(Topic ID: 188193)

Pin2DMD color release for Street Fighter II!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 649 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by lucky1
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
7CD72FE5-3199-45CD-9AF2-99A292121FA3 (resized).jpeg
CA6C86A6-8E1D-4635-B0C3-81EAAB887B16 (resized).jpeg
85da50d69340e39338ae1f6c578abc4832b1869a (resized).jpg
20200222_105408 (resized).jpg
20200222_105631 (resized).jpg
20200222_105335 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
AA83C207-0525-4591-A03D-F95499424483 (resized).jpeg
3CAAB96B-BBC3-494A-9416-130891238456 (resized).jpeg
32085FD3-EDAA-4C94-AF6C-D554E625AFC5 (resized).jpeg
20190718_210007_1.gif
ginger (resized).jpg
sf2_multiball red (resized).jpg
sf2_guile_instru2 (resized).jpg
sf2 guile instrution1 (resized).jpg

There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.
#501 5 years ago

Got an email from Dominick today that my order was shipped. I sent him an inquiry yesterday referencing my order number and reiterating I don't need him to assemble and I think that helped. Pics to follow!!!!

3 weeks later
#502 5 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

Got an email from Dominick today that my order was shipped. I sent him an inquiry yesterday referencing my order number and reiterating I don't need him to assemble and I think that helped. Pics to follow!!!!

Still Hasn't arrived....

#503 5 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, I ordered from him March 5th and haven't gotten anything and he hasn't replied to my PM yet.

#504 5 years ago

Sorry, I'm just coming in on this (and picking up a SF2 tonight), does anyone offer a plug n play version of the color DMD? Feel free to virtual slap me if this has been discussed and I missed it.

1 month later
#505 5 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

So either my package has been "shipping" for 60+ days, or I was told it was shipped just to shut me up. I know which one I want to be true, but at the same time I know which one is probably true.

Very disappointing experience so far with germangamingsupplies ordered over 120 days ago...

I did get an email asking me to review my products on his website, I am not going to because "something something not nice to say....something something nothing at all"

On the flipside, I placed an order with Cliffy B in January, he sent me an email telling me he was months behind and asking if I was ok waiting, I said go for it. Cliffy emailed me when they did ship, apologized for the wait, and go figure they were in my mailbox a few days later.

A tale of 2 orders, my thanks go to cliffy only at this point.

#506 5 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

So either my package has been "shipping" for 60+ days, or I was told it was shipped just to shut me up. I know which one I want to be true, but at the same time I know which one is probably true.
Very disappointing experience so far with germangamingsupplies ordered over 120 days ago...
I did get an email asking me to review my products on his website, I am not going to because "something something not nice to say....something something nothing at all"
On the flipside, I placed an order with Cliffy B in January, he sent me an email telling me he was months behind and asking if I was ok waiting, I said go for it. Cliffy emailed me when they did ship, apologized for the wait, and go figure they were in my mailbox a few days later.
A tale of 2 orders, my thanks go to cliffy only at this point.

Thanks for the update.

2 months later
#507 5 years ago

I just got finished building and installing my display and I'm glad I did. Malenko the coloring you did looks fantastic. After owning this machine for almost 12 years the color display brings it new life. I'd also like to say thanks to lucky1 and all the other people who have put in countless hours of hard work designing and coding pin2dmd.

20180830_230039 (resized).jpg20180830_230039 (resized).jpg

#508 5 years ago

now replace that translight :p

Im glad you like it!

#509 5 years ago

Still wish some one would sell plug and play pin2dmd for Sf2. I dont have time to dick with it, I just want to plug it in and gooooo.

2 months later
#510 5 years ago

Still waiting to get my hardware from GermanGaming (no progress other than a bogus tracking number). However, thanks to u/latenight04 I now have a pin2dmd for my machine and it seems to be working great . Donation sent over to Malenko - thank you so much for all your hard work!

20181102_120107 (resized).jpg20181102_120107 (resized).jpg
#511 5 years ago
Quoted from Hvyarms:

Still waiting to get my hardware from GermanGaming (no progress other than a bogus tracking number). However, thanks to u/latenight04 I now have a pin2dmd for my machine and it seems to be working great . Donation sent over to Malenko - thank you so much for all your hard work!
[quoted image]

It's 'only' been 7 and a half months for you. One guy on pinside recently waited 8 months. Others have waited longer to get what they ordered or to be reimbursed ...

I'd suggest kicking up a bigger stink here and informing robin , since rappelbox still has a store on Pinside. Maybe you'll then get product or a refund.

#512 5 years ago

You guys are gonna make me go out and buy another SFII pin. I too am waiting a LONG LONG time for an order from GGS.

#513 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

You guys are gonna make me go out and buy another SFII pin. I too am waiting a LONG LONG time for an order from GGS.

Hehe, its a good value game!

#514 5 years ago

I contacted robin like you are suggesting rubberducks. Not sure if it will help or not but I figured it was worth a try. Next step would be to contact the Facebook mods for the germangamingsupplies page there as well.

1 month later
#515 5 years ago

Hi All - just a quick update for the thread. I had a series of back and forth conversations with Dominik from GermanGamingSupplies and Robin. Ultimately Robin was my hero and with enough pushing I received my package today from GGS (so it is possible)! To the rest of you who ordered I hope you are able to get your packages eventually as well

Hvy

#516 5 years ago

now someone please make a mod and install a ball autolaunch

#517 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

now someone please make a mod and install a ball autolaunch

lol, right? That would take software update too. I think a total game re-design at that point would be due. Could be epic!

#518 5 years ago

Autolaunch would be doable, just have to have a launch mech like TMNT so you could still use the plunger. Or replace the rod with a button. The button would just trigger a relay that fires the solenoid, wouldn't need a software update could totally be done via hardware.

I wouldn't mind having a broken SFII to try and remake with a P3ROC/PROC ; its actually a pretty great layout its the stop and go play that most people dislike.

#519 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Autolaunch would be doable, just have to have a launch mech like TMNT so you could still use the plunger. Or replace the rod with a button. The button would just trigger a relay that fires the solenoid, wouldn't need a software update could totally be done via hardware.
I wouldn't mind having a broken SFII to try and remake with a P3ROC/PROC ; its actually a pretty great layout its the stop and go play that most people dislike.

I think theyre more interested in the multiballs automatically happening instead of having to load the other balls via plunger before it starts.

#520 5 years ago

ahhhhh gotcha. Tapping a launch button would be a step in the right direction but having it autofire like that would definitely need a software update.

Ive been reading up on the PROC stuff, if I did redo SFII I'd remake the original game, and do SFIITurbo (?) and you'd pick which one to play when you coin
p :p I've got a myriad of ideas and modes on paper using the existing layout , even have a couple video modes working in my head.

#521 5 years ago

I wonder if you could smooth over the blanka kick out and the vega hole and make a loopable shot around that orbit. You could just use optos to beat blanka and vega instead. Would make it a lot less clunky, and would serve the auto launcher better. The balls could launch in and come down that left orbit instead of clunk clunk clunk lol.

#522 5 years ago

would there be a way to without a full code redo to make the switch in the shooter lane trigger the new auto plunger to launch the ball?

#523 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

would there be a way to without a full code redo to make the switch in the shooter lane trigger the new auto plunger to launch the ball?

How would that work with the skill shot?

#524 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

How would that work with the skill shot?

oh, well yeah forgot about that. skill shot is pointless anyways if you are trying to get a good score when you can collect multiple super jackpots for 300 mil or beat the champions challenge for 500 mil. gotta break 2 billion to get last on my scoreboard lol

#525 5 years ago

oh, well yeah forgot about that. skill shot is pointless anyways if you are trying to get a good score when you can collect multiple super jackpots for 300 mil or beat the champions challenge for 500 mil. gotta break 2 billion to get last on my scoreboard lol

If were changing the code, wouldnt we change this too? Lol. Its all about making the game better as a whole.

#526 5 years ago

If were changing the code, wouldnt we change this too? Lol. Its all about making the game better as a whole.

Your retort was to my suggestion at adding an auto plunger without a change to software //shrug

#527 5 years ago

Your retort was to my suggestion at adding an auto plunger without a change to software //shrug

Lol sorry.

1 month later
#528 5 years ago

I think a rewrite is definitely in order. SF2Turbo would be an epic mod.
Install autoplunger on the shooter lane, have dual ball play more seemless and regular to overcome stop/go.
Have car-bash a regular mode that plays while the upper playfield is still active.
Redo the skill shot values
Less flipper choices to speed up gameplay, and less pauses in holes in general (have animation run while game is going)

#529 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I think a rewrite is definitely in order. SF2Turbo would be an epic mod.
Install autoplunger on the shooter lane, have dual ball play more seemless and regular to overcome stop/go.
Have car-bash a regular mode that plays while the upper playfield is still active.
Redo the skill shot values
Less flipper choices to speed up gameplay, and less pauses in holes in general (have animation run while game is going)

Ive been thinking hard about what could change to make the game better. I actually want to adjust the playfield a bit.

Remove blanka hole

Move the vega hole down into the lane between the vega hole and the pop bumper. Make this the skill shot, kind of like FH.
This will open up the orbit to be able to orbit either lane. Make the blank and vega hole optos instead.

Make the bracelet the jackpot shot on a mode. the center of the target is 2x the jackpot

More to come....

#530 5 years ago

I'd still like to pick up a dead SFII so I could do a custom P3-ROC on it or something.
I've already done the DMD, Translight, cab art, and even some play field stickers ; the only thing left to do is a software rewrite

#531 5 years ago

Remove blanka hole

so just have a standup back there and have it come back quickly? Might need some kind of guide to prevent bounce-offs and keep it to the wall.

a rewrite definitely needs more Chun Li and Guile shots IMHO

#532 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

so just have a standup back there and have it come back quickly? Might need some kind of guide to prevent bounce-offs and keep it to the wall.
a rewrite definitely needs more Chun Li and Guile shots IMHO

Nah, just have an opto there to register the shot. Right?

Maybe an up post if you want to set that shot up for a combo or something. Kind of like iron maiden does for the loop jackpot shot

Guile is my favorite and the toughest shot to make. Its tight!

#533 5 years ago

another thing you could do in software alone: Have certain switch hits pulse the rotating Chun Li flipper so you advance it to a better position

#534 5 years ago

I just finished building and testing a pin2dmd display if anyone is looking for one. Send me a pm if you are interested.

1 month later
#535 5 years ago

Finally, pin2dmd received, copied Malenkos files over to the sd card, and meanwhile waiting for the unlock key, i tested the display. I selcted gottlieb v2, left other options default.

It looks slightly off when it comes to colors, and animations, i took some videos in the links below. Can someone confirm if this is how it should look?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gHq6EW2C484DVtF_tjqDmghfBSQaXqDq/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OdOZhkRkqOxXd1Jl3udFryJsF8Gm75ps/view?usp=drivesdk

Or will something be improved when the display is unlocked?

Morten

#536 5 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Or will something be improved when the display is unlocked?
Morten

Colorizations only work with activated firmware. Sent you the key 2 hours ago via PM !

#537 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Colorizations only work with activated firmware. Sent you the key 2 hours ago via PM !

Yup thanks, transferring it at home now, was just curious if activation was needed for colors, and not full colours until trial version time ended =) good to hear! Will fix it tomorrow!

#538 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Ok....a few things I've noticed.
1- Vera's claw seems to be regularly colorized now.
2- My multi-ball and torpedo mode are colorized white on the DMD.....but when I get a jackpot....it sometimes turn to red and then stays that way. (50/50 chance of that it seems)
3- When I killed Guile and Blanka, their old animations played with the crappy grey coloring. (Only happened once, then it reverted to the Malenko colorized animations.......which are gorgeous by the way)
Just wondering if I'm the only one experiencing some of these issues....or if others are as well?
Or maybe I did something wrong during the install?

I finally got mine up and running, and I am experiencing some of the same issues. (even though you fixed it by re-plugging connectors ?)
- Intermittently Blanka is grey old animation, and sometimes in between there are some white/grey frames in general.
- Often when starting multiball everything is in grey, then after a jackpot it flashes red and usually stays red for the rest of the multiball. Way it should be?
- In the info screen for guilde, the green and red colors seems to be very intermittent for when they are showing correct and not.
- At boot, the Pin2DMD first is in color, then it turns to grey, with Gottlieb V2 in text beneath, as another pinsider in this thread experienced. I shall try some replugging first.

Any idea what the culprit might be? Besides that, the new animations are fantastic
sf2 guile instrution1 (resized).jpgsf2 guile instrution1 (resized).jpgsf2_guile_instru2 (resized).jpgsf2_guile_instru2 (resized).jpgsf2_multiball red (resized).jpgsf2_multiball red (resized).jpg

#539 5 years ago

All issues are caused by the colorization. Replugging will not change anything. Maybe you can fix the problems together with Malenko

#540 5 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:- Intermittently Blanka is grey old animation, and sometimes in between there are some white/grey frames in general.

Missing keyframe

Quoted from Edenecho:

- Often when starting multiball everything is in grey, then after a jackpot it flashes red and usually stays red for the rest of the multiball. Way it should be?

Missing keyframe

Quoted from Edenecho:

- In the info screen for guilde, the green and red colors seems to be very intermittent for when they are showing correct and not.

Missing keyframe

Quoted from Edenecho:

- At boot, the Pin2DMD first is in color, then it turns to grey, with Gottlieb V2 in text beneath, as another pinsider in this thread experienced. I shall try some replugging first.

That´s a normal process. Bootsplash is displayed with VGA palette after that the default palette of the project is active.

#541 4 years ago

So the pin2DMD version was .58, I updated to the newest firmware version .65. That eliminated many of the missing frames. a couple remain:

1. In multiball everything the color is grey, and when scoring a jackpot, all turns red.
2. Some blanka/ car crush progression frames are grey.

#542 4 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

So the pin2DMD version was .58, I updated to the newest firmware version .65. That eliminated many of the missing frames. a couple remain:
1. In multiball everything the color is grey, and when scoring a jackpot, all turns red.
2. Some blanka/ car crush progression frames are grey.

Either you fix them yourself with the pin2dmd editor or you kindly ask Malenko if he helps you.

#543 4 years ago

Still on vacation in Japan.

#544 4 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Either you fix them yourself with the pin2dmd editor or you kindly ask Malenko if he helps you.

Sorry if it sounds that way, i am just for curiousity posting an update as to the progress status
Im extremely thankful for effort done on this.
My questions has been more regarding what is "as is" and what might have been some challenges not with color files.

Sorry I sounded harsh.

#545 4 years ago

I refactored almost the complete code from 2.58 to > 2.60 . Maybe that fixed some issues accidentially

1 week later
#546 4 years ago

ok, Im back. What specifically are you having issues with? I cant test on my real SFII pin; I sold it But gingerballs has a functioning Pin2DMD
ginger (resized).jpgginger (resized).jpg

2 months later
#547 4 years ago

Excited to discover this thread. Then read the last few pages and it seems like there were some issues that make me hesitate. So questions:

1) Did everyone receive their shipment? Has shipping from GGS improved lately? Updated link for the correct product?
2) Has Malenko addressed the problems some users have had? How often do these issues occur?
3) Is there step-by-step instructions for assembling and installing this anywhere? Total noob here.

Thanks!

#548 4 years ago

I think Malenko can help you with all three points. Hardware is also available from sources in the US.

#549 4 years ago

Every once in a while Vega's recolor wont trigger, same with Blanka's. The old scene plays instead of the redraw. Nothing game breaking, just ugly =) I've added a *lot* of triggers but it still happens on occasion. After I added the additional triggers, I never had any issues. Unfortunately I dont have my actual SF2 pin anymore so any further testing would need to be done on a vpin.

You can always order from dpannell if you want to buy from someone in the US. I have nothing to do with the hardware or supplying it; Im not affiliated with GGS, Lucky1 or Dpannell.

1 week later
#550 4 years ago

Just installed my display and encountered some interesting behavior:

1) First time I ever plugged it in, it worked great. Sagat's animation only ran once, but he turned white on the final frame.

2) The next day, and ever since then, the Gottlieb and Premier logo are now all white, and Sagat's animation runs twice, but this time he doesn't turn white. Other animations look fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 2.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.