P_20161111_203221 (resized).jpg
kiss-what-you-get_(resized).jpg
Custom_Image1.jpg
Custom_Image.jpg
STERN-PINBALL-WHERESTHECODE-GOMEZ-HULK.png
stern-pinball-swisscheese-avengers.jpg
stern-pinball-avengers-code-requests.jpg
wheresthecode-stern-pinball-donate-twd.jpg
Wildfire_Pinball_by_Parker_Brothers,_Copyright_1979_(LED_Handheld_Electronic_Game).jpg
x-men-wolverine-sternpinball.jpg
x-men-vs-spiderman-sternpinball.jpg
avengers-rip.jpg
ST_GettingUpdates.png
wheresthecode-wwe-update-stern-pinball.jpg
wheresthecode-stern-pinball-walkaing-dead-carl.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#430 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Why in the world would anyone have a fear of that?
Stern does not sell games direct. You have to go through a distributor.
And why would they "Do something back"? A business is not going to attack its customers.

Yeah a pinball manufacturer threatening legal action agains people who have actually dropped cash on one of their games is TOTALLY unthinkable; even it has been alleged to happen on occasion...

#479 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

How long have you worked for Stern?

Honestly, that's what I was thinking too

Let's see... just roll over there little one. No need to sweat that we sold you an incomplete toy for $5-8K... just buy the next one!

The most productive thing to do is sit on your wallet. No more of this "Dream Theme" BS.

Secondary to that, making people aware on social media and in the forums in general is at least better than rewarding bad behaviour.

Honestly, compiling a manifesto of exactly what bugs/code tweaks need to be done for recent releases (last 3-4 years?) and keeping it up to date with dates of most recent code revision etc. seems like it might be an idea.

If the ST potato flashers are still not working in game, that says all you need to say about the level of dedication of Stern as a company to finishing code when they feel they do not have to.

Whining about AC/DC, and WoF, is not productive IMHO for different reasons.

AC/DC is considered a top game, yes it is weird that there are playfield inserts that do nothing, and it SHOULD be fixed, but IF it is great as is I would not want filler modes junking up things just to satisfy them being used. Maybe dream up some cannon modes that would make sense, and fire them off to Stern? Or beter yet create a thread to generate group ideas if you feel passionate about it?

WoF is dead; anybody being a crybaby about buying an unfinished game and using this as an example needs to have a reality check or do more research before buying a game that costs thousands. It is a well known example, it means yes future games such as TWD COULD suffer a similar fate. Deal with it and sit on your wallet, it is not complicated.

#485 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It's not fair to the buying public who spend $7700 on STLE to see it not complete. (XM or AV or whatever else they are not finished with the code.)

I agree, but life is not always fair. I mean we are discussing 8K toys with a few missing animations in a world where people are dying as they don't have access to clean water. It could be said "that's not fair".

The best way to make sure you do not end up at the unfair end of this transaction is to NOT do it until you are happy with the product.

#sitonyourwalletyouspendynumbnut

#488 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I agree.
However, bringing this somewhat off topic. If I gave all my excess money to fighting poverty, it would not make a lot of difference. Lets say there are a Billion+ who are very poor, taking all my excess money would buy them less than one tic-tac each.
I am not responsible for the poor people in the world (I don't think). I was super lucky to be born where and when I was. But I don't think it's fair to blame me or any of us here for poor or starving people. I do pay a lot of taxes which helps a lot of less fortunate people (in theory).

Agreed to a point, I just try to ground myself in reality when I complain about something. These are toys, not life and death. Life and death problems actually exist in the world.

At the end of the day it is NOT wrong to expect to get what you pay for. But if a person is pissing money away on unfinished crap and crying about it, there are many other uses for that money.

#496 9 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

That's why it's the perfect candidate to allow the user community to get the source code and finish it. Everyone wins if we had hope that some day code would be released to the public domain to work on.

I appreciate the sentiment, but based on my knowledge of SOME pinball collector tastes within a day of posting the source code the "Vanna strips" mode would have been added, and that would go over REAL well with the license owners

#498 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

That's a good point. And I could see that happening, is vanna even hot anymore? I haven't seen that show since around 1985 when I was a kid

Hot or not in one person's opinion, at a resolution of 128x32 it is the thought that counts. And if I thought of it in 5 seconds, I am sure that it just the tip of the iceberg:

NSFW (and not safe for my house IMO ) translite link:
ebay.com link: Wheel of Fortune Pinball Alternate Translite NEW ART With adult versions

1 week later
#655 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The mini wizard mode Horde, the wizard mode Last Man Standing and the Woodbury Rules are the glaring deficiencies.

So, ~ 40% of the rules are missing 6 months or so after launch? Brilliant

Why people would keep giving their monies over for the next game when the prior one is sitting their incomplete is mind boggling.

Keep up the good job spreading the (unfortunately) pathetic word...

2 weeks later
#709 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

As opposed to all the positive help and support you've provided to this hobby.

My thoughts exactly, pretty weaksauce line of thinking.

1 month later
#1497 9 years ago

Take your blinders off, not EVERY b/w game is complete/bug free. Cactus canyon? CCC would not have been such a big deal if the game was finished.

Bug free? For STTNG I just found out about a bug in the time rift mode, and I have had the game more than a decade.

Stern has pushed the limits certainly, but I would not be harping particulary hard on games like AC/DC. Yes, some recent releases have been atrociously supported. But as I and others have pointed out, vote with your wallets (I think almost everybody is on board with that).

This movement also will hopefully keep the message up:

your beta unfinished code is costing sales

It is too easy for Stern to say "I guess games X, Y, and Z are duds" rather than "our customers our sick of beta testing our $5-10K toys".

#1652 9 years ago
Quoted from trickpony:

Well, it isn't really Nimoy's voice on ST is it?

Cue desperate "but what I really meant to say is..." in 3...2...1...

2 weeks later
#1854 8 years ago

I think some of the sour grapes of people who have games that actually have fairly heavily reworked code at this point is it is hard to come to terms with owning a game that is just not as good as you had hoped.

Easy to brag about how ST (or X-Men or whatever...) will be the best game ever when it is something you are in the honeymoon phase with, and you are looking forward to several code updates. They'll fix ALL the flaws and make it into the next LoTR/SM/MM !

Fast forward a few years and the game is no longer the newest and shiniest, and reality sets in that you own an average-ish game that you paid premium prices for.

For some people that leads to banging relentessly on the code as an escape from dealing with this reality. I am not sure the only thing holding Avengers from being a solid top 10 game is a few bugs. It would be nice if they were fixed, but I would rather they focus on more recent releases given there staff has only finite time to work in a day.

And as always just buy the damn games once they are finished and stop doing this to yourselves!

#1861 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

ST owners and TWD owners have every right to complain.
And keep complaining until the games are finished.
ST is NOT done. No matter how much better people think it is now.
It still has many bugs and things missing.
TWD, well... I feel sorry for those still waiting. It needs code ASAP!
However, I have no problem with other games that still need it getting worked on before ST.
To say that people are happy with how ST is now and its ok if it stayed like it is. They obviously don't care about wanting the best game possible for their money.
Thats crazy talk!

I don't think it is irrational to want the best game for your money. The fact is not every game is going to be "the best game" though. Even if you endlessly iterate the code.

Yes, as a pinball fan I want every game to be better than it currently is, even if just a bit.

But I don't expect Stern to be endlessly tinkering with the code either years after release.

Their job is to hype a game and get you to buy it. Then do it again in 3-4 months. Your job as a consumer is to not fall for this endless cycle. Don't buy a game on faith that it will be done to your satisfaction. Buy a game that IS ACTUALLY done to your satisfaction. I hear there is more than just the last few years of NIB to pick from when you are a buyer.

#1863 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Stern has already stated in response to questions that its getting more updates. When, who knows?
But it will get the final bug fixes etc. Eventually.
So to be happy with it as is, is crazy.
Its NOT done yet. Stern knows it, owners know it. Stern has said so.
To deny the facts is irrational.

I am not talking about just ST; to make it just about ST is irrational

It is more of a philosophy, my philosophy. IF ST gets even better, that is better for me as a pinball fan.

I am grateful. IF Stern does this for every title, so much the better.

But I am not going to be in a situation where I am relying on hope to polish what may end up being a 10K turd. Others like to roll the dice, booey for them.

#1868 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Galactic ramps dont score 100% of the time or light.
Galactic spinner doesnt light.
Nero 2 has a timer bug that sometimes makes no shots available to make. And still shows a timer on the DMD. That doest exist. You sometimes can't complete the mode Until you start the mode again after draining.
Sounds missing in animations still. Starting klingon battle 2 right after 1 sometimes no sound fx is played with animation.
Klingon multiball causes some wierd issues while in modes. And finishing them. Also shots towards medals regestering bugs during klingon multiball mode stacking.
Sounds are still all over the place volume wise.
+ there is scoring bugs and more.
But according to some thats "good enough" as is.... F that. It can, and should be fixed.
And Stern has said they will update again. So saying its ok to leave it is the stupidest thing I'Ve ever heard.

Honestly, the goofiest thing I have heard is putting yourself in a position where you shell out this much for a toy and *hope* you pick one that is somehow eventually finished to your liking.

Yes, these should be debugged. Yes it is nice if it happens. But I agree with the heart of this movement which is "buy a game with completed code". Anything else is on you after a point for putting hope ahead of your cash and buying a game years(!) before it is supposedly done.

edit: And yes, this sort of discussion is definitely a negative for the hobby. There is no way two hobbiests should really be going for the throat over how big a sin it is that a game might be made better. At the end of the day, we all agree yes it is awesome that good games can be improved.

I think there is just disagreement on how much responsibility rests on the buyer for expecting "too much" or parting with their cash before the product is finished to their liking.

#1872 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I agree buy when done. EVERYONE GETS THAT! That horse is beaten to death.
ST was my first Stern and NIB purchase. I only ever had williams pins before and did not know about the code issues. Because all I read here on pinside was either Stern fanboys or Williams fanboys argueing on which is better.
So I did not read any deeper into it as the politics of pinside are B.S.
I bought ST oct 2013. It keeps getting better and better but it is NOT finished yet.
EVERYONE including Stern knows it.
This whole code issue, and Pinsides politics has extremely soured me on Stern pins. And soured me about Pinside as of late. I will not be buying right away again. Or maybe never buying another Stern at all. I hate the way they do business. And how they are now expecting more money for less product and quality.
It is just mainly bugs left on ST. I get that.
But if stern says its getting fixes at least I know that Steve wants his game the best it can be.
I agree with that. And thats what I hoped would happen after such a long wait. And promises of greatness.
Maybe it will finally be complete some time this year.
I also hope TWD owners get the game they paid for eventually. Sooner than later.

Basically we are 100% in agreement; I am unsurprised. I had the luxury of playing my games for about an hour today (wife and kids out of the house!). They are still fun. Even with the (not completely unfounded) crapfest online of late.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-jan-31st-stern-code-post-day?tu=bc_gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.