(Topic ID: 188193)

Pin2DMD color release for Street Fighter II!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
7CD72FE5-3199-45CD-9AF2-99A292121FA3 (resized).jpeg
CA6C86A6-8E1D-4635-B0C3-81EAAB887B16 (resized).jpeg
85da50d69340e39338ae1f6c578abc4832b1869a (resized).jpg
20200222_105408 (resized).jpg
20200222_105631 (resized).jpg
20200222_105335 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
AA83C207-0525-4591-A03D-F95499424483 (resized).jpeg
3CAAB96B-BBC3-494A-9416-130891238456 (resized).jpeg
32085FD3-EDAA-4C94-AF6C-D554E625AFC5 (resized).jpeg
20190718_210007_1.gif
ginger (resized).jpg
sf2_multiball red (resized).jpg
sf2_guile_instru2 (resized).jpg
sf2 guile instrution1 (resized).jpg
There are 651 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.
#151 6 years ago

The same panel/setup as Malenko the OP. The only thing else you need is a tiny micro SD card ($6 off amazon) and the firmware from lucky1 which I believe carries a $10 license fee. Tap in power (which is easy to find on a gotlieb) and the ribbon cable from the DMD board, drop SF2 files from Malenko's google share onto the SD card, good to go.
Here's a YT video I found:

Here's an installation guide:
http://pin2dmd.com/installation/

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I published the firmware with the fixes needed to make it work properly on the pin2dmd github repository.
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/
Thanks for this project malenko . This is officially the very first DMD colorization for a Gottlieb pinball.
Thanks for finding the bugs and testing.

just confirming this still doesn't work with virtual dmd on monitors right?

Great job btw

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

Group Buy Update: 6 people confirmed. Paypal payment is due to rappelbox no later than July 12th. He will ship on July 14th directly to you.
Cost: $180 + $20 Shipping
PP address: [email protected]
Cheers!

ugh....need to get my funds in order asap.

#154 6 years ago

I sent Rappelbox a PM 2 days ago.....just waiting to hear back from him before sending my payment.

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I sent rappelbox a PM 2 days ago.....just waiting to hear back from him before sending my payment.

PM'd you

#156 6 years ago

Rappelbox wrote in the german forum that he was in hospital and needs some time to fully recover. So maybe you need to have a little patience.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Rappelbox wrote in the german forum that he was in hospital and needs some time to fully recover. So maybe you need to have a little patience.

Basically this. I PM'd ImNotNorm with this info as I wasn't trying to broadcast Rappel's personal situation.
The terms remain the same though; Payment by the 12th, shipping on the 14th

#158 6 years ago

I'm back on track!!!

Still not with the speed i prefer, but anyways better than staying in hospital.
I think that i can hold my schedule, but please don't be angry with me if it might take 2-3 days longer to ship...

To answer some concerns about which colorization might be better @malenkos or @taxmans:
There's no "better" or "uglier" it's all about personal taste.
If malenko publishes T2 the same as SFii you might be able to change some things to you personal likings
But that requires you to learn a bit about pin2dmd-editor by steve45 !
https://bintray.com/sker65/pin2dmd/Editor2#files

Another question is saw was about the visible gap between the two panels:
It's only due to missalignment, my sets have screws on their back to fine-tune the alignment of both panels.
It is sometimes caused by bad habbits of the shipping companies, throwing parcels right through a van to save some time.

When my cftbl is working again (blown rectifier), i can put up a installation tutorial, but like malenko already stated in his video it's fairly simple

Greets and happy gaming
Dom

#159 6 years ago

Great work @ OP.

Of other Gottlieb games, I think Stargate would benefit most from a similar project.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

I'm back on track!!!
If malenko publishes T2 the same as SFii......
Dom

I will be publishing the T2 content as well. ColorDMD handles the video mode better but that can change when lucky figures out a way to do it.

#161 6 years ago

Attention group buy folks: Would anyone be interested in delaying shipment for a few days so that Rappelbox can unlock/register our panels prior to shipment? This would mean that the units would be ready to roll upon arrival instead of having to wait for the unlock process to complete. Thoughts?

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

Attention group buy folks

Haven't sent my money yet, but yes that sounds like a great idea!

edit: Money sent

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

Attention group buy folks: Would anyone be interested in delaying shipment for a few days so that rappelbox can unlock/register our panels prior to shipment? This would mean that the units would be ready to roll upon arrival instead of having to wait for the unlock process to complete. Thoughts?

Wait even longer and maybe I can get in on this. Yall made this happen REALLY fast.

#164 6 years ago

To be precise about that registration/unlocking thing:
I can not make that donation for you!
But once you ordered your set
1. I would send you your personal serial number
2. you donate to lucky1 containing that particular serial and once you receive your unlocking key
3. send that to me.
4. I would then unlock it so that you only have to install the dmd in your pinballs.

#165 6 years ago

Thanks for the clarification! I've made the executive decision to follow this path. This will reduce complexity and furthermore I damn well know that each and every one of us want to play with our new toy immediately vs waiting for the process to complete post-delivery.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

Thanks for the clarification! I've made the executive decision to follow this path. This will reduce complexity and furthermore I damn well know that each and every one of us want to play with our new toy immediately vs waiting for the process to complete post-delivery.

I agree with @Smitherssp. I don't mind waiting an extra day or two.

edit: money sent $$

#167 6 years ago

Here is a video of Malenko´s work on my vpin

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Here is a video of Malenko´s work on my vpin
» YouTube video

I'm so excited for this!! Thanks to Malenko and everyone involved!!

I hope people who plan on using this donate some coin to Malenko for all his hard work!!

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I hope people who plan on using this donate some coin to malenko for all his hard work!!

I appreciate any money people send my way, but I have to stress its 100% optional. If you want to send money http://paypal.me/Malenk0

It was a fun learning experience and because of how much I learned with SF2 , I have Terminator 2 almost completely done in just under 3 weeks (about 30 hours, SF2 took about 190 hours :/ )

T2 files will be released the same way. I would really love it if you took pictures of it running on your machine/vpin!

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I appreciate any money people send my way, but I have to stress its 100% optional. If you want to send money http://paypal.me/Malenk0
It was a fun learning experience and because of how much I learned with SF2 , I have Terminator 2 almost completely done in just under 3 weeks (about 30 hours, SF2 took about 190 hours :/ )
T2 files will be released the same way. I would really love it if you took pictures of it running on your machine/vpin!

So..after T2, how much would you need to do X-Files?

#171 6 years ago

Arg I missed the group buy :/

#172 6 years ago

You can still chime in

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

So..after T2, how much would you need to do X-Files?

I think Baywatch is next after I finish the project for ColorDMD (if the change I want to make to the contract is approved)

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Arg I missed the group buy :/

Group buy closes on the 12th. That is when everyone needs to have payment to @rappelbox. We are pushing the shipping date back to the 19th as this will allow Rappel to send us what is needed to unlock the devices prior to shipment. If you want a panel please PM Rappel directly.

#175 6 years ago

Hi Malenko, thanks for this awesome piece of work. I've taken my PIN2DMD display out of my virtual pinball and put it into my real SFII and it runs beautifully. I believe that you asked for feedback so after playing many games the only difference I can see on a real pin compared to vpinball is that detection of the Vega and Blanka animation colour key frames is sometimes missed leading to those sequences being shown in black and white. I've tried to reproduce this but unfortunately its pretty random. There's a also corruption on the Blanka car shock animation from the normal upper left lane shot. I've tried opening the files from your repository in the latest Editor but for some reason my PC simply throws up an error all the time so I can't try to help by tweaking. Hope this helps and thank you again!

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from Mace:

Hi Malenko, thanks for this awesome piece of work. I've taken my PIN2DMD display out of my virtual pinball and put it into my real SFII and it runs beautifully. I believe that you asked for feedback so after playing many games the only difference I can see on a real pin compared to vpinball is that detection of the Vega and Blanka animation colour key frames is sometimes missed leading to those sequences being shown in black and white. I've tried to reproduce this but unfortunately its pretty random. There's a also corruption on the Blanka car shock animation from the normal upper left lane shot. I've tried opening the files from your repository in the latest Editor but for some reason my PC simply throws up an error all the time so I can't try to help by tweaking. Hope this helps and thank you again!

You may have to remove the file path of the recordings in the xml file of the project

#177 6 years ago

can you take pictures or a video? Screen shot of the error would be good too. The Blanka shot to light the car minigame is just a palette jump, so Blanka looks red. I thought about masking the sequence but its soooooooo low res (Blanka is like 10 pixels wide and 11 pixels tall).

I have issues with the Sagat animation sometimes playing more than once, but thats an issue with the way Gottlieb does the frames on the DMD and it doesnt happen that often and I didnt think it'd be worth fixing. Ive never had the animations play in black and white though.

Quoted from lucky1:

You may have to remove the file path of the recordings in the xml file of the project

I edited the XML to remove pathing, he probably has a JAVA error

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

You can still chime in

Pm sent!!

#179 6 years ago

ACTUNG! Today is that last day for the group buy. Please PM Rappelbox or Paypal him $200 to [email protected] if you want a panel. He plans to ship around the 19th assuming each buyer quickly participates in the unlock process.
Cheers!
Smithers

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

ACTUNG! Today is that last day for the group buy. Please PM rappelbox or Paypal him $200 to [email protected] if you want a panel. He plans to ship around the 19th assuming each buyer quickly participates in the unlock process.
Cheers!
Smithers

I cant do it. Im too broke. Freakin sucks. Maybe there will be another opportunity.

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I cant do it. Im too broke. Freakin sucks. Maybe there will be another opportunity.

Don't worry!

There maybe will be another groupbuy, but whenever you have the funds take a look into my pinside shop

#182 6 years ago

And the files arent going anywhere, so you're not on any kind of time limit.
I love that SFII is getting this much attention, but kinda sad no one seems to care about T2 :/
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-terminator-2

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I love that SFII is getting this much attention, but kinda sad no one seems to care about T2 :/

I'm sure people will notice

I have some european customers that can't wait until you finsih it... none of them are pinsiders.
And they all said they will honor your work!!!

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

SF2 was just such a transformation man, you really did a bang up job.

T2 is already done. Not as much hype on a title already done. Plus, T2 is probably up there as one of the most modded pins ever, so people dont get as worked up over new stuff. Dont take it personally.

JP now...THAT would be the real hype. A lot of people looking for that to be colored.

#185 6 years ago

welp Lucky1 needs to add support for colorizations on Baywatch so maybe Jurassic Park can be next?

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

He plans to ship around the 19th assuming each buyer quickly participates in the unlock process.
Cheers!
Smithers

I'm just waiting for the go ahead.....

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

welp Lucky1 needs to add support for colorizations on Baywatch so maybe Jurassic Park can be next?

The editor is already prepared for 192x64 and 128x16 So you can continue your work without interruption. Do you have a pin2dmdXL already ?

#188 6 years ago

I dont have one, but a friend bought one and will supply the recording and do the testing for Baywatch.

#189 6 years ago

JP has an Color DMD rom I think. Now get one for Waterworld and we'll talk

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

JP has an Color DMD rom I think. Now get one for Waterworld and we'll talk

No it does not.

Waterworld is fun...not much to those animations though.

#191 6 years ago

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but I have access to a Baywatch and Jurassic Park, both with DMD Extender color displays. Does anyone know if DMD Extender by Dr. Pinball supports color files created by the PIN2DMD editor?

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

No it does not.
Waterworld is fun...not much to those animations though.

Vintage Flipper World has one but it might be a Pin DMD creation or something.
Waterworld is fun but those animations are UGLY, especially in the red. Could use an entire revamp.

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but I have access to a Baywatch and Jurassic Park, both with DMD Extender color displays. Does anyone know if DMD Extender by Dr. Pinball supports color files created by the PIN2DMD editor?

It does not. DMD Extender in no way allows colorization beyond the standard 4 color palette swap. The hardware is certainly capable (i.e. powerful enough for frame by frame colorization) but ColorDMD shut down Dr. Pinball when he was starting to implement this.

#194 6 years ago

I'm detecting a pattern with ColorDMD...

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You could convert it to a smartdmd by exchanging the software on the Raspi and use it for pinball browser colorized Stern machines.

#196 6 years ago

put this in and you just double the games value, as the price of this display and the game are valued about the same. Display is more valuable tho.

#197 6 years ago

Neo your correct Melenko made it worth millions!

#198 6 years ago

it wouldn't be worth millions even if it was in Yen.

#199 6 years ago

Rappelbox
I sent you a PM buddy, hoping it's not too late to order from you!

Thanks!

Malenko
Your work is amazing!

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

To be precise about that registration/unlocking thing:
I can not make that donation for you!
But once you ordered your set
1. I would send you your personal serial number
2. you donate to lucky1 containing that particular serial and once you receive your unlocking key
3. send that to me.
4. I would then unlock it so that you only have to install the dmd in your pinballs.

For those of us who made payment, is there any update on getting our personal serial number so we can send it to @lucky1?

Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 651 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again/page/4?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.