• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ADA2FD05-32F8-4238-9B6D-9A3A1EF47F18 (resized).jpeg
E61A5669-B9E1-4670-A64D-746CB90484A0 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone. I brought home a Police Force project yesterday and I’ve encountered a first for me. The main 8am SB fuse in the cabinet by the transformer blows instantly when the machine is turned on.

I have removed all of the connections to the power board in the backbox hoping I could narrow it down but it’s still popping as soon as the switch is flipped to turn on the machine.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

#2 4 years ago

Did you try to reseat the connectors on the transformer? Also check in the box that the fuse goes in that there is nothing shorting out.

#3 4 years ago

tonyhoff1 thank you. I removed the cover and it looks really toasty in there but I’m not seeing anything obvious. Reseating and cleaning all of the transformer contacts as well.

ADA2FD05-32F8-4238-9B6D-9A3A1EF47F18 (resized).jpegADA2FD05-32F8-4238-9B6D-9A3A1EF47F18 (resized).jpegE61A5669-B9E1-4670-A64D-746CB90484A0 (resized).jpegE61A5669-B9E1-4670-A64D-746CB90484A0 (resized).jpeg
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from dearliza98:

I removed the cover and it looks really toasty in there but I’m not seeing anything obvious.

Do you see the 2 red wires under the other wires? Cut both of the red wires off of the line filter (square box). Once you remove this you will need to replace it, it is call a MOV (metal oxide varistor).

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5017-09044-00

#5 4 years ago

Unplug the machine first!!!!

#6 4 years ago

GRUMPY thank you. Machine is unplugged! Yes I saw the red wires in there. Just to be clear, I’m cutting off both of those existing red wires, I will replace with the item you suggested. I’m going to solder those wires to the box contacts.

Should I be concerned that the new wires have exposed metal instead of the insulation it has now? Does it matter which side attaches or is it reversible? Thank you!

#7 4 years ago

The red is just an insulation cover that you will reuse on the new MOV when you solder it in place. You don't have to mount it underneath like the original one either, it can be reversed too. Most important is that the leads are covered to prevent them from touching metal as they are 120 volts AC. You can use the game after you remove the old one, just plug machine into a surge protector until you replace it.

#8 4 years ago

GRUMPY I replaced the MOV and we have signs of life! Thank you.

#9 4 years ago

Playball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/main-fuse-in-police-force-cabinet-?hl=tonyhoff1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.