(Topic ID: 131891)

My KISS Pro is finally working!! Update and a thanks!

By Minneapolispin

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Banker
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

KISSS.png
code.png
bolt.png
untitled.png
screw.png
untitled.png
met.jpg
IMGA0933.jpg
IMGA0930.jpg
IMG_8877.jpg
fwx-homemade-zima.jpg
WP_20150630_10_32_45_Pro.jpg

There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 5 years ago

As long as humans are involved in production, there will be errors, mistakes, and omissions. Now once Skynet (or Genisys) goes online, everything will change...

Brad

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

I like the way the op who paid over 5k for their pin is called out for this qc issue. no loose hardware should be in a pinball cab, it could cause a short and maybe even a fire in the game.

That's using logic and goes against the maker. All heil the maker. The maker is good and brings us new shiney balls.

#153 5 years ago

So is there still a coincidence that several recent local owners are having issues? Maybe each of them got an extra bolt as well.

#154 5 years ago

The code update last night completely fixed mine. After 30+ games, I haven't had a single issue (locking up, sound going out, etc.). And my two buddies that were having issues are reporting everything is now A'ok with their games too.

#155 5 years ago

Good to hear. Enjoy. Hoping to play one soon, but that might have to wait until I visit my brother and I hit up Sun Ray Lanes.

#156 5 years ago

I'm kind of surprised with that bolt being where it was that didn't start arcing. oh well. Sounds like you're good to go now. Hope you're enjoying the game!!!!!!!!

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Now it all makes sense. In the Op's defence, I would consider those issue's fairly major as well if I just unboxed a 6000.00 machine.

What's the cost of the machine got to do with it? The issues are no longer major if the machine only cost $1000??

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

What's the cost of the machine got to do with it? The issues are no longer major if the machine only cost $1000??

yeah, idk. I can pay $40k for a car and it breaks.....

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

So is there still a coincidence that several recent local owners are having issues? Maybe each of them got an extra bolt as well.

Or they have screws loose?

#160 5 years ago

Has anyone heard when Stern suppose to start production again of Kiss?

#161 5 years ago

I know it's common-place to want to exaggerate on Pinside, but trust me when I say none of us paid anything close to $6000. In fact, it wasn't even that close to $5000 and that includes shipping.

All three of our games are working fantastically. It appears that whoever was assembling our games the day of our production had a bad code stick that they were using that created various seemingly major issues that all came down to code. Still having random issues with the demon spitting the ball straight down the middle, but it sounds like there are workarounds for that and I am looking forward to trying it out.

I would not hesitate to buy the game based on our experience as it appears to be a complete anomaly. The game is lightning fast, has fantastic artwork and the sound is ridiculous compared to the old system. Buy with confidence and enjoy the game!

#162 5 years ago

Somebody is going to catch hell when the bean counters find out the bolt inventory is off.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

I like the way the op who paid over 5k for their pin is called out for this qc issue. no loose hardware should be in a pinball cab, it could cause a short and maybe even a fire in the game.

Come on I'm not calling him out, he said he lifted the pf and checked things, I just asked him how he could miss something that was literally 2 inches away from his nose, gee's. Your the one making the big deal out of it. And by the way he most likely DIDN'T pay over 5k for it, street price was probably UNDER 5k.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Come on I'm not calling him out, he said he lifted the pf and checked things, I just asked him how he could miss something that was literally 2 inches away from his nose, gee's. Your the one making the big deal out of it.

Clearly, on a brand new game, he shouldn't be looking for anything. No offense to you, but its really simple in my opinion.

#165 5 years ago

That argument comes up over and over. Reality is: Wow, things bounce a lot in shipping. Those crazy freighters. Always worth at a minimum a visual inspection before electrifrying things. Especially.... for the money spent on a brand new game.

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Clearly, on a brand new game, he shouldn't be looking for anything. No offense to you, but its really simple in my opinion.

Well of course not but he was having problems so he was checking it, a few here that have bought NIB games do have problems and have fixed them themselves, but why am I telling you this, you read the forum.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Yes he should be looking for anything. Well before the power cord gets plugged in. A full check of the entire playfield and cab. It was assembled by humans, so is prone to mistakes.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

That argument comes up over and over. Reality is: Wow, things bounce a lot in shipping. Those crazy freighters. Always worth at a minimum a visual inspection before electrifrying things. Especially.... for the money spent on a brand new game.

Exactly, I inspected my Mustang for 20 minutes, top, bottom, inside and outside before I plugged it in and turned it on.

#169 5 years ago

The good thing about Pinside is we can tell if it's just one guy with a bolt in the coil or 50 people with this problem. My WOZ had problems (missing screws, loosening coil stops)similar to others so we reported and JJP corrected the problem on later games. Stuff happpens with all screws, switches, code in a modern pinball though I know you don't expect it with a NIB. I don't expect Stern or JJP to be perfect but they should try to be.... I guess that's about all we can hope for.

#170 5 years ago

The only issue I'm having now, is that when the game is first turned on, the DMD will light and just a tiny amount of back box light will come on. It's barely noticeable. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 power ons before the game starts and everything lights up correctly. I notified Chas at Stern as an FYI and will continue to monitor.

#171 5 years ago

Glad to read everything is largely fixed and working well.

My disappointment in Stern is not the bolt which can happen (human error, shipping jostling, who knows) but the code. How does it pass quality control checks on the line if the game doesn't even turn on right, etc. Three owners in MN got a game that was unplayable out of the box due to bad code. It begs the question, was there even quality control done on the line??? How could they discern a board versus code issue??

I'm excited about getting a Kiss premium, but man, I'm really pausing since this code issue seems to have gotten worse rather than better. Good they fixed quickly with new code update - but how do you ship an unplayable game???

Even my underwear used to have an inspected by tag. What's happening?

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Short version?

• Costs money to order, manufacture, stock, and store all the parts that go into a play field
  • Money that is either being borrowed (and costing interest); or at least not being invested elsewhere (losing potential interest income)
  • Getting product out faster, gets all that off their books, and the money out of your hands and into theirs (and their creditors). Can always ship updated code later!
  • We keep permitting it.

If you want the even shorter version, just stick with that last bullet point.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Your underwear are now made in Vietnam and the person that used to inspect them here is QC'ing pinball machines!

#174 5 years ago

The game still isn't working 100%. When powered on after being off for several hours, it won't start up right away. The DMD will come on and show the Stern logo and a few red LED lights on the CPU turn on, but that's it -no backbox or playfield light. I have to power the game off and wait a few seconds before turning on again. Sometimes it takes 3 times of on/off before everything powers on. When it does, then the game plays great.

I'm also trying to update the code to 1.02. When I plug in the stick and power up the game, it will say to press select to begin the update. This is what I did when I updated to .95 and all worked well (and I'm using the same stick, with everything completely deleted off it).

The game is just stuck on this "Preparing to unpack files" message. I've tried several times (powering off, deleting and downloading the code, etc.). Any ideas what this means?

code.png

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from danisme:

Somebody is going to catch hell when the bean counters find out the bolt inventory is off.

It was probably issued out of inventory once it hit the floor.

Sucks that the OP is having all these issues. No reason that a game should ship out without it booting up and tested several times.

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

The game is just stuck on this "Preparing to unpack files" message. I've tried several times (powering off, deleting and downloading the code, etc.). Any ideas what this means?

Sounds like a defective CPU board to me.
I'd also check to see if 1.02 download is corrupted. Does Stern provide MD5SUMs on their web site?

#177 5 years ago

What does MD5SUM mean?

#178 5 years ago

What does MD5SUM mean?

md5sum is a computer program that calculates and verifies 128-bit MD5 hashes, as described in RFC 1321. The MD5 hash (or checksum) functions as a compact digital fingerprint of a file. As with all such hashing algorithms, there is theoretically an unlimited number of files that will have any given MD5 hash.

#179 5 years ago

What does MD5SUM mean?

It is the checksum of your file download. If it differs from what it should be then your download is corrupt.

Finman2000 beat me to it by seconds and with a much better explanation.

Gord

#180 5 years ago

I see the file listed on the drive. How do I check to see if it's "good"?

#181 5 years ago

Here's a video of the current start up issue. It takes 2-3 attempts to power on before the game will actually start. I'll call Chas at Stern, as well as Cointaker on Monday and let them know. I think I'll request a new CPU board be sent out like my buddy did.

#182 5 years ago

Here's a video of the current start up issue. It takes 2-3 attempts to power on before the game will actually start. I'll call Chas at Stern, as well as Cointaker on Monday and let them know. I think I'll request a new CPU board be sent out like my buddy did.
ยป YouTube video

Yeah that's a pain but at least you can play it.

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Yes he should be looking for anything. Well before the power cord gets plugged in. A full check of the entire playfield and cab. It was assembled by humans, so is prone to mistakes.

These games should be tested and re-tested before being sent out. Unlike other purchases, you cant just wheel your Pinball machine back to Walmart or the dealership and have it fixed. These games go to remote locations and should work. Yes, I know things happen in shipping but the OP is still having issues and they don't seem to be shipping related.

I get it, these things happen, see my recent Wozle thread but they should be better tested before being released.

#184 5 years ago

Well, I thought the new code update fixed it, but no such luck. I'll have to request a new CPU board on Monday.

1. The game takes 2-3 attempts to power up.
2. Midway through the last several games, the sound/music goes off and the DMD freezes in place (everything else works and you can play a "silent" game.
3. The code can't be updated. I've tried saving it onto 2 separate sticks and downloaded from different computers. It's stuck in "Preparing to unpack files" mode.

Oh well, the 50 or so games I did get to play on it were a lot of fun. I also figured out that if you adjust the power of the Gene coil, the ball doesn't shoot out of his mouth and right down the middle. Rather it will dump to the left flipper 90% of the time.

I'm off to watch some fireworks and not think about pinball issues anymore this weekend!

#185 5 years ago

Well, I thought the new code update fixed it, but no such luck. I'll have to request a new CPU board on Monday.

Sorry for your trouble. I've bought several NIB from Stern and, besides Avengers, I've been very fortunate. Hopefully you are up and running next week.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

These games should be tested and re-tested before being sent out. Unlike other purchases, you cant just wheel your Pinball machine back to Walmart or the dealership and have it fixed.

This game could have played fine in the factory with a bolt on the speaker or somewhere that dislocated to the coil during shipping.

These games are commercial equipment, yeah but operators have to be technical given the mechanical nature of pinball. Its true in the modern day of solid state electronics and cars that don't need tune ups, we've become a little spoiled by the culture around consumer purchases. You could probably engineer a pinball machine that never needed anything at all, but then you wouldn't want to see the price tag.

The key to this is have a good distributor. After my machine arrived at my home, my distributor came over and helped me unbox and gave me a few things to look for. (Thanks PinballMike217!) I've been very happy with my Stern game/NIB experience.

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

This game could have played fine in the factory with a bolt on the speaker or somewhere that dislocated to the coil during shipping.
These games are commercial equipment, yeah but operators have to be technical given the mechanical nature of pinball. Its true in the modern day of solid state electronics and cars that don't need tune ups, we've become a little spoiled by the culture around consumer purchases. You could probably engineer a pinball machine that never needed anything at all, but then you wouldn't want to see the price tag.
The key to this is have a good distributor. After my machine arrived at my home, my distributor came over and helped me unbox and gave me a few things to look for. (Thanks PinballMike217!) I've been very happy with my Stern game/NIB experience.

Wrong, wrong and again wrong. The fact people stick up for these companies is unbelievable. Further to that, try re-reading the thread, "THE BOLT" isn't the biggest problem, its lack of quality control. He removed the bolt and its still screwed up, you clearly missed that.

Further to that, the distributer good/bad has 0% to do with this. This is all on Stern and lack of quality control. Test/retest and release a quality product. ( yes I know things happen but this game clearly wasn't tested, it was rushed out for the sake of $$$$ )

#188 5 years ago

My buddy who was also having problems out of the box, texted to say his takes at least four attempts to power on and when it does, it will freeze up mid-game. We both must have got jacked up CPU's. It is strange though that mine started acting up literally 15-20 seconds into the very first game I ever played and this wasn't caught during the final QC before being boxed and shipped.

I'll report back later this week when we have a chance to install our new CPU. A pain in the ass, but at least we'll have fully working games.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Wrong, wrong and again wrong. The fact people stick up for these companies is unbelievable.

I guess show me a pinball manufacturer that doesn't release a problem game or two out of their factory? JJP and Stern both have had inevitable issues, and both have made good to their customers. Chevy and Ford both sometimes have problems and need to issue recalls too.

Quoted from Spencer:

yes I know things happen but this game clearly wasn't tested, it was rushed out for the sake of $$$$

Do you have evidence of this? I mean, the game could have easily been tested and had a CPU component failure in transit. I don't see how you can say definitively it wasn't tested. JJP took > 2 years to release WOZ and there were issues with games. They weren't rushed out. So how did any game arrive not working 100%?

#190 5 years ago

I should say that when the game is working, I freaking LOVE IT!! I just got in about 10 games, before it started having shutdown and reset issues. But the more I play it and start to understand the shots, I'm falling in love with the game. I can't wait until the code gets deeper, but even at it's basic level, the game is fun as hell. I like how it's like AC/DC and each song has a different shot strategy. I'm also finding it brutally hard and have trouble keeping the ball going for long periods of time.

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Wrong, wrong and again wrong. The fact people stick up for these companies is unbelievable. Further to that, try re-reading the thread, "THE BOLT" isn't the biggest problem, its lack of quality control. He removed the bolt and its still screwed up, you clearly missed that.
Further to that, the distributer good/bad has 0% to do with this. This is all on Stern and lack of quality control. Test/retest and release a quality product. ( yes I know things happen but this game clearly wasn't tested, it was rushed out for the sake of $$$$ )

Spencer, we didn't miss that at all. I think we all realize the bolt isn't the big issue, it's the fact that the game isn't running right. I do t think anybody is saying different. Yes, Stern made a mistake shipping this game. But it isn't unbelievable to give the company a chance to fix it, is it? Keep your socks on, this is the real world, not some fantasy world of perfection. It's a brand new product (don't kid yourself, it really is an entirely new system). Let Stern fix it. I'm quite sure they will. And if they don't, then your outrage will be fitting.

#192 5 years ago

these issues are probably why kiss le/ premium are delayed

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Spencer, we didn't miss that at all. I think we all realize the bolt isn't the big issue, it's the fact that the game isn't running right. I do t think anybody is saying different. Yes, Stern made a mistake shipping this game. But it isn't unbelievable to give the company a chance to fix it, is it? Keep your socks on, this is the real world, not some fantasy world of perfection. It's a brand new product (don't kid yourself, it really is an entirely new system). Let Stern fix it. I'm quite sure they will. And if they don't, then your outrage will be fitting.

Just as well Stern don't make aircraft or they may be falling from the sky, matters not if it's a bolt, code or dodgy cpu it should be spotted during manufacture or QC, and as for it being a brand new product all the more reason to thoroughly test it before releasing it to the market.
i hope this is an isolated incident for Stern's sake and not a major problem with manufacturing or QC i'm sure Gene Simmons would not be to happy endorsing a faulty Kiss product.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I guess show me a pinball manufacturer that doesn't release a problem game or two out of their factory? JJP and Stern both have had inevitable issues, and both have made good to their customers. Chevy and Ford both sometimes have problems and need to issue recalls too.

Do you have evidence of this? I mean, the game could have easily been tested and had a CPU component failure in transit. I don't see how you can say definitively it wasn't tested. JJP took > 2 years to release WOZ and there were issues with games. They weren't rushed out. So how did any game arrive not working 100%?

Im not slamming Stern or defending JJP or anyone else. All I'm saying is no way this should be happening with a new game. Clearly it was rushed out the door and clearly it isn't a random bolt at fault.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I guess we can agree to disagree then.

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

They turned this one around amazingly quick. I remember reading the first post that someone had received their Pro, and I thought it was BS... Sure enough, they had pics! When Stern themselves couldn't even call the release code 1.0, it was obvious this was a game that wasn't done cooking.

I know the LE/Premium guys are up against the clock with most releases, but if you're buying a Pro there is no reason not to wait a year. No doubt Kiss is going to be a great game, its just going to be a long wait until its complete.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

I think there is one key piece of info missing. Where the hell did you get a zima?

Hang on a second, where can I get some? I loved this stuff when I was underage! It would definitely be a trip down memory lane to grab a case....or three.

#198 5 years ago

Yeah where do you get zima?

Oddly enough I had a old email Zimawall. It was so stupid me and three other dudes rented a house.
The basement had a wall ledge all around the whole room. We filled it full with empty zima bottles 4 deep around the whole room. The stupid thing we were so proud of.

Fun note. when you bored of zima add jolly ranchers and let them sit for 30 minutes or so........new flavor zima.

Good old Zima

#199 5 years ago

you should take the Zima talk to the confessional thread. Zima is unicorn piss. Have a great day.

#200 5 years ago

When it fails do me a favor and check the 5v rail

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside