Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dothedoo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

word.jpg
IMG_1529.jpg
offer.jpg

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I'm having a hard time understanding this approach from a seller. There is/was a gottlieb Spirit on mr pinball. Dude sent me pictures and everything but would not give me a price or range. I din't want to be a dbag and low ball him and I really don't know what its worth so I just bagged it. Now I see an Indiana Jones here, same thing. I am relatively new (1.5 years) and have bought 38 machines. Can someone with experience explain this approach to me? My thought is if you want an auction just put it on ebay.

#2 3 years ago

He's just going fishing, hoping to catch the big one. I have never had luck with this type. Take a look at the "a" list games that have been on the market for months with the make offer option.

#3 3 years ago

Make an offer means you know what you have to have out of it but you want the person to offer more by chance or you know what you have in it but are not exactly sure what it is worth. I will only say make me an offer when I know it is worth more than what I have in it but I am not sure what it is actually worth. Sometimes I ask for value on this site for an item. However, if you are trying to find an accurate price for a project this is not the place to look lol. Just shoot him an offer. Worst case scenario is that you still do not have one in the end right?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

He's just going fishing, hoping to catch the big one. I have never had luck with this type. Take a look at the "a" list games that have been on the market for months with the make offer option.

thats kinda how I feel. I dont have time for a bunch of back and forth d-baggery. If you want to sell the f-ing thing give me a price lol...

#5 3 years ago

There's two types of sellers--ones who just want to get rid of it, don't really have a good idea on worth, and will take most reasonable offers. Then you have sellers who are hoping for a desperate buyer willing to offer over top dollar for it.

The worst thing that can happen is for a seller to counter offer or say no.

#6 3 years ago

An inflated sense of what it is worth

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I am relatively new (1.5 years) and have bought 38 machines.

Wow. Unless you've just been flipping them for profit, how about slowing down and enjoying the games a bit more?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There's two types of sellers--ones who just want to get rid of it, don't really have a good idea on worth, and will take most reasonable offers. Then you have sellers who are hoping for a desperate vuyer willing to offer over top dollar.
The worst thing that can happen is for a seller to counter offer or say no.

seems like additional and unnecessary action but this is why I asked. as a seller my goal is to set expectations get the desired results as fast as possible.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I'm having a hard time understanding this approach from a seller. There is/was a gottlieb Spirit on mr pinball. Dude sent me pictures and everything but would not give me a price or range. I din't want to be a dbag and low ball him and I really don't know what its worth so I just bagged it. Now I see an Indiana Jones here, same thing. I am relatively new (1.5 years) and have bought 38 machines. Can someone with experience explain this approach to me? My thought is if you want an auction just put it on ebay.

I wouldn't even make an offer without at least seeing the machine in person.

#10 3 years ago

If you've made 38 separate purchases, I'd say you're seasoned enough to know what to do.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Wow. Unless you've just been flipping them for profit, how about slowing down and enjoying the games a bit more?

i dont have that kinda time lol. i'm not flipping. I bring them in, doll them up, tune them in (or do a full restoration) and play them. we play a LOT of pinball (16-20 hours a week). Once I grow tired or need the space I sell them off. There's only two that I have had for more than a year. Shadow and bsd. They wont be going anywhere for a while.

#12 3 years ago

that's when you don't offer a price and you head over in person and deal there. that's how real deals are done.

#13 3 years ago

If you've gone through 38 games and are keeping Shadow you sound like a smart man to me!

#14 3 years ago

I often put up "make offer" (though I normally will have up a price to help give people a "guide")

Making an offer entails more than a price.

How soon can you pick it up? How will you pay? Do you need help loading? Do you need it shipped? Does the pin need prepped for you/your shipper to pick it up?

Answers to many of the above questions many not change the price for some sellers, but for others it can dramatically change the price they will accept.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's when you don't offer a price and you head over in person and deal there. that's how real deals are done.

1. seems to me that the approach would be the same whether or not you are there in person.
2. there'll be no "heading over" to Oregon from rochester ny.
3. I have done plenty of remote deals with very little disappointment from either party. I used real money to buy and had real games to sell. Used a real shipping company too

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you've gone through 38 games and are keeping Shadow you sound like a smart man to me!

i know you're on an old bally kick Aurich. thats where I'm at right now too. well bally and stern. love those things!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

Making an offer entails more than a price.
How soon can you pick it up? How will you pay? Do you need help loading? Do you need it shipped? Does the pin need prepped for you/your shipper to pick it up?
Answers to many of the above questions many not change the price, but for others it can dramatically change the price they will accept.

understood. there's value assigned to everything involved but I never made it to those parts of the conversation because I didn't feel like dicking around. if there's a good reason to sell that way I get it. You guys have answered the question. my takeaway is just don't bother with those sellers

#18 3 years ago

Just tell them you wouldn't put a price on another persons game. Let them know if they come up with a price to let you know. And walk.

LTG : )™

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I am relatively new (1.5 years) and have bought 38 machines. Can someone with experience explain this approach to me?

You've averaged a game purchase a fortnight and you say you're not experienced!?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just tell them you wouldn't put a price on another persons game. Let them know if they come up with a price to let you know. And walk.

Lloyd presents a great response.

Another option is to provide an actual offer. Before you contact the seller, do your research and figure out what you are willing to pay for the machine based on the shipping cost.

Then submit an offer that is lower, say 20-30% lower. If the seller is serious, then they will start negotiations. If they are not serious, or are "easily offended" by an offer, then you will learn that quick enough that this game is not meant for you.

Good luck with your future purchases!

Marcus

#21 3 years ago

Make him an offer he can't refuse.

offer.jpg

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yup. If you speak first you're either going to undervalue it (in their view) and piss them off, or you'll inadvertently offer way more than they want and end up paying more. I've had a few people try this with me, and I just tell them that if/when they come up with a price, let me know.

#23 3 years ago

If it is a pin that I want I will just tell the seller that "$xxx is the price that will work for me."

I am not saying that "it is worth $xxx" or "I will only pay $xxx". Those are the more jerk ways to make an offer.

If I am close on the price they will usually counter offer or accept. If I am way off the seller will normally just decline.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i know you're on an old bally kick Aurich. thats where I'm at right now too. well bally and stern. love those things!

Wow you've only been in the hobby for 1.5 years and already finding the joy of the early classic ss games. Most newer people just go for the DMD games. Never giving a classic a chance. There are some really good, fun games from 77 to 85 that if you haven't played them you don't know what your missing out on.

#25 3 years ago

OBO is used on here and other sites as an auction. "Buy this TZ $7,500 OBO" and then watch the "offers" really bids roll in.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes, exactly, I've done this many times and often enough what happens is that the seller comes back with a price real fast.....

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

OBO is used on here and other sites as an auction.

Whatever! IDK maybe I see it different than everyone else. I almost always put obo and this is why:

I research to what the "game" is selling for and put a fair market price on it,
I don't know who is reading my post, especially on here. Maybe its not fair but I will sell "games" to people I know cheaper than asshats,
I don't see obo as looking for an "auction", to me its "hey, I want to sell this game for $$$....but I'll probably take less...just ask"

Like I said, maybe I look at it different, wrong, or what ever. But my .02 is obo just shows reading that I am willing to deal!

#28 3 years ago

When an ad says "Make Offer" I don't, I move along, unless it's someone local I know. 9 times out of 10 it's going to be a big waste of your time. The typical response to an offer is, "Well, I have another person that's offered me X for it, are you willing to beat their offer?" So they know what price they are looking for, they are just fishing for getting even more for it.

#29 3 years ago

I hate negotiations, I think it's a millennial thing, we don't like negotiating. I don't see how fielding lowball offers or $1000 above market value OBO asking prices makes anyone happy. I buy games that are priced what I want to pay and wait for sellers willing to pay the prices I set. If it doesn't sell, I'll lower the price until someone pays it, easy.

#30 3 years ago

If it's for sale, with no price tag.....isn't it free?

It can't be for sale if there is no price. Can you imagine going somewhere to buy something and nothing is priced

I have never in my life called on an item with no price.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Whatever! IDK maybe I see it different than everyone else. I almost always put obo and this is why:
I research to what the "game" is selling for and put a fair market price on it,
I don't know who is reading my post, especially on here. Maybe its not fair but I will sell "games" to people I know cheaper than asshats,
I don't see obo as looking for an "auction", to me its "hey, I want to sell this game for $$$....but I'll probably take less...just ask"
Like I said, maybe I look at it different, wrong, or what ever. But my .02 is obo just shows reading that I am willing to deal!

Most of what I sell has a asking price and OBO (cash talks and my wallet listens). I'm not playing a bidding game.
If someone tells me they can be here tomorrow with cash I'm flexible with price. If someone wants it shipped and i have to prepare for shipping and/or spend a day waiting on NAVL to show up at my door I'm not flexible on price.
But what I think the op is talking about is "Make offer" not OBO. The Make offer I usually don't waist my time with.
1) I'm going to offer a low of offer and 2) the seller usually wants to high of a price.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Most of what I sell has a asking price and OBO (cash talks and my wallet listens). I'm not playing a bidding game.
If someone tells me they can be here tomorrow with cash I'm flexible with price. If someone wants it shipped and i have to prepare for shipping and/or spend a day waiting on NAVL to show up at my door I'm not flexible on price.

Center target there, 100%.

Quoted from arcademojo:

But what I think the op is talking about is "Make offer" not OBO. The Make offer I usually don't waist my time with.

Agreed...on both points!

#33 3 years ago

I don't mind negotiations but I prefer them to put up the first price and we go from there. If it's a pin that's clearly in good condition and has been owned by someone who knows pinball I prefer them to have their price because they clearly know what they have. If it's an old beat up game that a families bought 20 years ago and has no idea what it's worth then it's a different story

#34 3 years ago

My favorite part is when you do make an offer, and they get mad at you for the offer you made.

#35 3 years ago

To me "make an offer" means that they don't really want to sell it, but if someone is willing to offer enough money They'll part with it.

#36 3 years ago

Here is my generic ad for any pin in my collection.

"For sale. Make an offer many times above market value. No low-ball offers."

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

For some reason no one ever mentions "high-ball offers".

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Here is my generic ad for any pin in my collection.

I'll take it. I'll send you a blank check and you can just fill in the price!

#39 3 years ago

I usually interpret "make offer" as "I want too much money", and pass.

However, if it's a game I'm really interested in, I could see giving an offer with a range from $x to $y, depending on condition, inspection, etc... That way we can see if we're in the same ball park without wasting too much of anyone's time.

Upside is if the seller is too high and gets enough lower (realistic) offers they might adjust their price for someone down the line.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I'll take it. I'll send you a blank check and you can just fill in the price!

I don't own a single ink pen with enough ink in it. Sorry.

#41 3 years ago

I didn't say everyone that says OBO is looking for bids, I said that is how it's being used. Not by everyone.

Quoted from jwwhite15:

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I don't own a single ink pen with enough ink in it. Sorry.

T000000 many zeros

#43 3 years ago

In my experience, every time I've responded to an ad with a "make offer" price it's been a person who thought it might be worth thousands more than it is and was hoping to find the one guy who would pay it. When I've gotten enough information to make a reasonable assessment as to its value and sent that offer it's always been met with either a "I've seen them on Ebay for $$$" type response or the "I'll burn it before I'll sell it for that" type response.

These days, like others have said, I typically respond with a "if you decide on a price, let me know" and walk away. I've never bought a game from anyone that started with a make offer price.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Just tell him you have cash in hand!

IMG_1529.jpg

#45 3 years ago

Tough machine to put a price on.. I'm restoring/shopping one at the moment and changing all the boards to Swemmer ones. I intend to sell it eventually as it isn't on my holy grail list and I wouldn't have a clue how to price it, from looking on here it seems like $6500USD+ would be about accurate for a Spirit but it's hard to know if you're either low balling yourself or ripping off others.

I guess it comes down to the age old adage that it is worth however much someone is willing to pay.

#46 3 years ago

When you name a number first in negotiations, you have already lost. Sorry, just how it is. Same with salary negotiations really.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

When you name a number first in negotiations, you have already lost. Sorry, just how it is. Same with salary negotiations really.

The art of selling. The person that speaks first, loses. Tom Hopkins.

#48 3 years ago

I like putting in low offers on that stuff. For funsies...

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I usually interpret "make offer" as "I want too much money", and pass.

Totally. If someone won't name a price I don't bother making an offer. I'd rather hear the unrealistic price they want, make a counter and call it a day if they don't like it. Quick, simple, respectful. Not wishy washy jerk arounds.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I am relatively new (1.5 years) and have bought 38 machines.

Um...f**k the rest of this topic and thread. Can we just discuss this and how, exactly, you've pulled this off?

Surely, you're not married. At least, not anymore.

And I thought I had problems.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.40
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
4,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Groningen, GR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside