(Topic ID: 188193)

Pin2DMD color release for Street Fighter II!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
7CD72FE5-3199-45CD-9AF2-99A292121FA3 (resized).jpeg
CA6C86A6-8E1D-4635-B0C3-81EAAB887B16 (resized).jpeg
85da50d69340e39338ae1f6c578abc4832b1869a (resized).jpg
20200222_105408 (resized).jpg
20200222_105631 (resized).jpg
20200222_105335 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
AA83C207-0525-4591-A03D-F95499424483 (resized).jpeg
3CAAB96B-BBC3-494A-9416-130891238456 (resized).jpeg
32085FD3-EDAA-4C94-AF6C-D554E625AFC5 (resized).jpeg
20190718_210007_1.gif
ginger (resized).jpg
sf2_multiball red (resized).jpg
sf2_guile_instru2 (resized).jpg
sf2 guile instrution1 (resized).jpg
There are 651 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.
#601 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Whats broke? I havent updated to freezy 1.8 yet

Freezy 1.8 everything is black and white
Freezy 1.7.1 everything is full color - works great!

#602 3 years ago

update your vpinmame version too

#603 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

update your vpinmame version too

updated vpinmame to the newest r5022, still black and white with freezy 1.8

2 weeks later
#604 3 years ago

If I wanted this for my SF2, what do I need to buy, and what do I need to do?

#605 3 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

If I wanted this for my SF2, what do I need to buy, and what do I need to do?

Hit up @dzorbas, he sells the boards to save you from having to figure it out... or get ready to do lots of reading, you can start at www.pin2dmd.com.

#606 3 years ago

buy or build a pin2dmd and then register it and copy my files to the sd card

1 week later
#607 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

buy or build a pin2dmd and then register it and copy my files to the sd card

I had bsanders hit me up. Bought a board complete, and he kindly loaded the files onto the SD card (I'm a super nerd, easy to do, but I have 0 free time). I received the board today and installed it. Included the vampire taps, and even though it says 12v, the video referenced in this thread (8v-36v) and the pin2dmd site (20v for Gottlieb), I 'chanced it' and it worked perfectly.

I couldn't find a Malenko Alt translite, so I had to buy it from Europe? Is that right? I reached out to the original mfg for Malenko but said he isn't printing anymore.

Anyway, will likely throw a few bucks Malenkos way, I have a Stargate I may want to do this for as well! ... and a T2... and a Demo man... and...

#608 3 years ago

Yeah Ken doesnt print any more but I have a friend who runs ArcadeXL that is going to take over printing for me. Retrorefurbs, despite promising me years ago to stop, is still selling my ALT Ryu version. I knew he was a lying piece of shit so I dont let it bother me. To me the important thing is that you have the translite and enjoy your game.

https://www.facebook.com/XLarcades/

He will be the one printing my T2 Alt exclusively.

#609 3 years ago

Thanks for all you do for the hobby Malenko, it’s much appreciated.
I’ve been interested in getting color pin2dmds into my super Mario Bros and now my new-to-me t2. But I’ve always preferred the idea of buying one fully assembled as opposed to me building one.
Am I correct in reading the above as bsanders and dzorbas selling such a product? If so I’ll have to reach out to them for more info.

#610 3 years ago

I know dpannell used to; I dont do anything hardware wise with it. I just color the dots. I know that ScottyC did an amazing job coloring SMB.

#611 3 years ago

Yes bsanders is still active, selling virtually plug and play units (throw in an SD card with two files on it, done). I may buy another from him. Malenko , should I cancel my order as this is fraud? I like the translite but still, tell me if I should. Was not inexpensive.

#612 3 years ago

Just get the translite and enjoy it

1 week later
#613 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Am I correct in reading the above as bsanders and dzorbas selling such a product? If so I’ll have to reach out to them for more info.

For the Canadian folks, yes, I'm selling fully activated boards. I'm currently reloading, waiting on parts from China but they should arrive within a couple of weeks.

For those in the US, I will be happy to help you out but I would hit up Dan @dpannell, first as shipping logistics will probably be much better.

PM me for more info.

Thanks!

#614 3 years ago

I have some extra boards ready to ship if anyone's looking for one.

#615 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

has anyone looked into putting an autoplunger in yet? Like so many Premier/Gottlieb games, they really need an autoplunger on the shooter lane, and usage in the rules, to really take the games to the next level

I was looking at sf2 yesterday. The game has so much potential. Wish I had a spare populated playfield to make some changes and maybe work on new rules.

Close off blanka hole to open up a smooth orbit.

Install optos so chun li ramp can lift when ball makes orbit around from left and ramp is down.

Put a diverter on the ken shot that allows for an inner looping shot back around orbit to same flipper. I think this could be done...

All shots are variations of the following to defeat opponent: hit lit shots in order, then shoot right orbit or install up post like tmnt to allow ball to go up left orbit and come back down smoothly.

Ken shot would then be “kill shot” whether you load it up from left or from right.

The left ramp could also have a wireform added to it so it doesnt drop into hole, it flows back into other wireforms back to flippers. Would need opto added to track shots.

LOTS of potential for this game I think. It could be made into a really cool and more difficult game.

Still working on car smash ideas other than a smaller ball to make it harder.

#616 3 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I was looking at sf2 yesterday. The game has so much potential. Wish I had a spare populated playfield to make some changes and maybe work on new rules...

A lot of great ideas here!

What about adding targets at the front of the car, to force the player to aim and not just smash the flipper button as fast as possible...

#617 3 years ago
Quoted from matiou:

A lot of great ideas here!
What about adding targets at the front of the car, to force the player to aim and not just smash the flipper button as fast as possible...

You know the car smash is hard if you do it enough times (timer gets shorter I guess)

#618 3 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

You know the car smash is hard if you do it enough times (timer gets shorter I guess)

you're right... my problem is that it is first "too easy" then "too easy" then "impossible"

1 month later
#619 3 years ago

Guys im looking at picking up a Color2DMD for my Street Fighter II machine, can someone help me confirm if the EVO version of the Pin2DMD will be compatible with this machine?

Thanks
Scott

1 week later
#620 3 years ago

A little perplexed by the question (you know the thread you're posting in?), but yes, PIN2DMD EVO works on SFII.

I have a couple extra EVO boards left if you need one.

#621 3 years ago

Thanks HighVoltage, so i have a EVO board and have plugged it in (Drawing power from the flasher as per the StarGate video).

Powers up fine, however when booting up, the screen turns grey and does not get past the Gottlieb v2 setting screen.

For some reason it booted up fine once, i have no idea how or why, when testing the game the colours were all messed up.

My game version is 9FEF, im wondering if that could be the issue?

I plug my original DMD back in it works perfectly fine...

Thanks
Scott

#622 3 years ago

So i plugged the Pin2DMD into my Terminator 2 machine (After downloading Malenko's T2 files), the DMD works perfect on T2.

I will guess the issues with SF2 were my version of game (9FEF) but thats ok, im happy to have T2 colored and ill keep SF2 as standard DMD.

Regards,
Scott

#623 3 years ago
Quoted from sc0ttf:

ill keep SF2 as standard DMD.

IMHO you should really try to use it also on SF2. It brings more than colors... Malenko did an awesome job at re-drawing the screens and it's really improving the game.

#624 3 years ago
Quoted from sc0ttf:

So i plugged the Pin2DMD into my Terminator 2 machine (After downloading Malenko's T2 files), the DMD works perfect on T2.
I will guess the issues with SF2 were my version of game (9FEF) but thats ok, im happy to have T2 colored and ill keep SF2 as standard DMD.
Regards,
Scott

Any chance you have access to a rom burner? I've got the image files.

#625 3 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

Any chance you have access to a rom burner? I've got the image files.

I personally don't have one, however my local pinball retailer does, could I get a copy of the files please and I'll pay them a visit?

Is 9FEF an old version? And is A094 still the latest?

Thanks,
Scott

#626 3 years ago
Quoted from sc0ttf:

I personally don't have one, however my local pinball retailer does, could I get a copy of the files please and I'll pay them a visit?
Thanks,
Scott

I don't know if A094 is newer or if there was some rom difference for US vs exported machines but A094 sounds familiar from my machine and Pin2DMD is working. I'll dig the files out and send you a message.

#627 3 years ago
Quoted from sc0ttf:

Thanks,
Scott

Quoted from latenite04:

I don't know if A094 is newer or if there was some rom difference for US vs exported machines but A094 sounds familiar from my machine and Pin2DMD is working. I'll dig the files out and send you a message.

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

My checksum is showing A-094 after powerup (I believe that's the most up to date)

3 weeks later
#628 3 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

I had bsanders hit me up. Bought a board complete, and he kindly loaded the files onto the SD card (I'm a super nerd, easy to do, but I have 0 free time). I received the board today and installed it. Included the vampire taps, and even though it says 12v, the video referenced in this thread (8v-36v) and the pin2dmd site (20v for Gottlieb), I 'chanced it' and it worked perfectly.
I couldn't find a Malenko Alt translite, so I had to buy it from Europe? Is that right? I reached out to the original mfg for Malenko but said he isn't printing anymore.
Anyway, will likely throw a few bucks Malenkos way, I have a Stargate I may want to do this for as well! ... and a T2... and a Demo man... and...

phoenix_iii did you end up tapping the +20v on the input side of A8, or did you just use the standard P2 output to the Pin2DMD?

Thanks

2 months later
#629 3 years ago

Thought I'd do a quick summary here for those following, as I've read through this entire thread quite a few times trying to figure a few things out. This might help some people in the future:

Pin2DMD Power:

- do NOT use the 12V from the old DMD power cable, it won't work. Forget about this cable, you don't need it once you're using a Pin2DMD
- The EVO version of Pin2DMD has a "12V" with two screw terminals. It connects to a XL4015 buck converter that can take anything from 8V to 36V so 20V is fine
- The easiest source of power is the P1 terminal on the top right of the Driver Board A3. This is the place recommended on the Pin2DMD website (https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/ point 3) and it's what I've used and it works great. No need for an external power supply. Clip some wire splicer/tappers on and you are set. Make sure you get the right wire for the Ground, because there's another one there which I accidentally connected to first and I blew the 2.5A F5 fuse which was stupid. I've attached a better version of the picture because the one on pin2dmd.com is very small.

Pin2DMD configuration:

- You want to change it from Stern/Bally/etc to "Gottlieb V2"
- Don't worry about Enhanced, it doesn't do anything for Gottlieb

Other:

- @malenko's alt-translite artwork is in the files, so if you want it, you don't need to hassle him for it (like I did =/), if you've got someone who can print it (on "white backlit film").

85da50d69340e39338ae1f6c578abc4832b1869a (resized).jpg85da50d69340e39338ae1f6c578abc4832b1869a (resized).jpg
1 month later
#630 3 years ago

Is the color file for Street Fighter done or a work in progress?

#631 3 years ago
Quoted from m4tt:

Thought I'd do a quick summary here for those following, as I've read through this entire thread quite a few times trying to figure a few things out. This might help some people in the future:
Pin2DMD Power:
- do NOT use the 12V from the old DMD power cable, it won't work. Forget about this cable, you don't need it once you're using a Pin2DMD
- The EVO version of Pin2DMD has a "12V" with two screw terminals. It connects to a XL4015 buck converter that can take anything from 8V to 36V so 20V is fine
- The easiest source of power is the P1 terminal on the top right of the Driver Board A3. This is the place recommended on the Pin2DMD website (https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/ point 3) and it's what I've used and it works great. No need for an external power supply. Clip some wire splicer/tappers on and you are set. Make sure you get the right wire for the Ground, because there's another one there which I accidentally connected to first and I blew the 2.5A F5 fuse which was stupid. I've attached a better version of the picture because the one on pin2dmd.com is very small.
Pin2DMD configuration:
- You want to change it from Stern/Bally/etc to "Gottlieb V2"
- Don't worry about Enhanced, it doesn't do anything for Gottlieb
Other:
- malenko's alt-translite artwork is in the files, so if you want it, you don't need to hassle him for it (like I did =/), if you've got someone who can print it (on "white backlit film").
[quoted image]

The evo board already has a xl4015 circuit built in, so there’s no need for an external converter. The 12V marking on the screw terminal is only a „suggestion“ but it takes any DC voltage within the xl4015 specs

Quoted from Bay78:

It’s done, afaik

#632 3 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

done for years. link to files in first post.

2 months later
#633 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

done for years. link to files in first post.

Just got my pin2dmd. I clicked on the link but its not working.

#635 3 years ago

updated the first page with the new link , I forgot that I had moved the files around

#636 3 years ago

For those of you trying this I had issues using Dfuse Demo Utility to install firmware. It would not pick my evo board even though I could see it in my Device manager.

I used STM32CubeProgrammer to install firmware to the evo board. ( Mind you will have to use the .bin file to update that way as it doesn't support a .dfu file.)

Now I went ahead dropped Malenko's files into the sd card as instructed and inserted into the evo board. Sadly it is not picking up the files.

I'm pretty sure I am doing something wrong but it seems I keep having to do work arounds for strange issues.

Not sure if my machine is on a different rom version? GPROM Checksum - A094

Anyone else encountered these issues?

lucky1 do I have to be activated to be able to see the colorization?

CA6C86A6-8E1D-4635-B0C3-81EAAB887B16 (resized).jpegCA6C86A6-8E1D-4635-B0C3-81EAAB887B16 (resized).jpeg

#637 3 years ago
Quoted from ish08kazuya:

For those of you trying this I had issues using Dfuse Demo Utility to install firmware. It would not pick my evo board even though I could see it in my Device manager.
I used STM32CubeProgrammer to install firmware to the evo board. ( Mind you will have to use the .bin file to update that way as it doesn't support a .dfu file.)
Now I went ahead dropped Malenko's files into the sd card as instructed and inserted into the evo board. Sadly it is not picking up the files.
I'm pretty sure I am doing something wrong but it seems I keep having to do work arounds for strange issues.
Not sure if my machine is on a different rom version? GPROM Checksum - A094
Anyone else encountered these issues?
[quoted image]

Your checksum is correct. The files need to be on the root of the sd card, no sub folders. You need the pin2dmd.fsq, pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.key. You used to need the key file to get things to work but I thought I read that lucky added a trial of a few minutes, I don't know if that includes the colorization.

#638 3 years ago
Quoted from ish08kazuya:

Yes !

Quoted from latenite04:

and pin2dmd.key.

pin2dmd.key is the (very) old name for the key which is not used anymore. Just copy the file like you get it to your SD.

#639 2 years ago

Thx for the help and got it up and running. Malenko really did a great job on this!

7CD72FE5-3199-45CD-9AF2-99A292121FA3 (resized).jpeg7CD72FE5-3199-45CD-9AF2-99A292121FA3 (resized).jpeg
#640 2 years ago

Glad you like it. I quite miss my SFII but everyone wants too much for the game nowadays, so I cant buy it back.

#641 2 years ago

I have an issue that when I fire up SF2 the display doesn't always sync and it instead loads up the generic ColorDMD menu. If I cut power to the DMD and resume it will sync up. It's intermittent in nature. Could this be a ribbon cable causing the issue?

#642 2 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

generic ColorDMD menu.

What do you mean with this ? Is it a display from the brand colorDMD ? This thread is about pin2dmd.

#643 2 years ago

Hi. I would like to know how to download the T2 for a pin2dmd ? I got 1 a time ago and never use it. Thank you

#644 2 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

What do you mean with this ? Is it a display from the brand colorDMD ? This thread is about pin2dmd.

My bad. No coffee at the time of post. I meant pin2DMD. As far as I'm aware CDMD doesnt make a SF2 display

#645 2 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

My bad. No coffee at the time of post. I meant pin2DMD. As far as I'm aware CDMD doesnt make a SF2 display

I still don´t know what you mean with "generic menu"

#646 2 years ago

Fair enough. I should have said the configuration menu

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#647 2 years ago

Did you set the devicemode to Gottlieb V2 ?

#648 2 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Did you set the devicemode to Gottlieb V2 ?

Yes. Any sometimes it boots just fine. Othertimes it boots into the configuration menu. While the pin is still on, I power cycle the display then it connects properly.

#649 2 years ago

Sounds like a hardware issue with the buttons or so. Hard to tell from remote.

2 years later
#650 19 days ago

Hello, what do I need to buy to get a "plug and play" kit for Street Fighter II?
Or is anyone here selling kits?
I'm in California.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 651 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again/page/13?hl=phoenix_iii and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.