View topic image gallery

IMAG0646.jpg
IMAG0645.jpg
IMG_1121.jpg
IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

All of my switches have gone out. 41 to be exact. So while lifting the playfield to inspect the entire playfield comes off the track and drops into the f**king cabinet!! How the Hell did this happen?? I pulled it out as usual and waited for it to stop before lifting up. It never did and fell inside the cabinet. I was able to put the playfield back on the track. Everything seems to be ok but I'm not 100% sure. I can't play a game because all the switches are out. The switches went out before I lifted the playfield. I can't find anything disconnected but I'm new to this and might be missing something. Can someone tell me where to look first? Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 8 years ago

No idea what may have gone wrong. You'll get some good suggestions here.

I'd call Stern tech support tomorrow 1-800-kickers and run it by them.

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

Any idea what caused the playfield to come off the track? I've lifted this thing countless times and never had an issue. Now I'm scared to death to raise it again.

#4 8 years ago

You're not the first to drop a playfield into the cab. I can say that it's only happened to me once fortunately.
In my case, I think I just pulled it too far forward but honestly, I don't even recall.
Don't feel too bad.

#5 8 years ago

Take pics of sliders and make sure your retaining pegs did not come off. Take a look inside cabinet through coin door with a flash light and inspect every corner and see if there are any screws or hardware sitting in bottom of cab and report back, if you need pics of what I am talking about I will post them

#6 8 years ago

Please post a pic. I think I know what u are referring to but not certain.

#7 8 years ago

Not that familiar with Spike, but I've been working on Sterns and B/W for years. If all switches are out you could have a large connector loose in the bottom of the cab that connects the playfield to the backbox. It could also be a board problem, but for your sake I hope not.

#8 8 years ago

give me 3 minutes, I am on it.

#9 8 years ago

It's been 4 minutes. ......just sayin

#10 8 years ago

Check these trouble shooting questions post back with findings. Did you find any loose nuts or bolts inside cab? Are the bolts holding sliders tight? Do you have 3 carriage bolts on both sides (6 total 3 on each side) of the cabinet firmly in place that hold play field and the brackets? Check to see if your brackets are reversed if they are they will NOT look like the last picture here as you can see mine is "L" shaped acting as a stopper the back end of bracket is just a little bump/hill (last pic is of play field down). Report back on findings and let me know if any of your pics do not look like mine.

IMG_1115.jpgIMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1116.jpgIMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1118.jpgIMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1120.jpgIMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1121.jpgIMG_1121.jpg

#11 8 years ago

Just make sure the connectors are all seated properly on the node boards under the playfield.

#12 8 years ago

No loose nuts or bolts found. All bolts are just like yours. Brackets are not reversed. I pulled the playfield out. Once I went past the bump that's when it fell inside. I don't know what went wrong. Machine powers up and Paul belt runs self test. Just all my switches are out. I won't even try to play it to see if there's any damage from the playfield drop until the switches are working.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Just make sure the connectors are all seated properly on the node boards under the playfield.

Good points, but lets make sure your pin is first structurally sound and is able to support the play field.

#14 8 years ago

look on the sides go your play field is there a large gap on either side? Are your slide rails on play field all the way to the edge of wood on play field? Are there any gaps in-between where cab box and back lower panel of pin box are. Does it look like if you were to push the play field all the war to right or left you would have a noticeable gap? We gotta figure out why your play field fell in box first so it does not happen again.

#15 8 years ago

Are these loose connectors inside the coin door supposed to connect to something?

IMAG0645.jpgIMAG0645.jpg

IMAG0646.jpgIMAG0646.jpg

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Are these loose connectors inside the coin door supposed to connect to something?

Bill validator, and not the problem with your game. Sorry.

#17 8 years ago

take some pics of your slider brackets

#18 8 years ago

Take off the backglass and see if any of the connectors came loose. If the playfield fell into the cabinet it may have tugged on the wiring harness feed into the backbox.

Oh this is a Spike system, probably a connector under the playfield.

#19 8 years ago

I've lowered the playfield and I'm not sure if I wanna raise again until a pro looks at it. I'm gonna call my distributor tomorrow and see what he says. Can't believe this s**t is happening on something so expensive and new. I'm gonna call it a night..I'm beyond pissed right now. Thanks a lot for all your help and I'll post again when I have something to report.

#20 8 years ago

Can't believe this s**t is happening on something so expensive and new. I'm gonna call it a night..I'm beyond pissed right now.

Switches really sound like a loose/disconnected connector - I wouldnt get too concerned just yet. Have you looked inside the Backbox?

I've had a Stern PF drop inside the cab also - was my first Stern after only Williams so didnt know how the mechanism was different. There was no damage, so you should be fine.

#21 8 years ago

This happened to a local KISS LE owner, too. Shortly after the playfield fell into the cabinet we used the game in a tournament and realized the tilt wasn't working, then realized a few others weren't working either. Upon closer inspection, a wire over by the tilt had been sheared off by the playfield when it fell. Soldered the wire back together and all was well. I'm guessing something similar happened here.

My question is, what did Stern change about the mounting/rails to make it so easy for these playfields to flop into the cabinet? The guy who owns the one I mentioned is an experienced collector and operator and has pulled out many playfields over the years without incident.

#22 8 years ago

The switches weren't working before the playfield fell. That's why I lifted it in the first place to see what was wrong. I was able to set 10 switches back in service. The rest won't let me.

#23 8 years ago

I'm gonna call it a night..I'm beyond pissed right now.

I am sorry you have problems.

You will get through it.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I am sorry you have problems.
You will get through it.

Thank you. Something tells me that maybe I'm not experienced enough to be a pinball owner.

#25 8 years ago

Thank you. Something tells me that maybe I'm not experienced enough to be a pinball owner.

Nonsense. This is how you learn. It's all going to be fine.

#26 8 years ago

Experience only comes with.....well......experience. This is really the only way you'll learn.

And your game is still under warranty. Stern & or your distributor will help you resolve the issues.

#27 8 years ago

Was the game turned on when the playfield fell into the cab?

#28 8 years ago

Big toy like a pinball machine has many benefits - fun to play, and teaches you heaps about electrical/mechanical thingys. Here is the place to learn. Sometimes it's best to get someone nearby to pop over, or Skype someone for advice and a look through. Pretty much everything is fixable, and usually easily. Diagnosis is the only trick but, and that comes with experience. A tech will do it for you, but cost you, or use the font of knowledge here.

#29 8 years ago

Any idea what caused the playfield to come off the track? I've lifted this thing countless times and never had an issue. Now I'm scared to death to raise it again.

Notorious and long standing issue with DE/Sega/Stern games. It is not a new thing, and OP is not the first or last person it will happen to.

#30 8 years ago

A lot of people have dropped the playfield into the cabinet with their first Stern. Those little brackets don't have a catch but instead only have that little hump to indicate to stop pulling the playfield forward. If you pull beyond the end hump the playfield falls in.

Don't get discouraged. We all had to start somewhere in the learning process. I am sure with the help of Stern phone/tech support and some helpful Pinsiders you will be guided through getting everything up and running again.

For starters, there are videos about how to lift the playfield properly.

www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=RgjnQOQHEqQ

#31 8 years ago

Here is a video on how to test the game in the menu:

#32 8 years ago

For the game not working issue, the first thing I would check is the fuses.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

A lot of people have dropped the playfield into the cabinet with their first Stern. Those little brackets don't have a catch but instead only have that little hump to indicate to stop pulling the playfield forward. If you pull beyond the end hump the playfield falls in.
Don't get discouraged. We all had to start somewhere in the learning process.

I agree 100% with this!!! I had never done it before a with a williams but did it with ACDC pretty quickly. It was fine in the end. I do think all you are dealing with switch wise is a loose connection.

#34 8 years ago

Thanks for all the positive comments. The machine was off and unplugged. I NEVER lift the pf with the power on. As far as the pf dropping I pulled it out past the hump. Then kept pulling and waiting for the "stop". That's when I stop and lift up. The "stop" never came and it dropped. Never had a problem with this pf before. The bad switches are spread out over CN25 CN7 CN11 CN5 CN6 CN14 CN10 CN11 CN12 CN7 CN3 CN1. Btw I watched that Stern assembly video about 20x before I got the machine. Too bad they didn't mention how to avoid the pf dropping. I emailed my distributor and he said he's not too familiar with Spike and call Chas at Stern. I work 10 hr days so I don't really know how much time I can be on hold on the phone.

#35 8 years ago

Thanks for all the positive comments. The machine was off and unplugged. I NEVER lift the pf with the power on. As far as the pf dropping I pulled it out past the hump. Then kept pulling and waiting for the "stop". That's when I stop and lift up. The "stop" never came and it dropped. Never had a problem with this pf before. The bad switches are spread out over CN25 CN7 CN11 CN5 CN6 CN14 CN10 CN11 CN12 CN7 CN3 CN1. Btw I watched that Stern assembly video about 20x before I got the machine. Too bad they didn't mention how to avoid the pf dropping. I emailed my distributor and he said he's not too familiar with Spike and call Chas at Stern. I work 10 hr days so I don't really know how much time I can be on hold on the phone.

PM me with your number and I will FaceTime you when you are off of work. I will try to get you up and running tonight if you have time.

#36 8 years ago

Yep - I have to put my hand up. I have also dropped a stern PF into cab wtf. It was my first Stern, I was used to Bally mech where it's nearly impossible to accidentally drop PF. Not sure if I had PF to far forward or not straight when lifting up. Now knowing what to look for I have not done it again...I'm sure you will be ok to. Good luck with switch prob, hope you get it sorted soon.

#37 8 years ago

I dropped my playfield on the first machine I owned. Live and learn. Some day you'll be telling a future pinsider the same thing.

#38 8 years ago

I NEVER lift the pf with the power on.

Ha! Someday you will.

I made a post similar to yours about nine years ago on RGP. Good guys like many in this thread came to my rescue. Some skinned knuckles, splattered solder and missing tools later, I can now give advice. You will too I hope if you choose to give back to the community.

And the great thing is, I'm still learning as there are some very smart and creative people here.

You may find in time that playing a game will become secondary to wrenching on a machine. So don't be concerned that you may have done some secret, un-seen permanent damage to your machine. You haven't, everything is repairable and often times improved upon.

You dropped the playfield, I say good for you. Years ago while bent halfway over into my cabinet vacuuming broken glass, a sudden gust of wind caused the playfield to fall on top of me.

Lessons learned: Don't work in the driveway on certain days and make up a good excuse for that bleeding cut on your head.

#39 8 years ago

You live in Cleveland? There must be dozens of fellow pinsiders / others that can help out nearby..

#40 8 years ago

Click on the Pinside map here.. there's a 100 in your area.. someone can walk you thru checking your machine

#41 8 years ago

Thanks for the tip!

#42 8 years ago

I NEVER lift the pf with the power on. As far as the pf dropping I pulled it out past the hump. Then kept pulling and waiting for the "stop". That's when I stop and lift up. The "stop" never came and it dropped.

That sounds like you were expecting something like a 90s game where the playfield was on mechs that would click into position, and then go up. I love lifting my Getaway playfield because it does that. Pick up and slide, snap, and then up. Those were the days.

#43 8 years ago

I've dropped a playfield into the cabinet before. Now I know to be careful going forward. But its defiantly a shitty feeling when it happens. good luck with your repair. I'm sure stern will straighten it out. Keep us posted I'm interested to hear what it ends up being.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

You dropped the playfield, I say good for you. Years ago while bent halfway over into my cabinet vacuuming broken glass, a sudden gust of wind caused the playfield to fall on top of me.

I've had this happen before. Ouch.

The underside of a playfield really hurts.

#45 8 years ago

DE when the playfield falls it takes out the flipper driver board in the lower left of the cab

Don't give up, you, pinside & Stern will get your pin up and running

#46 8 years ago

Don't worry about damage from the playfield dropping into the cabinet. Don't focus on that anymore. You simply pulled it out too far. Rather then needing a pro to lift the playfield in the future, simply learn from that.

It's almost worthless to lift the playfield with the machine off anyway. Especially if you're diagnosing a switch issue.

Stern has good support. If you can't call them due to work then send an email at least. Most of us haven't worked on spike enough to help because the two spike games aren't hugely popular. I think this would change after got is out.

#47 8 years ago

Quick trip home I decided to load last known firmware 1.04. Guess what? No errors!!! Is anyone else having problems since updating to 1.05?? I emailed Stern and told them about the issue. Seems like a buggy code. I got my fingers crossed this problem won't crop up again. Thanks to everyone for their help. By the way there appears to be no damage from my PF drop. Only had time for one game and Love Gun multiball went off without a hitch.

#48 8 years ago

glad you got it squared away! Enjoy

#49 8 years ago

Sweet bro...all good lessons to learn......now take a day off and play the sh#t out of that thing... .............Joey

#50 8 years ago

Good news - nothing like a good code update to fix the worlds' woes. Enjoy your game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/major-kiss-premium-issues-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.