P_20161111_203221 (resized).jpg
kiss-what-you-get_(resized).jpg
Custom_Image1.jpg
Custom_Image.jpg
STERN-PINBALL-WHERESTHECODE-GOMEZ-HULK.png
stern-pinball-swisscheese-avengers.jpg
stern-pinball-avengers-code-requests.jpg
wheresthecode-stern-pinball-donate-twd.jpg
Wildfire_Pinball_by_Parker_Brothers,_Copyright_1979_(LED_Handheld_Electronic_Game).jpg
x-men-wolverine-sternpinball.jpg
x-men-vs-spiderman-sternpinball.jpg
avengers-rip.jpg
ST_GettingUpdates.png
wheresthecode-wwe-update-stern-pinball.jpg
wheresthecode-stern-pinball-walkaing-dead-carl.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 9 years ago

Is there not enough threads belly aching about code? I'm pretty sure Stern has got the message. You do have a choice on what pin you buy. Stern does do updates so accept that's how things work. If Stern simplified the rules, modes, and depth then the code would be easier to get solid out of the box. If that was the case, everyone would be belly aching that there is not enough code. The other solution would be to increase the production time for each pin. That would mean higher costs, fewer sales, and then the same belly aching that it takes too long to get a pin out. It doesn't matter who it is - Stern, JJP, DP, or whoever - people are complaining about one thing or another.

2 weeks later
#470 9 years ago

I've been following this thread as well as others like it. I get the frustration but all the jokes, rantings, and demands sound more like fanboy tantrums than anything else. I know there are some legitimate bugs and parts of games unused but those are rare from what I can see. Most what I see is people expecting better code, better scoring, and more features for all Stern games made in the past 5 years. Who decides when code is completed or how to define what that means?

#523 9 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

I would say it is very clear and doesn't need someone to define it when:
-TWD is released in september 2014 and now 4 months later, the main inserts which are the WIZARD MODES are STILL not coded and just do NOTHING (I mean the modes do not even start when you get there).
I mean that is just wrong. It is like playing football without a goal.
4 months (even less) are just TOO LONG!

I think you are over exaggerating. My whole point was that people are treating an unused insert as a major bug. It's poor designing but not necessarily "broken" code that interrupts the game. There are threads after threads about the broken code in ST. Yet, I have only heard about one bug that interferes with the game. While I am not an advanced player, I have played a ton of games on my ST and had no issues. My old Getaway is full of bugs - weird scoring, multiball on 1 lock, and the game often gets regular multiball mixed up with the wizard mode. I would love code improvements to ST but I don't think the code is at the point where you grab the torches and pitchforks. If the idea is not to preorder a Stern then good. Make sure the game is satisfactory before you buy it. Buying the game and then demanding updates does not make sense to me.

#540 9 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I just bought Metallica because I enjoyed the layout & the code is good/finished. I had the discipline to do so because I'm not a Metallica fan.
A Star Trek or Walking Dead fan sees a game who's theme they love, has hope when they see other finished games, buys it.
Then the wait is on, did I just buy a game that will be finished or not? Who knows?
Maybe Stern will communicate what to expect? No...
Are there other people like me who are waiting? YES...
Communication goes a VERY long way, this thread is as much about communication as it is about code.
I could have bought a ST for cheaper than a NIB Metallica, but I didn't even though I like the ST theme better. Short answer was code.
I bought TWD (after they announced the premium) because I really like the theme and have high hopes that because the game was so popular they rolled out a Premium. Which in my mind meant a high chance that it would get finished code. If it doesn't I bet & lost...

In other words, you bought the game you liked best. I played Metallica and did not care for it. I played ST and loved it. I liked it so much I bought it even though I am not a big Star Trek fan. You expect Stern to say that the code is bad so don't buy their product? That's completely unrealistic. There is no guessing about what a pin looks like or how it plays. Do you buy a car without a test drive or a home without an inspection? There is no gamble unless you preorder sight unseen.

#594 9 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

This is more like I test drove two cars that I liked but I chose the one that I knew drove over 40mph. The other one might one day have the ability to, but I didn't know if that will ever happen because the manufacturer doesn't answer any of my questions.

You make it sound like Stern sells games that don't function as a pinball game should. A car that can't drive over 40mph would be obvious. That is why you test drive them and not try to guess whether it can go the speeds you need. If a pin is missing key features you expect then that should be obvious as well. If a pin or a car cannot function as needed, then don't buy it. Using the car analogy again, this whole thread is about people buying a car based on what the salesman says and not from actually test driving the car.

#619 9 years ago
Quoted from Philk:

So you're test driving this car in December, come July you turn on the A/C and it doesn't work. There's a button for it, says right in front of you horde, I mean A/C but no A/C. You would be ok with that because that's something you should have figured out in Decemeber?
I would think most companies are held to a standard of providing what they are advertising. If the scoring is out of wack, or there aren't voiceovers from the actual show that's one thing, but completely missing modes which are present on the playfield is just silly. Ohhh you wanted 4 power windows, well here's 2 rears, the other 2 "are coming".

There is a huge difference between something not working and something non-existent. If your car is supposed to have AC and it doesn't work then that is a fault. That is not what we are talking about so c'mon. We are talking about expectations and reality. If you expect certain features then you better make sure they exist before buying a game. IMO, you should judge a game for what it has and not what it does not have. Personally, I don't care if my ST is missing something because I like it as is. If improvements are made in an update then I will be even more pleased.

#637 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

My AC in my SUV won't work on a few settings. I took it to the dealership and they said it was a software issue. They fixed the software issue and now it works.
True story.

LOL - exact same thing happened to me, too. I new something was not right with the AC during the test drive but bought the car anyways. My excuse was I needed something quick because the other car was dead and I was in the middle of a move but it was my decision. The AC would work properly if you fiddled with the knobs just right. Eventually it was fixed with software but still unhappy about it.

I still don't think that is a fair analogy. We are talking about missing features, not broken features. If the flippers did not work right or magnet features did not function then that would be an issue. Expecting another multiball mode or some other game play feature is all subjective. Code can always be improved, dots added to display, and features added. At one point is it "complete"?

3 weeks later
#1054 9 years ago

I think some of you need to take a step back and think before vomiting on your keyboard. I get the frustration but some are taking things way too far. I think it is obvious that operating a profitable pinball manufacturing business in this day and age is difficult. Resources are limited and compromises have to be made. Code can be whatever Stern decides it will be. They decide when code is "complete". Everyone here has their own idea of what is "complete" and it is impossible to satisfy everyone. What we all want is the best game possible. In some cases, the best game possible is how it sits right now. Thus, if you are unhappy with a game in any way or don't want to take the risk then don't buy it. If a title does not sell well, Stern will have to figure out why and do better. That's the only way to go about it.

#1080 9 years ago

Unused flashers is hardly a "bug" and definitely not a priority to stop production on new games to address. If Stern puts a giant monkey with a flasher up it's butt in every game and doesn't use it, that's their choice. You can call it a bad choice, a bug, bad business, or whatever. Expectations are just that - expectations. Putting down $8k or $9k for a LE does not grant you those expectations. You buy the product Stern is selling good or bad.

#1159 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'm normally not this blunt but.... You are really talking out of your ass here on this particular portion of the topic.
If the "feature" is on this list (attached) that is still published on Sterns website then it's not a choice to add/fix. Technically I guess it could be a choice but then it would give every Prem/LE owner the right to sue for false advertisement and/or a bait and switch. heck, at this point I'm sure any Prem/LE owner could technically go after them today and easily win a settlement for the above. You can't tell someone there product will include ____ and not provide that without disclosing the fact it wont be there until ____ or ever.
I'll agree that Stern has no requirement to make changes to modes and other things that we find as bugs but to even argue the point that the flasher that are on the feature list don't have to be added is just crazy talk.
Untitled.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I don't buy a pinball machine because of a "list" written somewhere or a theme. The idea that people would get so bent out of shape over a flasher bulb is beyond me. Trying to compare this to car sold without an engine or such just makes it even more ridiculous. Pinball machines don't have a strict guideline of how they are supposed to be built. We are talking about games. Each game is different and Stern gets to decide how they are built and how they play. Code can be whatever they want it to be and it can change with an update. Would you be upset if Stern added a feature that is not on the list? Of course, not. If you feel they are selling games with false advertising, then by all means talk to a lawyer.

1 month later
#1778 9 years ago

I don't need to get into all this again but I think a lot of people are being unfair. If a good game takes years to develop the code and 3 new games are developed every year, it's obvious that coding games is difficult and some games are not going to get "finished". Demanding that programmers dedicate their entire lives, take time away from family, and make personal sacrifices to deliver code (for a game) to your satisfaction is beyond reasonable. If they don't, then you accuse them of not caring or not being dedicated? That's really insulting if you ask me. How about not buying the d@mn game if you are not satisfied with the code?

#1813 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Agreed. If you can't finish 3 games a year then maybe they shouldn't be producing 3 games a year.

No. Stern can produce whatever game they want to in any way they want to. It is your choice on whether to buy one. I just don't understand the concept of buying a game that is not up to par and then getting upset about it. If nobody buys their games, then Stern might change how they produce games.

#1820 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

For all the posts saying that people are complaining that ST is too complicated...
You are taking things too literally.
Its not too complicated for collectors or pinheads. I think its one of the best recent games. With deep rules.
But for my friends that are not into pinball. ( they Like it, but dont own any) They get lost on what needs to be done to get the higher scores. They think it looks and sounds awesome and are amazed at what it does, watching when I play it.
They gravitate to IM and my pinbot. As they are simple to understand.
No one is complaining that ST is too complex. And needs to be dumbed down.
Just stating the facts that there is so much to do and so many ways to do it that it is hard for new players to grasp.
And no one is saying its a bad thing. If they were more into the rules than just getting hitting the ship. They would like it even more.
The operator I know just doesn't like the fact that he has to keep moving it from location to location so it keeps earning. As it slows down after a bit and the older pins with less difficulty keep earning, or earn more.
He thinks its because of the difficulty it poses to non pinball people.

I think I get what you are saying. I have people over that know nothing about pinball and struggle with fundamentals. Explaining the rules is meaningless because all they are concentrating on is keeping the ball in play. Everything is confusing from ball locks, to bonus multipliers, and modes. Stating that one pin is more confusing than another pin is kind of meaningless with people like that.

People that know a little bit about pinball and play without just hitting both flippers at the same time constantly, should be able to figure out what shots to take based on what is lit. That is pinball 101. ST main criticism is that the rules are too straight forward and all the modes are the same - hit lit ramps. It's a popular game and big success for Stern. Not sure how that all translates to a difficult pin that nobody wants to play.

#1839 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

So there are only a few answers.
Buy NIB, New Game release, with unfinished code, and repeat this thread and angst over and over.
Or
Wait...Vote with your wallet.

That makes too much sense. I think the general idea is to buy first and ask questions later.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-jan-31st-stern-code-post-day?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.