supposed to get also? All that was in the box was the DMD and a small bag with what looks like an SD card adapter and 2 wire clips. Oh and enough foam peanuts to keep mine safe. I see the power and ground wires have male connectors on them. I will need to find some wire and attach female connectors that I could then connect to the power supply. Any idea what gage wire I would need to use?
I won't get to do any more until I come back from my trip on Monday, so I guess I'll be reading up on the installation while I am gone. Sure am anxious to get it running to start colorizing Tee'd Off.

Thanks again for all the help.

Tim

#313 6 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

I'm in the same boat. Arrived in the city yesterday, but yet still not out for delivery.... Can't wait to get rid of the ColorDMD Sigma and get a display that actually works on a Gottlieb

What kind of power supply are you using?

#314 6 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

It arrived this afternoon. Though I didn't have the little box on top that you received. What was in it? Is it something I was supposed to get also?

That little box was just something i had layin around to cover the address label

#315 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

What kind of power supply are you using?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005T7EZM8/ref=yo_ii_img

MEAN WELL RD-65A RD-65 Series 65 W Dual Output 5 / 12 V AC/DC Switching Power Supply

#316 6 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Can't wait to get rid of the ColorDMD Sigma and get a display that actually works on a Gottlieb

PM sent.

#317 6 years ago

Still waiting on Canada post....

o5oLImoQgGsKY.gifo5oLImoQgGsKY.gif

#318 6 years ago

The LED panels in these and the latest pinballsp products seem to be showing quite significantly reduced bleed (or bloom - whatever you want to call it).

Could just be the cameras, but they look significantly better to my eye than photos and video of earlier models, and ColorDMD's LEDs.

Re: SF2 - all you need now is PinSound compatibility, and suddenly it's a very collectible machine IMO.

#319 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Still waiting on Canada post....

so that slow thinking thing is TRUE!

#320 6 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

so that slow thinking thing is TRUE!

Maybe my mailman got a flat tire??

flat-tire-in-canada.jpgflat-tire-in-canada.jpg

#321 6 years ago

Well it wasn't a flasher fuse it was a diode. So if anyone knows the strength of the backbox fisher diode, let me know
Tried powering it from the old dmd harness (12v) and it doesn't want to light up. I don't think it's getting enough voltage so I'll have to try the outside power supply option until I fix my flashers

#322 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Well it wasn't a flasher fuse it was a diode. So if anyone knows the strength of the backbox fisher diode, let me know
Tried powering it from the old dmd harness (12v) and it doesn't want to light up. I don't think it's getting enough voltage so I'll have to try the outside power supply option until I fix my flashers

And that's why I'm hesitant to grab the power through the flashers.

Once my pin2dmd arrives I'll be getting a power supply at my local electronics shop. I can't chance it

#323 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Dude that made the YouTube install video said not to use that line as the voltage drop was too big. Use the 20v flasher line or a stand alone power supply. I measured the wattage and it never exceeded 5W. These panels draw virtually nothing.

#324 6 years ago

I'm stuck on the PSU method until I fix my flashers now then :/ Hasn't been my week!
I did manage to get 12 at the power supply for the DMD and all the power lights lit up but no screen still.

#325 6 years ago

you have to set it to gottlieb mode with the software.

#326 6 years ago

Managed to set it to Gottlieb 2 and she's running fine. I'm getting a few weird images/missing pieces but I still have foreign roms I think.
Then, I discovered someone broke off something in the switching outlet and my power unit fried so I'll be ordering a new one now

#327 6 years ago

For SMB Gottlieb 1 is the right setting

#328 6 years ago

Woohoo! My DMD arrived! Canada now officially has it. Can't wait to install

1502749197281551601235 (resized).jpg1502749197281551601235 (resized).jpg

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I didnt use best practices and the white is the ground, it splices into the black wire from the pin2DMD it'll get replaced eventually.
The power cord for the arcade power supply is just a PC power cord with the end lopped off.
Green is the Earth Ground
Black is the hot
White is the neutral
If you happen to cut a power cord and it has international coloring for the wires (like mine)
Green w Yellow Stripe is ground
Brown is hot
Blue is neutral.

Hello Malenko,
I hope to finally get my DMD powered up today. The power and ground wires are too short to make it to my power supply, so I thought I would just get some wire and put a female end to connect to the male end of the DMD wires. The DMD power and ground wires seem to be of a heavier gage than most of the other wiring in the machine, but the wires you show hooked to your power supply don't look much different than normal arcade wiring. I don't want to burn out my new DMD by using something that is incorrect. So I am looking for help about what kind of wire you used to connect the DMD to your power supply.

Thanks for all the help you have given.

Tim

#330 6 years ago

I believe I used 16 gauge , just dont use something crummy like speaker wire and you should be fine. Its drawing less than 1 amp.

#331 6 years ago

ch890310.gifch890310.gif

#332 6 years ago

I received mine today too! Just waiting for someone to share clear instructions on how to install it. It didnt came with any guide or anything. I see the wire tap-on connectors, but where to we tap them into and what else needs to be done? Hope someone can shed some light soon, excited to get it installed.

Thanks

dmd (resized).jpgdmd (resized).jpg

#333 6 years ago

Eureka!!!!

IMG_20170815_1600312.jpgIMG_20170815_1600312.jpg

#334 6 years ago

Got it all wired up and installed. The youtube video was a bit different than what I needed to do to make my basic settings for a Gottlieb Tee'd Off, but finally figure out how to get into the Config Menu and set it to my version. It is a nice bright white now. There are some "psychedelic" colorings in the animantions, but this is showing a lot of promise and I look forward to working and helping in any way to colorize. I was trying to figure out where to attach the mini USB to the DMD but my cord doesn't fit any way I try. Is there a different version of mini USB this needs to connect. Sure would like to get a dump of the files to get things going for everyone.

Thanks again for all the help and patience.

Tim

#335 6 years ago

I'm going to need to lengthen the red and black wires from the DMD so they can reach my power source.

Any recommendations or suggestions on what to get/use to get that done?

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I'm going to need to lengthen the red and black wires from the DMD so they can reach my power source.
Any recommendations or suggestions on what to get/use to get that done?

I stopped by my local Ace Hardware and got 8 feet of red and 8 feet of black 16 gauge wire. Put a male end on one end and a U connector on the other. Seems to be working just fine.

#337 6 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

I stopped by my local Ace Hardware and got 8 feet of red and 8 feet of black 16 gauge wire. Put a male end on one end and a U connector on the other. Seems to be working just fine.

Much appreciated!

#338 6 years ago
Quoted from psychopat:

Just waiting for someone to share clear instructions on how to install it.

Did you watch the YouTube video I posted earlier?

#339 6 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

Got it all wired up and installed. The youtube video was a bit different than what I needed to do to make my basic settings for a Gottlieb Tee'd Off, but finally figure out how to get into the Config Menu and set it to my version. It is a nice bright white now. There are some "psychedelic" colorings in the animantions, but this is showing a lot of promise and I look forward to working and helping in any way to colorize. I was trying to figure out where to attach the mini USB to the DMD but my cord doesn't fit any way I try. Is there a different version of mini USB this needs to connect. Sure would like to get a dump of the files to get things going for everyone.

Thanks again for all the help and patience.
Tim

You need to connect to the micro USB to get a dump. Mini USB is only for firmware upgrade.
Could you upload a video in landscape and with higher resolution ?

#340 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

You need to connect to the micro USB to get a dump. Mini USB is only for firmware upgrade.
Could you upload a video in landscape and with higher resolution ?

Pardon my ignorance and possibly incorrect terminology. Basically I need to know what kind of USB cord is needed to connect and where does it connect to. Pictures would be very helpful for me to better understand as I am eager to create the dump file to assist in colorizing.

Thanks again for the help.

IMG_0022 (resized).PNGIMG_0022 (resized).PNG

7CC05E99-CB2A-4EB7-A505-CF439DAEF93A-1562-0000032780F02987 (resized).jpeg7CC05E99-CB2A-4EB7-A505-CF439DAEF93A-1562-0000032780F02987 (resized).jpeg

#341 6 years ago

Micro USB here:
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#342 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Micro USB here:

Found that this morning. Didn't even see it yesterday. Kept trying to fit the round peg in the square hole.

Thanks for the verification as I also found a mini USB cable that would have fit into the square hole and who knows what might have happened.

The version of pin2dmd.exe is a little different than the documentation. I am assuming that the Create Dump checkbox remains red until the dump is completed. Mine has been making a dump for about 20 minutes and is about 90mb so far. How big is a dump file and how long do they usually take to make?

Thnaks again for all help.

pin2dmd dump (resized).jpgpin2dmd dump (resized).jpg

#343 6 years ago

one you GZ compresses the dump its 1/10th the size. it'll keep recording as long as that check mark is checked. it stops when you uncheck it.

Mini USB is used for updating the firmware.

#344 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

one you GZ compresses the dump its 1/10th the size. it'll keep recording as long as that check mark is checked. it stops when you uncheck it.
Mini USB is used for updating the firmware.

So there is no indication when the dump is done? Mine is up to about 300mb after an hour. I guess I am trying to make sure I gather the data that is needed and don't want it to be incomplete.

#345 6 years ago

all the dump is doing is recording all the frames that play on the DMD. Its not dumping rom info from the machine or anything. You can always add more recording to a project file if you missed something. If you look at my SF files, there's multiple recordings.
Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#346 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

all the dump is doing is recording all the frames that play on the DMD. Its not dumping rom info from the machine or anything. You can always add more recording to a project file if you missed something. If you look at my SF files, there's multiple recordings.

So I should play some games to get different scenes recorded. That helps a lot as my 400mb file showed very little since it was just recording the intro screens. Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I want to make sure I get what would be needed.

Thanks again.

#347 6 years ago

the idea is to record the "attract mode" then record game play showing all the animations. You can go back and add additional recordings if you missed any scenes. You can always record more.

#348 6 years ago

Just to confirm....because....I'm an idiot

1- install dmd in place
2 - run red and black wires from dmd into the Lower cabinet under the playfield
3 - solder together female connectors to the additonal 16 gage red and black wire. (To reach power source)
4 - solder together U connectors to the additional 16 gage red and black wire ( so it can be soldered to power source)
5 - connect females with dmd's corresponding black and red wire
6 - solder U connectors to power source (red) and to ground (black)
7 - solder outlet cable to power source
8- plug in and play

The only question(s) I have is....

Does this power source looks right? (PSF100-12 model)
And where do I solder the red wire (dmd power) and black (ground) into the power source? (V, V+ or the other one)

Thanks so much and hopefully I'm done pestering everyone after the installation

IMG_20170816_1223443.jpgIMG_20170816_1223443.jpg

IMG_20170816_1226052.jpgIMG_20170816_1226052.jpg

IMG_20170816_1224484.jpgIMG_20170816_1224484.jpg

IMG_20170816_1223561.jpgIMG_20170816_1223561.jpg

#349 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Just to confirm....because....I'm an idiot

3 prong plug to power supply :
black to AC-L
white to AC-N
green to ground (between AC and the -V)

pi2dmd:
black wire of pin2dmd to -V
red wire of pin2dmd to +V

No soldering needed, you cut the tabs off and just crimp a QC aka a spade terminal. You wouldn't solder anything to the power supply, they are screw terminals.

#350 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

3 prong plug to power supply :
black to AC-L
white to AC-N
green to ground (between AC and the -V)
pi2dmd:
black wire of pin2dmd to -V
red wire of pin2dmd to +V
No soldering needed, you cut the tabs off and just crimp a QC aka a spade terminal. You wouldn't solder anything to the power supply, they are screw terminals.

You da man @malenko!! Thanks so much for everything!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 651 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again/page/7?hl=smitherssp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.