(Topic ID: 125564)

Major injuries due to a pinball related occurrence?

By Atomicboy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by mg81
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zzzzzzz.png
#1 9 years ago

Just curious of things you have heard of, or maybe had happened to you with someone getting badly hurt or electrocuted from some aspect of dealing with a pinball machine.

I have one pinball story that haunts me. I didn't result in an injury, but could have killed the guy if he landed a certain way...

I had a pinball machine go down my stairs with a friend one time as we were moving it up. It was a TAF (I bought a restored one instead). I use a fridge cart, but only ever used the strap around the middle that has the crank on it. The lip on the lift plate can be narrow on these.

At the top, for the last step, my friends that normally help me know to just lift the bottom of the cart a tad to get it up over the nose of the hardwood floor. I told my friend this time, who I just met, to lift it up for the last step, but he grabbed the machine, and hiked it really high (he's a strong guy). The machine slipped out above the lift plate, and out it went... down the stairs, me holding the cart and machine out of it, me still standing on the main floor. This was the first time I think I've ever experienced shock, it was like I was in dream for a few seconds.

He tumbled into a roll PERFECTLY down the stairs, and off to the left (the only safe place), which was pure luck. The TAF went down like a runaway train, hit the last step, and flipped upsidedown, smashing the glass and head flat. Had he had come to rest under that, head in the wrong spot..... Pinball would have been done for me to say the VERY LEAST. All was fine though, and he popped back up after we regained ourselves, and he said "ok, well let's flip it over and see how bad it is" - lol. New head prepared by a guy near me, no damage at all to anything else really, PF fine, boards fine, cab broken at all corners, but perfectly, and glued back perfect, just glass... ugg cleaning that out of a machine is the worst. In the end, he bought it, at an obvious discounted price, and we remain friends.

I didn't sleep for the next couple nights. He is a family guy, very young kids at the time.... I still think of this quite a bit, and what could have happened in a split second of what should have been a great new machine for him, and meeting a new pinhead for the both of us. Since, I use a crank strap around the bottom of the machine and cart so there isn't even a 1/4 inch of movement, and another backup around the mid area.

...but I can't stop thinking of it, as I should have seen this possible issue before, and this could have resulted in a seriously bad scenario.

#2 9 years ago

Glad he was alright, id have been in shock as well.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Since, I use a crank strap around the bottom of the machine and cart so there isn't even a 1/4 inch of movement,

Great idea, I'm using it.

#3 9 years ago

Luckily I've never had that happen. I tore up the vinyl flooring at the top of my stairs when my friend (non-pinhead) and I moved my TAF downstairs and I remember the anxious feeling that it could get away and bowl me over. Now my machines get completely disassembled before going up or down. Head, playfield, cabinet and glass - all separate trips and I can do it myself. Still worry a cabinet could get away, but that would be the extent of the damage.

Glad everything turned out alright for you, that could have been a very ugly situation.

#4 9 years ago

My poor wallet has been smashed flat on a number of occasions. One of these times the poor little guy isn't gonna recover!

#5 9 years ago

Had a two person sit down final lap come down off the truck to quickly on mine and my buddies foot, breaking a bone each. Probably should have had steel toes on so its our fault! I know, not pinball, but still arcade injury

#6 9 years ago

yo aea. that is so crazy. i JUST told this story yesterday to the guys who picked up my DM and said that is why i use 2 straps on the dolly from now on! it is scary taking up a 300 pound machine up my 100 year old narrow stairs. very dangerous. should be using 3 straps to be extra safe!

#7 9 years ago

I wish more people realized about the load being lifted over the "foot" of a dolly when the person on the bottom is trying to help by lifting instead of pushing up the stairs.

This happened to me with a refrigerator, luckily they are lighter and the lower person was able to keep it from going down the stairs, but I feel over backwards as the load went off of the cart.

You just don't think about this happening until you see it once in person. You think the load is strapped onto the cart but when you lift up the load and not the cart bad things happen if you don't strap the bottom edge of the load to the cart.

You see all of those various warning labels on carts and tools, this would actually be a useful one to have on a cart as it is not obvious.

#8 9 years ago

yes. one day while moving a goldeneye i was in a hurry to get home so i just didnt lift properly. gave myself a herniated disc, and through some miracle of anatomy this also forced me to pass a few kidney stones that were happily lurking inside of me. i spent about six hours in the hospital laying on my side with my dick in one of those medical receptacle thingys. every twenty or so minutes i would pee a little over 32 ounces and they ran tests on it till i was good to go. fuckin sucked, but i learned my lesson; always take the split second to make sure your lifting something the right way.

#9 9 years ago

I'm surprised nobody has lost a limb (or head) while working under a raised PF. It's such a guillotine in that position.
-mof

#10 9 years ago

A Motorsport engineer who used to do work for me almost got killed by an EM machine. He touched something live in there and he was getting fully buzzed with 240 volts. Luckily his wife just happened to walk in the room, saw it and quickly shut the machine off at the wall.

His heart was all out of sync ... He had to go to the hospital and have it "normalized" Another few seconds of the 240v and he probably would have been dead.

rd.

#11 9 years ago

I took a game into my heated barn from the cold garage of the seller.

When I opened it, it was full of awakened hornets.

zzzzzzz.pngzzzzzzz.png
#12 9 years ago

my former SMBMW pin wasn't quite what I expected when I bought it... it hurt my feelings in a major way. does that count ?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'm surprised nobody has lost a limb (or head) while working under a raised PF. It's such a guillotine in that position.
-mof

lol, every time I have to use the flimsy one sided kick stand in STTNG more so than any other widebody I have, I think of this. I rarely do, and between pulling it out, and lifting it up, I can do most of what I need, but the odd time I have to... and each time there is that pause and observe before I go under. It's... it's an uncomfortable couple seconds haha.

Quoted from rotordave:

A Motorsport engineer who used to do work for me almost got killed by an EM machine. He touched something live in there and he was getting fully buzzed with 240 volts. Luckily his wife just happened to walk in the room, saw it and quickly shut the machine off at the wall.
His heart was all out of sync ... He had to go to the hospital and have it "normalized" Another few seconds of the 240v and he probably would have been dead.
rd.

I really wondered the most about electrocution incidents with this thread. These games have high power that can get out of control in a situation where you are bending into a somewhat caged trap for the most part, and are always leaning on plenty of fully grounded parts. It's a lot more dangerous than people give it credit for.

I always check grounds in the game against the plug before plugging it in, to at least have the piece of mind that if something went wrong, the load should at the very least trip my home's safety protection.

#14 9 years ago

That's why I bought an Escalara. Always use an extra strap around the machine and never let anyone stand under it going up or down. I've watched people carry wide bodies by hand and am always thinking that they're one slip away from disaster. Lot's of smart, successful people in pinball but good judgement tends to take a backseat to the excitement of getting the game set-up.

The Escalara has worked great for me except one time when I was moving a TS down the stairs. I let the machine get too upright and it flipped over. Thankfully it was only one step above the landing before the stairs did a 90 degree turn. The gun handle made a hole in the drywall and the cabinet separated a little at the corner, but no one got hurt - except my pride.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I really wondered the most about electrocution incidents with this thread. These games have high power that can get out of control in a situation where you are bending into a somewhat caged trap for the most part, and are always leaning on plenty of fully grounded parts. It's a lot more dangerous than people give it credit for.
I always check grounds in the game against the plug before plugging it in, to at least have the piece of mind that if something went wrong, the load should at the very least trip my home's safety protection.

I've imported about 15 pins from the states, and honestly, at least half of them (probably more) have the ground pin cut off the power plug. Crazy.

The first thing I do when I convert them to 240v is remove all the old power cords and biff them in the rubbish regardless (it's usually 20-30 years old anyway) and fit a new flex and NZ plug.

rd.

#16 9 years ago

Helped a friend move a pin to a guy he sold it to and he herniated his disc. I have an inversion table I will let him use, hopefully it helps.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

That's why I bought an Escalara.

I know, and I'm an idiot at this point for not buying one... If you have a lot of pins, and move them here and there, the $3k or whatever it is for one of these as opposed to the damage to your back is peanuts...

I've considered buying this so many times, and I'm not quite sure why I have not...

#18 9 years ago

Had two guys come over and pick up a game. They moved it on a hand truck up a few steps. Person at the bottom lifted the game off the dolly and it fell on the guy at the top of the stairs.

Guy fortunately was not hurt. They strapped the game back on the hand truck. The guy on the bottom lifted it again, it came off the hand truck and it knock the top guy down again. They should probably switch places next time....

Eric

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I've imported about 15 pins from the states, and honestly, at least half of them (probably more) have the ground pin cut off the power plug. Crazy.
The first thing I do when I convert them to 240v is remove all the old power cords and biff them in the rubbish regardless (it's usually 20-30 years old anyway) and fit a new flex and NZ plug.
rd.

We don't just cut the grounding plug off when we export them to you, they were already cut-off years ago. Your numbers are about right, at least half the pins I get are missing the grounding plug.

Luckily with us only running 110v in the States it does not "bite" as much if some metal part on the pin gets electrified with line current.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/major-injuries-due-to-a-pinball-related-occurrence and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.