New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 95119)

Major Papa Announcement in 7 days

By MikeCP

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 209 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Bridgekeeper1.jpg
    tumblr_m7q9qtUKrU1rn0uum.png
    Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
    smiling-fish3.jpg
    F9.jpg
    savage4.jpg
    kerins.jpg
    no rooms.JPG
    butler days inn.JPG
    ESPN Hosts.jpg
    image-881.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

That building is awesome. I hope they remodel it and put pins in there.

Agree. That's the traditional Hobo Hangout!

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

And yes, the next Pinburgh will be held at the end of July 2015.

I'm officially in the signup line for Pinburgh 2015! Bowen, you're my witness!!

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from tb0ne:

If I were to guess, Pinburgh will be a show/tournament and held in some sort of convention center with attached hotel. Now, you can go drink beers in the comfort of a hotel, and even drop a deuce in the privacy of your own bathroom without dealing with 400 other dudes battling for 10 stalls in PAPA's bathroom.

Hate to be the guy(s) who have to move 200+ pins from PAPA to the hotel!!

A real blockbuster would be converting the adjacent building to a hotel! On-site accommodations!

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Huh? It's already sold out.

CRAP!

#57 6 years ago

The biggest announcement I could think of would be installation of some of those vibrating foot massage platforms. Even if they run off tokens. Every multi-day pinball event should have these....

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from geet84:

My guess is that Pinburgh will be available as 3 separate packages. Pro, Premium and L.E. The Pro is only a 1 day tourney and all machines have had spinners removed. Premium is just like the normal Pinburgh of the past, but every machine you play has been upgraded with LEDs.The L.E. Pinburgh is exactly the same as the Premium except each player gets a special, numbered name tag autographed by Bowen.

I find it sad that this is funny!

#107 6 years ago

Just a couple of hours now.... and I'll pass on sliding thru a urinal trough!

#126 6 years ago

Wait, so Pinburgh will be at the 'establishment' convention center? So no tailgating scene. Boooooo!

#147 6 years ago

That is one big buttload of games to move! Wow.

#170 6 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Dang, no more after party I take it

I guess that'll just be for PAPA now.

Quoted from DarthXaos:

Probably to give the Pinburgh people a chance to explore the rest of the festival on Sunday

Yeah, long full days to compete on the Pinburgh schedule!

#186 6 years ago
    Quoted from SOD:

I will be there, but I won't be playing. Fortunately I will be a part of helping run this event and am proud to say I am. I'll certainly miss playing but for me, helping is going to be just as gratifying as playing. I'm sure I will be getting a few games of Robotron as well as some others. Can't wait!

Robotron FTW! Yes, this will be an awesome event. And we'll have PAPA for the PAPA scene, just once per year.

#191 6 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

The new situation will offer beer / refreshments in the room, live music, entertainers, a laser show on the ceiling, all of the previous games any many more, and countless other things to do. Admittedly we won't all get to watch the dumpy building across the street and wonder if any more bricks will fall off, but the party atmosphere should survive, if not improve.

I'm sure that the rest of this massive show will compensate to a degree, but being able to buy pricey/limited-selection beers isn't the same as the coolers-and-lawn-chairs tailgate breaks. But we'll be at PAPA in March for that!

#196 6 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

There is plenty of tailgating at CAX, which is held at a convention center. Does this convention center have armed guards in towers surrounding the parking lot? I know some parking areas are more/ less conducive to tailgating. What's the deal here?
    At Raider's games for years, the choice areas for tailgating was near fence by the freeway. They never had many portable toilets in the parking lot, so guys would prefer to relieve themselves at the bush covered fence. Good times. I think they've added some outhouses since then.

The PBGH Convention center has a parking garage built into the facility. It's right in the city--no outdoor parking lots under the sun, no grass, no enclosing fences, nothing but an enclosed/attached multilevel concrete parking garage. Believe me, it is NOT conducive to tailgating (probably is not allowed), and nothing like the outdoor concert scene linked above. And I can't imagine walking to the garage during breaks and hanging by cars. Pretty sure alcohol is forbidden in the garage too. Seriously, forget about tailgating at the convention center.

BTW, CAX is held at a large hotel. This is a convention center. Big difference!

#198 6 years ago
    Quoted from tb0ne:

In all due respect, if this is your biggest concern, you should just have a BBQ at your house that weekend or something.

LOL I live hundreds of miles away--how would that work? No BBQ possible here anyway. And have you ever been to PAPA or Pinburgh? The parking lot scene is really a highlight, with the socializing, barbecue by the main door, beer runs, community coolers, etc. Great atmosphere for fresh air and talking pinball during breaks. [And the phrase is "*with* all due respect..."]

Like I said, it's still there for PAPA, just not for this new/expanded Pinburgh, alas.

#202 6 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

I too enjoyed the tailgating as much as the tournament inside. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

As I see it, all the more reason to attend BOTH PAPA and Pinburgh!

#204 6 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to tailgate in the garage (or any garage anywhere, to be safe). The point of the linked photo is that the DLCC is in the middle of a very active area with a lot to do. If you're inclined to go that route, yes, finding a spot to "tailgate" will be more difficult than stepping out into the parking lot at PAPA HQ (which is also technically illegal) but it's far from impossible. People hang out on the riverwalk, the point, and other areas nearby all the time.

At least we will have beer available. Can you try to get a decent selection? And not-too-ridiculous prices? (I know options are limited at the CC.)

#208 6 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

That large hotel is attached to an even larger convention center. Google Santa Clara convention center and check the address. It also has a typical concrete parking garage. You can see that on google maps. The only sun is on the top floor and you only park there if you have to. It's hardly the ideal place for tailgating. No one barbeques. Still, some of my best memories from that show have happened in that garage.
    What it's made of doesn't really matter. If cars park there, it will work. The key is how far away from the show it is. Too far of a walk from the show is no good. Still, as Mark mentioned, lots of other stuff nearby. Will be like the first 2 or 3 years of the Seattle show (in The Shadow of the space needle). Lots of trouble to be caused in the nearby neighborhoods.

Thx for the info--I looked at the CAX site (haven't made it to one yet but hope to!) and thought it was more outdoor parking lots. The PBGH CC is right downtown, in a very congested/urban location. I was there for a conference 2 years ago, and it seemed like a very "establishment" location as opposed to a party one.

BTW, don't get me wrong--I'm NOT complaining about this major new event! It will have more stuff to do than the 'old' Pinburgh (although the competition schedule is pretty rigorous and exhausting by itself). I was just lamenting the loss of the very chill PAPA HQ parking lot scene for this event. OTOH there's a better chance I'll be able to attend this year and not miss out on registration.

And endless kudos to the whole PAPA crew for putting together this huge event. I don't know how you manage to get the regular events going, and this takes it up a notch. It's all good. Scratch that--GREAT!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 7.00
    $ 229.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    € 30.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Creo Pinball
    $ 219.99
    $ 89.99
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 159.00
    $ 10.00
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Silverball Swag
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    $ 45.00
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Boards
    PinSound
    $ 25.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.95
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside