P_20161111_203221 (resized).jpg
kiss-what-you-get_(resized).jpg
Custom_Image1.jpg
Custom_Image.jpg
STERN-PINBALL-WHERESTHECODE-GOMEZ-HULK.png
stern-pinball-swisscheese-avengers.jpg
stern-pinball-avengers-code-requests.jpg
wheresthecode-stern-pinball-donate-twd.jpg
Wildfire_Pinball_by_Parker_Brothers,_Copyright_1979_(LED_Handheld_Electronic_Game).jpg
x-men-wolverine-sternpinball.jpg
x-men-vs-spiderman-sternpinball.jpg
avengers-rip.jpg
ST_GettingUpdates.png
wheresthecode-wwe-update-stern-pinball.jpg
wheresthecode-stern-pinball-walkaing-dead-carl.jpg
There are 2,075 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 42.
#651 9 years ago

This should get me started thanks LesManley

#652 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

This should get me started thanks LesManley

The mini wizard mode Horde, the wizard mode Last Man Standing and the Woodbury Rules are the glaring deficiencies.

#653 9 years ago

Can someone summarize a list of bugs and missing features for TWD and ST?

So the guy starting this revolt owns one Stern machine (with complete code) and doesn't even know what the bugs or missing features are on current titles? Brilliant.

#654 9 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

So the guy starting this revolt owns one Stern machine (with complete code) and doesn't even know what the bugs or missing features are on current titles? Brilliant.

Someone had to start it instead of hearing everyone on here bitch about code and do absolutely nothing about it. Yes I only own one Stern machine at the moment. I don't pretend to know everything and I want to have the fact straight. Is that such a bad thing?

#655 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The mini wizard mode Horde, the wizard mode Last Man Standing and the Woodbury Rules are the glaring deficiencies.

So, ~ 40% of the rules are missing 6 months or so after launch? Brilliant

Why people would keep giving their monies over for the next game when the prior one is sitting their incomplete is mind boggling.

Keep up the good job spreading the (unfortunately) pathetic word...

#656 9 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Except, it shouldn't even be a discussion to begin with. The fact that you actually have to think about which features are missing puts a burden on the paying customer, and Stern's efforts to hide these flaws are working to some effect. It's a darn shame... not just with Stern, but with other manufacturers as well. In case you missed it I made an analogy to the home video game market earlier:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-jan-31st-stern-code-post-day/page/4#post-2209962

#657 9 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Well, who do you want to start it? The people who continue to buy unfinished games, the ones who are actually causing the problem?

#658 9 years ago

I find it funny that folks like DrJoe have the most to benrfit from this (considering they have serval stern machines) and yet they bitch at others who are trying to help. The OP got tired of all the various complaints and creates one thread to discuss the problem and create a campaign to make the issue known. What's more important is that he's also taking the time to help with visuals and organizing places to spread the word, hopefully this will get some positive results, but hey, maybe it's just easier to post sarcastic observations at those trying to help. Surely that has always improved the situation right?

To the OP, gr at job keep it up. Please continue to make sure people do appreciate and support the designers and programmers who work so hard to complete their code.

#659 9 years ago

Refresh... for a change...
stern-ironman-wheresthecode.jpgstern-ironman-wheresthecode.jpg

#660 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

I find it funny that folks like DrJoe have the most to benrfit from this (considering they have serval stern machines) and yet they bitch at others who are trying to help. The OP got tired of all the various complaints and creates one thread to discuss the problem and create a campaign to make the issue known. What's more important is that he's also taking the time to help with visuals and organizing places to spread the word, hopefully this will get some positive results, but hey, maybe it's just easier to post sarcastic observations at those trying to help. Surely that has always improved the situation right?
To the OP, gr at job keep it up. Please continue to make sure people do appreciate and support the designers and programmers who work so hard to complete their code.

Glad to amuse you. I don't feel this is a good approach, publically bashing a company. I have sent Stern plenty of emails over the years listing code bugs and missing features. My emails have always been responded to professionally and the code eventually comes. I wish it came faster too, but that doesn't seem to be realistic.

Turning potential new would-be customers off to pinball doesn't seem like something that will help the "situation" in my opinion. Pinball rules are more complex than ever. This is a good thing. So let's all publicly bash the only company making multiple games every year. Like I said, I disagree with this approach. I also find it quite ironic that the individual passing out the pitchforks and creating memes all day long doesn't even know first-hand what's missing from the games he's complaining about. Perhaps he hasn't even played then. If I'm Stern, that's not the guy I'm trying to appease.

#661 9 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Turning potential new would-be customers off to pinball doesn't seem like something that will help the "situation" in my opinion.

Ok Joe, what do you suggest? I'm open to opinions here.

#662 9 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Glad to amuse you. I don't feel this is a good approach, publically bashing a company. I have sent Stern plenty of emails over the years listing code bugs and missing features. My emails have always been responded to professionally and the code eventually comes. I wish it came faster too, but that doesn't seem to be realistic.
Turning potential new would-be customers off to pinball doesn't seem like something that will help the "situation" in my opinion. Pinball rules are more complex than ever. This is a good thing. So let's all publicly bash the only company making multiple games every year. Like I said, I disagree with this approach. I also find it quite ironic that the individual passing out the pitchforks and creating memes all day long doesn't even know first-hand what's missing from the games he's complaining about. Perhaps he hasn't even played then. If I'm Stern, that's not the guy I'm trying to appease.

Do you think the original poster is just making up Memes off the top of his head?
You do not have to own a machine to listen to those that do who talk about them on these boards every single day.
Plus, this thing has gotten as big as it has because lots of people agree with it.
Just because you do not does not make you correct.

#663 9 years ago

I'm not trying to be negative or purposefully argumentative. I just feel it's easy to sling mud from the sidelines at just about any situation. I've always preferred a more direct, personal approach opposed to a public lynching (direct emails and/or phone calls regarding specifics of one particular game).

Read through all of these posts and just about every game ever made is "incomplete" in someone's mind. Sweeping generalizations of "incomplete code" for every game ever made won't help code get done faster. Look what Lyman has done with AC/DC and Metallica. Amazing rules on each of these games despite being creating in close time proximity with one another. Patience allowed these rules to develop and be play-tested and tweaked. It would be a shame to cave in to the "I have to have it all right away" mentality and make games with simpler code that are "complete" but boring or imbalanced.

#664 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Do you think the original poster is just making up Memes off the top of his head?
You do not have to own a machine to listen to those that do who talk about them on these boards every single day.
Plus, this thing has gotten as big as it has because lots of people agree with it.
Just because you do not does not make you correct.

No one is "correct". These are opinions and I'm expressing mine. I realize I'm in the minority.

#665 9 years ago

At first I realized I was a bit harsh so that's why I added the line.
"Make a small pinball purchase. Buy a game with completed code"

Now the kicker with that is to determined which game is considered complete. I've never said not to buy Stern, just buy games that are finished. And true some of the games on this list are close to complete. It would just take Stern the effort to finish them.

WWE - Not complete
The Walking Dead - Not complete
Mustang - don't know
Start Trek - Not complete
Metallica - Unsure - but leaning towards complete or polishing
AC/DC - If they could just program those damn cannon modes I would say complete
Avengers - Not complete
Ironman - Complete
Transformers - Complete
X-men - Not complete
Tron - Complete

So in the last 5 years... I would say only 3-4 games are fully complete. Now it's not my fault Stern decides to prioritize future clients with pinball sales...then to make efforts to finish their already existing products.

I say they should do both! Short of that they are missing the mark!

DrJoe, I get what you are saying...I really do. But I feel the direct approach as gotten people nowhere.

#666 9 years ago

just curious DrJoe, whats your purpose for posting here, if you don't agree with this. Though I do appreciate reading your comment on your emails to Stern and I agree, their programmers are making an effort to complete code. Though, an argument could be made that if the terms "Premium, and Limited Edition are being used and they can charge an additional 2500 - 3500 they should be able to sell a game with complete code out of the box with minor revisions to update bugs ect...

#667 9 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

No one is "correct". These are opinions and I'm expressing mine. I realize I'm in the minority.

I agree.

#668 9 years ago

just curious DrJoe, whats your purpose for posting here, if you don't agree with this. Though I do appreciate reading your comment on your emails to Stern and I agree, their programmers are making an effort to complete code. Though, an argument could be made that if the terms "Premium, and Limited Edition are being used and they can charge an additional 2500 - 3500 they should be able to sell a game with complete code out of the box with minor revisions to update bugs ect...

I'm just a pinball enthusiast and I'm happy that new games are being made. I and am constantly impressed with the creativity shown by the coders, despite taking a lot of time to polish off games.

This approach just struck me as unnecessarily negative towards the only company cranking out games so I chimed in.

#669 9 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Turning potential new would-be customers off to pinball doesn't seem like something that will help the "situation" in my opinion.

It's not that black or white. He's not turning off new buyers to pinball - he's educating them that if you buy the newest Stern, it will have incomplete code. I think it's better that consumers have an informed choice.

#670 9 years ago

Mustang - I've heard this is mostly complete.

AC/DC - As an owner, I'm going to say this is 98% done. I'd like to see more done with the saucer behind the bell (LE/PRrem) and maybe some more polish for the lower playfield.

#671 9 years ago

WWE, TWD and WoF: not complete.
Mustang, Star Trek: bug fixes and perhaps some code tweaks (although not incomplete).
Everything else: complete.

#672 9 years ago

WWE - Not complete
Mustang - Polishing
AC/DC - 95%
Avengers - Not complete (missing animations and some promised features)
Ironman - Complete
Transformers - Complete
X-men - Not complete
Tron - Complete

So that brings the total to 5-6 depending on what you consider complete.

Dr. Joe I also think alot of people got pissed off seing Stern cranking out ACDC Led Pro / Luci and not devoting time to finish the cannon modes...

Again everyone as an opinion, yours is just as valid. It depends which side of the coin you are looking at.

#673 9 years ago

Add:
WPT - Complete (and great!)

Specific comments:

WoF - Incomplete but who cares? I'll never reach the final Wizard mode without removing the glass anyway. I am seriously considering buying that game despite incomplete code and cheesy theme.

ST - Already good but could be even better. Could end up being one of the greatest Sterns (but do something with these animations which I find truly bad...)

#674 9 years ago

ST is not complete. It's got a lot more to do than just bug fixes. Heck, many of the advertised features on the Prem and LE don't work at all during gameplay yet (asteroid flashers for example).

#675 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

ST is not complete. It's got a lot more to do than just bug fixes. Heck, many of the advertised features on the Prem and LE don't work at all during gameplay yet (asteroid flashers for example).

Is the captain's chair mode implemented yet? I have yet to see how the flashing insert indicated anything but a flash after completing 3 in a row.
The asteroid and the sling flashers don't work in gameplay.

Publicly bashing this company is certainly justified. They knowing release incomplete code... on purpose... knowing they have no process in place to ensure EACH machine gets the development time to complete the game. TBH; I'd personally be ok with a parital game code release to get the game out the door... but ONLY if they had a track record of actually assigning developers to a given game; WITH set code deadlines and indicators. So that within 6mths; the game is complete. But they won't do that... All they want to do is say "soon" and then put resources on the newest game in the development pipeline.

The result is most games NEVER see completed code.

Personally; I think even picket lines at Pinball shows is the only way to really be heard. When Gary talks; that line needs to be in the room.

#676 9 years ago

So I'm really looking into picking up a metallica pro. Of course I'm looking through this thread and checking for any known code issues.

One great thing about this thread is its nice to have one place where someone can go and have info up to date.

Might be great to have a thread just for a list of games with complete code. And what's still waiting for finished code (and that code not finished) maybe the op can add it to his first post or create another thread just for that.

At any rate, I've always said that criticism isn't bad as long as it's honest, objective and followed by a message of what you do appreciate.

But I can also say that anyone looking into purchasing a machine should do their research (and hopefully one day customers wouldn't need to when buying a nib pinball machine, after all they are the ones paying the premium and actually supporting the company).

#677 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Is the captain's chair mode implemented yet? I have yet to see how the flashing insert indicated anything but a flash after completing 3 in a row.

According to the playfield printing, Captain's Chair lights after '3 in a row'. The brochure mentions Captain's Chair wizard modes and those only happen after all level 1, 2 or 3 missions are respectively completed. In other words, I think Stern messed up the playfield printing and it should have never said to light 3 in a row for the Captain's Chair. As it stands, Captain's Chair just indicates a super mode is lit or that a wizard mode is ready. I would rather see it not light up after 3 in a row because there's other lighting indicators for those super modes.

Rob

#678 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

ST - Already good but could be even better. Could end up being one of the greatest Sterns (but do something with these animations which I find truly bad...)

Some animations are really good, some not so good. I saw an interview where it was stated there were different people working on the dots and I think it shows in the inconsistent quality. Space Jump does not show the whole animation where the red shirt dies and the PD3 opening animation plays way too fast. Plus many level 2 missions animations have no sound like they were never finished.

Rob

#679 9 years ago

WWE - Not complete
Mustang - Polishing
AC/DC - 95%
Avengers - Not complete (missing animations and some promised features)
Ironman - Complete
Transformers - Complete
X-men - Not complete
Tron - Complete
Dr. Joe I also think alot of people got pissed off seing Stern cranking out ACDC Led Pro / Luci and not devoting time to finish the cannon modes...
Again everyone as an opinion, yours is just as valid. It depends which side of the coin you are looking at.

Wwe - looks awesome
TWD- awesome even with unfinished code
Mustang - fun and exciting even with more code to come
St - damn fine game
Metallica - speaks for itself
Avengers - awesome and fun
All the others completed - yep fun and great games. We,l done Stern keep up the great efforts in putting out quality titles

#680 9 years ago

stern-hungry-zombie-wheresthecode.jpgstern-hungry-zombie-wheresthecode.jpg

#681 9 years ago

I couldn't help but think of this while playing recently.

20150217_134852.jpg20150217_134852.jpg
#682 9 years ago

stern-missing-code-milk-carton.jpgstern-missing-code-milk-carton.jpg

#683 9 years ago

I guess we need to start doing holiday theme ones ahead of each new holiday. Might even make it to xmas at this rate. St. Patrick's is next?

#684 9 years ago

LOL. Two pinheads following a rainbow with a leprechaun guarding is pot of code! LOL

#685 9 years ago

To fit this theme you could use a box of lucky charms for St. Pattys day

#686 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Publicly bashing this company is certainly justified. They knowing release incomplete code... on purpose... knowing they have no process in place to ensure EACH machine gets the development time to complete the game. TBH; I'd personally be ok with a parital game code release to get the game out the door... but ONLY if they had a track record of actually assigning developers to a given game; WITH set code deadlines and indicators. So that within 6mths; the game is complete. But they won't do that... All they want to do is say "soon" and then put resources on the newest game in the development pipeline.
The result is most games NEVER see completed code.
Personally; I think even picket lines at Pinball shows is the only way to really be heard. When Gary talks; that line needs to be in the room.

Sell a kit for people to display at shows

Kit would be a T-shirt, A vinyl decal to put on the glass or translite of stern games they bring to a show and 5-10 nice 8.5 x 11 one sheets to distribute.
You could also include rule cards that people print off for specific games. - They need to download and print these.

Personally I'd pay $30.00 shipped for this kit. I think cost would be around $20 - $25 depending on volume and the person shipping this kits should at least make 20 % back for their time.

The kit

#687 9 years ago

Hank I don't mind doing it. But I wouldn't wan tto profit from it so as mentionned in the tshirt thread that really didn't have any takers... I would donate the profits to an organization. But we would need at least 50 orders to make the price acceptable.

#688 9 years ago

Make some 100 packs of stickers and people could stick them all over the machines at the Stern booth.

CES, PaGG, KZoo, OHshow, .......

#689 9 years ago

I like the sticker idea but I'd never put them on anyone's machines. You know what would be fun? if these were done up as baseball cards. Fun artwork on the front and list of games info on the back. Release them at various events (different ones) and people could collect the whole set.

#690 9 years ago

I thought X-Men was pretty much complete at this point?

I don't know if everyone will ever agree on calling a games code 100% complete.....we just need a solid 95% consensus. ST is about 85%....and still a ton of fun...but not complete. I waited on getting one but I'm glad I did get one.

#691 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I thought X-Men was pretty much complete at this point?

At the very least, there was a bug introduced in the last released software version (1.51) that prevented the game from continuing after the Danger Room and Dark Phoenix wizard modes were attempted. After these modes are reached and passed or failed...none of the other modes reset. So there is basically nothing else to shoot for in the game (goal wise).

So even though 1.51 had changes and bug fixes from 1.50...many of the users have refused to update to the latest version. Whenever you have an issue big enough for people not to want to update...that's never a good sign. An update shouldn't be a trade off, it should be an across the board improvement.

#692 9 years ago

Hank I don't mind doing it. But I wouldn't wan tto profit from it so as mentionned in the tshirt thread that really didn't have any takers... I would donate the profits to an organization. But we would need at least 50 orders to make the price acceptable.

I'd be in for a Tshirt... if they were offered in 5XL.

#693 9 years ago

I like the sticker idea but I'd never put them on anyone's machines.

I will put them on everyone's machines, until the code is complete.

#694 9 years ago

Wow this thread was made for Jan 31 but it is still running what a bunch of

tumblr_m6i4lmB4rs1r0a19h.jpgtumblr_m6i4lmB4rs1r0a19h.jpg
#695 9 years ago

Glad you can still make your appearance once in a while ek77 this thread would not be the same without you.

meme-ek77.jpgmeme-ek77.jpg

#696 9 years ago

Always nice to see the status quo crowd chime in with funny pictures.

#697 9 years ago

55804052.jpg55804052.jpg Ray Liotta Laughing In Goodfellas.jpgRay Liotta Laughing In Goodfellas.jpg
#698 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

55804052.jpg 32 KB

Ray Liotta Laughing In Goodfella... 133 KB

Pretty funny EK
Keep em coming.

#699 9 years ago

Is anyone really keeping time?

stern-code-clock-wheresthecode.jpgstern-code-clock-wheresthecode.jpg

#700 9 years ago

Its amazing how much this thread has positively impacted the pinball community and motivated Stern and other companies to act on the current abomination that is the code famine.

I've just installed all the new code that was released in the last couple of weeks into all of my games. Also I was happy to receive that letter of apology from Gary directly. What would we have done without you Flash? you are truly an innovator, a mover, a thinker if you will. And all the while pushing your successful campaign you have refused to enter that devils lair of negativity. Kudos to you and your positive affect on the pinball community.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,075 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 42.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-jan-31st-stern-code-post-day/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.