Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 209 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bridgekeeper1.jpg
    tumblr_m7q9qtUKrU1rn0uum.png
    Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
    smiling-fish3.jpg
    F9.jpg
    savage4.jpg
    kerins.jpg
    no rooms.JPG
    butler days inn.JPG
    ESPN Hosts.jpg
    image-881.jpg
    There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 9 years ago

There are outdoor parking lots within walking distance of the convention center. I'm not sure what the rules on tailgating in the garage are. Some people have tailgated in public garages before Pirates games and concerts, but that doesn't mean it's legal. You may want to check before openly tailgating in the garage area.

#202 9 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

I too enjoyed the tailgating as much as the tournament inside. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

As I see it, all the more reason to attend BOTH PAPA and Pinburgh!

#203 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to tailgate in the garage (or any garage anywhere, to be safe). The point of the linked photo is that the DLCC is in the middle of a very active area with a lot to do. If you're inclined to go that route, yes, finding a spot to "tailgate" will be more difficult than stepping out into the parking lot at PAPA HQ (which is also technically illegal) but it's far from impossible. People hang out on the riverwalk, the point, and other areas nearby all the time.

#204 9 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to tailgate in the garage (or any garage anywhere, to be safe). The point of the linked photo is that the DLCC is in the middle of a very active area with a lot to do. If you're inclined to go that route, yes, finding a spot to "tailgate" will be more difficult than stepping out into the parking lot at PAPA HQ (which is also technically illegal) but it's far from impossible. People hang out on the riverwalk, the point, and other areas nearby all the time.

At least we will have beer available. Can you try to get a decent selection? And not-too-ridiculous prices? (I know options are limited at the CC.)

#205 9 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

At least we will have beer available. Can you try to get a decent selection? And not-too-ridiculous prices? (I know options are limited at the CC.)

It's Levy Restuarants, the same people who do Heinz Field and PNC park. They will add taps by special request though, which I didn't expect.

#206 9 years ago

It's always interesting to see what Greg G. or Justin B. will be up to in the PAPA lot.

#207 9 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

The PBGH Convention center has a parking garage built into the facility. It's right in the city--no outdoor parking lots under the sun, no grass, no enclosing fences, nothing but an enclosed/attached multilevel concrete parking garage. Believe me, it is NOT conducive to tailgating (probably is not allowed), and nothing like the outdoor concert scene linked above. And I can't imagine walking to the garage during breaks and hanging by cars. Pretty sure alcohol is forbidden in the garage too. Seriously, forget about tailgating at the convention center.

BTW, CAX is held at a large hotel. This is a convention center. Big difference!

That large hotel is attached to an even larger convention center. Google Santa Clara convention center and check the address. It also has a typical concrete parking garage. You can see that on google maps. The only sun is on the top floor and you only park there if you have to. It's hardly the ideal place for tailgating. No one barbeques. Still, some of my best memories from that show have happened in that garage.

What it's made of doesn't really matter. If cars park there, it will work. The key is how far away from the show it is. Too far of a walk from the show is no good. Still, as Mark mentioned, lots of other stuff nearby. Will be like the first 2 or 3 years of the Seattle show (in the shadow of the space needle). Lots of trouble to be caused in the nearby neighborhoods.

#208 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

That large hotel is attached to an even larger convention center. Google Santa Clara convention center and check the address. It also has a typical concrete parking garage. You can see that on google maps. The only sun is on the top floor and you only park there if you have to. It's hardly the ideal place for tailgating. No one barbeques. Still, some of my best memories from that show have happened in that garage.
    What it's made of doesn't really matter. If cars park there, it will work. The key is how far away from the show it is. Too far of a walk from the show is no good. Still, as Mark mentioned, lots of other stuff nearby. Will be like the first 2 or 3 years of the Seattle show (in The Shadow of the space needle). Lots of trouble to be caused in the nearby neighborhoods.

Thx for the info--I looked at the CAX site (haven't made it to one yet but hope to!) and thought it was more outdoor parking lots. The PBGH CC is right downtown, in a very congested/urban location. I was there for a conference 2 years ago, and it seemed like a very "establishment" location as opposed to a party one.

BTW, don't get me wrong--I'm NOT complaining about this major new event! It will have more stuff to do than the 'old' Pinburgh (although the competition schedule is pretty rigorous and exhausting by itself). I was just lamenting the loss of the very chill PAPA HQ parking lot scene for this event. OTOH there's a better chance I'll be able to attend this year and not miss out on registration.

And endless kudos to the whole PAPA crew for putting together this huge event. I don't know how you manage to get the regular events going, and this takes it up a notch. It's all good. Scratch that--GREAT!

#209 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

We enjoyed that actually...gave us "the Detroit Vibe" when we were there

it's only a true "detroit vibe" if a bunch of rats scattered after the brick fell

There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/major-papa-announcement-in-7-days/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.