(Topic ID: 188193)

Pin2DMD color release for Street Fighter II!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 649 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by lucky1
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
7CD72FE5-3199-45CD-9AF2-99A292121FA3 (resized).jpeg
CA6C86A6-8E1D-4635-B0C3-81EAAB887B16 (resized).jpeg
85da50d69340e39338ae1f6c578abc4832b1869a (resized).jpg
20200222_105408 (resized).jpg
20200222_105631 (resized).jpg
20200222_105335 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
AA83C207-0525-4591-A03D-F95499424483 (resized).jpeg
3CAAB96B-BBC3-494A-9416-130891238456 (resized).jpeg
32085FD3-EDAA-4C94-AF6C-D554E625AFC5 (resized).jpeg
20190718_210007_1.gif
ginger (resized).jpg
sf2_multiball red (resized).jpg
sf2_guile_instru2 (resized).jpg
sf2 guile instrution1 (resized).jpg

There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
#1 6 years ago

RELEASE!!!!!!!!

Ok so here are the files!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11943h3wAwrh8SlF1gQAbhrwO-F3bt_X0
oh and if you wanna chip in, http://paypal.me/Malenk0
Even if you dont chip in, use the files, share the files, its more important to get people enjoying SFII in color than money!

below this is the original thread documenting the colorization.

Mods, if this is the wrong place, move it, this was my best guess at where it should go.

Here is my thread about coloring the DMD for Street Fighter II. I'm maybe about 1/8th of the way done, its really just a spare time thing.
I am using a Pin2DMD and their software Pin2DMDEditor to do it, but if colorDMD wants to send me a panel and the software to do it for their system, I'd be happy to do it again.

To note, this is *NOT* a simple color / pal swap , the VAST majority of the animations are being replaced and redrawn by hand. I do not plan on selling the files, still not sure if its even legal to share them. So for now, this is a one of a kind.

I started by just doing the "manufacturer intro" because it was a super simple edit, adding the red and yellow to the Gottlieb logo, and the red swirl to "Premiere"

In the video, the machine is driving the data to the DMD, the laptop is supplying the power (for now). That was my proof of concept.
I finished the Gottlieb/Premiere logo, then the Street Fighter II/Capcom logo scene, replaced the anti drug message with a "colored by malenko" scene. From there I am doing all the scenes that play when you "defeat a fighter" one at a time.

So far I have Ryu, Balrog, Bison, Guile, and E.Honda done.
Balrog started off like this:
Balrog.gifBalrog.gif
And now looks like this:
Balrogcolor.gifBalrogcolor.gif

I will update this thread when I have 3 to 5 more scenes done, and figure out what needs done next, thanks!

I'd like to close by saying I am fully aware that some people really hate this game. I don't need to be told my animations are terrible, that the game sucks, or that I'm wasting my time. Ultimately this is just a learning experience so I can tackle T2 next.

#2 6 years ago

I don't own a SF2 but I think this is pretty cool, Malenko. I'll be following here to see progress. I think it's great that someone is devoting time to enhance a game that isn't considered to be very popular. Nicely done so far!

#3 6 years ago

Paging tk-the-jammer - he'd probably be into this.

#4 6 years ago

Wow this is amazing! I would buy this for sure for my SFII! What you've done with Balrog is incredible!

#5 6 years ago

DUDE YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

So whats the plan? Show the character being beat up by phantom punches with star animations or something and then show them beat up like on the arcade machine?

SUPER COOOLL!!!

Totally thought Id never mod my Sf2.....uh oh.

#6 6 years ago

Phenomenal work Malenko!

I love me some SF2 and this is looking really super amazing!

#7 6 years ago

impressive. cant wait to see how this turns out

#8 6 years ago

I applaud you my man..keep it up!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Paging tk-the-jammer - he'd probably be into this.

Not a whole lot gets past me these days!

This is 200% awesome. It would keep people from complaining about one of my favorite and underated games.

Malenko, This is the kind of forward thinking that keeps pinball going on and on. Like Trump's let's make America great again.
I truly believe you're making Street Fighter 2 great again can't wait to see more!

#10 6 years ago

Thanks for the support!

Quoted from Chitownpinball:

DUDE YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!
Show the character being beat up by phantom punches with star animations or something and then show them beat up like on the arcade machine?

I just planned on having the character pull off a move or two then hit their win stance. Originally I wanted to show Akuma or something beating up who ever you triggered but 15 colors is too limiting for that.

I did get Ken finished today, working on Vega now.

Here's the standard animation (ignore the wonky colors)

And here's the redeaux! Decided to flip it and make the animation go from right to left.
Kencolor.gifKencolor.gif

#11 6 years ago

omg i am in love.

#12 6 years ago

Awsome

#13 6 years ago

Sick! That Ken is killer!

#14 6 years ago

Man this makes me want a rule rewrite so badly.

Hit the opponents hole, animation of them doing their move plays.
One shot is lit on each side of the playfield and it moves until you hit them
It shows phantom punches hitting player as they increasingly get more beat up looking as you hit shots
Final animation is them beat up like the end of SF2 when you can add credits

Just that alone instead of everyone being one shot dead.

You could alternate shots and chun li could be only lit when its time to fight her

SO MANY POSSIBILITIES.

#15 6 years ago

Oh man that would be sweet. The option for a deeper ruleset would be killer.

I love the game as is, but some more variety would be very nice.

It shows phantom punches hitting player as they increasingly get more beat up looking as you hit shots
You could alternate shots and chun li could be only lit when its time to fight her
SO MANY POSSIBILITIES.

#16 6 years ago

A rule re-write is well beyond the scope of my talents, but Zangief says hello!

#17 6 years ago

He is one rad looking Russian. Keep it up Malenko!

#18 6 years ago

Is there a plan to ever release this to us untalented kiddos who love sfii more than levi hates it?

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Is there a plan to ever release this to us untalented kiddos who love sfii more than levi hates it?

Please let's not make this an "Anti Levi" thing...tons of us hated it long before he did.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Please let's not make this an "Anti Levi" thing...tons of us hated it long before he did.

I agree, lets not get that troll in here. Lets keep it positive.

#21 6 years ago

Color job looks awesome Malenko
When someone gets around to the Capcom games there's a Ryu or 2 that pops up at weird times as well. Or maybe it was Ken

#22 6 years ago

This is very cool. Could those new animations somehow get burned into a rom and onto the game one day?

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

This is very cool. Could those new animations somehow get burned into a rom and onto the game one day?

Im currently working on this for Pin2DMD, so if you buy or build a Pin2DMD and all the files, it'll work on any SFII, no rom burning required. That is, if I can release the files legally. Im talking to Randy about doing the ColorDMD colorization as well, but it would be frame recolors not sprite redraws and then they would supply the files to use with their hardware. I've already got about 30 hours sunk into this project but luckily Im getting the animations done faster and faster as I go.
BlankaColor.gifBlankaColor.gif

Im mixing up the animations too, not just ending in win poses, but now KOs and might even do a few dizzy loops. Sagat was a pain because he's SO TALL! (tallest frame scaled down is still 62 pixels, the DMD is only 32 pixels tall) but I made it work as best I could.
Sagat-Color.gifSagat-Color.gif

#24 6 years ago

SO MANY POSSIBILITIES.

I kinda have a sickness for this kind of thing... Has anyone built an interface board for either P-ROC or FAST for the Gottlieb System 3 machines? I wonder if it would be possible to gut the cpu/driver board and substitute a SNUX driver board? It may be a good thing that my SF2 is in a million pieces right now.

Having re-written a few rule sets using pyprocgamesHD and Mission Pinball Framework, is always a lot harder than you might think. Actually writing and implementing the different modes is easy... It is the video and sound work that eats up most of your time, and is the hardest to get right.

#25 6 years ago

AWSOME job! keep up the great work!

#26 6 years ago

This is great! I love checking on the progress of the work that you're doing. I am giving my SF2 a full shop job right now including brand new upper Playfield. Steve Young has a lot of those hard to get parts at the pinball resource. I can only dream about having a color DMD for this game with improved graphics.

#27 6 years ago

Man so rad!

Sagat and Blanka look killer!

Anything that comes out of this will be so cool. Even if just colourization of the existing dots.

#28 6 years ago

sf2 layout really isnt' that bad, it's skimpy code and bad dmd graphics that pulls this title down. this is a good first step.

#29 6 years ago

I just officially finished all the fighters "defeated" animations for when you make their lit shot.

I cheated with Chun Li's colors, but not as much as I cheated with Vega's!

Vega-Color.gifVega-Color.gif

#30 6 years ago

great work! looks amazing

#31 6 years ago

Dude, these are great!

#32 6 years ago

A true labor of love. Keep at it, man.

#33 6 years ago

Holy smokes! Great work! I got pin2dmd with a sash board set up last year, but the editor was very buggy and un-intuitive. I got frustrated and decided to let it sit a while. Is it in better shape? What version are you using, current? These are stunning.

#35 6 years ago

Love seeing new post notifications for this thread because I know more awesomeness has been done!

#36 6 years ago

Becoming greater and greater by the day! Looking forward to seeing M.Bison and E.Honda illustrated.
As Newton's third law depicts. It's as though this is an equal and opposite reaction to the naysayer thread.
Malenko, it is good people that you that really portray the passion for pinball!
Illustrate, depict, portray. Words that can be used to define the greatness happening here.

#37 6 years ago

Awesome work man! SFII has a special place for me because i grew up harassing other kids on the vid cabs. This just makes the pin so much better! Cant wait to see the rest!

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

Looking forward to seeing M.Bison and E.Honda illustrated.

Honda was actually the first guy done

I dont know why the editor is only exporting the DMD frames with a dot size of 2 sometimes *shrugs*

crusher.gifcrusher.gif
Honda.gifHonda.gif

and testing playpack on the pin2DMD hardware from my laptop:
2million (resized).jpg2million (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago

Awesome. Is it any legal reason you cannot share this code in private with "friends"? Got a sf for summer project, it would be awesome to get this when you are done

#41 6 years ago

Man so cool Malenko. > Loving that Yoga Fire!

#42 6 years ago

Holy cow, your laptop didn't burst into flames? The docs say that thing is capable of pulling 10A(!), which is probably double the rated output on your AC adapter. Or at the very least knock your other USB devices offline.

I'd be interested in T2, let me know if you want help!

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I cheated with Chun Li's colors, but not as much as I cheated with Vega's!

I'm pretty sure you can play sf2 in browser. An easy way to get accurate colors would be to use a color picking tool while playing in browser.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from drunkbaby:

Holy cow, your laptop didn't burst into flames? The docs say that thing is capable of pulling 10A(!), which is probably double the rated output on your AC adapter. Or at the very least knock your other USB devices offline.
I'd be interested in T2, let me know if you want help!

Eh the panels aren't pulling that much juice (about 1A) and my ASUS laptop is a beast :p Usually the panel is plugged into a separate arcade power supply for the +5V , I havent figured out exactly where Im going to wire it into the actual SFII pin yet. But more often than not the panel isnt even on, its just for playing back the animations and making sure the colors look good, grand total of about 10 minutes of on time.

Quoted from lmsybiatb:

I'm pretty sure you can play sf2 in browser. An easy way to get accurate colors would be to use a color picking tool while playing in browser.

Oh I have the exact colors, but most of fighters have more than 16 colors , and I can only use 15 colors + black (black = dot off). So I just eliminate the a few mid tones and dither the art. Its practically impossible to tell on the DMD itself. I know where to look and what colors are off because i made the sprites, but the most obvious recolor is on Guile's Sonic Boom , but that's because the regular sprite has about 30 colors, but I think it works well for what it is.

If the new BETA firmware and layering works as expected this weekend, I should have all the fighter result screens done by the end of next week then I'd just have the sagat barrel, zangief wall hit, vega reward, multiball, billions, extra ball, lite car bonus round, and champions challenge animations to knock out.

1 week later
#45 6 years ago

Ever since the "defeated fighter" animations were finished, Ive been going back through and fixing their timing, frame counts, and delays. It has taken much longer than anticipated.

*IF* all goes well that will be done today and I should be able to zip through the "you have defeated X opponents, you have Y remaining" by the end of the day since they can only have palette changes done and cannot be redrawn.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

*IF* all goes well that will be done today and I should be able to zip through the "you have defeated X opponents, you have Y remaining" by the end of the day since they can only have palette changes done and cannot be redrawn.

That is not right that you only can use palette changes. Use ColMask drawing mode for these scenes.

#47 6 years ago

I should have said "color changes" not palette swaps,my bad. Just so everyone knows Lucky1 has been extremely helpful with me learning the tools and how to best use them.

#48 6 years ago

To use a P-ROC, someone would have to make a "snux-style" board to support System 3. That's really the only stumbling block to a re-write.

#49 6 years ago

well good news is when Im back on a real PC tomorrow I should be able to get the defeated scenes done. Lucky explained how it worked with the color masking for the dynamic scenes, and after some trial and error I got it working. All of the previous animations were reworked to fit with the frame count and timing from the latest DMD recording that fixed gottlieb recording.

using palette changes I finished the car smash mini game, and the bulls eye results are done! I just need to redraw the Sagat barrels, the Zangief "wall punch", color mask the other 11 fighters, and figure out the best default palette.

masking (resized).PNGmasking (resized).PNG

#50 6 years ago

its tomorrow!
Defeated Honda is in the books!
Honda.gifHonda.gif

Did you ever notice that Vega's defeated scene looks an awful lot like Ken?
vega.JPGvega.JPG

I have no idea where they got Ken's from
ken.JPGken.JPG

but its done!
D-Ken.gifD-Ken.gif

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
Tools
Cabinet - Other
PinCoasters
Other
There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.