Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230609_210043 (resized).jpg
20230609_191729 (resized).jpg
Generic Power Box (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

Hi and thanks in advance.
I have a Getaway that is blowing the fuse on the side of the main power supply box when turned on. It also trips the rcd switch for that row of games. I am guessing that it is the power transformer but would appreciate any information or where to start testing.
Thanks again,
King-pin

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from king-pin:

Hi and thanks in advance.
I have a Getaway that is blowing the fuse on the side of the main power supply box when turned on. It also trips the rcd switch for that row of games. I am guessing that it is the power transformer but would appreciate any information or where to start testing.
Thanks again,
King-pin

Thermistor or Varistor gone bad in power box?

#3 1 year ago

You likely have a blown Rectifier on the power board creating a direct short to ground; there was a procedure on pinwiki for testing your rectifiers without having to remove the power board, I'll see if I can find it

#4 1 year ago

Could be bad power switch as well. Seen it before. Usually the bridge rectifiers have their own respective fuses.

#5 1 year ago

So, immediate power fuse for the whole game blowing.

It's possible/common for this to be right in your power box.

So, unplug your game, replace the fuse, then trace the power plug to the transformer. Unplug that. This leaves only the silver box in the circuit. Plug in power. If it blows the fuse, you have a problem with stuff in the silver box. (It's the only stuff in the circuit).

I think there may be a 120V connection to the bill acceptor plug on the coin door. Trace this wire, make sure that it isn't pinched or compromised.

Next test is a bit harder because the plugs for the transformer are quite hard to pull apart!

Because it's actually easier to pull the plugs from the board in the backbox, I'd disconnect:

Sound Board: J501
Dot Matrix: J605
Power Driver: Upper right side J101 and J102. Upper left corner J112, lower right side General Illumination J115.

Once you've got those six plugs disconnected, check and see that the wiring harness isn't pinched or compromised. Make sure your power fuse is un-blown. Then apply power. At this point you've only got the transformer in the circuit. If the fuse blows you could try disconnecting the plugs at the transformer just to make absolutely sure that the wiring harness isn't mysteriously compromised... but it's looking like a transformer. I've replaced 5 transformers in my career. It's not at all a common failure.

But suppose with only the transformer connected the main power fuse doesn't blow. At that point I would check every fuse in the backbox and make sure that nothing has been overfused. Then I'd start thinking about trying to isolate the power driver board. The easiest path here is to disconnect every plug on the power driver board, and only plug in J101. Then if the fuse doesn't blow, plug in J102. If the fuse blows now, pull the power driver board and start testing bridge rectifiers.

Do all that, and let us know what you find!

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Usually the bridge rectifiers have their own respective fuses.

They do, but since they are slow blow and the main fuse is a fast blow the bridge can be shorted and the instant on current can blow the main fuse first. You may even see the bridge fuse glow.

#7 1 year ago

I like Pictures ... Remove the three connectors shown and you half split the power box and transformer from the head.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8 1 year ago

Thanks for the info, will report back tomorrow.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

So, immediate power fuse for the whole game blowing.
It's possible/common for this to be right in your power box.
So, unplug your game, replace the fuse, then trace the power plug to the transformer. Unplug that. This leaves only the silver box in the circuit. Plug in power. If it blows the fuse, you have a problem with stuff in the silver box. (It's the only stuff in the circuit).
I think there may be a 120V connection to the bill acceptor plug on the coin door. Trace this wire, make sure that it isn't pinched or compromised.
Next test is a bit harder because the plugs for the transformer are quite hard to pull apart!
Because it's actually easier to pull the plugs from the board in the backbox, I'd disconnect:
Sound Board: J501
Dot Matrix: J605
Power Driver: Upper right side J101 and J102. Upper left corner J112, lower right side General Illumination J115.
Once you've got those six plugs disconnected, check and see that the wiring harness isn't pinched or compromised. Make sure your power fuse is un-blown. Then apply power. At this point you've only got the transformer in the circuit. If the fuse blows you could try disconnecting the plugs at the transformer just to make absolutely sure that the wiring harness isn't mysteriously compromised... but it's looking like a transformer. I've replaced 5 transformers in my career. It's not at all a common failure.
But suppose with only the transformer connected the main power fuse doesn't blow. At that point I would check every fuse in the backbox and make sure that nothing has been overfused. Then I'd start thinking about trying to isolate the power driver board. The easiest path here is to disconnect every plug on the power driver board, and only plug in J101. Then if the fuse doesn't blow, plug in J102. If the fuse blows now, pull the power driver board and start testing bridge rectifiers.
Do all that, and let us know what you find!

Went through step one and fuse still blew so problem is in the silver box.

#10 1 year ago

Here's what you will find inside, all of the red items in this picture are fireproof insulators these should be in place.

Generic Power Box (resized).pngGeneric Power Box (resized).png
#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Here's what you will find inside, all of the red items in this picture are fireproof insulators these should be in place.[quoted image]

Here is a picture of mine, thermistor and varistor were touching when I opened it up.

20230609_191729 (resized).jpg20230609_191729 (resized).jpg
#12 1 year ago

Ok,booted the game with box off thermistor sparks.problem found. Thanks.

#13 1 year ago

I have some 2.5kohms ntc 1419 thermistors .
Are these compatible or can you please tell me their values. Thanks.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from king-pin:

I have some 2.5kohms ntc 1419 thermistors .
Are these compatible or can you please tell me their values. Thanks.

The one in the game that is.

#15 1 year ago

Just looked up the one in the machine same value, 2.5

20230609_210043 (resized).jpg20230609_210043 (resized).jpg
#16 1 year ago
Quoted from king-pin:

Ok,booted the game with box off thermistor sparks.problem found. Thanks.

Excellent!

#17 1 year ago

Swapped out the thermistor and still blowing fuse, Will swap out the varistor next.
Have some that are a little bit bigger but will check the value of them,the fact that I have them makes me believe that they will be the same.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Potomac Falls, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Westerville, OH
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 72.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.