IMG_4885 (resized).JPG
U51 (resized).png
IMG_4760 (resized).JPG
IMG_4757 (resized).JPG
IMG_4751 (resized).JPG
IMG_4688 (resized).JPG
20170312_125508 (resized).jpg
20170311_130238 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjchand.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

He's got the original that's in ok shape. A good cleanup and repair isn't going to cost him any money if he does it himself.
Besides, it's very fulfilling to bring a board back from the dead.

Also, there's a large community on this site that has *very* extensive experience and knowledge with the stock Sys11 boards. If/when the Rottendog stuff has issues, it's less likely that experts can be found to help out. Just my $0.02.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Dennis33:

While looking at the playfield I found a 2.2k mfd, 250V cap hanging onto the right flipper with one leg disconnected. I don't know if it was ever connected or it fell off at one time. It's the big yellow one in the first picture. Does it belong there? There isn't one on the other flippers.

You have to mismatched flipper coils there. The one on the left is a serial wound coil, which is what is stock to the machine. The one on the right is a parallel wound coil, which does use that capacitor that’s hanging off of it. The capacitor helps prevent arcing, which keeps the contacts of the flipper buttons and the end of stroke switch from pitting as quickly. So, you’ll want to make sure you get that put back correctly.

Based on the coloring ( there is a color code for flipper strength which is mentioned in the link at the end of this post ), it looks like you might be two levels weaker on that flipper coil than it should be.

Nothing to worry about, except possibly for one thing. I can’t find what that part number is for the coil on the right, but I suspect it’s not the right strength of coil.

Vid’s flipper replacement guide, he goes into great detail about the purpose and writing of that cap as well as which parallel wound coil is equivalent to the same serial wound part. More on equivalents and other bits here: https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Dennis33:

Thanks @cjchand!
So should I replace the right flipper coil, or replace the cap. I never had a problem with that flipper when the machine was working.
Here's a better picture of the coil.
[quoted image]

Oh! Seems the color coding isn’t relevant in this case. That part number (SFL-23/600...) is indeed the right part.

I read differing opinions on whether the cap is useful for serial wound coils (which this one is). It won’t hurt if it’s wired in, but it is definitely not needed.

So, like my wife does, feel free to ignore my “wisdom”

3 weeks later
#103 4 years ago
Quoted from Dennis33:

pinballmaniac40 I did exactly that and I can't get past the Music Test and I can get to the Music Test with the Center Button either up or down. Now I'm also getting Adjust Failure Right Outlane 32, but everything works fine.

Nevermind... didn't see @dumbass' reply

#114 4 years ago

Not a direct answer to your question, but definitely worth a read: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers

#116 4 years ago

No problem.

Vid has Godlike status here - for good reason. He’s got really really helpful threads on all manner of restoration (Playfield, cab, waxing (yes, people debate how a Playfield should be waxed )).

Definitely seek out his wisdom, as his posts cover most anything related to pin maintenance or restoration.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjchand.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/major-cpu-board-repair-on-williams-high-speed-?tu=cjchand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.