(Topic ID: 131891)

My KISS Pro is finally working!! Update and a thanks!

By Minneapolispin

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Banker
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

KISSS.png
code.png
bolt.png
untitled.png
screw.png
untitled.png
met.jpg
IMGA0933.jpg
IMGA0930.jpg
IMG_8877.jpg
fwx-homemade-zima.jpg
WP_20150630_10_32_45_Pro.jpg

There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 4 years ago

I'm getting nervous for the delivery of my KISS Pro tomorrow. My buddy went and picked his up at the terminal today, rather than waiting for delivery tomorrow. He's currently texting many of us Minnesota pinheads a play-by-play of his first hour out of the box.

- It sounds like the CPU is resetting during games, losing all the saved settings.
- A ball shot into the demon head is causing the sound to go out.
- The CPU is locking after ball drains.

Any ideas? Mine is being delivered tomorrow morning and I'm nervous I'll get a lemon too.

#2 4 years ago

Don't sweat it until you play it and have the same issues . It could be your buddy just got a funky one off the line . It happens . Set it up and check all the connections and see what happens . Let us know what's up .

#3 4 years ago

Stern will take care of your friend.

Your game will probably not have these kinds of problems.

This thread's subject line is terrible.

#4 4 years ago

Not sure how it's a terrible title. The game is unplayable out of the box. He's calling tech support in the morning.

#5 4 years ago

Any product that is manufactured is going to have some duds. You'll be fine. If not, hello warranty!

#6 4 years ago

Not sure why you'd be nervous. It's like a new car, some never have issues and some do. That's what the warranty is for.

They probably ship him a new cpu board and be fixed.

#7 4 years ago

It's second hand info relayed from texts. Everything you've described could have a very easy fix. As in, reseating some cables. Or a very complicated one. But, does anyone doubt Stern will handle it?

No doubt I'd be unhappy if I was in your friend's shoes. I just think your subject line is unnecessarily inflammatory because -- at least in my mind -- it makes it seem like there are fundamental and unfixable problems. (When, in fact, support hasn't even gotten involved yet.)

#8 4 years ago

All of my dealings with Stern after purchasing games have been dealt with quickly , efficiently and at no cost. I would not worry about it at all. The technical service and support is great.

#9 4 years ago

I think the settings are saved to SD card. Maybe it's bad or it's the cpu board.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Not sure how it's a terrible title. The game is unplayable out of the box. He's calling tech support in the morning.

It's a terrible title because it isn't your (OP) game that's causing issues, and one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch.

#11 4 years ago

Jeez. Sorry to offend some of you for asking a question that concerns several of us expecting our games tomorrow. I'll update the title.

#12 4 years ago

Any ideas? Mine is being delivered tomorrow morning and I'm nervous I'll get a lemon too.

As stevevt stated, make sure all connectors in the back box and under the playfield are firmly seated. That's the first thing any NIB pin owner should do before powering up the machine for the first time.

If it keeps having problems after that, then contact Stern support.

#13 4 years ago

Yes he re-seated connectors and fuses. He also said the zip ties were super tight, so he cut those thinking it was an issue. It sounds like the issues continue and it's multiple things occurring. I'll cross my fingers and update if mine or the other guys, getting there's tomorrow have issues. My Metallica worked flawlessly out of the box and a year later, other than a light bulb out and a broken rubber band, the game is 100%.

#14 4 years ago

I had to get a new driver board for a NIB ST Premium... what was weird was several switches weren't registering at all, but I could play the game. It took me a couple plays to realize that something was messed up. Usually by calling the tech line during business hours, we were able to isolate the problem. So it happens... first time, having a problem with NIB. Two others had no problems at all.

#15 4 years ago

You should sue Stern or better yet...challenge Steve Ritchie to hand to hand combat

Anyone remember that one?

#16 4 years ago

Jeez. Sorry to offend some of you for asking a question that concerns several of us expecting our games tomorrow. I'll update the title.

People are concerned the title will spark others to think there is a common/wide spread issue with the game. Currently this is one of the only cases we've seen/heard, and it happens to random nib games. Nothing to be alarmed about. Hope you didn't take too much offense to all the posts saying it was an over kill title, but pinside can take something and run with it....soooo best to play it safe.

Let us know what happens when the call is made tomorrow

#17 4 years ago

I have had 2 bad Gene Heads, resetting during multi ball or too much going on at one time, music fading out ( cracking ) Ink smeared insert with clear over it.. worst NIB I have ever bought.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

It's a terrible title because it isn't your (OP) game that's causing issues, and one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch.

Actually ripening apples produce gaseous ethylene which causes other fruits near them to go bad. So one bad apple can actually spoil the whole bunch.

But, as far as I know, Stern pinball machines do not release ethylene and cause one another to rot in close quarters.

#19 4 years ago

No issues so far with my Kiss NIB

#20 4 years ago

nonissue: an issue that is not important : something that people are not concerned about

#21 4 years ago

Yes he re-seated connectors and fuses. He also said the zip ties were super tight, so he cut those thinking it was an issue.

Yeah, the tight zip ties can restrict the flow of electrons. Good idea.

#22 4 years ago

how's the code?

#23 4 years ago

Jeez for being a generally friendly forum, this was a poor thread to prove that :/

#24 4 years ago

It is a misleading title. When I read it I thought, "I had no issues with my NIB." So I was thinking, why post that then? I am confused.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

It is a misleading title. When I read it I thought, "I had no issues with my NIB." So I was thinking, why post that then? I am confused.

Exactly what I thought too.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

It's because he got hassled so hard about his original title. He was peer-pressured into changing it.

#27 4 years ago

The original title was something like "Major out of the box issues with a new KISS Pro". My buddy got his set up and tried playing for an hour with multiple CPU locks, resets, and sound going out issues.

Mine is being delivered in the next couple hours and I'll set it up tonight. Fingers crossed that he just got a fluky one. I'll post my out of the box experience later tonight.

#28 4 years ago

Mine is being delivered tomorrow morning and I'm nervous I'll get a lemon too.

I'd stay calm on this one. Even though that is difficult, a pinball machine is a very complex item. Add to that the fact that it is then getting shipped in a box all over creation, and it will happen from time to time.

And there are things we don't know about SPIKE yet. Maybe a simple bad cable can cause feedback and all these symptoms. Maybe a bad sub-board. It is a brand new system and we don't even know how to diagnose it yet. But one thing I'm sure about, and that is that Stern will fix it. They will help figure out what went wrong and get him on his feet. I'm also pretty sure your game will be fine once you open it.

The worst part will be that your friend takes a few days to get running (hopefully before the long weekend). And hopefully he has that bad feeling only as long as it takes to play a few games on his new pinball machine.

#29 4 years ago

The original title was something like "Major out of the box issues with a new KISS Pro".

Now it all makes sense. In the Op's defence, I would consider those issue's fairly major as well if I just unboxed a 6000.00 machine. That said, I have had excellent customer/technical support from Stern so I'm sure your friend will get sorted out. Can't wait to play one

#31 4 years ago

I've had excellent customer service with Stern as well. When my Metallica arrived last year, once of the screws was missing, causing the crank it up plastic/lights to be slumped over onto the playfield. I emailed them and within a day or two, they had sent me the replacement screws. Sorry I was such an alarmist last night (I had a few too many Zimas). It's just that when a $5000 toy fails to work, it's not like you can just run it over and exchange it for a new one at Target.

Anyway, the game just arrived. I have to head back to the office now, so this is going to be a long day waiting to get home an un-box. I'll post an update as to my experience and will follow up with my buddy to see if he's had any resolution to his issues.

WP_20150630_10_32_45_Pro.jpg

#32 4 years ago

Ummm.... your hand truck looks like it is on a side that says "DO NOT TRUCK FROM THIS SIDE".

And those hours of work are going to be the longest of your life.

#33 4 years ago

People still drink Zimas?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

People still drink Zimas?

They still make Zima, or is it a leftover stash from 1995?

#35 4 years ago

I don't think they make Zima's anymore.

My experience has been that people from Minnesota generally have pretty good taste when it comes to beer.

I think the entire state likely would have boycotted Zimas just on general principle.

Hope the game turns out ok.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

They still make Zima, or is it a leftover stash from 1995?

Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

According to their Wiki page, Zima is still marketed in Japan (it ceased in the U.S. in 2008):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zima_(drink)

I'm getting nervous for the delivery of my KISS Pro tomorrow.

Relax, Minneapolispin. I'm sure everything will be cool.

Here's a nice cold one for when you get home:

fwx-homemade-zima.jpg

#37 4 years ago

I just got mine set up and it's not working out of the box too! UGH............ I'm uploading a video now and will post the link.

1. First time powered up, only the display lit up -no back box or playfield lights.
2. Second power up, everything lights. Go in and set to free play. Start game. 10-20 seconds into the game, sound and display freeze up. Flippers and pop bumpers work. Will not start a new game.
3. Third power up, seems to work fine. I have to update the free play again. Game seems to play fine. Start next game and same freezing issues start up. Ball drains and the lost ball mode begins.
4. Fourth power up, seems to work fine. Play a little and when ball drains, the next balls doesn't launch. Then the missing ball function kicks in.
5. Fifth time powering up. Now the 'Trying to locate balls" function kicks in. Will not start.

Video coming soon.....

#38 4 years ago

What software revision is on there?

#40 4 years ago

Here is a direct quote from someone having issues last night when they got there's out of the box:

"I reseated the SD card (as Stern instructed) and opened the coin door to credits, maybe 10 seconds later it froze up again. So I repeated the process and was able to boot, add credits, and start a new game. Maybe 2 minutes into that game, the sound stopped (like it's done before) but it kept playing without sound for another minute. Once I shot the ball into Gene's head, it froze up completely again. So again for the 3rd time, I powered it of, reseated the SD card, and powered back up. This time only the Stern logo came on and no other activity."

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

My experience has been that people from Minnesota generally have pretty good taste when it comes to beer.
I think the entire state likely would have boycotted Zimas just on general principle.
Hope the game turns out ok.

Everyone likes to have "zomething ziffernt"

I remeber drinking those in high school, ahh the memories.

#42 4 years ago

Man this sucks hearing this. One pin problem, maybe. But 2??? I hate hearing this since this is a NIB purchase for you and it sucks out the excitement of getting one. I hope your matter is resolved quickly and I hope Stern fixes it soon for the future orders.

#43 4 years ago

Here's a video of literally the first 10 minutes of this game's life out of the box. I'll call Stern customer service in the morning. Now when I power it on, it just goes into "missing ball mode". Any suggestions are very appreciated.

#44 4 years ago

Mine has been on location for a few weeks now with around 1000 plays and no problems to report. Stern will straighten it out for you and get these flukes resolved.

#45 4 years ago

Maybe a loose connector? My brother had this issue with his Mustang not too long ago.

#46 4 years ago

Any idea what connector? The main issue now is it not being able to find the balls when powered up?

#48 4 years ago

Stern QC is AWFUL. Fortunately Pat and his team do offer great support but that doesn't change the fact that what leaves the factory is often less than perfect

#49 4 years ago

Just play T2... ................Joey

#50 4 years ago

What happens if you turn it off after setting it on free play, then turn it on and continue? I'm thinking that might at least keep you from having to keep doing it.

(Sorry you're having these problems.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 263.55
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside