(Topic ID: 188193)

Pin2DMD color release for Street Fighter II!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 649 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by lucky1
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
7CD72FE5-3199-45CD-9AF2-99A292121FA3 (resized).jpeg
CA6C86A6-8E1D-4635-B0C3-81EAAB887B16 (resized).jpeg
85da50d69340e39338ae1f6c578abc4832b1869a (resized).jpg
20200222_105408 (resized).jpg
20200222_105631 (resized).jpg
20200222_105335 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
AA83C207-0525-4591-A03D-F95499424483 (resized).jpeg
3CAAB96B-BBC3-494A-9416-130891238456 (resized).jpeg
32085FD3-EDAA-4C94-AF6C-D554E625AFC5 (resized).jpeg
20190718_210007_1.gif
ginger (resized).jpg
sf2_multiball red (resized).jpg
sf2_guile_instru2 (resized).jpg
sf2 guile instrution1 (resized).jpg

There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
#51 6 years ago

Everything you are doing for this game is impressive!

#52 6 years ago

Keeps getting better and better! Looking so great.

#53 6 years ago

Oh my goodness. That's impressive!! Great work!!

#54 6 years ago

Ok, somebody start working on a bad ass translite replacement! Great work!

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Sence:

Ok, somebody start working on a bad ass translite replacement! Great work!

Already been done by OP

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

#56 6 years ago

This one would also work well

Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg

#57 6 years ago

RetroRefurbs sell this street-fighter-pinball-snes-alternative-translite-flipper-alt (resized).jpgstreet-fighter-pinball-snes-alternative-translite-flipper-alt (resized).jpg
http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/street-fighter-ii-snes-edition-pinball-translite/

#58 6 years ago

Yep...another Malenko creation regarding the alternate translite. He's single handedly changing the SF2 experience one step at a time. Ask him about his alternate cabinet artwork.

#59 6 years ago

Yeah I made that alt translite, stpcore did the print and can do one for you if you PM him

So I start out with the Claw swipe animation when you land vega's shot when the ramps up but he isn't lit as a fighter:
claw-original.gifclaw-original.gif

I start by capturing the lead frame by itself:
rawclaw.JPGrawclaw.JPG

Then I redrew the claw (based on Alpha 3 sprites)
newclaw.JPGnewclaw.JPG

Recolored my redraw to take advantage of 15 colors+black
Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

Then animate:
claw-redo.gifclaw-redo.gif

I might add "blood lines" to transition into the reveal animation. The reveal animation cant be redrawn, just recolored, and I'll tackle that tomorrow then finish up the "you have defeated" animations.

#60 6 years ago

Looks sweet! I bet your guy is cheaper than retro refurbs too.

#61 6 years ago

Oh man those Vega claws are killer!

#62 6 years ago

Is this something that will be available for sale/download to others at some point? This is turning out extremely well.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from ZeldaOoT:

Is this something that will be available for sale/download to others at some point? This is turning out extremely well.

I honestly dont know what Im going to do with them. I am a bit of a perfectionist, so even after all the hard work is done Im going to go back through and tweak everything. If Randy of ColorDMD hires me to do the SF colorization for their platform these probably wont get a public release. If he doesnt then I'll likely release them and ask people to donate for my time, donation optional.

Im getting close to the 90 hour mark, but a good chuck of that was growing pains learning the tools.

TORPEDO and GUILE scenes will be done today, but for now, heres the Vega Bonus reveal scene, its masked so that no matter what bonus comes up, it will be correctly colored.
reveal.gifreveal.gif

Car smash scene is done as well.
carcrunch.gifcarcrunch.gif

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I honestly dont know what Im going to do with them. I am a bit of a perfectionist, so even after all the hard work is done Im going to go back through and tweak everything. If Randy of ColorDMD hires me to do the SF colorization for their platform these probably wont get a public release. If he doesnt then I'll likely release them and ask people to donate for my time, donation optional.
Im getting close to the 90 hour mark, but a good chuck of that was growing pains learning the tools.
TORPEDO and GUILE scenes will be done today, but for now, heres the Vega Bonus reveal scene, its masked so that no matter what bonus comes up, it will be correctly colored.

Car smash scene is done as well.

more than happy to donate when the time comes! Your redrawing of the sprites is way more impressive than the default animations being colored!

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

more than happy to donate when the time comes! Your redrawing of the sprites is way more impressive than the default animations being colored!

I second this- keep us posted. Love the progress. This game gets a lot of unwarranted hate but for fans this is really exciting.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Me too! Norway supports this!

#67 6 years ago

You get some money from me if this gets a release.............Joey

#68 6 years ago

That is amazing work!! I would throw some dough at you as well ...I get my SF2 machine next week

*typo

#69 6 years ago

I got 5 on it!

#70 6 years ago

I'd be happy to throw some in as well.

#71 6 years ago

And heres a good example why I was redrawing everything, this is the barrel kick using just color masks. There wasn't really a good way to do the redraw with barrels so I have a palette shift and then a color mask over mini Sagat. In lieu of adding more color to his body I added a little detail to his shorts.
barrelKick.gifbarrelKick.gif
The mask applies to the barrel scene no matter how many barrels are left to "kick"

Some of the portrait frames aren't terrible, like Bison:
Bison.gifBison.gif

But some are like Zangief:
beatgief.gifbeatgief.gif

Im almost done Zangief's wall break then I'm pretty sure all I have left is GUILE/TORPEDO , then figure out the palette swaps for EXTRA BALL and SPECIAL.

EDIT: And I still need to mask the skill shot, but the results screen is done!

1 week later
#72 6 years ago

So status update:

Need to tweak Ryu, Ken, Dhalsim, and Zangief animations that play when you hit their lit shot. Mostly frame timing.
Other 8 fighters are 100% complete.

Need to color mask the skill shot "Ready set shoot!"
Need to color mask Zangief "wall break" shot (3 million point shot)
Need to choose the palette for multiball and torpedo multiball.
Need to decide if redrawing the "flying bracelet" is worth doing or just leave it grey scale.

Everything else is DONE. I am working on Zangief's shot animation right now.

it was tricky to make the bullseye with only black, red , white, and blue
bullseye.JPGbullseye.JPG

#73 6 years ago

I'm drooling....

#74 6 years ago

Was very unhappy with the color masks on Zangief's "wall punch/headbutt"

so it took 4 hours to take this:
Wallbreaker.gifWallbreaker.gif

to this:
glassbreak.gifglassbreak.gif
(click them, they are animated!)

I think the original was him headbutting a wall, I made it so he's punching a pane of glass instead.

Multiball palette is done, new status update:

So status update:

Need to tweak Ryu, Ken, and Dhalsim animations that play when you hit their lit shot. Mostly frame timing.
Other 9 fighters are 100% complete.

Need to color mask the skill shot "Ready set shoot!"
Need to choose/set the palette for torpedo multiball.
Need to decide if redrawing the "flying bracelet" is worth doing or just leave it grey scale.

Everything else is DONE.

#75 6 years ago

Subscribed to follow this greatness!

#76 6 years ago

Wow this is awesome work! I may need to find or get my street fighter back from ImNotNorm hahaha!

#77 6 years ago

Killer! Man the quality you have going on is insane!

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from Jinroh:

Killer! Man the quality you have going on is insane!

Right? Some one let him borrow their JP. Hes too far from me.

#79 6 years ago

Looking dang good, I'm quite interested in this for mine.

#80 6 years ago

Im trying to finish this today if time allows.

Done since last update:
Guile shot palette swap (to spell out Guile)
Torpedo shot palette swap (to spell out torpedo)
Extra Ball palette swap
"use flippers to choose" palette swap and mask (choice after defeating a fighter)
Multi-ball palette and mask
1-2 punch and mask
Guile (resized).JPGGuile (resized).JPG

onetwo.gifonetwo.gif
(this one is animated)

Still Left:
tweak Ryu, Ken, and Dhalsim animations

Optional:
make new "flying bracelet" animation

Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Right? Some one let him borrow their JP. Hes too far from me.

I dont need to borrow a JP, if there's someone close by that will let me hook up a pin2DMD to their data cable to get a recording I could get started.

#81 6 years ago

The quality is jaw dropping. That Guile coloring is bang on to the 90's theme! +1

I like checking in on all this progress. Well done!!!

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuxedomask23:

Wow this is awesome work! I may need to find or get my street fighter back from thehuemanatee hahaha!

I noticed there's a SF2 for sale here in Edmonton (not mine). You may be able to get that one

If not....you are always welcome to come play mine if you are in my neck of the woods

#83 6 years ago

Look. I understand that you have no intention of marketing this thing... I respect your decision. That being said:

f26[1] (resized).jpgf26[1] (resized).jpg

#84 6 years ago

yeah no way I wouldn't buy this or donate all the monies. it is unbelievable what you've done!

#85 6 years ago

Down to just Ken!!!!!

to mix it up I put this Dhalsim animation in player 2 colors:
Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

EDIT: Also added "Special" palette swap and mask tooooooo

#86 6 years ago

love this thread!

#87 6 years ago

totally forgot about the skill shot. Still not sure what the best way to do it is.

I believe Im going to try and just do a quick "make it not suck" color mask then put the files up for download.
I'll release the files for both a vpin and a real pin, but any support on getting them to work will have to be handled by Lucky1

Skill shot should take about an hour or two at most bringing my total time to a ball hair under 160 hours

#88 6 years ago

Can you briefly explain how to install this on your SD card? Just put the PAL file on the SD card's root?

#89 6 years ago

It's 2 files, pal and fsq I think. Put them in the root and you're golden.

#90 6 years ago

Nice new profile pic Malenko

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I dont need to borrow a JP, if there's someone close by that will let me hook up a pin2DMD to their data cable to get a recording I could get started.

Let's get this man access to a JP!

#92 6 years ago

You should be able to get a dump using the custom vpinmame.dll file and PinMAME.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You should be able to get a dump using the custom vpinmame.dll file and PinMAME.

prefer to capture from real machines.

Sorry for the delay, Ive had to break the skill shot into multiple sequences because key frames repeat multiple times. Trying to get this done ASAP.

#94 6 years ago

This thread title is like one of those impossible paradoxes that Captain Kirk would use to make an evil computer explode.

#95 6 years ago

So I have the skill shot broken into smaller sections to remove all the keyframe overlap, and Ive began to color the frames. There are A LOT of frames. I dont know what color the word "FIGHTER" is going to be, but for now, its yellow, probably leave it that way and have the fighter number be blue and keep with the Capcom color scheme.

Before:
1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

and After:
2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG
(to note, the 1 is now yellow, this was an early capture)

And here is the flying bracelet animation:
bracelet.gifbracelet.gif

I *MIGHT* go back and add like an anime style "swooshing" background to make it look like its flying through the air super fast, but I just dont have it in me to redraw that many frames for a 3 second animation.

part 1
skillshot (resized).pngskillshot (resized).png

part 2
skillshotb.gifskillshotb.gif

part 3
skillshotc.gifskillshotc.gif

then it loops back to part 1
masks ensure the frames are colored and the words are too even if the words change.
3 hours for that!
I think I need to go back and add key frames for players 2,3, and 4 but that can wait.

#96 6 years ago

RELEASE!!!!!!!!

Ok so here are the files!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9cWp45XToh2RF9LczQyV1ZnNXc?usp=sharing

if you have a real SFII pinball just put the 2 files in the root of your SD Card.
If you have a VPIN, well... put them where they belong in your machine. I dont know where they belong, Haruman still has my Vpin to make a kit out of.

If you want to donate, PM me for my paypal. If you dont want to, enjoy the files anyway.

#97 6 years ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Could you recommend any good ready to go/turnkey Pin2DMD suppliers?

#98 6 years ago
#99 6 years ago

I apologize. I should have asked; which model?

#100 6 years ago

Great job Thomas! Any plans on doing other less loved Gottliebs, such as Cue Ball Wizard?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 2.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
Various novelties
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
Various other swag
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again/page/2?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.