Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Wickerman2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keithm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

So I've been doing my pinball survey research this past week, and one of the complaints that came up frequently in the results was that machines cost too much to fix and maintain. The opinion was that machines should be easier to maintain and more reliable, which might even make the games appealing to bars & Dave & Busters again.

Two questions:

1. Is a maintenance free pinball machine (at least, better than what we currently have) even possible?

2. What's a maintenance headache that would make angels sing if resolved?

I haven't bought any pins myself yet...just finally found a job again. I'm hungry to get one, though I'm not the most tech savvy when it comes to repairs like this. I get a headache just thinking about it!

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

A virtual pin?
    The multimorphic machine might be good for a dave and buster's.

Yeah, a virtual pin could be cool. Of course, without the physical feel and objects to hit I can see purists playing a game or two before moving on.

Sounds like easy access to all parts of the machine (without having to remove & lose a bunch of screws, etc.) would be a decent step forward, something Heighway has put some quality energy into.

Makes me think of modern cars and how they have onboard computers that mechanics can dial into quickly to diagnose issues. Maybe pinball needs that.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Generally speaking fixing the most common issues is cheap.....often times free. It does not cost you a dime to adjust a switch (probably the #1 issue).
    Bulbs.....cheap. Rubber......cheap. Even most of the electronic parts are pretty cheap to replace.
    Time.....that will be the most valuable thing you spend fixing machines......but that's a big part of it being a "hobby".

Yeah, time. But what about frequency? How long should a machine go--or how many games--before you're expected to tear it open and start reviewing stuff? I suppose you could ask the same thing about your car...

I recall a thread a few months back about an arcade documenting all the different repairs they had to make in a day or week. Even my local mini golf/arcade that has about ten Sterns and a WOZ seems to have at least one machine down when I go in there a few times a month...sometimes even two or three.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keithm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maintenance-free-pinball-machines?tu=keithm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.