2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mlauer99
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Good morning,

New account here. I had a little scare with my Gottlieb 4-Square machine, thankfully I was able to figure it out. I found where a contact underneath the ball kicker wasn't meeting, preventing the game from starting. A slight bending with my needle nose pliers fixed the issue. But it did take me a bit to diagnose online. I ended up getting a good hint on reddit. Anyway, it's made me think about how long I can keep this machine running myself. I've been trying to research EM machine maintenance, but a lot of it gets pretty technical. I've played on this machine as a kid and inherited it from my grandma when she passed. It has a lot of sentimental value and my own kids like playing on it. I don't know for certain but I'd wager it's never seen maintenance. Just going by the fact that the "ball 3" light has never worked in the 38 years I've been alive. I almost don't want to fix it.

I've replaced the rubber and polished the playing field. I know how to lift it up and look inside. I can identify some parts like the fuses, tilt sensor, and chime box. I see a circular wheel that must be one of those stepper units I've been reading about. The game counter is around 11k. The game itself functions normally, the only obvious issue is a couple burnt bulbs.

- I've read about disassembling stepper units and oiling them. I'm looking for a laymans guide or video, preferably one for Gottlieb 4-Square.
    - What other maintenance items can or should I be considering? I don't solder very often but can manage if I need.
    - Is there such a thing as hiring someone for an EM tuneup/inspection? If so, how much would that cost?

#2 2 years ago

Things to do:

- Change out burnt bulbs
    - Clean and wax the playfield (search on this site for proper method)
    - Throw out the old ball and put in a new one.
    - Play the game. EMs stop working when they sit unplayed.

Other than that don't monkey with anything that is working fine. Unless something is really gunked up, just playing it should keep it in shape. And unplug the machine if you do touch anything. You don't want to get shocked or short out a bunch of bulbs.

Also, perhaps check the power cord and make sure it's in good shape and has a ground. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from mlauer99:

Is there such a thing as hiring someone for an EM tuneup/inspection? If so, how much would that cost?

Yes, that IS a thing. Tell us where you live and that will help us estimate the cost.
    .................David Marston

#4 2 years ago

I live in Wentzville MO 63385, around 30 minutes out of St Louis.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maintaining-my-gottlieb-4square and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.