Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dothedoo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

word.jpg
IMG_1529.jpg
offer.jpg

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

You've averaged a game purchase a fortnight and you say you're not experienced!?

wtf is a fortnight? i used to have something like that after a bunk-bed conversion when I was 8

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just tell them you wouldn't put a price on another persons game. Let them know if they come up with a price to let you know. And walk.
LTG : )™

that is fantastic!!!

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Most of what I sell has a asking price and OBO (cash talks and my wallet listens). I'm not playing a bidding game.
If someone tells me they can be here tomorrow with cash I'm flexible with price. If someone wants it shipped and i have to prepare for shipping and/or spend a day waiting on NAVL to show up at my door I'm not flexible on price.
But what I think the op is talking about is "Make offer" not OBO. The Make offer I usually don't waist my time with.
1) I'm going to offer a low of offer and 2) the seller usually wants to high of a price.

spot on mojo. now sell me that medusa.

i already know what your response is gonna be and so does everyone else on this thread lol...

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Um...f**k the rest of this topic and thread. Can we just discuss this and how, exactly, you've pulled this off?
Surely, you're not married. At least, not anymore.
And I thought I had problems.

Dear beezlebug,

1. i gave up golf

2. i have no kids and a gf that loves to play pinball

2. you do. a substantial amount of which are well documented here on pinside

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Wow you've only been in the hobby for 1.5 years and already finding the joy of the early classic ss games. Most newer people just go for the DMD games. Never giving a classic a chance. There are some really good, fun games from 77 to 85 that if you haven't played them you don't know what your missing out on.

a few observation i have made about good classics vs modern dmds

1. seems to be a lot more drop targets on the classics
2. one level and no ramps equals faster pinball if they are set up right. while the ramps are pretty cool the time it takes the ball to travel through them slows the game down. i would put multiball on my restored and jacked up f2k up against any of my dmds. fast, furious, fair and fun. that game in particular with the 4 kickers is crazy fast especially when/if you can get multiball. the fact that its hard to achieve keeps me coming back. no goofy call outs either

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

wtf is a fortnight? i used to have something like that after a bunk-bed conversion when I was 8

Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

A fortnight is a unit of time equal to 14 days (2 weeks). The word derives from the Old English: fēowertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights".[1][2] Fortnight and fortnightly are commonly used words in the English-speaking world, where some wages, salaries, and social security benefits are paid on a fortnightly basis,[3] except North America, where its use is rare outside some Canadian regions and insular traditional communities (e.g., Amish) in the United States. American and Canadian payroll systems may use the term biweekly in reference to pay periods every two weeks. Neither term should be confused with semimonthly (in one year there are 26 fortnightly or biweekly versus 24 semimonthly pay periods[citation needed]).

Biweekly....... lol.. that could be some sort of Charlie Sheen joke

#58 3 years ago

Make me an offer.....and I will tell u what I think

#59 3 years ago

I know when I see a CL ad that says $xxx OBO that it's going to be an auction. Gone are the days where their asking price means you can actually go buy it right now for that price.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
A fortnight is a unit of time equal to 14 days (2 weeks). The word derives from the Old English: fēowertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights".[1][2] Fortnight and fortnightly are commonly used words in the English-speaking world, where some wages, salaries, and social security benefits are paid on a fortnightly basis,[3] except North America, where its use is rare outside some Canadian regions and insular traditional communities (e.g., Amish) in the United States. American and Canadian payroll systems may use the term biweekly in reference to pay periods every two weeks. Neither term should be confused with semimonthly (in one year there are 26 fortnightly or biweekly versus 24 semimonthly pay periods[citation needed]).
Biweekly....... lol.. that could be some sort of Charlie Sheen joke

Thanks Wikipinhead...

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Thanks Wikipinhead...

Mum = Mom

#62 3 years ago

don't be a tallywhacker

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I know when I see a CL ad that says $xxx OBO that it's going to be an auction. Gone are the days where their asking price means you can actually go buy it right now for that price.

i'll give you 1350 for that quicksilver

#64 3 years ago

We are talking about a Spirit here. A rare game that people who love it and want one are willing to pay dumb money for. The seller obviously knows that and is hoping for people to start throwing their cash at him.

Its one of my top five games of all time, I wish it was cheaper.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

We are talking about a Spirit here. A rare game that people who love it and want one are willing to pay dumb money for. The seller obviously knows that and is hoping for people to start throwing their cash at him.
Its one of my top five games of all time, I wish it was cheaper.

pm me I will give you his info

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

i get it but just put the price on it. if I start throwing my cash at him it will be rolls of pennies at close range.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

A seller should be able to get top dollar for their game. Go and see it and start the negotiations.

#68 3 years ago

"Make Offer" = "I'm not really interested in selling, but if some sucker has a big enough wallet, I'll entertain the idea"

If it doesn't have a price, it's not for sale.
If it has a crazy high price, it WON'T sell... (like on e*pay)

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

If they list a price and OBO that's pretty different from an auction, IMHO at least.

I'm putting up my Fireball II for $1300 OBO. That means that I'm willing to take less, but it gives you a starting point, and if I had several interested parties I'd probably think I could get my price. If interest is low and you offer a little less I'm probably inclined to just sell it to you.

That's not an auction at all. Not asking for more than my price, simply saying I'm willing to take less if there's not a lot of offers.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If they list a price and OBO that's pretty different from an auction, IMHO at least.
I'm putting up my Fireball II for $1300 OBO. That means that I'm willing to take less, but it gives you a starting point, and if I had several interested parties I'd probably think I could get my price. If interest is low and you offer a little less I'm probably inclined to just sell it to you.
That's not an auction at all. Not asking for more than my price, simply saying I'm willing to take less if there's not a lot of offers.

thats how I want to do business

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Ha. I had no idea this term isn't known in the USA. I would say bi-weekly but in British English that means 'twice a week'. So I'll be literal: 'every two weeks'

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Ha. I had no idea this term isn't known in the USA. I would say bi-weekly but in British English that means 'twice a week'. So I'll be literal: 'every two weeks'

good stuff! I am gonna start using it and see if other people are as stupid as I am

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Right, that's the way it should be...$1300 used to mean the high amount. First person to walk up with $1300 takes it. Now it's the low and they want to have an auction starting at $1300. Completely the opposite of what OBO used to mean.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Here is my generic ad for any pin in my collection.
"For sale. Make an offer many times above market value. No low-ball offers."

What? Do you think this is Craigs List?

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

good stuff! I am gonna start using it and see if other people are as stupid as I am

I must say your initial interpretation is way cooler than the real meaning. So you should be high-fiving anyone who guesses alike.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Right, that's the way it should be...$1300 used to mean the high amount. First person to walk up with $1300 takes it. Now it's the low and they want to have an auction starting at $1300. Completely the opposite of what OBO used to mean.

Hmm, well I guess I dunno about that, never run into it, and it's not what I mean by OBO. But the world is full of stupid and greedy people, so I don't doubt you.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I think most people still use it the way Aurich is using it. However, when I see it used on something that looks like it has a good price to start, it makes me wonder.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think most people still use it the way Aurich is using it. However, when I see it used on something that looks like it has a good price to start, it makes me wonder.

Well I think part of it is just the dance. You know that if you list it people want to haggle. So you put it a couple hundred over your price you'd be happy with, and if you sell it for that then great. Not gouging, just slightly higher. But you probably already have a rock bottom price in mind. And it gives you some wiggle room to let someone talk you down after they find whatever little defect or something.

If you list your bottom price it's hard to negotiate. There are some buyers who just aren't happy if they can't whittle you down a little.

Plus I like to have a "friends" price, where I can tell people "look, I listed it for X but for you I can do Y", where Y is my rock bottom.

I dunno, "or best offer" just means less to me, not sure I've ever seen that as an auction phrase. Totally different than make an offer, OBO requires a price to be placed in front of it.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Not on CL anymore. It's usually the low price and they want more. Already tried to buy two games for there asking price recently and was turned down only to see it at an even higher price a few weeks later.

#80 3 years ago

I should add that for me OBO is for games where I'm not convinced they're instant sellers. When I sold my Star Trek Premium all pimped out for $6k I knew it was a good price. I listed it as such, and anyone who offered less got a polite "no thanks, going to wait for my price" response. It's just not a hard game to move, and with what I was including it was a solid deal, you couldn't have beat it yourself. Sold fast, no problems.

With my Fireball II example above, it's a good game, and a classic Bally, but it's not really an in demand title. (I happen to already have a potential buyer, but we'll see.) OBO is part of trying to attract people to something that they're maybe curious about, but not burning to have. Hey, make an offer, you never know.

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Not on CL anymore. It's usually the low price and they want more. Already tried to buy two games for there asking price recently and was turned down only to see it at an even higher price a few weeks later.

i had a local guy with a totan for sale on cl. he wanted trade suggestions or a cash offer starting at 6000. I offered a nice indy 500 and 2500 cash or 6000 cash. he responded with "its on ebay it will sell" no counter offer, no invite to come check it out. I would have bought it for more if he wasn't a d-bag.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

pm me I will give you his info

Oh no way can I afford it. I don't like the whole make offer thing. I just think he knows he's sitting on something expensive and sought after and wants a bidding war.

#83 3 years ago

What I hate is Ebay and Best Offer. So many times I make a reasonable offer on an item and then the seller will counter with $1 less than his original price. If you are not going to accept reasonable offers then don't put the Best Offer on your auction. I actually had one guy counter with a penny less than his listing price. Others will automatically reject offers less than 1% of their asking price.

#84 3 years ago

This is a tactic used by someone who doesn't care it if sells, but will if some unknown offer hits or someone that doesn't know what they have is worth.

1 week later
#86 3 years ago

Make offer = I think it's worth significantly more than market value

Granted, that is assuming there is a market value - there are some rare pins that don't sell often enough to have a market value. If you have something that is uber rare, like a game there are only a few of - examples like Bally Bigfoot, Capcom Kingpin, etc, make an offer can mean I honestly have no idea what it's worth. But, even then, you should have a target price in mind as a seller.

But, that's the exception, not the norm. I know Spirit is a rare game, but it's not *that* rare. There should be a history of Spirits selling. Not as common as your TAF that's on every corner, or a NBA:FB etc - but you should be able to get in the ballpark as to what a Spirit is worth.

Now, we can argue that a game may be worth more to me than it is to anyone else, and if that's the case, I should keep it - but I should still be willing to name a starting price.

I often post a price OBO meaning if you don't like my price, feel free to offer less.

If we're close, often times, I take it.

If we aren't, I wait a day or two or three to see what other offers come in - and if they are all around the same price, I take the first offer because I was clearly off on my asking price, or decide if that is all its worth, I'll keep it.

As a seller, I've found that even if your asking price is fair market value, or even less, there are ALWAYS people who will undercut your price, hoping for a deal - often when the price was already a deal

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Granted, that is assuming there is a market value - there are some rare pins that don't sell often enough to have a market value. If you have something that is uber rare, like a game there are only a few of - examples like Bally Bigfoot, Capcom Kingpin, etc, make an offer can mean I honestly have no idea what it's worth. But, even then, you should have a target price in mind as a seller.
But, that's the exception, not the norm. I know Spirit is a rare game, but it's not *that* rare. There should be a history of Spirits selling. Not as common as your TAF that's on every corner, or a NBA:FB etc - but you should be able to get in the ballpark as to what a Spirit is worth.
Now, we can argue that a game may be worth more to me than it is to anyone else, and if that's the case, I should keep it - but I should still be willing to name a starting price.
I often post a price OBO meaning if you don't like my price, feel free to offer less.
If we aren't, I wait a day or two or three to see what other offers come in - and if they are all around the same price, I take the first offer because I was clearly off on my asking price, or decide if that is all its worth, I'll keep it.
As a seller, I've found that even if your asking price is fair market value, or even less, there are ALWAYS people who will undercut your price, hoping for a deal - often when the price was already a deal

I agree, "make offer" when the game is an A lister it means the guy knows what it's worth and is looking for a big payoff.
Make offer when the game is an everyday non working 80's game means just that, make me any kind of decent offer and it's yours because I don't really know what it's worth.

#88 3 years ago

I offer a $1 and say thanks for the dance. Because that's how I feel when dealing with these types.

#89 3 years ago

oh man i would pay that for it for sure. I just bought a black hole to tide me over though. What would it cost to ship to 14580 in New York? I have a few machines for sale and if they go I would buy this if its still there

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

sounds like a pretty solid assesment

#91 3 years ago

"Or" indicates another option besides the one already stated.

"Best" means the highest dollar amount, from the seller's point of view.

"Offer" means an alternate price from the dollar amount suggested before the "or."

When OBO is used, if any offers are made besides the suggested sale price, the best (highest) one should be accepted by the seller, after some period of time.

Might be higher than the asking price, might be lower. Depends on the demand and on responses to the ad.

This is silly, arguing that it "means" either higher or lower exclusively. It is pretty meaningless, actually, since offers are going to be made regardless of whether "OBO" was used, unless the dreaded "firm" has been invoked.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

"Or" indicates another option besides the one already stated.
"Best" means the highest dollar amount, from the seller's point of view.
"Offer" means an alternate price from the dollar amount suggested before the "or."
When OBO is used, if any offers are made besides the suggested sale price, the best (highest) one should be accepted by the seller, after some period of time.
Might be higher than the asking price, might be lower. Depends on the demand and on responses to the ad.
This is silly, arguing that it "means" either higher or lower exclusively. It is pretty meaningless, actually, since offers are going to be made regardless of whether "OBO" was used, unless the dreaded "firm" has been invoked.

thanks for the breakdown but we are talking about "make offer" not "or best offer" speaking of silly and breakdowns I couldn't help but think of this as I read your tutorial:

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

thanks for the breakdown but we are talking about "make offer" not "or best offer"

Why, yes, you are correct, although OBO had been mentioned. Silly me.

"Make offer" is pretty much the same deal, though it doesn't imply that the highest offer will be accepted. Still could mean higher or lower, if a price was given that is.

YouTube makes you watch ads now so I'm not clicking.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Why, yes, you are correct, although OBO had been mentioned. Silly me.
"Make offer" is pretty much the same deal, though it doesn't imply that the highest offer will be accepted. Still could mean higher or lower, if a price was given that is.
YouTube makes you watch ads now so I'm not clicking.

do it it's worth the 10 second ad!

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

thanks for the breakdown but we are talking about "make offer" not "or best offer" speaking of silly and breakdowns I couldn't help but think of this as I read your tutorial:
» YouTube video

Night Shift is a classic movie. I think it is the first movie that I ever saw Michael Keaton in. Billy Blaze is a great character.

Gord

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I offer a $1 and say thanks for the dance. Because that's how I feel when dealing with these types.

is that a dance with a hand in the rear pocket or without?

#97 3 years ago

Either way you aren't taking anything home.

#98 3 years ago

except the sweet sensation of having your ass grabbed during a slow dance.

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Night Shift is a classic movie. I think it is the first movie that I ever saw Michael Keaton in. Billy Blaze is a great character.
Gord

Hilarious movie....I worked in the theatre when it was showing. Memorized a lot of great lines!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
4,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Groningen, GR
€ 8.40
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 15.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 24.00
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
€ 4.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Multigame
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside